Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Most Unusual Country You Have Visited?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kosovo.. an odd place to spend a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Serbia, bosnia, ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cc4life

Kosovo.. an odd place to spend a couple of months

Ya i've been to Serbia too..nice place..oooh controversy :)

Cuba, China, Belarus, Ukraine, Mongolia to name but a few

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cc4life wrote: »
    Ya i've been to Serbia too..nice place..oooh controversy :)

I worked with a lot of Croats, a few Serbs and then Kosovans, only for one of the Croats who liked beer and a hotel full of German cops it would have been a fairly depressing place tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Im going to presume 'most unusual' to be 'biggest ****hole' you've ever visited to which my nomination would go to Saudi Arabia.

Ghastly, backward dump ruled by religious nutjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

What! Bosnia is a lovely country and the people are really friendly especially the muslims.
    Fair enough!

I spent two nights in Montenegro. A really stunning landscape. Very poor transport infrastructure. The people were so kind though. Everything was so cheap (their currency is euro so easy to compare). I'd go back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Haiti

Bahrain

I worked with a lot of Croats, a few Serbs and then Kosovans, only for one of the Croats who liked beer and a hotel full of German cops it would have been a fairly depressing place tbh.

ah I was only in Belgrade and Novi Sad to the north myself..nice part of the world.. fair rough in the kosobo region now..big trouble ahead by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

India & ukraine.

& cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

And I wouldn't much care for Sierra Leone
    If I hadn't seen Killenaule,
    And the man that was never in Mullinahone
    Shouldn't say he had travelled at all

Tru dat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Feeona wrote: »
    Iceland. A bizarre mix of genes there with some of them looking very Scandinavian, and the rest looking very Irish. Lovely friendly people there, and the geographical sights are fab....think Ireland in it's infancy!

That'd be the inbreeding.... centuries of being stuck on a féckin' island.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Botswana, very tidy. Saw a fence made out of old toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Turkmenistan.

Bizarre to say the least. :eek:

Not sure why people have Ukraine listed as unusual. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

cassi wrote: »
    India! Wish I could undo that trip! Got so fed up eventually ended up booking a sweet hotel by the airport and not leaving it! I dunno what was stranger the man caked in makeup begging or the monkey caked in makeup begging?!

It really seems as though people either love or hate India. I've heard some great things about it from people who've had wonderful experiences there, and then some horror stories.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Turkmenistan.

Bizarre to say the least. :eek:

Not sure why people have Ukraine listed as unusual. :confused:

Ukraine is well off the beaten track, only met a handful of people that have been there. That will change this summer though

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Alessandra wrote: »
    Fair enough!

I spent two nights in Montenegro. A really stunning landscape. Very poor transport infrastructure. The people were so kind though. Everything was so cheap (their currency is euro so easy to compare). I'd go back.

It is stunning.....in fairness the country is tiny you can't expect much in the way of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

All the French-speaking* ones.

*may be coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

M5 wrote: »
    Ukraine is well off the beaten track

Yeah, but that doesn't make it unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

UAE, or Abu Dhabi to be precise. Very odd place, like a giant dust bowl. Seeing how women are treated as 3rd class citizens is bizarre. They really cant do anything on their own.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeah, but that doesn't make it unusual.

you could argue that any country is not unusual or usual, moot point really

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

keano_afc wrote: »
    UAE, or Abu Dhabi to be precise. Very odd place, like a giant dust bowl. Seeing how women are treated as 3rd class citizens is bizarre. They really cant do anything on their own.

Yup that place was odd....only there for a stopover but the entire city seem like one gigantic bling statement. Endless amounts of fancy cars and impressive looking skyscrapers smack in the middle of a desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Belarus.An experience to say the least

Chavways wrote: »
    Belarus.An experience to say the least

Thats still communist, right?

Cambodia... The fact that every disgusting thing you could ever want is so readily for sale is a bit unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I think so yeah.Theres a bit of a rebellion on there at the moment to get the president out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yup. And they've recently banned the internet. Well, any non-Belarusian sites anyway.

Yup. And they've recently banned the internet. Well, any non-Belarusian sites anyway.

Not quite, they banned Belorussian sites from hosting their sites outside the country IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Spent one night in rural Swaziland and hardly saw any of the place, so I don't suppose that counts. I did spend two weeks in Bangalore, which was a trip and a half. People, people everywhere, nor any spot to think. It's not that big - not as big as you'd imagine a city of 8+ million to be. It's not all slums, either, there are some fairly posh areas and big houses. The roads are not for tourists or the sane. Getting out was harder than getting in, through the old airport.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Not quite, they banned Belorussian sites from hosting their sites outside the country IIRC

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/01/02/it-is-now-illegal-to-access-any-foreign-website-in-the-republic-of-belarus/

Advertisement