Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Most Unusual Country You Have Visited?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Uganda - I could actually see myself living there though, loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sopot, Bulgaria. An odd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Rottnest Island off the western coast of Australia. They have weird little animals called Quokkas they kinda look like a mixture between a rat and a kangaroo.

And they have a beach called the basin where there is no gradual decline to the sea, its just sand and all of a sudden its mad deep water.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

India! Wish I could undo that trip! Got so fed up eventually ended up booking a sweet hotel by the airport and not leaving it! I dunno what was stranger the man caked in makeup begging or the monkey caked in makeup begging?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

cassi wrote: »
    India! Wish I could undo that trip! Got so fed up eventually ended up booking a sweet hotel by the airport and not leaving it! I dunno what was stranger the man caked in makeup begging or the monkey caked in makeup begging?!

It was the Monkey, that little dancing ba$tard!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Madagascar, Saudi Arabia.

I absolutely loved Madagascar - the people are so gentle and so welcoming. Pity it is such a poor country. I can't wait for the economy to pick up so that I can afford to go back and give them a few more tourist euro.

Saudi Arabia was like a constant dose of WTF?! Such a completely different culture to ours. Still, I felt quite safe, if a bit wierded out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I guess I'd have to say Israel.

The vast influence that Jerusalem has had on mankind, and the ludicrous state of affairs that remain there today, with what is effectively an 'outdoor prison' definitely makes the country the freak of the nations in my opinion.

What's also so remarkable about it, is that when you're in the wealthy suburbs of Tel Aviv, you feel like you're in Los Angeles or Miami, not the theatre of war and human cruelty that that country is. I found the whole thing a bit mentally distressing in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The Vatican City is pretty damn weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 misan9

Laos.

The most backward place I've ever see. Absolutely incredible culture, people and country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Ireland! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Laos, Ecuador, Ghana, Alaska.

Loved Alaska and Ghana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Passed through Bosnia, whilst travelling in Croatia. It looked very poor, appeared to have little infrastructure and very infertile land. Those were the parts I'd seen though, hadn't seen it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Alessandra wrote: »
    Passed through Bosnia, whilst travelling in Croatia. It looked very poor, appeared to have little infrastructure and very infertile land. Those were the parts I'd seen though, hadn't seen it all.

What! Bosnia is a lovely country and the people are really friendly especially the muslims.

I think Armenia is the most unusual place I have ever visited - went there after reading a book on the Armenian genocide.

The most amazing country I went to is Iceland - drove around it in a Nissan Micra when a four wheel jeep should have been the vehicle of choice. It really is a country filled with natural wonders and fairly scary.

I would love to go to Namibia and Lebanon. Namibia for the wildlife and scenery and Lebanon for the History, culture, ethnic mix, wine and night life in Beirut.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

East Germany just before the wall came down - was lucky enough to go there about six weeks before the wall came down and the day after. It was a very strange place

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rijeka, former Yugoslavia.
    A whole town in black and white, was an odd place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Dubai.

A land of extremes in terms of wealth distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yugoslavia, country doesn't even exist anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

craggy island,You can find out who shot JR there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Quito, Ecuador. Dodgy. The one place in South America I genuinely feared for my life. I think everyone got mugged at least once in my hostel except me (cos I didn't carry anything around). There was a man wandering around outside our hostel with a brick day and night ready to (I'm presuming) smack us across the head with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Haiti ftw.. scary mentalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Singapore. Most suppressed and depressed people on Earth - and they don't even realise it. Poor sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Iceland. A bizarre mix of genes there with some of them looking very Scandinavian, and the rest looking very Irish. Lovely friendly people there, and the geographical sights are fab....think Ireland in it's infancy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Cambodia. A lovely country, but by far the poorest place I've ever been. Children begging all over Phnom Penh is one thing, but more than that, I had a sense that if I had enough money, I could have done ANYTHING I want, down to having someone bumped off. The crime reports in the Phnom Penh Post would make your hair stand on end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

later10 wrote: »
    I guess I'd have to say Israel.

The vast influence that Jerusalem has had on mankind, and the ludicrous state of affairs that remain there today, with what is effectively an 'outdoor prison' definitely makes the country the freak of the nations in my opinion.

What's also so remarkable about it, is that when you're in the wealthy suburbs of Tel Aviv, you feel like you're in Los Angeles or Miami, not the theatre of war and human cruelty that that country is. I found the whole thing a bit mentally distressing in fact.

With all due respect,Its the people of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank that are living in hell on a day to day basis,not those living in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Domo230 wrote: »
    Communism collapsed around when I was born but I would have loved to see first hand what life in East Germany. It seems rather weird that they so readily incorporated elements of the soviet culture which conquered them.

I went to the east German museum in Berlin. It was just full of regular stuff most houses today would have, but it was fascinating how the culture of communism and simple design affected even there everyday goods. Plus I love old soviet stuff like Ladas.

The DDR museum is one of the best museums I've been to, great fun too. I'd have loved to see East Germany pre-1989, or even just take a trip along the transit autobahn from West Germany to West Berlin, but I was 10 when the wall came down...good thing it did though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Erm technically the Faeroes are not a country op :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

With all due respect,Its the people of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank that are living in hell on a day to day basis,not those living in Israel.
    Oh I know; I'm talking about the jursidiction, I'm saying it's amazing that they can live with themselves, and in such comfort in some cases.

I have a friend living in a beautiful house in Tel Aviv with whom I stayed, and she shrugged off my questions about politics as something I wouldn't understand because i don't live there. Incredible ability to get on with their lives despite what their government is doing to those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Oman - was glad to get outta there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Omicron Persei 8

Advertisement