Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Most Unusual Country You Have Visited?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I went to the Faroe Islands with my father in 2005 to watch the Ireland football team play. I loved it, The people were very receptive to us apparently Irish monks discovered the islands many moons ago. The only downside was that the beer was a bit pricey.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

China, Andorra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭EUSSR

Brussels. I ran away screaming, eventually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

England, Scotland & Wales. Some of the things the Brits do beggars belief, it's no wonder their empire has almost fully collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

In terms of cultural, poverty (I've seen kids eat of the street there) and most backward it has to be Leitrim

BroomBridge is a mystical place. You won't find it on any map!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

EUSSR wrote: »
    BroomBridge is a mystical place. You won't find it on any map!

But maybe on a railway route.;)

But maybe on a railway route.;)

Tell that to the trains on that route that disappear into the ether! They must fall off the edge of the world or something. It's quite magical if I must say so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

Belgrad, Serbia.

XenaLady wrote: »
    Belgrad, Serbia.

I was in Belgrade too last year, found it a bit backward but still manageable. What time period did you make your trip at?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

Ive been there few times staying at my friends apartment not a hotel. I was staying in Zemun which actually belongs to the Novi Sad area, that was connected to Belgrade only recently.
    Its a bit like rest of the Europe at 70s, but people are very friendly and everything kinda cheap to buy. An amazing 3 course dinner at a five star restaurant wasnt too dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

North Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Cuba.

Was great place don't get me wrong, especially Havana, but there was something about watching folk on the high ways (which were empty for the most parts) packed into the back of tipper Lorries (in the way Irish people use a bus) seemed strange, they all seemed to be military folk if that makes any difference?

Was also the first country I'd been in where beggars jostled to get you leaving your hotel, hoping for a few peso from you, with security actually beating then back sometimes!

But with Havana having roughly one police man/woman on the street for every for citizens (roughly a million cops) thanks to communism and employment!
    Never felt scared though, Havana definitely one of the most interesting places i've ever visited in my life though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Japan, quite unlike anywhere else on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Japan, quite unlike anywhere else on earth.

Aren't parts like Chernobyl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Northern Ireland.

It's sort of like of us but then it's not really like us... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BoDiddly

India.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

My current location, without a doubt. A weird and wonderful country, it's become my second home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yankland, Virginia to be specific. We stopped in a town to stretch our legs while driving down to Miami. The sense of an impending ass raping was so strong that we didnt stay more than a few minutes.

theteal wrote: »
    Yankland, Virginia to be specific. We stopped in a town to stretch our legs while driving down to Miami. The sense of an impending ass raping was so strong that we didnt stay more than a few minutes.

Genuine LOL.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Iran was pretty unusual.

Bolivia was also pretty unusual both from a cultural and geographical point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Cork.

Bizarre place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Egypt

You have to squat down and take a c.rap since theres no toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I can't get over the robbing b*stard Czech taxi drivers. Otherwise not the most unusual but seriously how is that culture not clamped out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 ifellover

luxembourg, nothing really there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

XenaLady wrote: »
    Belgrad, Serbia.
    yeah weird there, they had christmas yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Kolkata (Calcutta), India. Definitely a weird place, will not be going back there soon. Extremely dirty and generally unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Probably Bratislava. Strange place, such an obvious divide of rich/poor and insane drivers!

Latvia is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Genuine LOL.:D

Genuine story too. One of the lads actually went for a bit of a jog to stretch (we had driven from Cleveland). The rest of us simultaneously picked up the uncomfortable sense, immediately bailed back into the car (7 seater thingy), caught up with the jogger, slid open the side door and grabbed him in without stopping. Best Spring Break Ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Faroe Islands (Oct 10) & San Marino (Feb 09)

Advertisement