Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New penalty point offences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

By faulty light I would hope they mean a damaged or water filled unit. Can't really expect someone who is driving to notice if their taillight bulb has blown during a trip. However there are a ridiculous number of people driving about repeatedly with blown bulbs or no brake lights who obviously never check.. Not sure how that issue could be fairly addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

zinzan wrote: »
    By faulty light I would hope they mean a damaged or water filled unit. Can't really expect someone who is driving to notice if their taillight bulb has blown during a trip. However there are a ridiculous number of people driving about repeatedly with blown bulbs or no brake lights who obviously never check.. Not sure how that issue could be fairly addressed.

If you carry a spare bulb and are stopped you should get the chance to change it otherwise get the penalty point.

Agree on the amount of people driving round with lights out the whole time. If you're too thick to turn on lights at dusk or poor conditions/fog there should be either a fine or points for that too.

Still, these offenses have to be enforced in the first place which I can't see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Neilw wrote: »
    If you carry a spare bulb and are stopped you should get the chance to change it otherwise get the penalty point.

Agree on the amount of people driving round with lights out the whole time. If you're too thick to turn on lights at dusk or poor conditions/fog there should be either a fine or points for that too.

Still, these offenses have to be enforced in the first place which I can't see happening.

That doesn't really cover it. You need to remove the light units on a focus to change a bulb. The battery has to come out for the front passenger side.
    Impractical, but a "produce the car to your Garda station to show the bulb was changed within a week" would be a much fairer route to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Jimdagym wrote: »
    That doesn't really cover it. You need to remove the light units on a focus to change a bulb. The battery has to come out for the front passenger side.
    Impractical, but a "produce the car to your Garda station to show the bulb was changed within a week" would be a much fairer route to take.

Or that yes, but at least give the person a chance to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Neilw wrote: »
    zinzan wrote: »

Try change a front bulb on a Megane there buddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

it think it there's a penalty point at stake people will check their lights more ofter, it's not that hard to do, you might need someone to check brakelights but no excuse for not checking dips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

drivers who do not have a good view through their windscreen will also be penalised

Eh are they going to be ergonomically assessing all drivers?! :p
    and for motorcyclists who do not wear a crash helmet.

Was this not enforced already?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Jemmy wrote: »
    Eh are they going to be ergonomically assessing all drivers?! There is not fair way of enforcing this either.

Think they mean the drivers who don't bother de-icing or clearing their windscreens before they drive off. Also the boy racers with the huge TRD type windscreen stickers

Theres zero enforcement of the current offences so don't know why they are bothering

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

this is nonsense as there is 0 enforcement here anyway.

furtzy wrote: »
    Think they mean the drivers who don't bother de-icing or clearing their windscreens before they drive off. Also the boy racers with the huge TRD type windscreen stickers

Theres zero enforcement of the current offences so don't know why they are bothering

So it'll be a seasonal penalty! The system over here is a joke anyway, bringing in new penalties but noone out enforcing them because of cutbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

So it'll be a seasonal penalty! The system over here is a joke anyway, bringing in new penalties but noone out enforcing them because of cutbacks.

Ah now remember " A boy racer is not just for Christmas"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

MugMugs wrote: »

Good point , try doing it in the dark with two Garda Siochana looking at you.... changing a bulb certainly ain't what it used to be , changing a light bulb in the modern megane, bmw or indeed any modern car can be quite tricky:p

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

They can't find the tax and nct dodgers, and i never see guards out at night any more. Good luck them trying to make extra money out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Quote:
    drivers who do not have a good view through their windscreen will also be penalised
    !

That one is to do with tinted front windows, so it says in the indo.

vetstu wrote: »
    That one is to do with tinted front windows, so it says in the indo.

Yea guessed thanks, was only trying to make a funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

"tightening up seat belt laws for children in commercials"

I can't think of any commercial reason why a child should be in a commercial anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Exactly! Some of the new Renaults are nearly an hours labour at the Dealer to change bulbs. The wheel has to come off, wheel arch liner too. That's not a side of the road fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Two or more bulbs gone maybe...or in conjunction with something else- i.e. bulb gone AND no tax...but one bulb gone to get penalty points?

That's fierce unfair IMO...I know it would be impractical to "report to local Garda station" with light fixed to avoid penalty points but there has to be some leaway for motorists with just one light gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Cicero wrote: »
    Two or more bulbs gone maybe...or in conjunction with something else- i.e. bulb gone AND no tax...but one bulb gone to get penalty points?

That's fierce unfair IMO...I know it would be impractical to "report to local Garda station" with light fixed to avoid penalty points but there has to be some leaway for motorists with just one light gone.

I'd agree if it were the odd one or 2 cars here and there but the amount with dodgy lights is blatently obvious and downright disgraceful. They can't ALL be blown mid-trip Get yer lazy arses down to halfords and if that's still to much for you, they'll even fit it for you I am sick to death of drivers behind me over compensating by using full beams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

RobAMerc wrote: »
    this is nonsense as there is 0 enforcement here anyway.

I keep telling my brother to NCT his car, its 3 years overdue:rolleyes:
    He gets stopped by the cops occasionally, they check his tax and sometimes his tyres(he always makes sure his tyres are good in any case) and send him on his way. Never mention anything about an NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I'd agree if it were the odd one or 2 cars here and there but the amount with dodgy lights is blatently obvious and downright disgraceful. They can't ALL be blown mid-trip Get yer lazy arses down to halfords and if that's still to much for you, they'll even fit it for you I am sick to death of drivers behind me over compensating by using full beams

Yes...there are a lot out there...but my rational is simple...if one light is gone and all else is in order..tax, nct, insurance, tyres etc,- then likelihood is, that motorist looks after their car and will see to that light urgently..cars that have multiple lights gone is a reasonable indication that the car is not roadworthy in other respects also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Tweeting Leo Vadakhar about the stupidity of the blown bulb issue may be a good start for anyone against it

corktina wrote: »
    "tightening up seat belt laws for children in commercials"

I can't think of any commercial reason why a child should be in a commercial anyway.

What about non commercial reasons like dropping them to school etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What about non commercial reasons like dropping them to school etc.
    Non commercial vehicles require higher rates of motor tax and VRT not to mention that the insurance may not cover a commercial in non-commercial activities. Dropping brats off at school is not a commercial reason. However, it is probably put in place to allow farmers drop theirs off at school.

How does one define a "good view through their windscreen" - this reminds me of the NCT idiots and their idea of measuring the orange-ness of indicators!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

RSA spokesman Brian Farrell said: "It is a case of once bitter, twice shy.
    Not sure that's idiot RSA or yet another Indo error, but somebody is definitely an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I have, plenty of times, 10 minutes max on the MeganeII.
    Not comfortable, not easy, a lot of fumbling around but definitely doable and (despite popular myth) does not require tools of any kind or removing wheels. Driver side easier.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I have, plenty of times, 10 minutes max on the MeganeII.
    Not comfortable, not easy, a lot of fumbling around but definitely doable and does not require tools of any kind (despite popular myth). Driver side easier.

I think they're referring to the new models which require quite a lot of labour to even get at the light, let alone change the bulb.

You should try it on the Smart though! There's a small panel you can open, and if you have the hands of a child you can spend about 20 minutes fiddling with the lights with no ability to see what you're doing. It's like being a teenager again down the back of a disco trying to hit third base using the force to figure out what's what! Most of the time I end up just taking the whole front of the car off - 10 bolts, and the front and wings come off as a single piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Tweeting Leo Vadakhar about the stupidity of the blown bulb issue may be a good start for anyone against it

I agree 100% with this. I left work the other day with 2 working headlights, only one was working by the time I got home (I noticed the change in lighting when pulling in to the drive). Do these new rules mean that I could have been liable for a penalty point if stopped despite my car having a valid NCT, being taxed, insured and otherwise roadworthy?

Luckily enough I can change my own bulbs with a minimum of hassle (05 Passat) but this sounds like a change that needs futher explanation by the good minister.

Advertisement