Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Rain to wash away the slush. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

It feels cold enough for the white stuff again now. Wonder what this next band of percipitation sliding in from my NW will be. Looks like its gonna be short lived but it should give a good indication of what the rest of the night holds in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

A few more rain and sleet showers since... all in all, a pretty wintry day so far for Cork's standards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Here we go again.

16 December 2011 16:34

Today Hail, sleety rain and snow showers will become more widespread for a time this evening and early. The snow is most likely on high ground but at some lower levels too with icy patches as some of the showers fall on frozen ground. Later in the night showers will become isolated again in the East. Lowest temperatures will range plus 2 to minus 2 degrees with a widespread frost.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be a bright cold day with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers, mainly in the North and West. Highest temperatures will range 4 to 6 degrees and feeling chilly in a fresh Northwesterly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Here we go again.

Today Hail, sleety rain and snow showers will become more widespread for a time this evening and early. The snow is most likely on high ground but at some lower levels too with icy patches as some of the showers fall on frozen ground. Later in the night showers will become isolated again in the East. Lowest temperatures will range plus 2 to minus 2 degrees with a widespread frost.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be a bright cold day with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers, mainly in the North and West. Highest temperatures will range 4 to 6 degrees and feeling chilly in a fresh Northwesterly wind.

Another night so, of will it/ won't it?????;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Here we go again.

hr.gif

Tomorrow

that general forecast is a bit funny to be honest when you compare it with the regional forecasts for all the provinces and dublin! something doesn't add up as tyhe regional forecasts from what i can see have no mention of any snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Went driving through the hills today for the fun of it. Heavy snow on them, 4 inches in places, there was an even higher road I could of took but the snow up there was even heavier so I didnt chance it. Good times though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

I see those showers ganging up in the West..I hope they still have a few flakes in them when they get east 3C here at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

4Sheets wrote: »
    I see those showers ganging up in the West..I hope they still have a few flakes in them when they get east 3C here at the moment

getting closer and closer to athlone. here's hoping!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

As usual when showers get going in the west the problem is then its not cold enough for snow:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah that's been the story of the month here, we've always just on the wrong side of marginal. We've had wet sleety snow nearly every day this month but only a couple of days with any sort of accumulation outside the hills.

The temperature has been stuck around 2.8C for the past 3 hours so more sleety rain again tonight

Down to freezing now..showers almost half way across the country..heres hoping:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

0 here in Templeogue too. Here's hoping it snows. Last year 3 of us went out one afternoon, 23rd of December actually, and made €150 between the 3 of us clearing driveways. "Ploughing for Profit" I named us :)

Apart from that I love snow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

temperature raised from 3C to 4C , had hail now just sleety showers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well if it dont get snow tonight hopefully we might get a tasty shower of apples like in coventry :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073974/Apples-fall-sky-Coventry-Traffic-halted-mini-tornado-dumps-hail-fruit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Down to freezing now..showers almost half way across the country..heres hoping:D

is it that simple :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

About 4 degrees and rain here in Galway.

jo06555 wrote: »
    is it that simple :confused:

yes its thats simple:)

We want the finest snow available to humanity. And we want it here, and we want it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Rain in Waterford as usuall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Few pics from this morning. Snow's a rare commodity round these parts so i got the phone out.

185491.jpg

185492.jpg

185493.jpg

One very happy little boy
    185494.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We want the finest snow available to humanity. And we want it here, and we want it now!
    :D Brilliant !

That precipitation will almost certainly make it to the east coast, I didn't think it would earlier, I thought it would have died out as it moved inland as it always does. But the big question is will it fall as rain or snow? Its -0.3c at the moment but I think as soon as it clouds over the temp will jump to 2 or 3c.
    On a knife edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I can't figure out how it snowed last night and is raining tonight.
    I don't see much difference in uppers or thickness yet the temp is about 2degrees warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

I find this handy for temps as I don't have a weather station "YET"
    http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

:D Brilliant !

That precipitation will almost certainly make it to the east coast, I didn't think it would earlier, I thought it would have died out as it moved inland as it always does. But the big question is will it fall as rain or snow? Its -0.3c at the moment but I think as soon as it clouds over the temp will jump to 2 or 3c.
    On a knife edge!

Up to 4C here now, nothing but hail and sleety rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I can't figure out how it snowed last night and is raining tonight.
    I don't see much difference in uppers or thickness yet the temp is about 2degrees warmer.

The difference is the airmass in place tonight. The 850 hPa theta-w is around +4 °C tonight, around 2 degrees higher than last night. Also, at 1350 m, the 850 hPa level is around 150 m higher than it was yesterday (1200 m), which means that although it's the same temperature, that temperature is now that bit higher up, meaning a thicker layer for snow to reach the ground. The higher theta-w means that there is less effective evaporational and sublimational cooling of the air as the snowflakes melt, meaning they will melt higher up.

There was also a hard frost already set in at this stage last night, but the increased cloudiness and humidity has offset that cooling this evening.

Last night
    11121600_1600.gif

This evening
    11121621_1612.gif

getting very frosty here now, alot of the cars are starting to look like frosted beer mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Su Campu wrote: »
    The difference is the airmass in place tonight. The 850 hPa theta-w is around +4 °C tonight, around 2 degrees higher than last night. Also, at 1350 m, the 850 hPa level is around 150 m higher than it was yesterday (1200 m), which means that although it's the same temperature, that temperature is now that bit higher up, meaning a thicker layer for snow to reach the ground.

There was also a hard frost already set in at this stage last night, but the increased cloudiness and humidity has offset cooling this evening.

From my limited experience on the Weather forum, you seem to be relatively well-informed! I was just curious as to whether you and the other knowledgeable posters (Wolfe-something & Irish & MT) were able to forecast the heavy snowfalls we got last year?

As in a few hours before the event were you saying 'Dublin (or X or Y) will get substantial dumping of snow overnight'

Or is this tough to predict and unlikely to just creep up on us? (I'm remaining ever hopeful of a White Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Jake1 wrote: »
    getting very frosty here now, alot of the cars are starting to look like frosted beer mugs

Mmmmmmmm beer mugs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Thats a nice big blob headed for Dublin, hopefully of snow but have a feeling it will rain instead..! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Brass monkeys in north Dublin. Car is frozen solid outside. Surely will fall as snow if it arrives here, far too cold for rain anyway. Further it travels over the cold landmass it surely increases chances of snow??

Advertisement