Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alert over 'bad batch' of ecstasy as three need hospital treatment

Options
  • 15-12-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

From Irish Times:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1215/1224309098854.html
    "Drug users have been warned to beware of a “bad batch” of ecstasy after at least three people needed hospital treatment after taking suspect tablets. The consequences of taking the ecstasy could be fatal, the Health Service Executive says.

A number of people presenting with “severe symptoms” attended the emergency department of South Tipperary General Hospital in Clonmel last week. Three of them were suffering from severe stomach cramps, hallucinations, jaw-clenching and teeth-grinding after saying they had taken ecstasy. They have since been discharged."

I don't know about you but they sound pretty good to me.
    These are the affects of taking the drug so I'm not sure how they were classified as a "bad batch". Just seems like a few newbies took a few too many.
    The consequences of taking the ecstasy could be fatal, the Health Service Executive says.
    The consequences of taking anything can be fatal. Why do people use such retarded sentences that don't mean anything. Also I know its a typo but I love the way they said "taking the ecstasy".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

e-muncher in jaw grinding mystery :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ArseBook

Teeth-grinding and jaw-clenching, well I never. I would've thought a bad batch would result in these things not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

3 young ones took ecstasy for the first time and freaked out, up next man drinks 8 pints and spends most of the night urinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    I love the way they said "taking the ecstasy".

I took that to mean that they were referring to the batch of ecstasy in question, rather than ecstasy in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's a reason people are scabby with drugs other than scabbiness, there's always the chance someone will freak out over nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Did they also try to cuddle the hospital staff for hours on end?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It really does sound like the were new to it or just took too much tbh.

No idea why it's being considered a bad batch.

Fairly typical of the "drug safety" mentality of both the government and the media in this country.

No facts or information, just a steaming pile of hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Sounds like an excellent batch to me.

It really does sound like the were new to it or just took too much tbh.

No idea why it's being considered a bad batch.

Fairly typical of the "drug safety" mentality of both the government and the media in this country.

No facts or information, just a steaming pile of hysteria.

Aye, there's plenty of ways of being safe enough within the current system we have, it's just hard to wade through all the crap to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Drugs... in Clonmel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

I read an article about it on a different news website and instead of saying bad batch they said particularly strong batch.pills meant to have a b printed on them.strong most definately dosnt equate to a bad batch

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭luvnit!

That sounds about right to me....lol!

I think a bad dose of heart racing and paranoia must've kicked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

electronic wrote: »
    I read an article about it on a different news website and instead of saying bad batch they said particularly strong batch.pills meant to have a b printed on them.strong most definately dosnt equate to a bad batch
    Sounds good, haven't done pills in ages cause they went to shyte, looks like it might be worth trying them again from the state of those tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

suffering from severe stomach cramps, hallucinations, jaw-clenching and teeth-grinding

Sounds like normal Ecstasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Bring back the head shops, they were safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Don't really see the need for them to make an "alert" over a 'bad batch'. People who buy unmarked chemicals off dodgy back street dealers and then ingest them are putting their lives at risk at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Don't really see the need for them to make an "alert" over a 'bad batch'. People who buy unmarked chemicals off dodgy back street dealers and then ingest them are putting their lives at risk at all times.
    I always only ever bought off friends just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 41 C81

is there any such thing as good xtc? always a gamble..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

or a government which forces drugs to be sold on the black market where there is no quality control, no enforcement of age restrictions and they are surprised when someone takes a few pills and doesnt feel well...

of course those who argue against ecstasy should read this..

[SIZE=-1]It is a mood/mind altering drug and like Prozac works by effecting the chemical level of Serotonin in our brains, a 'neurotransmitter' naturally present in the brain which can alter our emotions.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]A hearing was held to decide what permanent measures should be taken against the drug. One side argued that MDMA caused brain damage in rats, the other side claimed this might not be true for humans and that there was proof of the beneficial use of MDMA as a drug treatment in psychotherapy.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]became illegal when the powers that be noticed we were having fun on it.:rolleyes:
    [/SIZE]

• Advertisement

It goes in streaks really, find a good batch and ya have to buy enough to make it so that if you were caught in possession you could be done for being a dealer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

C81 wrote: »
    is there any such thing as good xtc? always a gamble..

its called ecstasy for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ScumLord wrote: »
    Sounds good, haven't done pills in ages cause they went to shyte, looks like it might be worth trying them again from the state of those tools.
    They went to ****e from 2010 but have been good since. It'd be harder to find a bad pill than one with MDMA these days.
    The vast, vast majority of pills are not going to kill you. The very odd time, a batch comes out with something lethal like PMA in it, and in these cases users should be alerted to the situation.

Pills are always marked, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People who buy unmarked chemicals off dodgy back street dealers and then ingest them are putting their lives at risk at all times.

Especially when crossing the busy main roads to get to the dodgy back streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

C81 wrote: »
    is there any such thing as good xtc?
    Fucking right there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If they thought those symptoms were bad they're lucky they didn't look at their dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Lightweights :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ScumLord wrote: »
    3 young ones took ecstasy for the first time and freaked out, up next man drinks 8 pints and spends most of the night urinating.

This.

It's a non story tbh. Might as well talk about drinking for the first time and getting alcohol poisoning or some other drink related ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

That's not even funny, I had a bit of a run in with these things called snowballs a couple of years ago. Ended up in that exact hospital...!

Before anyone asks, no it was nothing serious, the bastards just put acid into pills, kept taking them because I was getting nothing off them, fcuk I was tripping ballz ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I always only ever bought off friends just to be safe
    And where do your friends get the drugs? Unless you know who actually made the drug and how it was made it's best to assume the worst.
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    The vast, vast majority of pills are not going to kill you. The very odd time, a batch comes out with something lethal like PMA in it, and in these cases users should be alerted to the situation.

Pills are always marked, by the way.
    Actually, the vast majority of drugs can kill you. Even legal "tame" OTC drugs like Paracetamol can kill you or at the very least kill your liver. All drugs are potential poisons and as such should be treated with caution. Some with more caution than others.

Advertisement