Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 140 - Jones vs. Machida - 10th Dec. Spoilers inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Got to go for Jones here. Both fighters are unorthodox but Jones's style will cause Machida a rake load of problems. Can see Jones winning all the rounds before stopping him in either the 4th or 5th round.

I'm not on the Jones bandwagon but there is fighters that would give him a closer fight than Machida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Exactly.

Accusing Jones of being a "chancer" is just sillyness. Normally on this forum we have great discussions, discussions based in reality and peoples' knowledge of the sport.

We generally don't get the fanboyism over here (we had a bit of reverse fanboyism when Brock started) the way some of the posters in the Boxing forum like to cling onto the likes of Mayweather, normally the guys who have no idea of the sport and just like to be in the "I told you so" brigade.

Saying that there are loads of people who would be stupidly pro-Mayweather too proves nothing. Its like when my sister tries to tell me The X Factor is the best show on TV because millions and millions of people watch it.

I agree Machida has a chance to beat him. I think Jones will win. But calling Jones a "chancer" is ridiculous! I'm not even sure what you mean by it, it makes no sense literally. So I conclude you were looking for a negative reaction and were therefore trolling.

another idiotic post from you, becoming a bit of a habit. i've been watching MMA for over 11 years so please don't tell me ''you don't have a clue about MMA''. It's this tripe coming out of posters that brings down the standard on this forum.

I didn't say there's anyone stupidly pro mayweather so please don't put words in my mouth or extrapolate information from my sentences; I said as soon as you admit to liking him over other fighters people start abusing you calling you a troll a shill an idiot who knows nothing etc. All mayweather fans are seemingly tarred with the same brush. I will admit to having a liking for him, but no more so than anyone here would have a liking for a particular mma fighter. I also particularly like overeem, and anderson silva, does that mean i'm trolling now?

Jones has been extremely lucky in who he has fought. twelve handy fights, then he takes on an overrated bader, a completely out of shape and over the hill shogun, and a rampage jackson who is without a doubt nothing but a shadow of his former self. He hasn't had one legitimate challenge. Easy to rack up wins and a strap when you're fighting has beens, dead beats, and people who can't wait to get out of the cage so they can cash their cheque.
    Machida is probably the first fighter Jon Jones will face who is a genuine threat to him (how much of a threat is the area you seem to have a problem with)

You're probably one of those people as well who thought Cain Velasquez would never be beaten, that ''The Machida Era'' was going to last until 2015, that when Shogun beat Machida that the lightheavyweight title had finally reached its rightful owner and that Lesnar beating Carwin proved he was the greatest heavyweight of all time. (Seeing the pattern here Mr Stuffins???Fighters who were all built up to be unstoppable, unbeatable, the GOATs etc etc etc.... Also take note of whose name has also started being mentioned in these types of memes - ie Jon Jones)

Come off it, take your head out of the bushes. No one is untouchable in this sport, so to start saying it's ridiculous that Jon Jones could be found out is idiotic.

There's only two people in all of combat sports who we can state are fully deserving of the phrases ''OMG he's unreal, no one stands a chance against him, to say anything to the contrary is foolish''. Those two people are probably Anderson Silva, and Floyd Mayweather. Jon Jones hasn't earned the right to be called unstoppable/undefeatable.

My saline point is:like velasquez, lesnar, machida,shogun and countless others, jon bones could very easily be picked apart saturday night and shown up to be an overhyped and overrated fighter. to argue otherwise based on his record is actually quite silly. no one knows how good some is until they've actually been challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

For a start, calling me a "silly girl" is obviously trolling :rolleyes:
    horsemeat wrote: »
    another idiotic post from you, becoming a bit of a habit. i've been watching MMA for over 11 years so please don't tell me ''you don't have a clue about MMA''. It's this tripe coming out of posters that brings down the standard on this forum.

I never said you hadn't a clue about MMA! Maybe you should learn how to use quotes?
    I didn't say there's anyone stupidly pro mayweather so please don't put words in my mouth or extrapolate information from my sentences; I said as soon as you admit to liking him over other fighters people start abusing you calling you a troll a shill an idiot who knows nothing etc. All mayweather fans are seemingly tarred with the same brush. I will admit to having a liking for him, but no more so than anyone here would have a liking for a particular mma fighter. I also particularly like overeem, and anderson silva, does that mean i'm trolling now?

No. I couldn't have made it any clearer if I tried. I never said you were trolling for liking a fighter. But my problem was never you saying anything positive about a fighter, you called Jones a "chancer". it was a silly statement.
    Jones has been extremely lucky in who he has fought. twelve handy fights, then he takes on an overrated bader, a completely out of shape and over the hill shogun, and a rampage jackson who is without a doubt nothing but a shadow of his former self. He hasn't had one legitimate challenge. Easy to rack up wins and a strap when you're fighting has beens, dead beats, and people who can't wait to get out of the cage so they can cash their cheque.
    Machida is probably the first fighter Jon Jones will face who is a genuine threat to him (how much of a threat is the area you seem to have a problem with)

Lol! The fights were handy because he was a level or 2 above the guys he was fighting. simple.
    You're probably one of those people as well who thought Cain Velasquez would never be beaten, that ''The Machida Era'' was going to last until 2015, that when Shogun beat Machida that the lightheavyweight title had finally reached its rightful owner and that Lesnar beating Carwin proved he was the greatest heavyweight of all time. (Seeing the pattern here Mr Stuffins???Fighters who were all built up to be unstoppable, unbeatable, the GOATs etc etc etc.... Also take note of whose name has also started being mentioned in these types of memes - ie Jon Jones)

Hahaha! What are you on about? You say i'm PROBABLY one of those people and then try to attribute the trait to me. What are you even talking about at this point?
    Come off it, take your head out of the bushes. No one is untouchable in this sport, so to start saying it's ridiculous that Jon Jones could be found out is idiotic.

I agree. That would be idiotic. And if someone was to say "Jon Jones could be beaten by Machida" I would say I agree. I've already said as much.

But that's not what yoy've said is it?
    There's only two people in all of combat sports who we can state are fully deserving of the phrases ''OMG he's unreal, no one stands a chance against him, to say anything to the contrary is foolish''. Those two people are probably Anderson Silva, and Floyd Mayweather. Jon Jones hasn't earned the right to be called unstoppable/undefeatable.

I agree Jones hasn't earned the right to be called unstoppable. Who the hell said he was unstoppable? I certainly didn't! I think you're taking this conversation off into a wild world of it's own and seeing things that nobody has typed.

I'll say it again for possibly the 4th time in this thread. Machida has a more than slim chance of beating Jones. I think Jones will win though.

Also, if you think Silva is "unbeatable" then I suggest you take a look at the Chael Sonnen fight. Pretty much the formula for how the man can be beaten!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    For a start, calling me a "silly girl" is obviously trolling :rolleyes:

I never said you hadn't a clue about MMA! Maybe you should learn how to use quotes?

No. I couldn't have made it any clearer if I tried. I never said you were trolling for liking a fighter. But my problem was never you saying anything positive about a fighter, you called Jones a "chancer". it was a silly statement.

Lol! The fights were handy because he was a level or 2 above the guys he was fighting. simple.

Hahaha! What are you on about? You say i'm PROBABLY one of those people and then try to attribute the trait to me. What are you even talking about at this point?

I agree. That would be idiotic. And if someone was to say "Jon Jones could be beaten by Machida" I would say I agree. I've already said as much.

But that's not what yoy've said is it?

I agree Jones hasn't earned the right to be called unstoppable. Who the hell said he was unstoppable? I certainly didn't! I think you're taking this conversation off into a wild world of it's own and seeing things that nobody has typed.

I'll say it again for possibly the 4th time in this thread. Machida has a more than slim chance of beating Jones. I think Jones will win though.

Also, if you think Silva is "unbeatable" then I suggest you take a look at the Chael Sonnen fight. Pretty much the formula for how the man can be beaten!

I called you a silly girl because you have made silly posts. I called you a girl because you're acting like somebody who is up to their gills in oestrogen.

In PM you told me I didn't have a clue about MMA.

Silva had a broken rib in the sonnen fight so tbh it doesn't really count. Also a bit of a misnomer when you're opponent is taking peds. And also pretty much confirms my point that even after being beaten for four rounds by a juiced fighter and with a broken rib he still found a way to win...In my eyes if he couldn't be beaten then it i'd begin to classify him as ''unbeatable''.

I said jon jones was a chancer and would be found out.

You claimed that using the term chancer and saying he would be found out was me trolling.

You've now agreed that Jon Jones could be beaten and then we could bery well be typing saying ''yeah jon jones was found out and overrated''.

So in essence, in a roundabout manner, you've agreed with my original point which seemed to gripe you so much, but when phrased differently you are in full agreement.

I called you a silly girl because you have made silly posts. I called you a girl because you're acting like somebody who is up to their gills in oestrogen.

Yeah, it's obviously trolling as I said.
    In PM you told me I didn't have a clue about MMA.

No I didn't. Read it again.
    Silva had a broken rib in the sonnen fight so tbh it doesn't really count.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't count, lol!!!
    Also a bit of a misnomer when you're opponent is taking peds. And also pretty much confirms my point that even after being beaten for four rounds by a juiced fighter and with a broken rib he still found a way to win...In my eyes if he couldn't be beaten then it i'd begin to classify him as ''unbeatable''.

Sonnen was not taking PEDs. I'd go into this more but i'm still laughing over the "doesn't count" comment. That's the funniest thing i've ever read on this board hahaha!
    I said jon jones was a chancer and would be found out.

You claimed that using the term chancer and saying he would be found out was me trolling.

I said you saying he was chancer was trolling yes. Not the being found out part.
    You've now agreed that Jon Jones could be beaten and then we could bery well be typing saying ''yeah jon jones was found out and overrated''.

I've never said Jones could not be beaten. If you were keeping up with the thread you'd have noticed that on multiple occasions i've said Machida could beat Jones. You are trying to convince yourself that somewhere along the line I said Jones was unbeatable. Show me where I said that and we can talk.
    So in essence, in a roundabout manner, you've agreed with my original point which seemed to gripe you so much, but when phrased differently you are in full agreement.

Nope. I think Jones is an awesome fighter. I think Jon Jones is, right now, the undisputed king of the LHW division. I think he is a superior fighter to every LHW in the world at the moment and I think he will beat Lyoto Machida.

Of course, maybe Machida will win. But I do not agree with you about Jones being a "chancer" (whatever that means) and him having easy fights.

You seem to be having trouble understanding what is going on in this thread! Don't worry, you can come back and say "I told you so" tomorrow night after Jones is found out to be a terrible fighter if Machida beats him.

Although i'm guessing that if Jones wins then it will be the fault of Machida being off his game or past it or something! Ah well, some people are just like that I suppose!

Didn't count............... lol!!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

ok, do you realise how painful a broken rib is?
    Do you realise how hard it would be to walk,pivot,run or fight with a broken rib?imagine having someone on top of you blasting that broken rib over and over? it's a wonder silva didn't give up.
    Do you realise the physiological implications of having a broken rib? It affects movement, breathing, every single breath is agony.

You've now not only shown yourself to be uneducated on mma, you've also shown yourself to be uneducated on basic physiology, anatomy and their involvement in exercise amonsgt a miriad of other things. Easy know you've never practiced any martial art, or probably any form of exercise other than getting off your couch to take a piss.

Your last post really has shown you up, we can now all see it is you who is the real chancer who has masked themselves well on the forum amongst a litany of knowledgeable posters.

Do you realise how hard it would be to walk,pivot,run or fight with a broken rib?imagine having someone on top of you blasting that broken rib over and over? it's a wonder silva didn't give up.
    Do you realise the physiological implications of having a broken rib? It affects movement, breathing, every single breath is agony.

You've now not only shown yourself to be uneducated on mma, you've also shown yourself to be uneducated on basic physiology, anatomy and their involvement in exercise amonsgt a miriad of other things. Easy know you've never practiced any martial art, or probably any form of exercise other than getting off your couch to take a piss.

Your last post really has shown you up, we can now all see it is you who is the real chancer who has masked themselves well on the forum amongst a litany of knowledgeable posters.

Great post! You've spent most of the night trying to tell me who I am rather than backing yourself up.

Doesn't count, lol!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Just for the record, since we're so intent on getting facts straight, Anderson Silva didn't fight with broken ribs. Any chance we can get back to discussing the fights now? I'm sick of all this menstrual BS.

This is a quote from Ed Soares from before the fight. Full article-http://www.cagepotato.com/just-how-bad-were-anderson-silvas-ribs-saturday-night/
    I took him to the hospital and they X-Rayed each rib and they noticed that it was a bit swollen, but there was no fracture. They said it was bruised ribs, but the way he reacted when they touched it and how tender they were, they said it was in the muscle as well as the bruise. I’m not a doctor, but this is just what they told us. They prescribed some Ibuprofen 800 for him because it was so close to the fight, they couldn’t do any Vicodin.

This is a quote from Silva's BJJ coach Ramon Lemos after the fight. Full article - http://www.nokaut.com/?id=12&lang=e&solo_news=6277
    After the first round he [Anderson Silva] said he broke his ribs. He said told me he could not breath because of the rib. I told him to forget the rib and work the movement of legs and he would get the triangle… After the fight he went to the hospital and did an x-ray and the doctor said he did not break it, it was just a crack. Anderson is expected to return in February or March.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Horse meat post on this thread again and your getting a ban-that's an official ban from this thread, next time you call a fellow poster an idiot or Girl or anything trying to offend you will also be tapping out of this forum.

Your comment that jones would be found out as a chancer is laughable, if you said he's not as good as people think that would be fair,
    in saying that calling people trolls is against charter too so report posts rather than do this-let's get back on topic and horsemeat don't even reply to this post on this thread as your not welcome too and lucky not to be banned fully

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Usual "I know more than you about MMA" carry on

Anyway

method=get&s=machida-sick.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

coming back onto topic, Anyone think it was interesting when jones said that 'lyoto never fights southpaw' and pointing out his ' tells ' for a back leg kick. makes me wonder how much more ' tells ' he's figured out. Could be the man to counter the counter striker?

on a side not im sure there is a better word the tells but im tired from work so if anyone knows it let me know.

empacher wrote: »
    coming back onto topic, Anyone think it was interesting when jones said that 'lyoto never fights southpaw' and pointing out his ' tells ' for a back leg kick. makes me wonder how much more ' tells ' he's figured out. Could be the man to counter the counter striker?

on a side not im sure there is a better word the tells but im tired from work so if anyone knows it let me know.

I know what ya mean i think. You mean when he "telegraphs" certain moves before he does them?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought the weigh ins were funny where bones and machida are having their stare down and then bones does that 'i'm gonna look to the side of you just to annoy you' move but machida doesn't get it and thinks the stare down is over and goes to shake his hand. Should be an interesting fight. Both these and mir v nog 'should' be great fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Dean09 wrote: »
    For me the Shogun - Hendo fight was one of the best of the year so far.
    Fair enough both of hose guys aren't in their prime and their conditioning wasn't 100% but that's not the point. It was 2 fighters going at it hell for leather and "leaving it all in the cage".
    That's what it's all about in my opinion. It was an excellent fight and there was no loser coming out of that fight.
    People complain all the time that a fight was boring cause it was a grappling match and there was no blood and guts.....and then when they go in and slug it out for 5 edge of your seat rounds, they still complain that they were washed up, and their conditioning wasn't up to their standards. No pleasing some people.

I don't recall at any point complaining about grappling being boring...In fact the only fights I dislike are ones where there's no skill on display. Matt Riddle's valiant assault on the air for example.
    And as I said, I thought Hendo vs Shogun was entertaining. Just not a classic.
    This is all getting rather off topic though.

I think the reason Jones will eventually lose is because he will get too cocky. Someone he doesn't consider a threat will catch him with a lucky shot or slip on a submission because he's not focusing nearly enough on taking out the guy in front of him. This isn't a slur on Jones, GSP lost to Serra, Anderson Silva lost to Ryo Chonan.

With regards Machida being the one to do it, comes down to who's better at being patient and sticking to their game plans IMO.
    Patient Jones vs patient Machida, (fairly likely) Jones wins on points because he looks more aggressive.
    Impatient Jones vs Patient Machida, Machida has a good chance of scoring points on Jones and possibly a TKO, Jones also has a good chance of a TKO.
    Patient Jones vs Impatient Machida, Jones should take this.
    Impatient Jones vs Impatient Machida (be suprised if that happened) its a toss up, but gut says Jones.

It might seem like Im not giving Machida much of a chance there, but its more I don't think the judges will give him much of a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lol, whats going on in this thread. Jones is a chancer and Silva had broken ribs. LMFAO

Of course Machida has a chance to beat Jones. Just like Shogun and Rampage did.
    Anyone with Machifa's level of striking could could connect once, and thats all it takes. But that doesn't mean anything in terms of rating Jones, the LHW belt or this fight.
    As I said else where Jones at evens by TKO is value

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Mellor wrote: »
    Lol, whats going on in this thread. Jones is a chancer and Silva had broken ribs. LMFAO

Of course Machida has a chance to beat Jones. Just like Shogun and Rampage did.
    Anyone with Machifa's level of striking could could connect once, and thats all it takes. But that doesn't mean anything in terms of rating Jones, the LHW belt or this fight.
    As I said else where Jones at evens by TKO is value

At last sense has arrived

At last sense has arrived

How long do you think it'll last? ;)

Right up until after the main event.
    Then get ready for the internet meltdown caused by Lesnar vs Overeem.

I think Machida is going under the radar in this fight,people are saying Hendo v Jones who will win.

Machida could surprise us all.Had no problems really until Shogun and lost a close decision to Rampage.Would be stupid to disregard him in this fight.

I can see both Nogs losing tonight.

we could even see a Lesnar Mir III :eek::D:D

I wonder if this rumour that Machida is sick is a bit of Ed Soares Gamesmanship.. seems something a camp would keep under wraps at all costs.. maybe they're trying to lure jones into a false sense of security..

• Advertisement

How did Mir look in his last fight with Roy Nelson? I didn't get to check that one out. I thought Big Nog looked pretty solid against Schaub though.

Jones knows Machida has Seagal in his corner, Jones is afraid, very afraid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How did Mir look in his last fight with Roy Nelson? I didn't get to check that one out. I thought Big Nog looked pretty solid against Schaub though.
    He was comfortable if i remember correctly, just couldnt put him away.

He was comfortable if i remember correctly, just couldnt put him away.

In that case that should be pretty entertaining. When they're on form both of them still have alot to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Is this on ESPN tonight lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya Mir looked great against Nelson but Big Country's steel chin kept him going...barely. Big Nog has some momentum after his last win so he will def be hungry tonight. Mir Lesnar 3 would be good but really need to see How Lesnar has recovered fighting the Reem. No interest watching Overeem after his last shambles of a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is this on ESPN tonight lads?
    Yeah 2a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't recall at any point complaining about grappling being boring....

I'm not dragging the tread off topic again but I wasn't talking directly to you in my post. I was talking about some people in general. :)

Anyway back on topic.....can't wait for tonights fights!
    I can't see Machida beating Jones but I wouldn't count him out altogether.

Here's the link for the prelims in case anybody needs it http://www.facebook.com/#!/UFC?sk=app_247211121995467

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

the first 3 prelims are on facebook but what about the rest? will they be on ufc.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

sonic85 wrote: »
    the first 3 prelims are on facebook but what about the rest? will they be on ufc.com?

Yeah they should be.
    Prelims starting now on Facebook.

EDIT: I just checked UFC.com and there's no mention of it so I dunno if they'll be shown or not.

Advertisement