Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC

Options
  • 08-11-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

people's thought on them??
    my honest opinion is they're brilliant and hard to top for a bitta gettin up and singing.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

One of the greatest live bands ever, although I thought they were going through the motions a bit, on the last tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

ozzy banned for disrespecting the best band ever.

For fcuks sake angus played a ten hour solo* in the pissing rain in punchestown and they rocked like none before them or since.

*may have exaggerated the ten hours

On second thoughts posters name gets a pass!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Some of the best music on the planet for a fellow to dance/drink/shag/all of the above to, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ozzy banned for disrespecting the best band ever.
    slavetothegrind banned for backseat moderating and making false accusations against ozzy jr. He's not slagged off Fear Factory anywhere in his post :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Brilliant band and still going strong... marred by the ****E that was Punchestown last year.. the term piss up and brewery comes to mind... Punchestown and I will never meet again.

First album I ever bought and I even bought the last one... and I NEVER pay for music these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 bobjim

Best rock band ever, no debate!

Check out the 'Let There be Rock' DVD just released recently (at last, my old VHS tape of it was gathering dust in the corner!). AC/DC at their peak, f*cking amazing concert, just ignore the backstage bits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

ozzy jr wrote: »
    One of the greatest live bands ever, although I thought they were going through the motions a bit, on the last tour.

Just to clear up the second part of my post, they toured from October 2008 - June 2010 and they played the same set every night, even when they returned to the same city/area later in the tour eg, The Point and then Punchestown.

The Point show was brilliant but for a band with such an extensive back catalogue I thought they would have mixed things up a bit. I got the feeling that it was "we're playing these songs, like it or lump it".

Still love the band though and hope to see them again. As I said in the first part of my post, one of the best live bands ever!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm pretty indifferent to them myself. I know they are a huge band, have legions of fans, and have definitely worked to get where they are, but it's just not the sort of music I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be perfectly honest - they're okay. Their live CDs/DVDs are amazing. But listen to nearly every one of their albums, you get 1 or 2 good songs and a lot of muck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Everybody should have a few AC/DC albums in their record collection

They're a band that have the 2nd best selling album of all time and the 3rd highest grossing tour of all time yet they could probably walk down the street and no one would bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

;)
    Malice wrote: »
    slavetothegrind banned for backseat moderating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Awesome band, one of my top ten favorite bands ever. Would have liked to have seen them in Punchestown two years ago but those tickets sold out pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Probably my favourite band of all time. Serious musicians who never took themselves too seriously. A fantastic live proposition.

Pretty much all of their studio albums are worth buying. At this stage of my decades listening to them, I'd only pass outright on two albums - Fly on the Wall and Stiff Upper Lip (although SUL has two really good tracks).

Most people know their classics. However, there are a few underrated albums that I'd put right up there, including Powerage, Flick of the Switch and Blow Up Your Video (all albums I regularly listen to).

Their most recent offering, Black Ice was well worth the effort.

And keep an eye out for the Big Gun single. Not to mention the Bonfire box set!

All told, they have about 70 or 80 songs I'd happily listen to.

AC/DC are already a legend. As they've been active for so long, they'll be sorely missed when they pack it in or if a key member falls off his perch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

McDave wrote: »
    Probably my favourite band of all time. Serious musicians who never took themselves too seriously. A fantastic live proposition.

Pretty much all of their studio albums are worth buying. At this stage of my decades listening to them, I'd only pass outright on two albums - Fly on the Wall and Stiff Upper Lip (although SUL has two really good tracks).

Most people know their classics. However, there are a few underrated albums that I'd put right up there, including Powerage, Flick of the Switch and Blow Up Your Video (all albums I regularly listen to).

Their most recent offering, Black Ice was well worth the effort.

And keep an eye out for the Big Gun single. Not to mention the Bonfire box set!

All told, they have about 70 or 80 songs I'd happily listen to.

AC/DC are already a legend. As they've been active for so long, they'll be sorely missed when they pack it in or if a key member falls off his perch.

I agree Flick of the Switch is highly underrated, after Highway to Hell and High Voltage it's probably my favourite AC/DC album. I can't agree with you on Blow Up Your Vidoe though. I don't rate that at all. That and Fly on the Wall are the only albums I wouldn't listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I agree Flick of the Switch is highly underrated, after Highway to Hell and High Voltage it's probably my favourite AC/DC album. I can't agree with you on Blow Up Your Vidoe though. I don't rate that at all. That and Fly on the Wall are the only albums I wouldn't listen to.
    It's true that a lot of people don't like BUYV. But IMO the songwriting on BUYV is very good, e.g. Heatseeker, That's the Way..., Go Zone, Nick of Time, and This Means War. The production is a let-down with Cliff Williams way down in the mix, lending the album an almost poppy feel. But on the other hand I really like Simon Wright's drumming.

One man's meat... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I love AC/DC, especially the Bon Scott albums. But I think after Back in Black they had too much dodgy stuff. Anything other than the title track off For Those About to Rock is a bit Def Leppard.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭anto_daly

the scripted shreading for 10-15 mins angus done a few times at gigs was insperational, and got me wanting to play guitar :D dont have vid of the shreading tho cant find it on youtube :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I really, really and truly hate their music! That's just a personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

love ACDC... great gig the last time they played here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Absolutely awesome band live. Yes I agree that some of their more recent stuff album wise has been them going through the motions but live they are excellent.

I was in Punchestown as well and was lucky enough to be in the pit and see Angus in action close up and his solo in the rain was something else (dodgy pics attached taken with a crap mobile camera). (and yes the organisation of Punchestown that year was the worst I every experienced at a concert but it only detracted slightly from the whole experience).

183749.jpg

183751.jpg

They are up there with my other favourite live bands, Metallica from the Black Album Tour, Iron Maiden, Rammstein LIFAD tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Could swear I watched a hollywood blockbuster last night these guys music did not feature in

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

New Album and tour a big possibilty next year according to Brian johnson.Personally cant wait.My fav rock band.Good for what ails ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

brilliant band. was lucky to get tickets for both the point and punchestown. thought the point was f**kin mental!! the sound went through me! nearly started crying when "for those about to rock" started as i knew it was coming to an end! punchestown was excellent, except for the really drunk assholes. i dont know how you can get the full value of a band like ac/dc when your that pissed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Noffles wrote: »
    marred by the ****E that was Punchestown last year..
    You didn't like the boobage during The Jack? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

kbannon wrote: »

That was tame compared to gigs elsewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

kbannon wrote: »
    Tell me more, I likes boobage ;).

Malice wrote: »
    Tell me more, I likes boobage ;).
    Around 1:55 and later you get to see Angus topless

blastman wrote: »
    That was tame compared to gigs elsewhere :D
    I know. Sure there was nowt shown in the Point a few months before Punchestown! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the greatest hard rock band of all time

RIP Bon

Would recommend "Powerage" as their finest hour

Advertisement