Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A rise in people using the fire at home?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Noticed this more and more actually.
    Even places such as Lidl are know selling more fire related products such as wooden logs & compressed saw dust pellets.

I see a few more houses with the chimney blowing smoke each night. Has anyone here started to burn fires more?

*basks in the heat from the fireplace*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Even though I have a fireplace and occasionally light a fire for company, open fires are very inefficient and cool rooms. The draw is always on the chimney, and can't be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's winter-time.
    It's ****ing freezing out.
    What do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

nothin like sittin in front of a nice big fire on a chilly night ,pain in the ass gettin coal then cleanin out ashes after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's winter-time.
    What do you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

And what may I ask is wrong with a solid fuel fire??

Are you making fun of us poor people??

*well you did ask for a rise out of me?:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Even though I have a fireplace and occasionally light a fire for company, open fires are very inefficient and cool rooms. The draw is always on the chimney, and can't be turned off.

I've been in a few places that had the fire going. In my experience it tends to be something as simple as is the door of the room opened or closed as to how toasty the room gets.

But you say the draw of the chimney. In fires you've lit it might be that your dampner (cant spell it) is opened to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Charnwood 14B Woodburner, best mad investment of the boom, @ €2600. Heats the whole house, - dont really use the oil at all thank f**k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Noticed this more and more actually.
    Even places such as Lidl are know selling more fire related products such as wooden logs & compressed saw dust pellets.

I see a few more houses with the chimney blowing smoke each night. Has anyone here started to burn fires more?

*basks in the heat from the fireplace*

It's winter. Not that much of a mystery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

All that cleaning and starting the fire, no thanks, flick a switch for me.
    Open fire is lovely.

HazDanz wrote: »
    It's winter. Not that much of a mystery!
    It's winter-time.
    What do you expect?

... The thread is about as opposed to other more common forms of heating. Gas, oil etc. Which since the early to mid 90s are the most common ways of heating.

Both you guys didnt quite think that through right? :pac: you just both thought it was a dumb silly "why are those people lighting fires?" thing right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

hondasam wrote: »
    All that cleaning and starting the fire, no thanks, flick a switch for me.
    Open fire is lovely.

Starting the fire is great fun. Something primal about those firelighters :pac:

I should add that there's no fire in my house and I'm really cold and I need some nice hot (yet legal) lady to snuggle into.
    To avoid derailing the thread, interested parties should contact me via PM.
    I'll just go clear out my inbox in preparation for the inundation of offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I live in a super old house so we have lots of fireplaces. Have always lit the one in the living room. I just love it, so warm and lovely. Can't beat it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I've been in a few places that had the fire going. In my experience it tends to be something as simple as is the door of the room opened or closed as to how toasty the room gets.

But you say the draw of the chimney. In fires you've lit it might be that your dampner (cant spell it) is opened to much.

Oh the room will just about eat with the fire lit. However heating the room with just the central heating is difficult because it all goes up the chimney. There is no damper in our fireplace... ****ing cheap landlord.

... The thread is about as opposed to other more common forms of heating. Gas, oil etc.
    REALLY? :eek:

HazDanz wrote: »
    Starting the fire is great fun. Something primal about those firelighters :pac:

I know people who cannot start a fire even with firelighters.

REALLY? :eek:

Nice try on the come back. Give it a 4/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People who don't have matches?

I hate firelighters! :P
    Wood or even a firelog is the best man for the job (for lighting coal that is)

People who don't have matches?

I don't have matches but I do have a cigarette lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Oh the room will just about eat with the fire lit. However heating the room with just the central heating is difficult because it all goes up the chimney. There is no damper in our fireplace... ****ing cheap landlord.
    Get a chimney balloon for when you don't put down a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Back boilers are a great thing, kind of just got outdated with the bubble though, people didn't see the need.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People may think that they'd save money by not having the heating on, and use a log to heat only one room.

People may have had their gas cut off due to not being able to pay the bills, and have a self-lighting briquette to warm them with?

Or maybe they just like the smell of turf?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Back Boilers got out dated long before the bubble. Don't know any houses down my way built from 1980's on with one. Would have loved to put it in my own house i built 6 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Have a lovely stove on at full blast, im actually sweating here in my t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

The house (if you could call it that) I'm currently renting is very old and has no insulation and generally very hard to heat. We ran out of oil in late October so have been lighting the two fires (kitchen and living room) from morning to night. It costs a fortune and it's a waste of money tbh because the only time you can feel the heat is if you are sitting up to 3 feet beside the fire.
    Today we had both fires lit from about 1pm and are currently still burning at almost 2am. I have had a heater plugged into my room from 8pm until about 1.30am, and am wearing layers in bed...it's horrible!

Moving before Xmas and very excited that the new place is easy to heat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Can't beat the stove. Going to pack in a bit of coal and come down to a toasty living room in the morning :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Me :o

For people who mostly use fires, how much would you estimate your heating costs to be in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I printed out this thread and used it to start a fire. Never did that before, so yes...I agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I lit a fire in october and it's still going, a shovel of ashes on top every night and next morning all it takes is a broken up briquette to get roaring again, ahh the luxury. :)

Advertisement