Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A rise in people using the fire at home?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

F**king in front of a real fireplace is incredibly sexy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Open fires are horribly inefficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

People will need to Remember to clean their chimneys if they haven't used the fire place in a while...also, some fireplaces arent made for open fires in modern homes...even though theres a chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

I have a fire goin everyday, tis nice and warm and its cheaper than heating

Nothin beats a turf fire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Confab wrote: »
    Open fires are horribly inefficient.
    Not if you get the wood for free...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I have an open fire in the sitting room, its lovely!

But, my mam and dad have a stove, and jesus, that's a whole different ball game. They don't use half the fuel that they used to. As soon as I have the money, I'm going to put one in. Totally worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

cabot wrote: »
    Not a good idea to burn plastic bottles/plastic, mdf, particleboard or wood that has been treated or varnished.

a sure it will be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Ficheall wrote: »
    I should add that there's no fire in my house and I'm really cold and I need some nice hot (yet legal) lady to snuggle into.
    To avoid derailing the thread, interested parties should contact me via PM.
    I'll just go clear out my inbox in preparation for the inundation of offers.

I would apply for the position you have advertised : nice hot (legal) lady.

Although unfortunately there is no fire in my house either, so therefore I do not meet the correct criteria and to be honest I'm hoping to find a nice tall, dark and handsome man (must have open fire) to snuggle into.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

My parents house has no central heating and is only heated by a fire. So I grew up with a fire being the main source of heat and I love them. I'm never warmer than sitting at home in that room with the fire blazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Got the stove on full blast since 2, unreal heat out of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

cabot wrote: »
    Not a good idea to burn plastic bottles/plastic, mdf, particleboard or wood that has been treated or varnished.

True. The residue from them can cling to the insides of you chimney.

When enough of it builds up, it can catch fire pretty easily.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ficheall wrote: »
    I should add that there's no fire in my house and I'm really cold and I need some nice hot (yet legal) lady to snuggle into.
    You'd be doing well.

Most solicitors I know are stink looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

johngalway wrote: »
    Agree with the stove people :D

FFS.Not another ethnic minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mirrium

Ok question!! I have a gas fire, I hate it! I'd love to put in an open fire with a back boiler to heat the radiators! Anybody know if it's expensive? Love real fires and the gas is too expensive to run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

True. The residue from them can cling to the insides of you chimney.

When enough of it builds up, it can catch fire pretty easily.:eek:

Not to mention the toxic and carcinogenic fumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

marvsins wrote: »
    Back Boilers got out dated long before the bubble. Don't know any houses down my way built from 1980's on with one. Would have loved to put it in my own house i built 6 years ago.

My house was built in the early 80's and has a back boiler.
    It's handy, heats the radiators and the hot water cylinder - probably still quite inefficient but better than not having one.

I like an open fire - it appeals to the caveman ancestor in us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Central heating will never live up to the heat from an open fireplace, especially when you hook a litre of petrol into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Short answer:
    As stated, they need to manage the size of the fire.

Long answer:

Solid fuel, whether coal, turf, briquettes, or logs, is at it's most efficient when glowing red.

It sounds like your parents are letting the fire down too far, then overcompensating by putting too much fuel on.
    Remember, in a well insulated room, it takes less fuel to maintain temperature than it does to raise the temperature.

Try telling them not to let the fire down so far that the room starts to get cold. The aim is to keep the fire glowing red, rather than having flames flying up the chimney.

Less fuel, a little more often, is the secret.

The other option is install a stove. (No, I don't sell stoves!)
    They're easier to regulate, and a lot more fuel efficient.
    If they go down that route, I'd suggest they get a stove that has overnight burning capability. You can't beat walking into the room and finding it still toasty warm in the morning. It reduces condensation, too.

Sounds exactly like what they are doing, I think everyone gets too cosy and lazy and it gets left too long before fuel is added. They rarely use the open fire, only when there are a few of us in the house. But it's real nice when it's on :)

They have a stove in another room that they converted over from solid fuel to oil a few years back. It was a great move and worked out roughly the same per year in costs, plus less maintenance as well. That might have changed as they said oil has gone up a lot in the last year or 2. I don't know if solid fuel has risen by the same amount or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Oh the room will just about eat with the fire lit. However heating the room with just the central heating is difficult because it all goes up the chimney. There is no damper in our fireplace... ****ing cheap landlord.
    Use the ashes, ie, don't completely clear out the the grate constantly, when you need a draught use a poker to "flatten out" the ashes under the grate and only remove enough to stop things overflowing.
    With a bit of practise you can control a fire much better this way than with a damper, though a mix of using both is like having a thermostat. :)
    Totally clearing out all of a fire every day is very wasteful on fuel, and even with a damper it can just roar away up the chimney, ashes and clinker also hold a lot of heat it's very handy to leave them in the back of a fireplace, especially if you have a deep one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

jester77 wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like what they are doing, I think everyone gets too cosy and lazy and it gets left too long before fuel is added. They rarely use the open fire, only when there are a few of us in the house. But it's real nice when it's on :)

They have a stove in another room that they converted over from solid fuel to oil a few years back. It was a great move and worked out roughly the same per year in costs, plus less maintenance as well. That might have changed as they said oil has gone up a lot in the last year or 2. I don't know if solid fuel has risen by the same amount or not.

I don't think the solid fuel has gone up as much as the oil.

Certainly, a solid fuel stove uses less than half the fuel a range would use, if it's an oil range your parents are using? So, if the costs were the same for solid fuel and oil in a range, you could expect to half them with a solid fuel stove - if you get the right one.
    There's a good thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75890345&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post75890345

• Advertisement
Advertisement