Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming and Console Gaming

Options
  • 04-12-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Is there anything a console can do better than a PC? I'm just wondering!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I have never seen a PC do split screen multilayer well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gets popcorn, awaits a flame ridden thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can put any game in and know it will work.

PC, you install it, optional for consoles, then get the graphics settings right for quality and speed. Then the possibility of driver issues and updating them incase of any graphical effect glitches and errors.

That would be the only advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c_pi.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Politically correct gaming is overrated.

• Advertisement

PC, you install it, optional for consoles,

If Santa is bringing you a PS3 for xmas your gonna be disappointed :)

The games have updates too, which take their time to download from Sony

Besides, consoles ARE pc's today, albeit in fancy cases.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Community mod support

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

if we will try to make it atleast some how seriuos:

1. Its awesome just to drop on your couch, put your legs on the table and play with just controller in your hands.
    2. Parties, its always fun to have a MK or TEKKEN deathmatch after you had few drinks with lads. Even better, when you pin your Misses/GFs against friends Misses/GFs! what a cat fight to watch!
    3. No need to worry much about hardware, though PC gaming came to a point wheres 5 years old Gaming machine can still run any game on better settings then any console.

EnterNow wrote: »

Except a different architecture, PS3 as an example, try put an MS OS on it. Impossible.

Consoles are designed for GPU intensive purposes, as a Server Mobo is designed for reliability.

Yes, they are computers, though designed explicitly for the purpose at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

NoDrama wrote: »
    Yes, they are computers, though designed explicitly for the purpose at hand.

Designed for the purpose of gaming and still manage to come last compared to a decent PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yall-postin-in-a-troll-thread.jpg?1295567777

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Designed for the purpose of gaming and still manage to come last compared to a decent PC.

Well the consoles are about 6-7 years old now, so they're holding up relatively well considering.

Pc gaming is great for solo or online play, but it's no good for bringing the lads round and drinking a few cans kinda gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If Santa is bringing you a PS3 for xmas your gonna be disappointed :)

The games have updates too, which take their time to download from Sony

I have a PS3, 360 and PC.

I have been a console gamer since I was 7 and a PC gamer since I was 13.

I know all too well the intimate details. But generally speaking my point still stands.

If you have any current gen console and it's offline only you stick in any game you want and it works, simple as. No updates needed. Yes console games have problems but by and large they work.

Some PC games won't run out of the box if you have a DVD drive the security software does not like for example. All the Starfore marlarky with Lockon. That was a pain.

How about a supercomputer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Consoles are cheaper. You can get an xbox 360 for about €200 but to get a PC that could play games like Skyrim, BF3 etc would cost you a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

0FSAU.png

**** it, it's a Sunday afternoon, I'll cover both possibilities...
    • They can make PC gamers whine more.
    • They can be a platform which is less prone to piracy.
    • They can be a platform which can generate more sales for the average multi-platform release.

Oh wait, you want a serious response? Then I'd primarily agree with what ShadowHearth said above.

With regards to the coming home and putting your feet up with a controller bit which may elicit a response of "you can do that with the PC too". Having something like this in your sitting room filled with a bunch of noisy, heat generating gear isn't exactly practical for the majority of people. Nevermind the need for a keyboard and mouse, wireless or otherwise, lying around with which to start the game up.

If your only idea of "social" gaming is playing with someone over the internet then you're missing the point.

Consoles are also, at the most basic level, easier to use. Current example, I'm playing Battlefield 3 on the PC. When I first installed it I was getting constant CTDs in-game and almost always between rounds, like many other people online. The solution? Disable the Origin overlay in-game, underclock my SCC edition EVGA GPU and install the latest BETA drivers from nVidia. Only one example I know, but the simple fact is, gaming on the PC requires some technical knowledge that a lot of people simply aren't willing to learn, so for them the console is a fantastic device. You pop the disc in, you play. A patch comes out, you're online, the game picks up on it, downloads it for you and you're good to go again. Simples.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Except a different architecture, PS3 as an example, try put an MS OS on it. Impossible.

Linux runs nicely on them, nobody said MS = PC ;)

The thread has no one answer, my own thoughts would be:

As mentioned, consoles generally have that pick up n' play appeal, which is good for having a laugh with mates etc. They have an ease of use, generally you just turn them on, pop in the game & play away. They're cheap & affordable also...good bang for buck ratio.

Pc's on the other hand, have more power so the games look a lot better. The games library is decades old at this point, there's a vast choice to play with. Modding community is far more involved. Single player experience for me is generally better, & I'm a bit of a keyboard & mouse fan for fps titles. You can also use usb joypads if you wish. Basically everything is catered for.

Both have advantages & benefits, disadvantages & hurdles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

gizmo wrote: »
    0FSAU.png

**** it, it's a Sunday afternoon, I'll cover both possibilities...

• They can make PC gamers whine more.
    • They can be a platform which is less prone to piracy.
    • They can be a platform which can generate more sales for the average multi-platform release.

Oh wait, you want a serious response? Then I'd primarily agree with what ShadowHearth said above.

With regards to the coming home and putting your feet up with a controller bit which may elicit a response of "you can do that with the PC too". Having something like this in your sitting room filled with a bunch of noisy, heat generating gear isn't exactly practical for the majority of people. Nevermind the need for a keyboard and mouse, wireless or otherwise, lying around with which to start the game up.

If your only idea of "social" gaming is playing with someone over the internet then you're missing the point.

Consoles are also, at the most basic level, easier to use. Current example, I'm playing Battlefield 3 on the PC. When I first installed it I was getting constant CTDs in-game and almost always between rounds, like many other people online. The solution? Disable the Origin overlay in-game, underclock my SCC edition EVGA GPU and install the latest BETA drivers from nVidia. Only one example I know, but the simple fact is, gaming on the PC requires some technical knowledge that a lot of people simply aren't willing to learn, so for them the console is a fantastic device. You pop the disc in, you play. A patch comes out, you're online, the game picks up on it, downloads it for you and you're good to go again. Simples.

My pc (when gaming) actually produces less noise than my 360 and while it does probably does produce more heat that is not necessarily a bad thing during the winter months :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

It really comes down to a preference thing

Consoles are great for social gaming with friends and great for just firing up and having a quick game in your living room
    as said there is a reliability factor over PC gaming with automatic updates to correct problems
    but this is starting to become a non-issue on pc with products like Steam with auto update and a central location to play games
    cost comparisons: gaming PC's are more expensive to buy but can now be made on parts sites for a lot less than suppliers like Dell, a decent gaming rig can be bought for about 500-600 euro which is the cost of a newly released console
    Games are more expensive to buy initially on console than PC by about €15 and can be bought later in Steam and other download sites for a fraction of what they were previously whereas console games tend to hold their price more.
    Consoles don't need upgrading like PC's though and have at least a 6 year life span or more considering the current gen
    Games like FPS's,RPG and strategy are definitely more suited to the K+M approach whereas consoles are more geared toward action, driving and sports games

so it really comes down to horses for courses and which suits you best

I have a PS3, Wii and high end gaming PC and I prefer the PC as the games I like are better played on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Sink got it pretty much in post 2. The only thing consoles can do better than PC is offline multiplayer on the one machine.

Lan parties are amazing and all, but if you've a group of mates wanting to play some multiplayer and one gaming machine, console wins.

Of course you could if you wanted to, hook up a PC to a widescreen TV in the sitting room and hook up bluetooth/wireless control pads + mouse and keyboard but that's just a lot of effort really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

Gets popcorn, awaits a flame ridden thread

Really? A console does those activities better. Never knew that!

OP, why do you want to an answer to this query? Any purpose other than thinly veiled trolling? Shadowhearth, gizmo and Enternow have responded well, it would be nice to hear if you have a response to the posts so far. For me personally I like the press and play aspect of consoles and the comfort position of playing from the couch with controller but, as a person who is not a graphics whore, I would love if some of the pc exclusive games were available on the console, most particularly Witcher 2 and Stalker: SOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

mrm wrote: »
    Really? A console does those activities better. Never knew that!

OP, why do you want to an answer to this query? Any purpose other than thinly veiled trolling? Shadowhearth, gizmo and Enternow have responded well, it would be nice to hear if you have a response to the posts so far. For me personally I like the press and play aspect of consoles and the comfort position of playing from the couch with controller but, as a person who is not a graphics whore, I would love if some of the pc exclusive games were available on the console, most particularly Witcher 2 and Stalker: SOC.
    The Witcher 2 is coming to the 360 next year and while the current STALKER games aren't due to be ported to consoles, the next iteration in the series will be released on multiple platforms. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

Damn double post!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gizmo wrote: »
    The Witcher 2 is coming to the 360 next year and while the current STALKER games aren't due to be ported to consoles, the next iteration in the series will be released on multiple platforms. :)

just gotta hope the stalker series isn't completely ****ed over to account for consoles ****ty controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Dunno why people are expecting a flame war here. He asked if there was anything at all a console can do better than a PC. This is a fair question.

He didn't ask which is better in general. Which ever platform you prefer surely everyone can pick one thing the other can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

just gotta hope the stalker series isn't completely ****ed over to account for consoles ****ty controllers

It'll be Crysis 2 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

PCs will never, EVER look as cool as consoles.

megadrive5.jpg

panasonicq.jpg

neogeo.jpg

3do2c.jpg

jaguar.jpg

Versus -

Yawn.

old-computer.jpg

very_old_computer.jpg

old-computers-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

I just wanna say that regardless of what anyone says in this thread you are all great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sink wrote: »
    I have never seen a PC do split screen multilayer well.
    Why would you want/need to?

example, try put an MS OS on it. Impossible.[/QUOTE]
    What is MS OS? Is that some sort of nix? Pretty sure Fedora can run on a PS3... :pac:

=-=

Agree with gizmo's post.

It also depends what you'll be using it for.

Gaming only, get a console.

Gaming, image manipulation, internet, music, etc, get a PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

the_syco wrote: »

It also depends what you'll be using it for.

Gaming only, get a console.

Gaming, image manipulation, internet, music, etc, get a PC.

+

One Tv in the appartment and a soaps obsessed other half, get a PC.

Advertisement