Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal Sean Brady aware of abuse in 1975

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Grawling wrote: »
    Ah, yes, blame "the system" when you don't get the result you want. Do you have a problem with the judiciary in this country?

You dont want people to report sexual abuse of kids I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dr Cocks!

Ah look, a simple-minded hilbilly bigot. Perhaps you should move to Iran or somewhere?

The irony is, you've probably had the benefit of a Catholic education.

No no, im not from ireland. So luckily no dirty priest could get near me when i was in school...

The catholic church allowed priests get away with having sex with children, i cannot think of anything worse.

Open your mind and stop being such a blind follower of a church that has committed so many horrible crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Do you have a problem with the judiciary in this country?

Yes I do, namely they need to be informed of crimes before they can investigate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Scumbag should be done for aiding and abetting child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ah look, a simple-minded hilbilly bigot. Perhaps you should move to Iran or somewhere?

I don't think any hillbilly, simple-minded or clever, bigoted or not, would like Iran. I believe it's mighty hard to get moonshine there, and they frown on shagging one's sister.;);)

I had one, too. And I'm eternally grateful to the Christian Buggers for giving me a lifelong aversion and immunity to religion. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You dont want people to report sexual abuse of kids I take it?

No. That would be uncatholic. Instead they should be sworn to secrecy and made to feel as much shame as possible. Then the priest should be moved to another parish.

That's the catholic way.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Burn the churches.

See you at Mass on Christmas day?

(post reported btw)

He was winding you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What crime did he commit? (apart from some unspecified allegations)
    Are withholding of evidence, child endangerment, conspiracy to commit a crime, crimes?
    When was it committed? (preferably the exact date)
    At the 1975 ecclesiastical hearing mentioned in the OP
    What court has found him guilty? (preferably a link to the court proceedings)
    I'd be of the opinion that the statute of limitations would be up on the crime. This does not absolve him of the crime in the Lord's eyes. ;)
    As much as you lot like to bash Catholicism and its members, Cardinal Brady is a man of upstanding character.
    Well his handling of this whole affair would say otherwise.
    His conscience is clear.
    And I'm sure Hitler had no problem with the holocaust. /Godwin
    Judging from this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055844760), it is clear that certain frequenters of AH should look inward on themselves, before criticising others.

Not all Boards.ie users are criminals in the same way not all Catholics are childmolestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Dr Cocks! wrote: »
    No no, im not from ireland. So luckily no dirty priest could get near me when i was in school...

The catholic church allowed priests get away with having sex with children, i cannot think of anything worse.

Open your mind and stop being such a blind follower of a church that has committed so many horrible crimes.
    Ah, yes, blame "the system" when you don't get the result you want. Do you have a problem with the judiciary in this country?

Re-regs banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

We're all sinners

I'm not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

We're all sinners, and any failings of Cardinal Brady (I'm sure) have been given up to God. You on the other hand, probably haven't been to confession since you were 7. That's one sure route to hell. Cardinal Brady will see you there (that is, looking down from heaven!)

where in the bible does it say that telling a fellow sinner your sins will save you from hell.
    brady, like all the cardinals and popes before him will burn in hell.

If the likes of Sean Brady is in heaven, and hell has rock stars, hookers etc I'll go with hell.
    How do we know for sure it's that bad? Heaven sounds like the most boring place ever. Eternity floating around doing nothing exciting because you're not allowed do poxy anything. All with gospel music in the background or The Osmonds playing.
    Hell will have Jimi Hendrix and The Doors playing in the background. And if sin is as simple as "coveting" someone elses goods or wife, everyone that ever lived will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Paparazzo wrote: »
    ...Hell will have The Doors playing in the background...
    Well, that's exactly how I imagine it anyway.

*shudders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

We're all sinners, and any failings of Cardinal Brady (I'm sure) have been given up to God. You on the other hand, probably haven't been to confession since you were 7. That's one sure route to hell. Cardinal Brady will see you there (that is, looking down from heaven!)
    maybe you never heard this before but st Teresa had a vision of hell and reported that it was full of nuns priests and large numbers of religious people including popes cardinals and bishops. Iam not into orginised religion i speak to God myself i dont need priests or churches to do so. As for going to confession i wouldent sit with any priest and discuss any aspect of my life sins or otherwise when i pass over ill take my hat off to God not any priest or religious bigot..

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Well, that's exactly how I imagine it anyway.

*shudders

OK, but would you rather be listening to Cliff Richard up in heaven? :D

I would fully support an extradition order for Joe Ratz so he can answer some of the questions he owes the Irish people. Even if it would never be entertained the symbolisim would show that Irish people are no longer under the thumb of a morally bankrupt institution.

Besides banks of course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

jesus get me out of here iam going to walk my dog :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

In Ireland the hill billys all go to mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

We really, really aren't though.
    But shure nothing better than a good auld dose of catholic guilt to distract from the real bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I'm not defending anyone but surely some if not most of the parents, of these children, involved are part of the cover up?

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I'm not defending anyone but surely some if not most of the parents, of these children, involved are part of the cover up?

Good point. Their parents were obviously aware.

I would hold them partially responsible but when you consider that they were catholic it's more understandable. What sets catholicism apart from other branches of Christianity is the loyalty to The Church. In simplistic terms, when an ethical dilemma arises, Protestants ask themselves "What would Jesus do?". Catholics, on the other hand ask themselves "What's best for The Church?". This creates a big problem if the church is doing wrong. I'd say the parents just depended on their moral guidance from The Church which is rotten to the core as an organisation and this made it hard to see right from wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Good point. Their parents were obviously aware.

I would hold them partially responsible but when you consider that they were catholic it's more understandable. What sets catholicism apart from other branches of Christianity is the loyalty to The Church. In simplistic terms, when an ethical dilemma arises, Protestants ask themselves "What would Jesus do?". Catholics, on the other hand ask themselves "What's best for The Church?". This creates a big problem if the church is doing wrong. I'd say the parents just depended on their moral guidance from The Church which is rotten to the core as an organisation and this made it hard to see right from wrong.

I normally avoid these threads because of the hysteria attached, and because it is - for some - just another opportunity to attach the Catholic Church.

However the statement above must be responded to.

As a catholic parent I would never ask myself "what's best for the Church". I would ask what is the most just action. And yes, the paedophiles - and their protectors/sympathisers - must be brought to book and made to pay.

However, along with them must come the State and its agents, which were complicit in these horrific events. If a parent is paedophile, does that make ALL of us paedophiles?

And it's worth remembering that the Catholic Church is not merely an institution, it is the very people themselves (myself included). Some bishops and priests forgot this - some still do.

However, comments such as "burn the church" and "imaginary man in the sky" do nothing to help. These are bigoted ignorance of the worst kind. The vast majority of Catholics (both lay people and clergy) are normal, hard working people who abhor the scandal of child abuse.

Should Brady be prosecuted? Most likely, but it won't happen. Should he publicly apologise a hundred times over? Yes. Will that help the people who were molested? Some maybe.

The Catholic Church and its people are easy targets today, with the rule of mob law applying. Many clergy and lay people are good, honest people, with a deep faith in the Almighty God, who do monumental community work and help many others. Sadly, because of the church authorities and their inaction,
    this is always overlooked.

In Ireland the hill billys all go to mass.
    :rolleyes:

A case in point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

This church is corrupt from top to bottom. The pope is the biggest criminal in this "organisation". He has covered this up for years and puts on the public persona of condemning it when he protects the very people who have taken part in it.

These are bigoted ignorance of the worst kind.
    Why is people saying that god is just a fairy story bigoted? If some one said that green giants are just fairy stories, would that be bigoted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Freddie59 wrote: »
    However, comments such as "burn the church" and "imaginary man in the sky" do nothing to help. These are bigoted ignorance of the worst kind.

Imaginary friend in the sky is NOT a bigoted opinion.
    The Catholic Church and its people are easy targets today, with the rule of mob law applying. Many clergy and lay people are good, honest people, with a deep faith in the Almighty God, who do monumental community work and help many others. Sadly, because of the church authorities and their inaction,
    this is always overlooked.

Its obvious from this that the church is not reforming and failing its flock in your eyes. Why don't Catholics like yourself create a new church with new authorities? Perhaps call it the Irish Catholic church or something?

gurramok wrote: »
    Imaginary friend in the sky is NOT a bigoted opinion.

It is actually very offensive TBH.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Its obvious from this that the church is not reforming and failing its flock in your eyes. Why don't Catholics like yourself create a new church with new authorities? Perhaps call it the Irish Catholic church or something?

I suggested this to someone a while ago. I think it would be a runner.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    This church is corrupt from top to bottom. The pope is the biggest criminal in this "organisation". He has covered this up for years and puts on the public persona of condemning it when he protects the very people who have taken part in it.

Ah Keith. Coming from YOUR mind.:rolleyes: It's almost funny really.:D

Ah Keith. Coming from YOUR mind.:rolleyes: It's almost funny really.:D
    I ain't in a corrupt organisation. The Roman Catholic Church is corrupt and has protected paedophile priests for decades. This can't be denied. The Pope has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I ain't in a corrupt organisation.
    :D:D:D:D

Advertisement