Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal Sean Brady aware of abuse in 1975

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

davet82 wrote: »
    not the public service :eek:

Let's not get carried away:p

Blame where blame is due

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I remember when all this was just fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

can't we bash a different religion today? Bashing catholics has gotten soooooo boring now.

we could have a go at the flying spaghetti monster religion...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Trying to sidetrack a debate on child molestation and rape (IMO the worst crime a human being can commit) by shouting "catholic bashing" just serves as a reminder (although we dont need any further reminding) that some people are so wrapped up in this "faith" that they will believe anything fed to them by their organisation. I have absolutely nothing against any faith or spirituality but I abhor paedophiles and their cohorts regardless of race or creed and would hope any decent human would do the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Have we become desensitised to news of priests sexually abusing children? Or is it just accepted as the way of things now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Every time you see a rainbow, god is having gay sex!

smash wrote: »
    Every time you see a rainbow, god is having gay sex!

Interesting, every time I have sex I see a rainbow...hang on...does that mean I'm God?

micropig wrote: »
    Interesting, every time I have sex I see a rainbow...hang on...does that mean I'm God?
    well you're certainly gay anyway.

well you're certainly gay anyway.

That's one of the boxes ticked, or are you trying to discriminate against me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

FatherLen wrote: »
    we could have a go at the flying spaghetti monster religion...

At least Pastafarians know their religion is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

grizzly wrote: »
    Have we become desensitised to news of priests sexually abusing children? Or is it just accepted as the way of things now?

Yes and yes

Theres a thread on abuse within the RCC on the Christianity forum with over 3,000 replies,they just keep it all within one thread to save them having to go to the bother of starting a new one every few days amid new allegations,no one bats an eyelid at this stuff anymore(least of all the RCC or its faithful)

If raping children and its cover up doesnt put people off their favourite version of the sky fairy then nothing will,as a rational,thoughtful person i find that baffling,but then all of us awful anti-pedophile people will be going to hell when we die whereas these defenders of the faith will be up there with God eating steaks and riding supermodels and all that jazz:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

At least Pastafarians know their religion is a joke

Speak for yourself,i take my faith very seriously

micropig wrote: »
    That's one of the boxes ticked, or are you trying to discriminate against me?

No, no against you... against the rainbows. Why do they only like gay people? :(

No, no against you... against the rainbows. Why do they only like gay people? :(

Rainbows are the discriminator

The b@stards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Speak for yourself,i take my faith very seriously

which sect of pastafarian are you?

the macorinists tend to be very cheesy

the Vermicelloni crowd are just thick long strings of misery

the lasange extremists seem to snap under stress

and then throw shells at the Tagliatelle mob

and the Fusilli lunghi & Fusilli bucati guys are all screwed up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can I do a Godwin Catholic Bashing Mash up?
    "We are talking about a different generation. When you were asked to do something by your bishop you did precisely what you were asked to do, and responsibility went to him.”
    - Bishop Michael Clifford

That defence didn't work for the SS but it should work for the CC??

"I vas only following ze orders!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

I think the catholic church should disband following recent revelations about Brendan Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

Will brady jump before he's pushed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Fbjm wrote: »
    Omg I'm loving this. The catholic church did some very stupid stuff back in the '70s and now nobody follows them anymore, my local church now has half the priests and services it did only five years ago, same with my granny's one in palmerstown, I bet 'reaping your rewards' is not a phrase priests are all too fond of these days.

I was in mass over the summer and even small dioceses like Malahide were doing the whole cover up fiasco, 'there's going to be less masses from here on in, due to a lack of priests.' Oh really, It's not due to a lack of a flock, due to public disgust then is it not? I must be sorely mistaken!

Actually a church I attend in Kilkenny have said they will have a Polish priest over for the summer as there are not enough priests.

It was said at mass last Sunday that back in the 1960's that on average 230 priests a year were being trained in Maynooth, currently the figure is 30 and has being rising over the past few years despite the abuse scandals in the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think the catholic church should disband following recent revelations about Brendan Smith.

The church is not based on what Brendan Smyth did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

It doesn't matter, either way he will have a soft landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

It doesn't matter, either way he will have a soft landing.

What sentance would the courts normally hand out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

37 Years on and where are we? Why has Brady not being taken to account?
    This bull**** rhetoric of in hindsight, they could of done more, is nonsense.
    The very act of getting these abuse victims to sign a vow, not to tell anybody tells us where their true intentions lied. It was a criminal coverup of heinous crimes, by a morally bankrupt organization, and yet, 37 years on, nothing has changed. Brady shouldn't just step down, he should be expelled and then face the courts.
    37 years on and not a damn thing has happened.

When the politicians visited places like Artane,Brian Lenihan, the minister of education, who said " get me out of this ****ing place" when they saw the depravity, heard the stories, and yet did nothing.
    Failed their people and they are still failing their people, it's tragic and it's sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Min wrote: »
    The church is not based on what Brendan Smyth did.

But it's based on how they deal with his crimes and those of other child rapists in their ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

He forfeited his position as a moral authority figure when he failed to tell parents that their children had been raped. That would be the decent thing to do. He can hide behind the Eichmann-esque ''I just did my duty'' line all he wants, but in his heart of hearts, he must know that withholding this information was immoral, dangerous and an affront to any decent god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

oh surprise surprise :rolleyes: the church hushed up another child rapist case

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

When the politicians visited places like Artane,Brian Lenihan, the minister of education, who said " get me out of this ****ing place" when they saw the depravity, heard the stories, and yet did nothing.
    Failed their people and they are still failing their people, it's tragic and it's sickening.

Did nothing?

The state didn't just do nothing - the state imprisoned the children in the first place. They were not imprisoned by the religious - who did not have the power to do so. The state constructed a regime of committal and punishment and incarcerated children. The religious abused what was regulated by the state in ways too horrific to mention. But the state had the power to impose restraint and protect children - the state didn't. Cardinal Brady could have acted to protect children. But what of the politicians of the day, who knew what was happening in places like Artane?

Thousands of kids were put into state funded prisons commonly known (deceptively) as Industrial Schools, which had the illegal support of the state, backed by the secular courts, the police, the judiciary, the NSPCC, while the rest of Irish society followed a shameful instinct to say nothing. It was not the religious who took the children from their homes, and sentenced them. While we are burning Cardinal Brady at the stake let's remember he was not the only one who knew of abuse and should have done more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

marty1985 wrote: »
    Did nothing?

The state didn't just do nothing - the state imprisoned the children in the first place. They were not imprisoned by the religious - who did not have the power to do so. The state constructed a regime of committal and punishment and incarcerated children. The religious abused what was regulated by the state in ways too horrific to mention. But the state had the power to impose restraint and protect children - the state didn't. Cardinal Brady could have acted to protect children. But what of the politicians of the day, who knew what was happening in places like Artane?

Thousands of kids were put into state funded prisons commonly known (deceptively) as Industrial Schools, which had the illegal support of the state, backed by the secular courts, the police, the judiciary, the NSPCC, while the rest of Irish society followed a shameful instinct to say nothing. It was not the religious who took the children from their homes, and sentenced them. While we are burning Cardinal Brady at the stake let's remember he was not the only one who knew of abuse and should have done more.

You're right... I should have been thorough in my words. The industrial schools were aided and abetted by the state and the authorities who were set up to be the pillars of the state, who were as every bit as complicit as the church. The schools were archaic and dreadful and despite media coverage at the time, and public awareness, nothing was done to end it, to protect the children, their lives ruined by it. But the church still had its grip over the state and the status quo was kept intact. It was a shameful and there is no justice still.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The answer is yes. He will resign soon. He is one of the contaminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

marty1985 wrote: »
    Did nothing?

Yes the state at the time was complicit for what happened but you easily forget the power the church had over the people and state. Even up the early 90s it was illegal for shops to sell condoms, and the church had a significiant role in driving other policies.

The state has for what it's worth apologised for the mistakes of past governments and has also made compensation and support to the victims. They have also committed to putting systems and laws in place to ensure this never happens again.

The church still has people in power such as Brady that had a direct role in the church during the times the abuses were happening. In recent reviews of some dioceses it was found that the church in Ireland were still lacking in providing adequate child protection policies.

Yes the church apologised for what happened the victims, but this was extremely slow and while they were doing this publically, they were still fighting them in courts. They also didn't provide anywhere near the compensation that was promised or needed for the victims.

Above all, no matter what religion you are, I think a "man of god" should put the security of the vulnerable over the interests of an organisation's reputation.

Advertisement