Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadsheet.ie & IT deleting articles relating to Kate's death

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Identifying the employer without proper proof could be an expensive slip. Suicide and depression should always be talked about openly but lets not libel people.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Update on this here

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/11/30/kate-fitzgerald/

It's trending on #katefitzgerald too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This will end up in court.

Can't see how the company alleged to be involved here would want a light shone on their alleged operations in this case.
    Allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    This will end up in court.

Agreed.

If the IT took their piece down, obviously the threat is real enough to scare them.

Since broadsheet is only a small operation, I fear for them really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Fair f'in play to broadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Yeah, well done broadsheet. I suppose they have less to lose than the Irish Times, but it sticks in my craw when people run scared of libel allegations.

wow.

Kate, Fitzgerald and Broadsheet trending big on twitter.

http://trendsmap.com/local/ireland

Can't see anything legal happening in this environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anyone know what PR company are allegedly polishing Enda Kennys state of the nation speech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread needs a better title.

Its typical that a PR machine reacts by issuing threats rather than being open, esp Fitzgerald was not entirely hostile to The Communications Clinic in her posthumous article
    Mine was not a work-related illness. However, when I was released and when I returned to my office, things became different. I knew it would be difficult to explain to my employer, and I knew it would be difficult for them to understand an illness with no visible symptoms.

When I returned from my two-week stint in mental health limbo, where doctors and nurses admonished me for my apparent need for control, my definition of myself through the value of my trade, I expected to be accepted back as the hard-working employee I have always been.

I do not blame my employer. Ultimately those who have not suffered from the illness do not know how to approach it in others – even those who have suffered from it may find it difficult. When I returned I found myself pitying my manager who met the story of my misery with confusion.

That the IT ran for their lawyers and edited the article is no surprise.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Anyone know what PR company are allegedly polishing Enda Kennys state of the nation speech?

Or what PR company are allegedly handling the Catholic Church's abuse allegations in Raphoe today?

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Or what PR company are allegedly handling the Catholic Church's abuse allegations in Raphoe today?

Runnin' with the hare and huntin' with hounds.
    How many collection baskets did that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Fair play to broadsheet.ie. Disgraceful and disgusting behavior from that PR company. A company, who in my own opinion has contributed nothing positive to this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From http://communicationsclinic.ie/crisis.html
    We’re real good in a crisis. And we’ve dealt with a lot of them. Tourism disasters, oil spills, accidental poisonings, crashes, explosions and innumerable corporate embarrassments.

And some of them make great stories. Stories that we can’t tell. Because our first job in most crises is to minimise their public impact, which militates against us talking about them.

We can’t tell you what we’ve done, but we can tell you how we do it.

We begin by doing nothing publicly. Nada. Zilch. Not a sausage. Until we know the facts. We dig, interrogate, investigate and question until we have every salient piece of data. And we do that as fast as possible.

Once the data is in we advise what to do. And we prepare the communications. That might mean prepping the client for a press conference or interviews, drafting press statements, FAQs, community letters. Or it might mean arranging briefings with media or shareholders or staff.

If you have a crisis and you call us, we can promise you a number of things; we’ll provide you the best in the business. We’ll take your crisis as seriously as you do. We will be with you, side-by-side until the crisis is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

dav3 wrote: »
    Fair play to broadsheet.ie. Disgraceful and disgusting behavior from that PR company. A company, who in my own opinion has contributed nothing positive to this country.

Looked at their website there... hideous cringe worthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

They've posted it back up, and they have put the articles back online

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/11/30/kate-fitzgerald/#comments
    Many people have asked us why we removed the two posts concerning Kate Fitzgerald, the 25-year-old writer and PR consultant who took her own life in August.

The short answer is that we were scared.

Our first post on Saturday was a direct report and link to an Irish Times article on Kate’s life and death by Peter Murtagh.

The article revealed that Kate was the author of an anonymous column that was published in the paper in September. This was a plea for a greater understanding of depression in the Irish workplace. It detailed Kate’s own struggle, a suicide attempt and hospitalisation and her disappointment at the subsequent attitude of her employer towards her condition.

After we posted the item it became clear that Kate’s employer had been The Communications Clinic, the media training company owned by Terry Prone, her husband Tom Savage, and their son, Anton Savage.

We then discovered that a month before Kate’s suicide, Karagh Fox, a 26-year-old employee at the company, at an Employment Appeals Tribunal hearing, made a number of serious claims against senior staff and management at the Communications Clinic alleging bullying and intimidation. The case appears to have been settled in October.

On Monday morning, we posted Kate’s column from the Irish Times alongside a report in the Irish Independent of the tribunal hearing which included the allegations made by Ms Fox.

On Monday afternoon we noticed the original article by Kate on the Irish Times website had been crudely altered. Three key paragraphs relating to her employer had been removed without explanation.

The excised sentences from Kate’s column were among those we had published ourselves. The Irish Times, we have since learned, was asked to remove the paragraphs after being threatened with legal action by The Communications Clinic.

Later that evening we were warned by a journalist that a “libel landmine was about to blow up in our faces”, that Kate had been “mentally ill” and that she had never complained to her colleagues or management about their attitude towards her illness. We now understand and it is our honestly held view that the journalist was told to issue the message to us and that it had originally come from a senior member of the Communications Clinic.

At about 1.30am, after getting legal advice, we removed the posts.

Yesterday morning, we received an email from Kate’s mother Sally Fitzgerald.

She said she was horrified at the Irish Times for “butchering” her daughter’s article and was concerned that we had removed our posts under threat of legal action.

We spoke with Sally on the phone and explained to her the sequence of events that led to us taking down our posts.

Sally and her husband Tom wish to make it clear that they back “every word” Kate wrote in her original article.

We have reinstated both posts because we believe it is in the public interest to do so and they are available below.

The Story Of Kate Fitzgerald

A Breakdown In Communications

I have never rated Terry Prone, but never really minded Anton, pretty sure I don't think so highly of him now! Someone should mention this when he's doing The Apprentice You're Fired. I hope they do and I hear it back, cos I won't be watching it! (should actually point out, I don't watch it anyway, but if I did watch it i'd stop :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Irish Time article, bits they removed are in bold:

Mine was not a work-related illness. At least not before I entered the hospital. However, when I was released and when I returned to my office, things became different. I knew it would be difficult to explain to my employer, and I knew it would be difficult for them to understand an illness with no visible symptoms. I did not, however, expect that I would be met with casual hostility, with passive-aggressive references to my mental incapacity for my profession, and my apparently perceived “plan” to leave the company entirely in the lurch.

“When I returned from my two-week stint in mental health limbo, where doctors and nurses admonished me for my apparent need for control, my definition of myself through the value of my trade, I expected to be accepted back as the hard-working employee I have always been.

I do not blame my employer. Ultimately those who have not suffered from the illness do not know how to approach it in others – even those who have suffered from it may find it difficult. When I returned I found myself pitying my manager who met the story of my misery with confusion and the suggestion that I could not be trusted with seniority. I was accused of planning my absence. Every question seemed posed with the hope that it might bolster a preconceived notion.

She added:

Clearly, they had no idea what to do.
    Much of what my employer has done and said since my absence has been illegal. And I do not think for a minute that what my employer did was an isolated incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Its disgraceful what they've done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Seem they are having a nice lesson in the Streisand effect today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Take it Joe Duffy won't be covering this then... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Sharrow wrote: »

who? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Sharrow wrote: »

yawha

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A PR company who don't understand how to manage their own online PR. It's always better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Good job guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

mikom wrote: »
    I know you know already, but for public record it was mentioned in an Irish Independent article too:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/enda-may-use-toy-show-slot-for-speech-to-nation-2947299.html

'It's the normal team. He (Mr Kenny) works on and finalises all his speeches himself," a government source said.

PR consultant Terry Prone, whose Communications Clinic often does work for Fine Gael, was also being mentioned for "polishing".'

It's also worth mentioning again that the director of the Communications Clinic is Tom Savage, who is the Chairman of the RTÉ Authority. The chairman of the Communications Clinic, Terry Prone, writes a weekly opinion column for the Irish Examiner newspaper.

Anyone know who is heading up the RTÉ Authority inquiry into Prime Time Investigates breaches of ethics?

http://www.rte.ie/about/authority.html

Edit: just beaten to it by splitrmx (same post time lol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »

And what great work they did for Gay in the presedential election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

who? :pac:
    The effect of attempting to hide or obstruct a story is to make the story bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Don't see how the Times could be sued for libel considering neither of their articles mentioned the Communications Clinic.

• Advertisement

splitrmx wrote: »
    I know you know already, but for public record it was mentioned in an Irish Independent article too:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/enda-may-use-toy-show-slot-for-speech-to-nation-2947299.html

'It's the normal team. He (Mr Kenny) works on and finalises all his speeches himself," a government source said.

PR consultant Terry Prone, whose Communications Clinic often does work for Fine Gael, was also being mentioned for "polishing".'

It's also worth mentioning again that the director of the Communications Clinic is Tom Savage, who is the Chairman of the RTÉ Authority. The chairman of the Communications Clinic, Terry Prone, writes a weekly opinion column for the Irish Examiner newspaper.

Worth mentioning too that their son Anton Savage, who gets all his media work on his own merits, also works for the Communications Clinic.

Advertisement