Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Show us yer tank! (DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

Tis a Juwel Vision 180 litre (bowed front). I've 1 common goldfish, 1 Shubunkin, 1 Ranchu (not sure if thats what it is??), 5 Zebra Danios and 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnows.

4 Real plants: 1 Amazon Sword, and 3 I'm not sure what they are, the red-y one I got in Ikea! I also have 1 piece of bog wood.

I run 2 filters (Fluval 4plus and fluval U1) and a heater in the winter (I keep the tank around 20 degrees C).

Ammonia 0 to 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ~10ppm, PH ~ 7.5.

1.Tank.jpg

2.Shubi.jpg

3.Walter.jpg

4.Yawn.jpg

Also available in night mode....

5.NightMode.jpg

6.NightRummage.jpg

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

WIZE wrote: »
    i can give you an Angel fish . im in Celbridge . its about 4 inches
    Thanks for the offer... but I was planning to get a small angel fish so my tetras don't end up in his mouth!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Silverfish wrote: »
    img0187ju.jpg

Just remembered this - that was then, and this is now:

CnbhXl.jpg

Moved him into a 300L tank

ArsmMl.jpg

He's still the boss of the tank though.

h38Lql.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

here's the new addition. it's a 2nd hand 260L Juwel Vision.

it's going to need a lot of work to get it how i want it, but it'll have to do how it is for now whilst i get together all the bits and pieces i want.

no backing yet, so that's the dining room wallpaper you can see behind it. :)

it got about 75% of the water from my old 65L aquarium, plus a good squeeze out of the filter media and the existing substrate and filter came full of the good (and most likely bad, but you can't win them all) stuff from its old home so i'm just going to keep an eye on the levels and do frequent water changes as required until it's all settled down, then i'll look at getting re-decorating and maybe getting another few fish to liven the place up a bit.

I still have the 65L tank on the go with a single fish in, who was very antisocial towards everyone else in the small tank before i upgraded, so i've left him where he is. my wife wanted me to feed him to our cats because he's killed off at least half a dozen other fish inc. 2 angels, but i'm getting far too soft in my old age so he's living out his time in solitary for now. if anything else seems overly aggressive in the bigger tank, i'll just move them in with him and they can fight it out together. :)

fishies.jpg

my long term plan will be lots of sand, bogwood & plenty of live plants with a plain dark background (or possibly something 3D), but it'll do as it is for now, it's keeping both our cats and the new baby very entertained as it is.

catfish2.jpg

i also have an air pump with it, so i'll be looking at getting some pipe to snake around under the substrate for some bubble action, i've just got to find somewhere that has some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Seahorse definitely has air line.
    I imagine that most stores would

• Advertisement

Seahorse definitely has air line.
    I imagine that most stores would
    i'm working out near blanchardstown so i was going to try the Petstop out there next to Lidl in Blanch and see what they have.

if not, i might nip round to seahorse tomorrow afternoon, thanks for the tip although i think if i go in there, i'll come out with half the shop! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Paid a visit to Seahorse over the weekend and added 2 Dwarf Rainbow Gourami, 2 Dwarf Powder Gourami and 4 Guppies to the tank over the weekend. :)

There were already 2 Clown loach, a Pleco and 14 Neon Tetras in there so pretty full for now! If anyone can identify the plants I'd appreciate it. Have a nice backing for the tank but haven't gotten around to putting it on yet.

176750.JPG

176751.jpg

Silverfish wrote: »
    Moved him into a 300L tank

What's that you have either side of the thermometer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Sleepy wrote: »
    What's that you have either side of the thermometer?

An Ammonia Alert and a pH Alert. Or the Food alerts, since the big fish clacks them against the glass to get attention when he's hungry.

Must look out for some of those, good idea!

• Advertisement

i have an ammonia alert one, very handy to be keeping an eye on things at a glance without having to whip out the tester.

the dot in the middle changes colour depending on the current conditions (and will change back when they improve) and the colour wheel around the dot gives you something to compare it against.

very clever really. not a replacement for regular testing, but still very useful imho.

they're made by a company called seachem and you can find stockists via google or ebay by searching for "seachem alert".

the ammonia one lasts for up to 12 months but the pH one is only for up to 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Apologies for the blurry pics!

Tank front view
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10772

Rummynoses in lotus
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10773

Talyn shows off his tail
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10771

Front view. You can see the tetras at the end and Talyn perched on the wood in the middle by the bubble tube, it's one of his favourite hang out spots.
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10774

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

To me, the addition of a little root wood has made a tonne of a difference

P1000612.JPG
    P1000619.JPG

Love the planting, really impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

This is my 128lt Boyu TL-550 that I picked up in the Local Connacht Gold (to be fair Ive studied civil engineering, and the filter system is better than alot of the wastewater plants around the county!)

I've got 2 weather loaches in it, and 8 goldfish, as far as i can figure, there's 2 longtailed ones, a common, 2 shubunkins a comet and 2 black goldfish.. which im still not sure what they are, all i can find online is black moors, and im certain that theyre definitely not moors. Ive had this setup for about 2 months now, after moving them out of a small little 35lt tank (i know, bit too small). It's going to be fun when I move in the next few weeks! but when im settled into the new place I was thinkin of adding some other things, anyone got any suggestions?

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

theses are the 2 black 'goldies'
    IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

and finally a video..

I'd hold off adding any more fish to that unless you can move the goldies somewhere else...

128 litres is *WAY* too small for 8 goldfish... It's recommended to have 140l for the first goldfish and another 40l per fish thereafter... Adding the bio-load of the weather loaches and you should be at about 450l for that many fish...

450lt?... would that not mean that most of the fish tanks on the market are far too small as it is? (I am aware that goldfish are the rats of the fish world, as regards dirtyness) The one I have was on the larger side to the ones I could find, infact I didnt see any over 350lt... I would assume alot has to do with the filters? Not quite sure what the specs on it are, but the whole back portion is the filter

It's to do with goldie's being large fish that need room to swim (common's grow up to over a foot in length!) and, as you said, they're dirty fish. Most common tropical fish require far smaller tanks than goldfish.

Most fish tanks you see in pet shops are way too small, goldfish bowls are downright animal cruelty.

A foot? :o i only thought koi would get that bag? because years ago when my mum had fish, they were years old and none of them aver grew bigger than 3 inches, and then they got ich from a pair of moors she bought and the whole lot ended up underneath the front garden :(

Also, any suggestions to what the black ones are?

If none of your mum's fish grew beyond 3" it's probably because they were stunted from being kept in a fish bowl; keeping a goldfish in a bowl is the equivalant of keeping a human in a room 3' square because that's what they measure back to front.

This is Paul, common, shop bought goldie, in a tank while I was cleaning out the garden pond. He was bought about 10 years ago from a petshop at the length of an inch or so. The tank he's in in the pic is 12" in diameter, and he was completely unable to move in there. I doubt if he'd even fit inside a standard goldfish bowl. I'm moving him indoors away from the bad weather (the pond froze almost solid last winter) and I've had to get a 120L tank which is the bare minimum he needs. Ideally he'd be in something twice the size.
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=8999

• Advertisement

No, she had a 50/60 lt rectangular one.. Ive never kept a fish in a bowl, even took my little sisters one that she had in a glass vase for about 3 weeks, was doing great, then all of a sudden seemed to be just staying in the 1 spot for a few days, then one day i seen him stuck to the filter inlet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I decided to change my tank over from a standard community tank to an African Tanganyikan Cichlid tank. I gave my local petshop all of my fish except my pleco in exchange for some fish food. The substrate is coral sand and the rocks are ocean rocks. Even after two rinses the sand still clouded up the tank, which wasn't unexpected. I collected some sea snail shells down the local beech for a bit of decoration.

I've changed the rocks around a few times and I'm still not 100% happy and I'm sure i'll change it around again over the coming days, maybe take out a few stones.

For now the pleco has the whole tank to himself but not for long. I'll be picking up some fish this week, maybe some shell dwellers. I'll update the pictures when I ad some more fishies :)

3c2bde94.jpg

c84208dc.jpg

9712e455.jpg

9712e455.jpg

8b76b0e9.jpg

c5bc7aa0.jpg

2d3a4ff1.jpg

3436e327.jpg

Got my tanks all planted up.

20L betta tank
    bettatank.jpg

40L BiUbe
    tank2.jpg
    tank1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Following on from our 1st tank (500 litre Discuss tank)....This is project number 2 (the expensive one,as Im finding out the hard way. :eek::D ).

This little 120 litre Juwel tank will now become a sump for a custom made marine tank.It has to be modified and sectioned off to make the sump.

What am I getting myself into here???:D

LOL, my 'massive tank' is your 'little sump' :D

it's not the size of the tank, it's what you put in it...

...or something. :pac:

kylith wrote: »
    LOL, my 'massive tank' is your 'little sump' :D

Excuse the pun here....but......I think Im in a bit too "deep" here now.

We have allready spent out a bleedin fortune on this marine setup as of present,and still dont even have the tank or cabinet made.

Some amount of equipement and gear needed to do marine.:eek:

Oh well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

paddy - does the equipment in your marine tank degrade much faster than in freshwater and if so, how much faster?
    thanks

fungun wrote: »
    paddy - does the equipment in your marine tank degrade much faster than in freshwater and if so, how much faster?
    thanks

Havent even got the tank made yet,so I cant say or tell you.

Tank,cabinet and sump are all being built by Seahorse Aquariams,as we speak.:)

So far,the following has been bought....

1 x Deltec MC500 Protein Skimmer
    1 x FMR75 Fluidised Reactor and Pump
    1 bag of Bio Pellets
    2 x Koralia 4S turbine blowers
    1 x V2 Vectron 600 UV Light Sterilisation System.
    1 x 5 stage "pumped" Reverse Osmosis water system (will be here on Monday)

God knows what else.:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

id be interested to know the final cost of an entire marine setup.....it has been in my mind for a while as i moved from typical community to cichlids....seems like the obvious next step!

Advertisement