Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mosasaur Thread

Options
  • 04-05-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like protein tissue from the Cretaceous mosasaur Prognathodon has been found.
    I for one look forward to seeing the monster in Sea World :)
    Swedish scientists detail their new mosasaur find. The researchers note that the earlier ancient protein extractions have been controversial, but note that their new research is backed up by several tests to corroborate the tissue's authenticity.

The researchers used infrared microspectoscopy, mass spectrometry, and a chemical analysis on the ancient sea-going predator's remains to make sure what they had found was not contamination from bacteria or other modern sources.

Read more here.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWgWh_6LQm3dYzH5pXiQtyu8aq-C_5lmpi_ENpDuvIBIGTLFHz&t=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Does this mean that getting a sample of DNA is possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Imagine the possibilities of sequencing that??/?

You finally get to see if your classification of the amimal families was right, and what there closest living reletives are. That could make understanding what the creatures habits and behaviour was easier.

Now, if they could only find a sample of Rex...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

What ever happened to the soft tissue they found in a T-Rex leg bone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Imagine the possibilities of sequencing that??/?

You finally get to see if your classification of the amimal families was right, and what there closest living reletives are. That could make understanding what the creatures habits and behaviour was easier.

Even if you dont have the DNA you could still sequence the protein and compare it to the proteins coded by known DNA sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Adam Khor wrote: »

As far as I know it's ongoing...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56732221

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Adam Khor wrote: »

It was tasty......:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

They also swam like sharks, not eels, but this had already been revealed :D

http://www.livescience.com/17071-mosasaur-fossil-skin-locomotion.html

mosasaurus_shark_tail.jpg

mosasaur-scales.jpg?1321481284

Guess that'll be the end of the undulating mosasaurs so.

A shark's skin supposedly helps it move more effortlessly through the water. (I am not sure this is true but it seems to be.) So if this is the case then other marine creatures that evolved a similar system is not beyond the bounds of possibility really.

Rubecula wrote: »
    A shark's skin supposedly helps it move more effortlessly through the water. (I am not sure this is true but it seems to be.) So if this is the case then other marine creatures that evolved a similar system is not beyond the bounds of possibility really.

Its actually to be expected. And yes, the denticles in a shark's skin help it move better underwater- I remember someone was designing a diver's suit that replicated a shark's skin. It allowed the divers/swimmers to move much faster than with normal suits!

• Advertisement

Huh huh....

butthead-butt-head.jpg&sa=X&ei=I9nKTr-7OsrKhAfdx7nxDw&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHDbF8KEQkiyhNTTq5mLtmCpWuyJw

Denticles.

And not only that; a freshwater mosasaur with legs. It could probably crawl on land.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/12/121219-sea-monster-new-species-freshwater-paleontology-science/

20121219-pannoniasaurus-rekonstrukcio.jpg

pannoniasaurus_by__tibor_pecsics.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The T-Rex of inland waterways :pac:

Kess73 wrote: »
    The T-Rex of inland waterways :pac:

Oh no don't. Please don't .... :D

Another good find Adam, I bet one of them would keep herons from the fish pond.

Chalk up another transitional fossil.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Oh no don't. Please don't .... :D

Another good find Adam, I bet one of them would keep herons from the fish pond.

Would probably eat all the fish too XD

Ichthyosaurs in the Cambrian? Now wouldn't that be something? They must be hanging out with Robin Hood!

See I knew Ichthyosaurs were totally awesome they even invented time machines, and perpetual motion mechanisms.

• Advertisement

What, now you need to be registered to READ their articles?

Shame on you, Nat Geo. You used to be cool.

Working normally for me and I never registered? :confused:

How do they know the remains were scavenged?

It's an assumption apparently, because the jaws and skulls were not the "meaty parts", or that's what I think I read... :pac: Then again, I was under the impression that mosasaurs ate their prey either whole or in huge chunks, bones and all, so I don´t know...

Study included ancient sea turtle, mosasaur and ichthyosaur. Apparently mosasaurs had a dark back and a light underbelly which is not surprising in an aquatic predator, whereas the ichthyosaurs were completely black.

Not sure how accurate this may be... after all, if those are the melanosomes preserved, wouldn´t one expect to find only the black pigmentation? Or did I get something wrong?

http://www.livescience.com/42415-ancient-marine-beast-color.html

ich-mosasaur.jpg?1389199230

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Again, echoing OP from what I remember of the fossilisation of soft material was always a very hap-hazard process, but not completely unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Seems to be a technique that would come a very large margin of error.

If we were to take it as being the norm for medium to large aquatic animals and also medium to large aquatic/semi aquatic reptiles, then what evolutionary advantage was there for modern day aquatic animals of size to lose the same black colourations?

I think that some extinct sea reptiles etc may have been black, but think colourations may have been as varied as they are today, and free swimming predators in particular would most likely have had body colourations that aided them ( dark on top, light underneath). Now I could see the advantage for an ambush predator to be dark or dull in colour, but again this would not mean that it had to be black.

The UV protection bit I think is also very debatable as if it was such a big advantage ( even taking what we think the climate was like back then) then it would still make evolutionary sense now.

No shark-like coastal nurseries for baby mosasaurs (at least some of them) after all:

http://www.futurity.org/mosasaurs-babies-895672/

Csotonyi_JuvenileMosasaur_1170-770x616.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

At least some species of Mosasaurs may have given birth to live offspring, like Ichthyosaurs. According to the article "Viviparity in Mosasaurs", from mapoflife.org, Carsosaurus marchesetti, described as a primitive "mosasaurid" of the Cretaceous, was certainly viviparous. A fossil of a pregnant Carsosaurus with four embryos has been discovered.

Advertisement