Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Well the consenus in the office here, after a brief polling, there will be no snow but I a fascinated by Piers Corbyns research and possible outlook for the next 25years. This mini Ice Age he speaks of and how by the end of this month (The 27th) there will be a change in temp and possible snow by the 29th of Nov. The first change in temp is to be expected by next week. We'll wait with bated breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

could somebody please explain to me how the jet stream works, what is referred to as the northern arm of it and where it has to be for arepeat of last year cold weather. also could someone explain what blocking means .thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

Blocking,I think is a high pressure system that stops the usual Atlantic weather coming in.
    air flows clockwise around it so when it sits on Scandinavia and is strong enough,the clockwise winds are from the cold east.
    The jet sometimes splits in two in those situations which may mean it still has enough energy in its north arm to send the mild in.

You don't want that you want the jet blowing into Spain and the Med in full.
    The low pressures going there would mean stronger east winds here from the Scandinavia high.
    The high can be mid Atlantic too as long as its angled so as to blow in bitter northeast winds.
    That's what happened last nov-dec I think.

Jet streams can be found on many planets but here were are clearly talking about mother Earth! They are basically caused by solar radiation which in turn effects significant differences in temperature as the planet rotates on its axis and we experience a heating of the atmosphere. You ever been on a plane and experience turbulence? That is thanks, and no thanks, to jet streams. So... this is why we see differences in temp between the poles and then the consistent heat along the equator which constantly is reached by solar radiation and the poles receive less (As I mentioned, due to the rotation of the earth on it's axis. That do?

Blocking causes weather to be sustained in whatever weather they are currently experiencing. Like a ring that surrounds a country, protecting it from being affected by any other form of weathering. Like the persistent cold and snow we had last year was extended due to blocking... in a nut shell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The latest GEFS run shows that things will cool down to average or slightly above average temperatures for the third and fourth weeks of November, with colder air making some inroads to our NW, N and NE and E.

The GEFS has been hinting at a late November outbreak of wintry weather over Ireland/UK for the past week. However, there are few signs of any blocking highs over Scandinavia or Greenland come the end of the third week of November, which suggests that a brief plunge in temps is entirely possible but the Atlantic is favoured to regain control of our weather before month's end.

The below animation features the 850hpa's (temp at 1500m approx.) for the aforementioned period. Generally, 850pa's over Ireland should be in the region of -5 (abs minimum) to -8 (preferable) to favour precipitation falling as snow.

421874.gif

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff... Thanks for that. Very informative!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

could somebody please explain to me how the jet stream works, what is referred to as the northern arm of it and where it has to be for arepeat of last year cold weather. also could someone explain what blocking means .thanks

The Jetstream and The Weather in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The latest GEFS run shows that things will cool down to average or slightly above average temperatures for the third and fourth weeks of November, with colder air making some inroads to our NW, N and NE and E.

The GEFS has been hinting at a late November outbreak of wintry weather over Ireland/UK for the past week. However, there are few signs of any blocking highs over Scandinavia or Greenland come the end of the third week of November, which suggests that a brief plunge in temps is entirely possible but the Atlantic is favoured to regain control of our weather before month's end.

The below animation features the 850hpa's (temp at 1500m approx.) for the aforementioned period. Generally, 850pa's over Ireland should be in the region of -5 (abs minimum) to -8 (preferable) to favour precipitation falling as snow.

421874.gif

That is the GFS control run, which starts off the same as the GFS operational but it is done at a lower resolution (same as the ensemble members) so its basically just an even less reliable version of the GFS operational in FI. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Necron

Lets hope we can all last through it again :)

I would be more worried, based on posts here, that some may not last through a winter with NO snow. I predict a sad state of affairs this winter and deep depressions across the country in the event of a mild November, December and January...:D:cool::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

And I just bought my Snow Boots.

Now you see, this is my worry. That all of these predictions of snow and Piers Corbyns prediction (as well as many other Astrophysicists and meteorologists) that we are only in the beginning of a mini ice age which will last for the next 25years. What if they have shares in snow gear (tyre socks, shoe grips etc). They'd be doing well!!
    What does everyone think of these predictions? Now, I know the signifier 'prediction' may have you think of crystal balls and tarot cards but this is no such thing with Piers. He is a scientist and has been studying Jet streams (solar radiation/flares/activity) and the lunar (moon) cycles as predictors of weather. We all know that these stars affect the Earth is different ways (gravitational pull, the moving of tides etc) so perhaps he has it right. He also said there would be floods in Pakistan and he was right there. He predicted the Blizzards of the 12th of December (to the very DATE) last year. It would seem that he can do a better job than the MET Offices forecasts. I've been doing a fair amount of research into this and I also would like to believe it for the simple reasons that I love snow and colder weather but you cannot get away from the fact he and his team made pretty accurate predictions. Of course, he also acknowledges where some predictions were not as severe or as mild as predicted and he shows the reasons for this.
    Thank god this forum exists... it's great to get some things off the chest!

thanks for the replies on the jetstream and blocking highs it makes it a bit easier to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

todays models generally aren’t too interested in changing the pattern we’re currently stuck in, upstream teleconnections are more keen and now seem to be hinting slightly more towards a pattern change as we move towards the middle of November. I’ve previously spoken about the NAO and AO and how we ideally need both of these to be negative to bring colder, snowier weather to the United Kingdom, today both of these are hinting at dropping into the negative towards Mid-Month,

This would suggest High Pressure over the Arctic and indeed, in the Atlantic which is positive if you’re looking forward to seeing colder, snowier weather.

Another teleconnection we can look at is the MJO, which is currently forecasted to move towards a weak phrase 1, the composits for this are High Pressure towards the North, and Low Pressure over, or South of the United Kingdom.

So, the signs are there and are indeed, increasing for a pattern change as we move towards the middle of November and indeed, beyond. It’s important to remember though at these are computer models and like all weather models, they can change in an instant. If the forecast remains the same in the computer models for the next 4-5 days, then I think we can become a little more confident about a change in the outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Caff Caff wrote: »
    I would be more worried, based on posts here, that some may not last through a winter with NO snow. I predict a sad state of affairs this winter and deep depressions across the country in the event of a mild November, December and January...:D:cool::D

Booked My Flights To Kiruna Sweden Yesterday for Jan.! :)
    Hoping to see the lights ! ... but ye... heres a picture from Jan earlier this year :)

5400687973_f6c6d27980.jpg

Now you see, this is my worry. That all of these predictions of snow and Piers Corbyns prediction (as well as many other Astrophysicists and meteorologists) that we are only in the beginning of a mini ice age which will last for the next 25years. What if they have shares in snow gear (tyre socks, shoe grips etc). They'd be doing well!!
    What does everyone think of these predictions? Now, I know the signifier 'prediction' may have you think of crystal balls and tarot cards but this is no such thing with Piers. He is a scientist and has been studying Jet streams (solar radiation/flares/activity) and the lunar (moon) cycles as predictors of weather. We all know that these stars affect the Earth is different ways (gravitational pull, the moving of tides etc) so perhaps he has it right. He also said there would be floods in Pakistan and he was right there. He predicted the Blizzards of the 12th of December (to the very DATE) last year. It would seem that he can do a better job than the MET Offices forecasts. I've been doing a fair amount of research into this and I also would like to believe it for the simple reasons that I love snow and colder weather but you cannot get away from the fact he and his team made pretty accurate predictions. Of course, he also acknowledges where some predictions were not as severe or as mild as predicted and he shows the reasons for this.
    Thank god this forum exists... it's great to get some things off the chest!
    i missed what piers predicted could you post a link or give me a summary thanks

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Booked My Flights To Kiruna Sweden Yesterday for Jan.! :)
    Hoping to see the lights ! ... but ye... heres a picture from Jan earlier this year :)

5400687973_f6c6d27980.jpg

Let me rephrase... I now predict a deep depression setting in RIGHT NOW!! WOW... Check out that pic. Jealous!! Enjoy the holiday... if the flights aren't delayed of course :0):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cant wait to land at this airport!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »

Cant wait to land at this airport!! :D:D:D

If you land...

Sorry... there goes the jealousy again

This is possibly the most interesting of Piers Corbyns videos. He has been absolutely SPOT on for his prediction of September and October!! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJngbpqHAdY&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

decided to do a bit of research on that guy and wow, he's been very accurate and going by what he said, get out the snow boots :o
    not sure if i want it or not this year

decided to do a bit of research on that guy and wow, he's been very accurate and going by what he said, get out the snow boots :o
    not sure if i want it or not this year

I know! He's unreal. Well, he and his team. He always says WE. He predicted the tropical storm in Queensland, the VERY unusual Tornado in South Africa (which the Government ignored when his team warned them) the warm weather in US and sudden change to snow blizzards which we recently seen on the news. The floods here in Ireland and UK. The science cannot be argued with anymore and NASA completely agree with him and his team now. He said not to listen to the Charlatans that said October would see snow... he said it will be mild and there will be some tropical storms (which we had from the tail of Irene - again, his forecast) and then the sudden, sharp cold in the first week of November, which we had and then mild weather and then there will be cold cold snow snow snow... BOOOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Are his monthly forecasts available anywhere? He's always been great at blowing his own trumpet and claiming to definitively know how to predict the weather

Harps wrote: »
    Are his monthly forecasts available anywhere? He's always been great at blowing his own trumpet and claiming to definitively know how to predict the weather

yes Weatheraction.com or youtube.
    Interestingly, he doesn't blow his own trumpet. It's blown for him...so to speak...
    He explains the science and how his predictions have been true. It is his goal to prove that the weather forecasters we have and their "science" is not science at all. As he says, "when will the world listen to science that works, rather than science that does not work". If he can predict tornados, blizzards, heat waves to the very DATE for the last number of years then I say give the man his own show...but they don't and he keeps going, unfunded because he believes. How many great men have we read something similar about in History??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qqg5NV3HbA

this is another interesting video posted by Piers Corbyn and listen to what he says about Earthquakes and Volcanoes and then look up the Volcano that is erupting in the Canaries right this minute on an Island called El Hiero. I have been watching this Volcano since June as there has been over 10,000 earthquakes there since June of this year. How? They were, most of them, 2-6km's under the surface and they would barely be felt by the residents but check it out for yourselves. Magma is spewing into the sea like a jacuzzi and a new island is forming from the pumes. At the moment, they think the actual Volcano is going to go and if it does... Not good for the US east coast if anyone remembers the BBC programme on this Volcano and the devastating aftermath of it's eruption. Tsunami's etc. The point being, Piers is alluding to it here. I'm dreaming... of a white...Christmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I know! He's unreal. Well, he and his team. He always says WE. He predicted the tropical storm in Queensland, the VERY unusual Tornado in South Africa (which the Government ignored when his team warned them) the warm weather in US and sudden change to snow blizzards which we recently seen on the news. The floods here in Ireland and UK. The science cannot be argued with anymore and NASA completely agree with him and his team now. He said not to listen to the Charlatans that said October would see snow... he said it will be mild and there will be some tropical storms (which we had from the tail of Irene - again, his forecast) and then the sudden, sharp cold in the first week of November, which we had and then mild weather and then there will be cold cold snow snow snow... BOOOM!

:confused: Did i miss something?

:confused: Did i miss something?

The frost we had for three nights and early mornings there. So yes... you must have missed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The frost we had for two nights there. So yes... you must have missed that.

Frosty night in November? Why I never! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement