Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you in the 1%?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Coming from the man who employs out of the FAS apprenticeship scheme.

What's your point exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

earning over 37k is not the 1% people are refering too. thats ridiculous to think people would have a problem with that.

its the disproprotionate distribution between the 1% earning more money then the 99%.

we are talking millions/billions, not tens of thousands.

So according to this poll 37% are members of the 1%, does not compute!!! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

wow I'm in there. 56,996,229 richest person in the world! You can run and tell that, homeboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

geetar wrote: »
    earning over 37k is not the 1% people are refering too. thats ridiculous to think people would have a problem with that.

its the disproprotionate distribution between the 1% earning more money then the 99%.

we are talking millions/billions, not tens of thousands.

So what your saying is we shouldn't worry about income disparities between first world and third world countries because that would mean we'd have to start giving away some of our income instead of receiving other peoples income?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

They use 99 % as a slogan, 99.9% would prolly have freaked out a lot of people. (turn upside down) But a fact is that 400 of the richest in USA earn the same as the lowest 50% of USA combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

shanered wrote: »
    I do believe your percentages are wrong...but hey...

what percent sure are you?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

70% of people in the top 1% feel that more than 50% of people are better off than them even though they would rate themselves in the top 20% in terms of ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DLC69

Dotrel wrote: »
    What does that even mean? For instance earning 38k in Ireland won't give you the same standard of living that 20k might in Eastern Europe.

Earning €80K in Ireland won't give you as high a standard of living as earning $50K in 2/3 of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DLC69

Interesting to note that the 210 people who have currently answered the poll as not being in the 1% seem to have no problem with accessing the internet. Hmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hardly interesting when you do not need to be earning €37,780 or more to use the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

DLC69 wrote: »
    Interesting to note that the 210 people who have currently answered the poll as not being in the 1% seem to have no problem with accessing the internet. Hmmmm....

Why are you part of the 1% and feel the rest of us are bending the truth.
    I'm not even part of the 13.35% never mind 1%.
    Maybe this is suggesting if you're on the internet you can't be that poor,
    Not starving, not able to buy enough food either, worried about having anywhere to live in six months but not dying no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DLC69 wrote: »
    Earning €80K in Ireland won't give you as high a standard of living as earning $50K in 2/3 of the US.

yes it would

comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

This should be the 75th post in this thread, statistically we should have about three quarters of a 1%er by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I would appear that I am part of the 35.55%

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yes , more assets than debt too, so technically im above the us goverment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭ameliadad

i fall just short of the 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Helix wrote: »
    MungBean wrote: »
    Facts to back this up please. No way in hell €150 a week is in the top 13.35% of incomes. Methinks you have this arseways.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

i think you underestimate how many poor people there are in the world

Jesus I'm in the top 1%. Almost 58th millionth in the world.

Suck it up biatches.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

My maw used to earn €100,000+ per year ... without a college degree...

damn, those were the days!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anita M. wrote: »
    They use 99 % as a slogan, 99.9% would prolly have freaked out a lot of people. (turn upside down) But a fact is that 400 of the richest in USA earn the same as the lowest 50% of USA combined.
    At one point Bill Gates alone had as much personal wealth as the lowest 40% of USA combined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Factor in cost of living there, I'd much rather be on 150 euro in Nairobi than Dublin.
    No way Jack :eek:

Siuin wrote: »
    My maw used to earn €100,000+ per year ... without a college degree...

damn, those were the days!!
    Your Maw ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Randomly came across this tonight:

See, heres the thing. So what if Moore is indeed worth 50 million. He earned it. People watched & bought his documentaries. He made money in the process. Who here wouldnt do the same.

And as for saying "is that what you sell? rumors?" ... While the youtube uploader claims that his movies are a load of horse crap too. Its still the pot calling the kettle black by that journalist. As they too are guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The poll just shows that boards is made up of well paid professionals and dreamer students.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The poll just shows that boards is made up of well paid professionals and dreamer students.

Orange,
    I couldnt agree more. Theres no way the majority here are making over 37k. I know this board tends to have more middle class people than working class. But its still unrealistic.

I also think your statement of "dreamer students" is quite accurate.... "well see im in college and studying a good profession. I am like, ya know, better than most people, like" - coming from the same person who wouldn't dare accept any job that requires any physical nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I remember a guy in careers class a couple years back turning to me one day and saying "If your not starting out on a salary of a quater mil a year your job is not worth it" haha, wonder were he is now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Gandalph wrote: »
    I remember a guy in careers class a couple years back turning to me one day and saying "If your not starting out on a salary of a quater mil a year your job is not worth it" haha, wonder were he is now!?

Binman

Gandalph wrote: »

Scratching his balls as he waits in line to collect his dole.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Binman

I'd rather be a binman than on the dole mate.
    And for the record I am on the social welfare at the moment. You'll never have anything while on the social. You can with a job.

But .. thats what I hate too. I am not talking about you. But the mentality that being a "binman" or "caretaker" (etc) is seen as a such low classed job. That its beneath most people. That its worse than being on the social :rolleyes: ... that said people are toe-rags.

Thats a fu*ked up mentality.

I would consider myself to be in the one percent because of the country I live in.. My Vietnamese neighbours have two porches and are the elite of the country. I can afford to live next to them in the nicest place I've ever lived for 12.5 hours work a month and can afford their extravagant lifestyle, if I wanted it, for working an extra 40 hours a month. My love for street food and 20cent glasses of beer keeps me closer to 20 hours a month for food and drink. A pack of cigarettes is 2 minutes work. A glass of beer on the street is 45 seconds work.

Back in Ireland, I'm nowhere near the one percent and that's why it will be hard to go back now. At home, a weeks holidays is saved for and is a big deal. I'm on a long weekend this week, heading on a 6 day motorbike trip next week, a week in Thailand in December and probably a month in Burma starting in February. That sounds like the dreaded guilty life of a one percenter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Your Maw ?

Yes, Maw of the couple 'maw and paw' :P

Advertisement