Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you in the 1%?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

Top 0.41%, love it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I hate that website. It obviously has an agenda (wanting you to give to charity and think of others) which is fine, but it's just silly not to take cost of living into account. In plenty of countries, you can live quite well on next to nothing. I have friends from developing countries whose parents earn something like 8K a year, but they live in big houses and have household staff. 8K a year in Ireland would have you living in poverty. You can get a week's worth of dinners in some countries for the price of a pint in Ireland. Ignoring the difference in cost of living makes the whole thing pointless.

Coming to the ISFC soon. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Helix wrote: »
    Anyone earning €37,780 (not exactly a huge wage by any standards) is in the 1%

F F S
    How many times do we have to repeat this over and over again?

"The 1%" does NOT refer to how much money someone makes, how rich they are, or what their quality of life is.

It refers to the social elite which get special treatment from the government, the cronies whose desires come before absolutely everyone else's and who are protected at everyone else's expense. The people who can phone up ministers and ask for personal favours, the people who can commit fraud on a massive scale and have the government cover it up, the people who can destroy companies, organizations and countries and be quietly protected for their incompetence.

It has absolutely f*ck all to do with wealth.

kthxbai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

This is like the new Southpark episode :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Siuin wrote: »
    My maw used to earn €100,000+ per year ... without a college degree...

Yeah but how much was the pimp taking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Nudey_Nun

Yeah but how much was the pimp taking?

What a rotten thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

F F S

"The 1%" does NOT refer to how much money someone makes, how rich they are, or what their quality of life is.

It refers to the social elite which get special treatment from the government, the cronies whose desires come before absolutely everyone else's and who are protected at everyone else's expense. The people who can phone up ministers and ask for personal favours, the people who can commit fraud on a massive scale and have the government cover it up, the people who can destroy companies, organizations and countries and be quietly protected for their incompetence.

kthxbai

According to the Occupy Wall Street website:
    The movement is inspired by popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia, and aims to expose how the richest 1% of people are writing the rules of an unfair global economy that is foreclosing on our future

So yes it does have something to do with wealth/income. You seem to be the only person that doesn't realise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

F F S

kthxbai

which essentially proves the whole point of the thread. the 1% is the 1% of the 10% who get special treatment from others in the 1% making the other 9% angry, despite the fact that they don't care about the other 90% and have no interest in doing anything to change things for them

F F S

kthxbai

What are you on about? The 99% just post pictures of their handwritten stories which are all about lack of wealth. None of them post about a lack of political influence or friends in government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

which essentially proves the whole point of the thread. the 1% is the 1% of the 10% who get special treatment from others in the 1% making the other 9% angry, despite the fact that they don't care about the other 90% and have no interest in doing anything to change things for them

That's a fact is it ? Where did you come by this "fact" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I am in the top 1percent, my fiance in the top 9percent. do we add or average it out. Also what about the tax we pay?

I reckon we are alot richer than others because we never bought a house.

MungBean wrote: »
    That's a fact is it ? Where did you come by this "fact" ?

yeah, it is. a quick look at the world will tell you that

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Corkboi wrote: »
    Top 0.41%, love it.....

It appears that this thread was created purely so people can swing their big dicks about how much they earn.

I refer to the above poster 'Oh look at me, I earn €€€ per year, aren't I great' :rolleyes:

We don't give a **** about what you earn, you could have just said,'Im in the top 1%' and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

yeah, it is. a quick look at the world will tell you that

Perhaps I've misunderstood again. Forget about this pointless 1% of worlds top incomes.

Lets use the relevant developed world angle.

Are you talking about the majority of people in the developed world dont care for the under developed world ? And this gives them no right to demand equality in their own societies ?

Does this have ANY relevance to the occupy protests ?

fat__tony wrote: »
    It appears that this thread was created purely so people can swing their big dicks about how much they earn.

really, you think thats why i started the thread? do you reckon i send pms around to everyone who has responded like that in advance so that they could get themselves ready for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

I refer to the above poster 'Oh look at me, I earn €€€ per year, aren't I great' :rolleyes:

We don't give a **** about what you earn, you could have just said,'Im in the top 1%' and leave it at that.
    :)Top 0.001%:cool:.. bleedin pov 1%ers, pah....Humbug...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I'm in the 0.01% that no amount of Domestos will get rid of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

In the USA Only 400 people qualify for so filthy rich that they have as much as the lower 50% of the population in the USA. They love to see you quible over who is the bigger dog. 99% should not be taken liter_ate. 37000 who came up with such a low figure? More like 37 Million. See the problem here? No one can calculate right and they count on that. Devide and rule. Percentige of end-itch. Not a dime to scratch. Lucrative scams and plans that hatch. We are all in the same boat, hope it stays afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

Why shouldn't I be proud of what I earn, I work damn hard for it and have made a lot of sacrifices along the way to be where I am today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement