Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick or treat!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we spent about €70 on sweets and its all gone, the kids of arklow are a hungry bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

No knock at the door in 20 mins thank god. We had 114 callers. Halloween is getting very expensive. A quick game of black ops will calm me down:)

is it acceptable to give kids cow and gate first infant formula? we've no sweets left

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I live in a dense residential area and we've only had 2 callers, area might be growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

hondasam wrote: »
    I agree with you tbh, we used to get this a few years ago, especially for the wren on st stephens day.
    parents would drive the kids around, some of them would be from miles away. I would not like to take it out on the kids but the kids I know would get more money.

tis cat here where i live on stephens day the parents bring the kids from up to 15 mile away i dont mind giving to the good ones but some of em are just out for money and cant play doe ray me,
    ive got about 20 callers for trick or treat sur twiill be over soon anyway!!
    no bother:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

lab man wrote: »
    tis cat here where i live on stephens day the parents bring the kids from up to 15 mile away i dont mind giving to the good ones but some of em are just out for money and cant play doe ray me,
    ive got about 20 callers for trick or treat sur twiill be over soon anyway!!
    no bother:)

It's the older ones out for the money that annoy me also. Parents who drive around all day with kids are just pathetic.
    I have had my little nieces only and that was a surprise, little feckers live ten miles away :pac:

anyone stuck a banger up a cats arse yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

anyone stuck a banger up a cats arse yet?

I am reporting you to ISPCC

k4kate wrote: »
    I am reporting you to ISPCC

for what? i merely asked a question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Everyone get a sense of humour by pass today ? I enjoyed his amusing post, the proles obviously feel it cuts a bit close to the bone.

It's incredible.
    They fall for it hook, line and sinker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

for what? i merely asked a question

I meant ISPCA God i should stop posting while i watch tv

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

some young fella (who just stood at the door without saying trick or treat or happy halloween) had a good look through at my bowl filled with sweets and asked me if I had any chewing gum cos he was sick of getting chocolate and nuts.....so i gave him an apple!!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Saila wrote: »
    thank this if you actually like or liked nuts as kids or ever
    http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Tactical+Facepalm_cb4375_213920.jpg
    This isn't YouTube; "Thumbs up if you x!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I really miss being a kid at times like this

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Had first of many callers at half 3,ran out twice....they're getting no more!!

Best one was a 2 (ish) yr old blond angelic looking witch on her own at the door (mother at the kerb) roaring WAAHAA at me as soon as door opened! Im still laughing at her..... I dont get out much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Jess16 wrote: »
    I really miss being a kid at times like this

I dont ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

All prepared with €20 or so's worth of sweets, it started about 6pm and at 7.15pm I sent himself for more sweeties as we were almost out....you guessed it, another few €€€'s spent and the door has been silent since!!

Gotta say the costumes were amazing...especially a little baby pumpkin...seriously cute but, only one group were prepared with a "party piece"!!! Gotta say most of the kids were accompanied by their parents and all in all it was a pleasant experience.

Countdown to 9pm now - lights out followed by a major sugar rush!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

For years I've being buying sweets, and ne'er a soul. This year i didnt bother, and guess what? About six or seven. Couldnt open the door with nothing. Terrible listening to the bell ring and not be able to answer. Course next year I'll be black-listed, will have sweets and no callers.

ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Oh God, my mom is taking this sweets-giving business way too seriously--- in the hall she has a hierarchy of sweets with bags for her friends kids, crisps for the kids she recognises and mini bars for the blow ins :P

jaybee747 wrote: »
    Treats all round in this house,Herself goes mad with the seasons.Has dozens of goody bags made up.
    I did do a trick many years where I covered an egg in chocolate and wrapped it up in a kinder wrapping, handed it out to this little nuisance but i've been guilt ridden ever since.
    Ah the sound of joy in his voice when he shouted " I got a Kinder " to his little mates.
    Tell me that's not true.

• Advertisement

Siuin wrote: »
    Oh God, my mom is taking this sweets-giving business way too seriously--- in the hall she has a hierarchy of sweets with bags for her friends kids, crisps for the kids she recognises and mini bars for the blow ins :P
    mini bars? shure that's the best. so, where you live exactly...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Had 5 so far, I prepared little bags with crisps, 2 mini bars, some jelly sweets and toffees inside - all from Tesco and Lidl.

My mum goes mad on Halloween though. She puts in loads of sweets, crisps, cans of coke and E2 coins in bags.

Do any of ye give them money? I dont...:o

ArtSmart wrote: »
    mini bars? shure that's the best. so, where you live exactly...?

Mini bars available in Cork, but come quick- they're going fast :P

Had 5 so far, I prepared little bags with crisps, 2 mini bars, some jelly sweets and toffees inside - all from Tesco and Lidl.

My mum goes mad on Halloween though. She puts in loads of sweets, crisps, cans of coke and E2 coins in bags.

Do any of ye give them money? I dont...:o

I used to get money back in the day, but wouldn't give it out myself.
    I remember going to one neighbour who was out of sweets, so he gave us dog food instead :S

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I only had a few groups of them, a lot less than last year, I think about 10 kids total. I had little goodie bags made up of crisps, chocolates and lolly pops. I still have loads left. They started coming at about 4pm and the last one came at about half 6. All very young kids, no kids older than 8. What's the oldest kids that came to your house tonight?

When I asked my friend's 10 year old if she was trick or treating, she said it wasn't "cool" anymore and she was too old and worried people would laugh at her. None of her friends were going out. She stayed home watching telly all night. I thought that was a bit sad. Kids are growing up too fast nowdays. I think my friends & I didn't stop trick or treating until we were 13 or 14.

Dont fooking believe it. Went back into the living room, switched the lights back on and two fooking mins later the bell rings. Arggggghhhh. It's mostly yuong kids that call, so i thought itd be finished by 8.

Sweets next year no matter what. Cant stand this hiding!!!
    (and if i go to the shop, it a twenty min event, and way too late then i reckon - unless i start calling to their houses with sweets*?)

* that's a joke btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Innundated with kids calling earlier,the strange thing was that 99% of them aren't from the area,we had cars dropping off kids at the entrances to estates to get as much goodies they could before heading to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Group of lads called tonight that were 13 or 14 years-old! Asked them shouldn't their parents be with them but still gave them a few sweets.

Bought loads of sweets but still ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I had a good variety of kids knocking on my door (and my 28 yr old brother who took all the crunchies), costumes were pretty good too, some of the kids were giving it the whole 'raarrrr, woooooo' spiel. Pretty funny from someone about two and a half foot tall.
    They all got packets o jellies, mini bars and smarties etc. and the foreign kids were once again the most polite. But there is still a heap of jellies and smarties left and I'm naked and wearing a gimp mask.

• Advertisement

Ran out last year and had to dole out my decent chocolate so made sure I was well prepared this year. Got halloween mix bags from the 2euro shop,twixes,lollipops,malteasers,cadbury's mix bag,mars mix bag and pumpkin chocolates. Just a few lollipops left (horrible they are too, had one earlier :(). All the kids were very polite with some great costumes but also some not so great...but then again I used to wear a black bag and a witches hat. I put a pumpkin out last night with a wolf howling at the moon carved into it. Fecking crows were at it when I got up this morning so I only had half a pumpkin left :( Sad times...

No fireworks going on though, must be the recession!

Advertisement