Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Hi folks, thanks very much for the advice on the hostels (I tried to thank the posts but couldn't work out how to). In the end I booked a place called Habitat HQ if anyone's any experience of it? I just figured from the write up's Base seemed to have a bit to much sesh potential for being straight of the boat! Plus at 31 i'm a bit too auld for partying on school nights.

Flying out in the morning so i'll be able to give an opinion on it then if the need arises :) Stressed out nothing packed! There's a wild amount of jitters with this going to Oz on your own craic!

Got a couple of mates to stand as references, tho how reliable that'l be I don't know! Might mention playing cards, did travel all over doing it, but i'll see if I can get a feel for the reception first.

Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Hey Elliot!

I know a good few people who stayed in Habitat and they were all happy with it!! Located 10min walk to the heart of St.Kilda and straight road (with trams every few min) into the city.

Don't be stressed - it's an adventure & you'll have a ball! Safe flight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Mentioning playing poker for a living is beyond retarded, can't stress this enough. The fact that you think it isnt makes me think it was a 5 year long heater and you havent really thought about it.

Cheers Cupcake! Not long to go now :)

Hmm TAO, well I did ask for opinions so thanks! But honestly jumping to such a radical conclusion based on such limited information would make me think you've been on a pretty damn long cooler!

Its partially my fault, it was a stupid question without background.

I'm under no illusion that its going to be very competitive out there. I'd take admin or whatever to get started, but ideally I want a sales job in solar with a big OTE.

I don't think having played 4 figure (cash and tournament's) across UK and Ireland, Vegas, Berlin, Latvia, Marrakesh, Singapore etc will do serious damage to this ambition.

Obv I have a couple of years direct sales experience and an Msc in sustainable technologies as well.

Anyway completely of topic! It was obviously a totally subjective question generated more by the stress of the move than any burning desire for enlightenment.

Good luck folks! :)

**Ugh far to tetchy! Your probably right anyway, need to re-orientate to more chilled out!

Lifelong cooler, but thats not my point. You can realistically think that any normal (non-poker degen) person will see you playing cards for 5 years as a good thing?

Getting work on a WHV is as much about proving you are reliable and honest, and will complete the contract given as it is about having the skills...

Playing poker for 5 years leads any normal person to believe you are neither of the above. Whether or not you can explain standard deviation, variance and the probabilities or not. AND even if you can explain it, people are by and large completely irrational so they probably wouldnt believe you anyway.

Make up some references.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

elliott550 wrote: »
    Cheers Cupcake! Not long to go now :)

Hmm TAO, well I did ask for opinions so thanks! But honestly jumping to such a radical conclusion based on such limited information would make me think you've been on a pretty damn long cooler!

Its partially my fault, it was a stupid question without background.

I'm under no illusion that its going to be very competitive out there. I'd take admin or whatever to get started, but ideally I want a sales job in solar with a big OTE.

I don't think having played 4 figure (cash and tournament's) across UK and Ireland, Vegas, Berlin, Latvia, Marrakesh, Singapore etc will do serious damage to this ambition.

Obv I have a couple of years direct sales experience and an Msc in sustainable technologies as well.

Anyway completely of topic! It was obviously a totally subjective question generated more by the stress of the move than any burning desire for enlightenment.

Good luck folks! :)

**Ugh far to tetchy! Your probably right anyway, need to re-orientate to more chilled out!

You strike me as the person who will either crash and burn in 3 weeks heading home with his tails between his legs or someone who lands on their feet and makes a million in 5 years....:)
    Either way good luck.

Jank I like those odd's ;)

Ahh TAO there's an absolute bucket load of irony in your last post, but i'm sensing that's not news to you! And that's not to say many of you points aren't valid.

As i'm sure you know, to win at cards long haul, requires intense reliability and stability. Plus the vast majority of professional poker players I know are extremely honest. They have to be, its a relatively small circle.

But is that relevant? Possibly not. I believe there's a lot of transferable skill's between card's and sales. The question is whether it's possible to transfer that belief past any pre-conceived notions an interviewer may have.

And if it's even worth trying. It's all situation specific imo. If it finds its way into a conversation naturally it'l be something I talk with confidence on. No way would there just be a 5 year entry as - Poker Player -

I don't buy this concept of 'normal' people tho. Too many 'normal' people. Too many desperately trying to be be normal. Don't see too many recruitment ad banner's saying 'normal people wanted for 6 figure sales role'.

Heads scattered. This whole going to Australia has essentially been on a whim anyway, didn't want to miss my chance at a visa. Heard to many good things. Beauty of it is, it's a big country, adapt the pitch in progress.

It doesnt really matter what you believe or can speak confidently on... what matters is how people perceive someone who has 'played cards' for 5 years. You may have been super profitable, a ROI to brag about and you could be completely honest and have integrity in all your dealings... but in an interview situation, you wont be able to get that across clearly by saying you played cards for a living. You're missing the point anyway and its astounding.

The reaction you will get and Im sure you've gotten it before will be 'But how much did you lose' and if they dont ask it, they will think it or wonder if you were doing that for 5 years why are you applying for a temp/contract/any office/sales role in Australia.

Why dont you do it actualy, Crown has plenty of soft games?

Simply put: Saying you played cards or a living for 5 years will do much much more harm than good for you're job prospects regardless of the (admittedly) transferable skills and attributes.

Mate I essentially agree with you if i'm being honest. I just launched onto the defensive due to the tone and it being mildly diverting from the ever expanding elephant in the room, that being the flight in a few hours. Not a big plane fan.

Tbh the last thing I really want to do is to fly to OZ and start talking about poker lol. There's a reason I hardly play anymore, its essentially incredibly boring and a head melt.

I'm going over there to chill out first and foremost. I might mention the travel and how it was sponsored, but tbh I dunno.

*I still think there's plenty of valid reasons and situations why you 'could' mention it - but for me personally it's not what i'm all about.

Ill be in Melbourne when you get here so drop me a PM and we'll head into the Crown for a tournament or cash game. Melbournes a sweet city so I wouldnt be worrying at all

• Advertisement

Cheers, will do i'd really enjoy that. Right seriously got to pull the finger out now!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

well just back from pub with mates, Melbourne here i come in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

well just back from pub with mates, Melbourne here i come in the morning!

Safe journey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Balobas87

Hi Guys,

I found this forum about 2 weeks ago and its been so helpful for everything, so I decided to bite the bullet and book Oz for March. Ages away yet I know, needed the time to get some pennies together... CANNNNOT WAIT :) heading over on my own and looking like I may hit Sydney first and Perth to settle thereafter. I work in Human Resources, so was hoping I will get a temp contract once settled, who knows I probably wont but I'll work at nearly anything.

Eeeeeeeeeekkkkkk. ps my irish skin is going to fry :L!If anyone here is planning a trip over to Oz in March, 1st stop Sydney i'd love to hear about it :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Balobas87 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I found this forum about 2 weeks ago and its been so helpful for everything, so I decided to bite the bullet and book Oz for March. Ages away yet I know, needed the time to get some pennies together... CANNNNOT WAIT :) heading over on my own and looking like I may hit Sydney first and Perth to settle thereafter. I work in Human Resources, so was hoping I will get a temp contract once settled, who knows I probably wont but I'll work at nearly anything.

Eeeeeeeeeekkkkkk. ps my irish skin is going to fry :L!If anyone here is planning a trip over to Oz in March, 1st stop Sydney i'd love to hear about it :D!

Im also heading in March,i have no set plan just of yet but im going to book the flights before the end of the month,maybe Sydney like yourself.

I trying to save at the mo,easier said than done but ill get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Caoimhin Ho

Just booked my own flights this week, flying into Sydney on November 15.

As Im travelling with my girlfriend, would staying in a hotel for a few nights at first be the best option to get some proper sleep and get acclimatised?

Just looking at jobs and accomodation now. Is there any areas that should be avoided for reasons of ill-repute or lack of convenience for public transport routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 13th Floor Elevator

I'm also heading over alone in early March but haven't booked my flight yet as I'm unsure as to what city to land in. I was thinking Perth as I've heard it's slighty easier to find a job there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

I'm also heading over alone in early March but haven't booked my flight yet as I'm unsure as to what city to land in. I was thinking Perth as I've heard it's slighty easier to find a job there.

Can i ask what age you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 13th Floor Elevator

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    Can i ask what age you are?

28. Pulling the finger out now before I hit 30 & lose the option of the WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

As Im travelling with my girlfriend, would staying in a hotel for a few nights at first be the best option to get some proper sleep and get acclimatised?

Just looking at jobs and accomodation now. Is there any areas that should be avoided for reasons of ill-repute or lack of convenience for public transport routes?

I think a private double room in a good hostel would also do the trick.

Avoid King's Cross!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Caoimhin Ho

Cupcake. wrote: »
    I think a private double room in a good hostel would also do the trick.

Avoid King's Cross!

Thanks a million Cupcake, much appreciated.

Jesus, your username carries pervy connotations!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

You should check out space hotel. Its a small boutique hotel, very reasonable prices.. looks nice

http://www.spacehotel.com.au/

The 'Ritz for back packers' also looks good. Myself and the GF are probably gonna pick one of these two when we head over in November. In terms of hostels to avoid, base backpackers in St Kilda is recommended by some people buts its a 24/7 party hostel so if thats not your scene maybe avoid that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Would agree with space, the ajoining bar also has some great deals. Half price mondays, pizzas for 4.50 etc. Really nice food and really cheap. Cider Sundays too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

On route to Oz at the moment. I'm just staying in Singapore now for 2 nights then onto Cairns - ahh it's actually here - hopefully I get chatting to people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

GiftofGab wrote: »
    On route to Oz at the moment. I'm just staying in Singapore now for 2 nights then onto Cairns - ahh it's actually here - hopefully I get chatting to people

What's Singapore like? Glad you stopped over? Am thinking of heading there en route also!

Newsite wrote: »
    What's Singapore like? Glad you stopped over? Am thinking of heading there en route also!

I've only been here a few hours but I'm very impressed. Extremely clean city, nice bars and it's very easy to get around. It appears very safe and the people are friendly

Anybody in cairns that would like to meet up witha solotraveller arriving on Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jbyrne88

me and my girlfriend flying to Sydney direct with Ethiad on November 8th...starting to get nervous but very excited! she is just graduated as an intellectual disability nurse and has work as soon as she lands with an agency. I'm an accounting and finance graduate but only have 3months accounts experience so hopefully I can get any type of accounts or admin type job but to be honest, I will take whatever job I get! Fun times ahead! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Newsite wrote: »

I really liked Singapore myself,although the heat/humidity was something unreal i really enjoyed it,3 nights,went to Little India and Chinatown.
    Used the public transport and found it amazing,so efficient,taxis cheap,food is best to shop around,cheaper to eat out than in,Hakka stalls? were the best experience,was just before the Grand Prix so alot of organising was going on,i also got my first tourist bus ride ever and it was fun,great vibe in the place,especially at night,and all those performance cars,Mmmmmmm...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Alright guys just looking for a bit of advice here! Me and the GF are arriving in St Kilda on the 3rd of November.. We've booked a hostel in for 8 nights and by the end of that stay we're hoping to have work and an apartment sorted. Its going to be a pretty frantic first week i reckon! Just wondering is there anyone else who was in a similar situation? Are we giving ourselves too little time to find a permanent place to stay?

Advertisement