Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz!

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Hey Guys,

Just got into Sydney on Thursday and had a chilled out weekend but unfortunately the fun part of finding a place and getting a job are upon us after over 2 months travelling :(

Sorry if this has been asked numerous times but is there any area people would recommend living. Currently staying with friends up in Rose Bay which is fab but not sure if we can afford it rent wise so any help would be appreciated. Someone mentioned that not having a job yet would also limit you to getting your own place to rent so would sharing be our best option (there are 2 of us (1m/1f not a couple so would be looking at 2 rooms))

I dont have work yet which is my other question regarding agencies and possible companies for IT work. I have 5 years experience in IT 1st/2nd line support in a support center while my friend is in the sys admin/database side of things. I've been looking around and see a couple (beaumont consultants and seek) but not even sure where to begin so any advice would be class...

sorry again if this is something that has been asked over and over again!
    Karen

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

Finished in work- 1 more week to go! So excited!!! Just finding packing a chore now. Didn't realise I had so much stuff. Don't know what to bring and what to leave behind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Finished work, three weeks to pack.....starting to get excited!

Packing practically complete, don't think I'd ever say I would actually be finished and confident that I had everything! Will be in the airport in approx 12 hours - it's starting to feel real!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Gossipgal wrote: »
    Packing practically complete, don't think I'd ever say I would actually be finished and confident that I had everything! Will be in the airport in approx 12 hours - it's starting to feel real!

Make sure ya wear comfy clothes it's a long ass flight! Which route ye taking to oz?

• Advertisement

I know, specifically bought a new cosy hoodie! Flying Dub - Abu Dhabi (stopover 3 hours) then Melbourne so it's a pretty direct flight. Have accepted that I will not be in a fit state to converse with people after so have booked myself a private room for 2 nights in a hostel and dorm room after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

In Oz month now and it is unreal. Travelled down from Cairns to Brisbane so far. I've another month to go before I get to Melboure. Life out here is so good. Some of the islands are the pinnacle of paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

GiftofGab, how long did it take you to do Cairns to Brisbane? In Melbourne at the moment and planning on doing the opposite to you and doing the travelling on the way home!

Reckon you'll like Melbourne, everyone I talk to seems to. Coming into Summer now so there should be loads going on. Some good day and short break trips you can do from Melbourne too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Mr Mister wrote: »
    GiftofGab, how long did it take you to do Cairns to Brisbane? In Melbourne at the moment and planning on doing the opposite to you and doing the travelling on the way home!

Reckon you'll like Melbourne, everyone I talk to seems to. Coming into Summer now so there should be loads going on. Some good day and short break trips you can do from Melbourne too.

I did four weeks for Cairns to Byron Bay, it can certainly be done more quickly but it's really good fun so take your time if you can!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hi I was just wondering how people on WHV's have gone about getting a place to stay. I've been doing some research and was wondering do most places look for references from previous landlords? I would have stayed in a fair few house shares here in Ireland but never even thought of asking for a reference and to be honest I've lost most of the landlords details as soon as I got my deposit back.

I'm thinking of going to Perth or Melbourne and would be travelling by myself on a WHV.

Also did many people buy a car when they were over there? I've been reading, in Perth anyway, it seems a bit of a necessity.

Edit: Also did many/any engineers manage to secure work in engineering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

4 more days of work an thats me! leave for oz next wednesday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering how people on WHV's have gone about getting a place to stay. I've been doing some research and was wondering do most places look for references from previous landlords? I would have stayed in a fair few house shares here in Ireland but never even thought of asking for a reference and to be honest I've lost most of the landlords details as soon as I got my deposit back.

I'm thinking of going to Perth or Melbourne and would be travelling by myself on a WHV.

Also did many people buy a car when they were over there? I've been reading, in Perth anyway, it seems a bit of a necessity.

Edit: Also did many/any engineers manage to secure work in engineering?

Bump!

Mainly about the references for renting and info on a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Bump!

Mainly about the references for renting and info on a car.
    I don't for WHV but I'm on a 457 and a reference from my last landlord did help a lot, the letting agent said we'd been the only ones to supply one and she referred us first to the property owner. Get one if you can. I don't think they checked it.

Cool thanks.

Advertisement