Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Another mention of Richard Kelly and Whitestown is from Porter's 1912 guide to North Co Dublin in his directory of Rush.

Porters 1912

The Postmistress, Mrs Weldon must be the fiercesome Mrs Weldon mentioned by Niall Wedon in his first book. LeoB can you connent the directory of people to locations today?

Yes I can or am just assuming for example....
    Hartford and McDonald, General Drapers and Hardware.
    This would be Harfords on Main St where Ocean Inn is. I delivered post there. It is closed about 20 yrs now

Armstrong, Michael, Wine and Spirit Merchant, The Square
    This is now the Carlyan pub. Many a good night I had there trying to get a bottle of beer of Margie, Malachy or Mike Joe

Derham, Mrs. Margaret, Vintner
    Now the Strand bar, Shermans on Main St. I remember older people calling it Derhams years ago. It then became St Lawrences & Mortons I think

Langan, David, Shoeing and General Smith
    Langan, Thomas, Blacksmith
    Langan Bros., Blacksmiths

I remember Langans forge on Lr. Main St where The Forge apartments are now. After Langans Paddy Dempsey had a steele business from there. 2 doors down from the previously mentioned Attracta Foley and Just up the road from The Harbour Bar owned at that time by Philip Follenus.
    There was a ballroom on the Channel Rd back then owned by Langans (I think) The Blue Lagoon It would have been where the second house on Right hand side as you come up the channel Rd from Rogerstown
    is now.

Echlin, Matthew, Builder, Contractor, Carpenter, Painter, Decorator, and Undertaker, Main Street
    Echlin court stands where these people lived. I remember the house as a ruins. It was pulled down around 1982/3 to make way for Echlin Court.

Some of the names I never heard of here while others are still quite strong, Gough, Grimley, Jones, Kane Kelly.

I remember Mrs Grimley living 2 doors down from Harbour Bar, Remember the house the car crashed into last year? She lived there.

There are older Rush names not mentioned, Beashel, Bollards, Bissett, Butterly, Coleman, Fitzgerald, Lynch, but these while self employed might not have had registered business'

Anyone remember Mrs Keavey in her caravan up the Sandy Rd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

martinn123 wrote: »
    Porters 1912.

M
    McManus, John, Clerk
    McSweeney, Rev. M., C.C.
    Martin, J., Stationmaster, Rush and Lusk Station
    Martin, James, Family Grocer, Draper, Hardware and General Merchant

Above is my great-grandfather, I traced his entry in the 1911 census to a house in Rogerstown. later transferred to Cavan Railway Station.
    Our family was then absent from Rush until 1961 when we moved into The Old Rectory, mentioned above, on the Skerries Rd. Were tenants of the Palmers, and visited Kenure House, regurarly.

Kept up the association with Rush, by marrying the niece of Attracta Foley, mentioned by LeoB, despite this still reminded I am not a native of Rush.:D

Very interesting to know, I count myself as a blow in , need another 200 years to qualify as a local. :D Today most of us see the railway bridge or the road to the Dump as the boundary between Rush and Lusk but a hundred years ago Lusk ended at Whitestown.

Say in 1912 they had more trains than 1848.

Thoms Directory 1848
    At the railway station, the sixth from Dublin, and which is common to Rush and Lusk, the trains from Dublin to Drogheda stop at 23 min. past 8 and 39 min. past 11, a.m., 9 min. past 4, and 53 min. past. 5, P.m. The up-trains to Dublin stop at 55 min. past 8, and 48 min. past 11, A.M., and 48 min. past 5, and 55 min. past 8, p.m.

LeoB wrote: »
    Yes I can or am just assuming for example....
    Hartford and McDonald, General Drapers and Hardware.
    This would be Harfords on Main St where Ocean Inn is. I delivered post there. It is closed about 20 yrs now

Armstrong, Michael, Wine and Spirit Merchant, The Square
    This is now the Carlyan pub. Many a good night I had there trying to get a bottle of beer of Margie, Malachy or Mike Joe

Derham, Mrs. Margaret, Vintner
    Now the Strand bar, Shermans on Main St. I remember older people calling it Derhams years ago. It then became St Lawrences & Mortons I think

Langan, David, Shoeing and General Smith
    Langan, Thomas, Blacksmith
    Langan Bros., Blacksmiths
    I remember Langans forge on Lr. Main St where The Forge apartments are now. After Langans Paddy Dempsey had a steele business from there. 2 doors down from the previously mentioned Attracta Foley and Just up the road from The Harbour Bar owned at that time by Philip Follenus.
    There was a ballroom on the Channel Rd back then owned by Langans (I think) The Blue Lagoon It would have been where the second house on Right hand side as you come up the channel Rd from Rogerstown
    is now.

Echlin, Matthew, Builder, Contractor, Carpenter, Painter, Decorator, and Undertaker, Main Street
    Echlin court stands where these people lived. I remember the house as a ruins. It was pulled down around 1982/3 to make way for Echlin Court.

Some of the names I never heard of here while others are still quite strong, Gough, Grimley, Jones, Kane Kelly.

I remember Mrs Grimley living 2 doors down from Harbour Bar, Remember the house the car crashed into last year? She lived there.

There are older Rush names not mentioned, Beashel, Bollards, Bissett, Butterly, Coleman, Fitzgerald, Lynch, but these while self employed might not have had registered business'

Anyone remember Mrs Keavey in her caravan up the Sandy Rd?

Very good LeoB, where was Mrs Weldon the PostMistress?

Very good LeoB, where was Mrs Weldon the PostMistress?

Jeasus not in my time:)
    Possibly where hacketts is now
    I think the post office was where Hacketts is now. That was formerly Mackey's Butcher shop. Remember Paddy Mackey? A big man who stood at the house door most days who had a great interest in Greyhounds. His sister the famous Mary Jo was the postmistress when i started with P & T in 1980. She had a tongue like a chiled but was a decent woman in her own way. Her brother Jem worked in the post office also. Another Brother Kit was a charachter. He was a shoe maker among other things. A staunch republican who I heard once was chased by the Black and Tans accross the North beach but he got away from them in Hilly Skilly's

Lamb, John, Mason
    Wonder if this person is related to Katie Lamb who lived up Doctors Lane? She wore black all her life and her teeth used to chatter, even in the summer.

Wonder if there is any record of Margaret Burke Sheridan singing in Rush or around Fingal. I heard she sang when they were raising funds for the Girls school, now the community centre. I think she was the first Irish person to sing in La Scala Opera house in Milan

I think the post office was where Hacketts is now. That was formerly Mackey's Butcher shop. Remember Paddy Mackey? A big man who stood at the house door most days who had a great interest in Greyhounds. His sister the famous Mary Jo was the postmistress when i started with P & T in 1980. She had a tongue like a chiled but was a decent woman in her own way. Her brother Jem worked in the post office also. Another Brother Kit was a charachter. He was a shoe maker among other things. A staunch republican who I heard once was chased by the Black and Tans accross the North beach but he got away from them in Hilly Skilly's

Lamb, John, Mason
    Wonder if this person is related to Katie Lamb who lived up Doctors Lane? She wore black all her life and her teeth used to chatter, even in the summer.

Wonder if there is any record of Margaret Burke Sheridan singing in Rush or around Fingal. I heard she sang when they were raising funds for the Girls school, now the community centre. I think she was the first Irish person to sing in La Scala Opera house in Milan

I think we covered the Margaret Burke Sheridan before Leo, your starting to ramble now!! :D

I believe if you read Niall Weldon Book, the incident about the border crossing during WW2 with an unnamed Local councillor to see greyhounds in Belfast that turned into a smuggling run might ring some bells with what you said above about a certain person. Nice to read we kept the Rush smuggling traditions going well into the 1940s!!

The Post Office I believe was at the top of Post Office Lane(Convent Lane before the Convent) on the Square side of the lane.

• Advertisement

I think we covered the Margaret Burke Sheridan before Leo, your starting to ramble now!! :D

I believe if you read Niall Weldon Book, the incident about the border crossing during WW2 with an unnamed Local councillor to see greyhounds in Belfast that turned into a smuggling run might ring some bells with what you said above about a certain person. Nice to read we kept the Rush smuggling traditions going well into the 1940s!!

The Post Office I believe was at the top of Post Office Lane(Convent Lane before the Convent) on the Square side of the lane.

I am enjoying this thread so much rambling would be putting it mildly.....

The location of the post office would have been around the Technical school was?
    Would that have been a F.F cllr? With a musical sister. Think I know who your talking about.
    The smuggling went on well after the 40s. I actually didnt read that book on Niall Weldon, "Sand in my shoes"?

On Mrs Keavey on the Sandy Rd.
    We believed as children she was some sort of "wicth" There was a wheel on the end of her caravan and we believed if this wheel was turned her bed turned upside down and she fell out. So one morning Young Mr LeoB and his best pal decided to get her up early and I drew the short straw. Over the road I go and try to turn the wheel it had moved just a little when a hand landed on my shoulder and declared "Im Up"! Well I nearly s**t myself with fright. Id say Mrs Keavey is still grinning. The caravan was opposite where Rush Credit union is now.

Very interesting to know, I count myself as a blow in , need another 200 years to qualify as a local. :D Today most of us see the railway bridge or the road to the Dump as the boundary between Rush and Lusk but a hundred years ago Lusk ended at Whitestown.

Say in 1912 they had more trains than 1848.

Thoms Directory 1848

Up to fairly recently maybe 2007 or 2002 some of the Channel Rd in Rush voted in Lusk. I think the cut off may have been Knockers Hill which is the lane along the side of the Graveyard as it was from that point which the people voted in Rush anything below that voted in Lusk but only on the right hand side as you went down the Channel Rd.

Whitestown House still gets its request for Easter dues from St. Macullens church in Lusk

World War 1

Quite a few famalies in NCD served for King & Country during WW1 or were killed at sea by the enemy when working in the Merchant Navy or fishing off the Irish coastline.

The below site is quite good do not all NCD soldiers killed are listed. As the site says its work in progress. Dead from the Naul, Skerries, Balbriggan, Donabate, Swords, Rolestown, Howth, Malahide and Lusk listed at present.

Dublin Casualities of WW1

Rush Dead- click on name for more info

Nicholas Beashel
    John Condron
    Michael Farren
    Thomas Hughes
    Thomas Kane
    Patrick Leonard
    Christoper McCann
    John McCann
    Bernard Smart

World War 1

Quite a few famalies in NCD served for King & Country during WW1 or were killed at sea by the enemy when working in the Merchant Navy or fishing off the Irish coastline.

The below site is quite good do not all NCD soldiers killed are listed. As the site says its work in progress. Dead from the Naul, Skerries, Balbriggan, Donabate, Swords, Rolestown, Howth, Malahide and Lusk listed at present.

Dublin Casualities of WW1

Rush Dead- click on name for more info

Nicholas Beashel
    John Condron
    Michael Farren
    Thomas Hughes
    Thomas Kane
    Patrick Leonard
    Christoper McCann
    John McCann
    Bernard Smart

Thats great to see. I imagine there are quite a few houses with medals in drawers or certificates stashed away from WWW.1

Beashel is a name not so common around here now but a lot of people on here will remember Richard Beashel who drove the 33 bus for many years and who passed away suddenly a few yers ago. I remember Charlie and Alice Beashel from the Brook off the main st. They lived to be very big ages, in their 90s when passed away about 25-30years ago which would have made them approx 15-20 at the time of his death so they possibly would have known him but it does not give his age or details of parents

Farren, Leonard and McCann are still very common names around the town with one of them married to a Cosgrove who live on Lr. Main St but used to have a shop around the Bawn Road. Farrens still live down the Sandy Hills. The only name I am not familiar with from around here is Smart

The name Condron people will remember more recently from Hayestown and a popular man called Mickey Condron

Local man David Snook has done some great research in ww1 and casulties from Rush. He put on a exhibition a number of years ago and I would say this will be put again.

Came across this interesting guide A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF IRELAND by Samual Lewis 1837. It covers the same info as previous guides but adds more detail. Also for anyone interested it covers Skerries, Balbriggan, Swords, Naul, Garristown, Baldungan, Howth and Lusk

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF IRELAND
    RUSH, a small sea-port and fishing town, in the parish of LUSK, barony of BALROTHERY, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. E.) from Swords, and 13 ½ (N. by E.) from Dublin; containing 2144 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the eastern coast, contains 442 houses, chiefly inhabited by fishermen; and has, since the 16th century, been celebrated for the great quantities of ling which are taken and cured by the inhabitants. Previously to the discontinuance of the fishing bounties, 22 boats were employed in this fishery, which number has since been reduced to 16 of about 40 tons each, carrying seven or eight men. The harbour is difficult of access, and consequently adapted only for small vessels. The channel has from seven to eight feet depth at low water, and is much exposed to a heavy swell during the prevalence of winds from the north-east. A small pier has been erected on a ledge of rock extending into the sea, and covered on the north side by a reef of rocks, which affords good accommodation to the vessels employed in the fishery.
    The sands are celebrated for early potatoes, which are produced here in abundance. On the south side of the bay, and to the east of the pier, are beds of fine compact limestone and black slate clay and conglomerate limestone alternating. A coast-guard station has been established here, forming one of the nine which constitute the district of Swords; a constabulary police force is stationed in the town, and there is a martello tower on the beach.
    A patent exists for fairs on May 1st and Sept. 29th, but they are not held. The parish church is three miles distant, and therefore, for the accommodation of the town, divine service is performed once every Sunday in the parochial schoolroom, a large and commodious building, in which are a lending library and a depository of bibles: In the R. C. divisions the town forms the head of a union or district, including also Lambay island and part of the adjoining districts: there are chapels at Rush and on Lambay island; the former was built about 70 years since, and a tower, embattled and surmounted with a cross, was added to it in 1833, by subscription; the interior is well fitted up and has a carved altar-piece brought from France.
    Adjoining it is the residence of the parish priest, built in 1823 by subscription, to which the late Mrs. Palmer, of Rush House, largely contributed and also gave an acre and a half of land for a site. A dispensary in the town is supported in the usual manner.
    About half a mile from the town is Rush House, now called Kenure Park, formerly the residence of the great Duke of Ormonde, and subsequently of Sir Henry Echlin, Bart., from whom it was purchased by an ancestor of Sir W. H. Palmer, Bart., its present proprietor. The mansion is spacious and handsome, and contains many good apartments, a collection of valuable paintings by the first masters, and a selection of vases and other relics from the remains of Pompeii, collected by the late Mr. Palmer when in Italy.
    The demesne is richly embellished with stately timber, and commands some interesting views, embracing the town of Rush, Lambay island, and a great expanse of sea; and within the grounds are the picturesque ruins of Kenure church, in which is a large tomb inscribed to the memory of George, fourth Baron of Strabane, who died in 1668. Near these ruins are the remains of an ancient castle, a holy well dedicated to St. Catherine, and part of an ancient cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Up to fairly recently maybe 2007 or 2002 some of the Channel Rd in Rush voted in Lusk. I think the cut off may have been Knockers Hill which is the lane along the side of the Graveyard as it was from that point which the people voted in Rush anything below that voted in Lusk but only on the right hand side as you went down the Channel Rd.

Whitestown House still gets its request for Easter dues from St. Macullens church in Lusk

Spout Road still get Lusk voting cards. Except for one member of my parents household who get Rush ones...as well!

Thats great to see. I imagine there are quite a few houses with medals in drawers or certificates stashed away from WWW.1

Beashel is a name not so common around here now but a lot of people on here will remember Richard Beashel who drove the 33 bus for many years and who passed away suddenly a few yers ago. I remember Charlie and Alice Beashel from the Brook off the main st. They lived to be very big ages, in their 90s when passed away about 25-30years ago which would have made them approx 15-20 at the time of his death so they possibly would have known him but it does not give his age or details of parents

Farren, Leonard and McCann are still very common names around the town with one of them married to a Cosgrove who live on Lr. Main St but used to have a shop around the Bawn Road. Farrens still live down the Sandy Hills. The only name I am not familiar with from around here is Smart

The name Condron people will remember more recently from Hayestown and a popular man called Mickey Condron

Local man David Snook has done some great research in ww1 and casulties from Rush. He put on a exhibition a number of years ago and I would say this will be put again.

Smart is listed on 1901 Census as living in Rural Rush, he would have been 31 when he was killed in Gallipoli. The family are not recorded on the 1911 census but it is one of the older Rush names that seem to have died out.

John Condron was the uncle of Micky, 1911 Census and was 21 when killed in Gallipoli.

Nicholas Beashel seems not to be on the 1901 or 1911 Census but enlisted in South Wales. Many Irish worked in the coal industry in Wales.

Working on the theory that most business owners lived above or at their premises if you cross-reference 1911 census with Porters list of 1912 and if anyone can find the home map used by the 1911 enumicators you should be able identify the locations in present day Rush.

Part 1
    A
    Andrews Brothers, Family Victuallers, Main Street
    Archbold, John, Draper listed as carpenter on 1901 and 1911 census 1911
    Armstrong, Michael, Wine and Spirit Merchant, The Square The Carlyan, 1911

B
    Baring, The Hon. C., Lambay Castle, Lambay Island not on census
    Brunskill, Rev. N.R., Kenmure Church 1911

C
    Crely, Robert M., Shipowner and General Merchant
    Not listed on 1901 or 1911 Census

D
    Derham, Mrs. Margaret, Vintner- going to disagree with LeoB and say this is now the Michael Collins. Derhams were very FF so they must be spinning in their graves.:D They originally moved from Balbriggan so in 1911 still lived there. 1911

E
    Echlin, Matthew, Builder, Contractor, Carpenter, Painter, Decorator, and Undertaker, Main Street As LeoB said, now Echlin Court 1911

F
    Fahie, Charles J., Physician and Surgeon, Medical Officer, Local Dispensary
    Lived in Lusk 1911
    Flynn, J.J., General Draper 1911
    Follanus, Philip, Grocer Mother listed as merchant on 1901 census 1911
    Fynes, Edward, Saddler 1911

Derhams maybe something to do with Deham Park? There is also Gibbons and Lawless Tce in Balbriggan and Harry Reynolds Rd

Rush really only has Echlin Court and Woodland Ct named after families and estates with field names Coopersfield, Brookfield and Linn Beag.

Woodland Ct is on Lr. Main St and Woodlands owned the ground it was built on. Echlin Family were mentioned above.

Dempseys Corner at Junction of Sandy Rd and Upper Main St is a name used by very few now.

Post 2

G
    Gailey, J., Blacklands not listed on 1911 census, house located between Loughshinny and Featherbed Lane.
    Gough, Thomas, Builder and Contractor and General Undertaker 1911
    Grimley, Stephen, Wine and Spirit Merchant, Main Street Harbour Bar 1911

HHartford, Mrs. B., Farmer 1911

Hartford and McDonald, General Drapers and Hardware 1911
    Hennessey, Miss, Lady Superintendent of The Cottage Hospital

J
    Jones, John, General Boots and Hardware 1911

K
    Kane, Michael, pensioner Only M Kanewas RIC 1911
    Kelly, Patrick, Grocer and Vintner, Main Street same family as Whitestown Kelly The Drop Inn 1911
    Kelly, Richard, Whitestown House Beside old mill 1911
    King, Mrs. Mary, Grocer and Vintner, Millview House The Mill Pub ? Profession not listed 1911

L
    Lamb, John, Mason 1911
    Langan, David, Shoeing and General Smith 1911
    Langan, Thomas, Blacksmith 1911
    Langan Bros., Blacksmiths 1911
    Lee-Norman, A.H., Estate Agent for Lady Palmer, Rush House Listed on 1911 census as resident of guesthouse in Kildare St

M
    McManus, John, Clerk 1911
    McSweeney, Rev. M., C.C. 1911
    Martin, J., Stationmaster, Rush and Lusk Station 1911
    Martin, James, Family Grocer, Draper, Hardware and General Merchant Martins Shop near National School 1911

Came across this in the History Forum. David Snook website, searchable database of 23,000 merchant navy ID cards from 1918-1921. The examples of photographs are very high quality, I found one of my own sea going relatives among the database. The advice given at the time was never work on an oil tanker if you could help it and always try to sign on to a Quaker owned ship.

http://www.irishmariners.ie/index.php

Example of the high Level of Detail
    Beashel, Michael (Seaman) RS2 No.325087.
    Born: 1898-08-15, Rush, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Disch A No: 865573 Photo: f5
    Next of Kin: Kate Beashel(m), Rush, (Co Dublin)
    Extra info: son of Thomas & Kate Knight. 1911, Rush Tn 111 home, (opp AIB banksite). + SS Yorktown, Atlantic convoy RB1 26/09/1942.
    Voyages:
    1918-11-05 Grampian ON 124220 of Glasgow (Allan Line)
    1918-12-13 Heathside (1918) ON 124124 of Newcastle (Care & Marquand)
    1919-04-12 Katharine Park ON 115780 of Glasgow (Thompson, Stanley & John)
    1919-09-25 Tintoretto ON 115309 of Liverpool (Lamport & Holt)
    1920-08-01 Moliere ON 137510 of Liverpool (Lamport & Holt)
    1920-10-01 Swinburne ON 140534 of Liverpool (Lamport & Holt)
    1921-09-01 Wingate ON 135899 of W. Hartlepool (Furness, Withy & Co)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

John Lambe {mason] Was my Grandfather. but i do not know his wife Elisabeths maiden name. Would love to know a lot more about where they came from or were they Rush originals.

opawaman wrote: »
    John Lambe {mason] Was my Grandfather. but i do not know his wife Elisabeths maiden name. Would love to know a lot more about where they came from or were they Rush originals.

Lambe or Lamb is an old Rush name. The "E" seems to come and go over the generations. The Griffith Valuation from circa 1848 lists 8 entries for the surname of Lamb in the Parish of Lusk, Rush was still part of the Lusk parish at that time.

Link for Griffith Valuation Lamb Records

Two members of your family are listed on David Snook excellent IrishMariners.ie site.

Irishmariners.ie
    Lamb, Christopher (Fireman & Trimmer) RS2 No.365322.
    Born: 1888-05-25, Rush, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Photo: f4-5
    Next of Kin: Lizzie Lamb (m) Rush, (Co Dublin)
    Extra info: or Lambe. Son of John & Elizabeth. 1901 Rush Rural 50 home. Bro Michael 456315.
    Voyages:
    1918-12-09 1 ON 140308
    1919-03-04 Rutland ON 102110 of Liverpool (Currie, Jas & Co)
    1919-05-25 Rio Pardo/City of Alexandria (1920) ON 143068 (Ellerman Lines)
    1919-11-22 Fernandina ON 127430 of W. Hartlepool (Furness, Withy & Co)
    1920-04-01 Indore ON 109447 of Liverpool (Elder Dempster)

Lamb, Michael (Sailor) RS2 No.456315.
    Born: 1897-04-18, Rush, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Photo: f5
    Extra info: or Lambe. Son of John & Elizabeth. 1901 Rush Rural 50 home. 1911, Rush Rural 51 home. Bro Christopher 365322.
    Voyages:
    1921-04-21 Lexington ON 123760 of Liverpool (Furness, Withy & Co)
    1921-07-28 Grampian Range/Man. Spinner(1921) ON 140566 of Liverpool (Furness Withy)

Also listed is another Lambe from Rush.
    Lambe, William (Sailor) RS2 No.395909.
    Born: 1895-07-03, Rush, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Photo: f5
    Extra info: son of Michael & Harriet. 1901 Rush Tn 20, 1911 Rush Rural 140 home
    Voyages:
    1919-02-06 Rembrandt ON 110571 of Liverpool (Lamport & Holt)
    1919-07-10 Sampan ON 108354 of Liverpool (Denaby Shipping)
    1919-10-03 Hannington Court ON 135157 of London (Haldin & Co)
    1919-12-06 Rembrandt ON 110571 of Liverpool (Lamport & Holt)
    1920-09-09 River Tawe ON 143515 (Llewellyn Merrett)

For more info you might try St Maurs CC who should have marriage records.

Corsendonk, will you ever have a look and see if I have long lost wealthy relatives? The type giving away a few €uro. Could do with a little lift;)

You are doing great work on this thread.

Rush is a pretty quiet town these days compared to the 18th century.

http://ied.dippam.ac.uk/records/21958
    "SAILING SHIPS AND PRIVATEERS a talk by Capt. R. H. Davis 1952
    Another vessel that was handed back to her master, almost
    at our own door, was a vessel named the "Industry". On her
    arrival at Belfast in September 1779 her master made a
    deposition to the effect that North of the entrance to
    Strangford Lough he was boarded by a boat from the American privateer
    "Black Prince" which carried a crew of a hundred and thirty men.
    Before bringing him on board the privateer, the officer in
    charge of the boat relieved the deponent of ten guineas in gold, some
    silver, his watch and buckles and a quantity of wearing apparel.
    He was detained on board for nearly three hours and was then
    allowed to return to his ship, and he arrived in Belfast at
    five o'clock the same day. While on board the Black
    Prince, off the Copelands, she took a sloop bound from Liverpool
    to Larne which was ransomed for two hundred guineas, she then
    continued north and was observed passing Larne at 3.00 p.m.
    In her next voyage, on her arrival at Cork, the "Industry"
    reported that the Belfast privateer "Amazon" had arrived off
    Madeira for a supply of provisions was was (sic) forced to sea
    again by the violence of the weather and had not returned
    before the "Industry" had sailed.
    The "Black Prince", which I have mentioned, for a while
    played havoc in the channel with our shipping. She was
    commanded by a man named Patrick Dowling and it was said that
    both he and the majority if his crew belonged to Rush in County
    Dublin. Early in March 1780 both he and his ship were much in
    the news. A letter was received in Dublin from Holyhead
    reporting that two of the mail packets, the "Hillsborough" and
    the "Bessborough", were taken by the "Black Prince" and a
    consort named the "Princess" which accompanied her. The letter stated
    that it was believed that the privateer intended landing at
    Rush with her plunder. The authorities on receipt of the letter
    at once called out the volunteers from four different Corps.
    The Merchant Corps were joined by detachments from the Dublin
    Goldsmiths, the Liberty, and the County Volunteers, three
    hundred men in all marched for Rush at midnight, and on arrival there surrounded the town when it was found that owing to a heavy
    South West Gale blowing, the privateer had been unable to make
    the harbour.
    Apparently there was many renegades serving in enemy
    privateers a number of which carried Letters of Marque from both
    France and America and fought under whichever flag suited. In
    October 1781, a letter was received by the owners of a Belfast
    ship - a cartel ship named the "Statesman" - which had carried
    French prisoners of war to a channel port. The letter said -
    "This place is full of privateers, the greater part of whose
    crews are English or Irish". Further on the letter went on to
    say that a sailor from one of the privateers had told the writer
    that his vessel was being prepared for service in the Irish
    channel where they hoped to make their fortune by capturing some
    of the Belfast linen ships. A linen ship would certainly have
    been a valuable prize as mention is made that on occasions these
    little ships had a cargo valued at a hundred thousand pounds.
    In addition to linens they sometimes had bullion on board. The
    statement of the captain of the cartel ship as to English and
    Irish crews being on board was verified when less than three
    moths afterwards, the Stag frigate brought into Dublin a large
    cutter privateer named the Anti-Briton that had been fitted out
    at Dunkirk. She was commanded by John Kelly, a native of Rush,
    and there were twelve ransomers on board to the amount of sixty
    thousand pounds. In all, ninety-eight persons were taken out
    of her and all but seven were lodged in Newgate on the charge of
    being traitors.
    In September of this same year, 1781, our friend of the
    "Black Prince", Patrick Dowling turned up again. This time he
    was in command of a privateer flying French colours, the
    "Fantasie", and although only eight days out from Dunkirk had
    already taken seven prizes, among them the Belfast brig "Bell"
    appears to be one of the last Belfast ships taken before the
    declaration of an uneasy peace which lasted for ten years.
    Owing to the approach of this peace, in January 1783, orders
    were received at Belfast to suspend all recruiting, and a few
    weeks afterwards a hundred and fifty men who had joined the
    navy at Belfast were paid off, and already Belfast ships were
    being advertised for New York and Philadelphia. On the 21st
    February our local press published the King's Proclamation,
    dated the 14th of the cessation of arms with the States General
    of the United Provinces and the United States of America.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rush is a pretty quiet town these days compared to the 18th century.
    I don't know - another couple of hundred year and who knows - people reading the Boards archives may find the exploits of the likes of Corsendonk and LeoB legendary:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

Lamb, John, Mason

There was a John Lamb{e}a mason who was Katies brother, they were my aunt and uncle, also my grandfather was a john lamb who was married to Elisabeth ?? of unknown name . Have been trying to to find out Elisabeths maiden name for some time now with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ceadnus

Does anyone remember the good old days exhibition in rush between 1972 and 1984. I was a teenager on holidays at the time. Where did all the old stuff go. There was a pitch and putt green attached and two girls with light coloured hair used to give out the clubs. Does anyone remember who they were or what became of them. It was a great exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I do indeed.

Loved the crazy golf and the little orange boats on the lake with the island in the middle.
    The water wheel in the bar was great too.

I've often wondered if some of the exhibits ended up in Newbridge House in Donabate?
    I recall, there were vehicles too, wonder where they are now.

ceadnus wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the good old days exhibition in rush between 1972 and 1984. I was a teenager on holidays at the time. Where did all the old stuff go. There was a pitch and putt green attached and two girls with light coloured hair used to give out the clubs. Does anyone remember who they were or what became of them. It was a great exhibition.

A great spot. Dont know why it closed. I was at a few functions in it and they were great. I remember the crazy golf and the girls who gave out the clubs. Patricia and Noleen both daughters of the owner. Both are living in Rush. Still as nice as ever.
    I do indeed.

Loved the crazy golf and the little orange boats on the lake with the island in the middle..
    Used to love trying to tip a boat over on one of my mates. It was a long walk back to the harbour area from there with wet clothes.
    The water wheel in the bar was great too.

I've often wondered if some of the exhibits ended up in Newbridge House in Donabate?
    I recall, there were vehicles too, wonder where they are now.

Dont know where the exhibits went but there were thrashing machines, vintage tractors, ploughs and the likes.

Pity it went.

Great to hear from someone who remembers the exhibition. Why did it shut down? The mill wheel, the horse drawn cab and the bedroom that they had layed out in the little cottage at the front are staying with me forever. There was something about that brass bed. I also had a real liking for oil lamps and horse cab lights and still do. Do you have any pictures of it. I knew that Liam Butterly owned it and that he had died since. I think one of his daughters worked behind the bar in the resturant. I didn't know that the two girls who gave out the golf clubs were his daughters too. You say there are still around and living in Rush. I'm sure they got married and have their own family since like the rest of us. I think they would have been around 18 and 16 when I was there. I would love to get my hands on a souvenier from the exhibition. The old wall is still there.

Great to hear from someone who remembers the exhibition. Why did it shut down? The mill wheel, the horse drawn cab and the bedroom that they had layed out in the little cottage at the front are staying with me forever. There was something about that brass bed. I also had a real liking for oil lamps and horse cab lights and still do. Do you have any pictures of it. I knew that Liam Butterly owned it and that he had died since. I think one of his daughters worked behind the bar in the resturant. I didn't know that the two girls who gave out the golf clubs were his daughters too. You say there are still around and living in Rush. I'm sure they got married and have their own family since like the rest of us. I think they would have been around 18 and 16 when I was there. I would love to get my hands on a souvenier from the exhibition. The old wall is still there.

I dont know why it shut down. It appeared to me to be quite succesful but I suppose the gradual closure of caravan parks, there was a big one right behind the GODS and the arrival of foregion holidays to the masses would have played a part.
    I think I heard a few years ago before it was the GODS it was a Poultry farm of some description. Dont know the details.

I cant remember who served in it really apart from a few locals who got some bar work. I was at a few functions in it and they were always good. Liams family who worked the Mini golf and boat pond are married and live locally. They are a very nice family. I am sure there are a few souviners around but I dont know what is behind the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I think I heard a few years ago before it was the GODS it was a Poultry farm of some description. Dont know the details.

It was a battery, egg producer. All the sheds were full of chickens in the small cages, stacked 3 or 4 cages high, producing eggs. Smell was terrible, lots of locals worked there packing the eggs, for sale

'' Go to work on a Butterly Egg ''

That takes me back.

So the good old days was an egg factory for Butterly eggs. I remember those eggs, don't know if they're still around. I was once told that Liam Butterly was going to have the exhibition at the empty Kenure House. I used to go to Rush for my holidays as my father had a caravan in Archer's field in Sandy Lane. The caravans are gone but the field is still there, thank God. We used to run down the little lane that led to the beech. The days were very sunny in the 70s. There was a group of blonde girls who used to all walk up together from their swim past our caravan.I think they were sisters and natives of Rush. I also stayed in the Hilly Skilly caravan site. I don't know if it was called that at the time. That was the year the GOOD opened. I once stayed in the old cottage in sandy lane. It was owned by a miss thorne who lived next door and it had a thatched roof at the time. It's still there but the thatch roof is gone. I sometimes drop in to rush with my own family and it feels the same. Don't like the big tesco near the gates of Kenure.

• Advertisement

I used to go to Rush for my holidays as my father had a caravan in Archer's field in Sandy Lane. The caravans are gone but the field is still there, thank God. We used to run down the little lane that led to the beech. The days were very sunny in the 70s. There was a group of blonde girls who used to all walk up together from their swim past our caravan.I think they were sisters and natives of Rush. I also stayed in the Hilly Skilly caravan site. I don't know if it was called that at the time. .

Archers caravan site is gone about 20years now. The days certainly seemed much warmer back then or did we just play more outside and keep warmer?

That area was know to older Rush people as the Hilly skillys, along from Archers site to to Rogerstown, basically it is the dunes

Advertisement