Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Absolutely stunning! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

And I always linked sushi with fish...hence the avoidance of sushi bars/restaurants!! Wasabi is something I'd like to try sometime lol.

well the only other thing I used to make it with was tuna when I ate fish, then again I would find rice and soy sauce on its own tasty :P
    Ok, so this isn't about sushi, but it's Japanese anyway....: Yamamori has one of the tastiest tofu dishes ever. But then everything they make is tasty so... It's sad that I spend much more money on food than on anything else. Yeah, the point is, Japanese places tend to be very good for vegetarian food, more so than other Asian restaurants in my experience.

oh gawd me too :o
    When I was leaving my old house I thought I had hardly any food left in it before I left.....when I packed that up I had 5 big bags of food after throwing out anything perishable, must not go food shopping for a while...

Hi peeps! \0
    How is everyone?
    I was in Yamamori last week, had the salted soya beans and yasai goza with a beer...tasty :) Someone with us there had the tofu steak...it's HUGE!! And had a mango sauce on it too. Well the Japanese love their veggies, it wouldnt surprise me one bit.

I love tofu steak, but is so filling and unstoppably yummy. It ends up making me cry. :P
    Which Yamamori did you go to? Was at the one on Georges St recently. The food was bad, and the service was appauling. Two of the wait staff tried to grab my friends plate while he was actually eating from it!
    It used to be so good to :(

hope moonbaby is keeping well! I always see that tofu steak on the menu and wonder how big/nice it is, dying to try it now after reading here.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    hope moonbaby is keeping well! I always see that tofu steak on the menu and wonder how big/nice it is, dying to try it now after reading here.

I'm good.....My sister just came back from holidays with buckets of Milka chocolate for me.
    <3 I knew my parents had a some kind of reason for having her ;)

Your well too? Your after moving?

Seriously, I'm a savage and I wouldn't be able to move after it.
    You'd definitely need a Tar disposal unit to help you. ;)
    It is worth it though. :)
    I have to try the Yasai Gyoza Dumplings myself. It is a crime that I have never had them

Did you see Grab one is doing a deal for Govindas?
    http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/govindas-vegetarian

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm good.....My sister just came back from holidays with buckets of Milka chocolate for me.
    <3 I knew my parents had a some kind of reason for having her ;)

Your well too? Your after moving?

Seriously, I'm a savage and I wouldn't be able to move after it.
    You'd definitely need a Tar disposal unit to help you. ;)
    It is worth it though. :)
    I have to try the Yasai Gyoza Dumplings myself. It is a crime that I have never had them

Did you see Grab one is doing a deal for Govindas?
    http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/govindas-vegetarian

milka chocolate is so amazing, used to always be given it by relations in Belgium and Switzerland. So long since I had it.
    Yup I've moved now, not too far, I'm about Phibsboro now, it's so handy for everywhere I love it. New housemates seem grand so far, hungarian, russian and spanish so we're an odd bunch :D
    Actually spent so long talking earlier about the different sounds you make to call animals in different countries :o So odd to hear them calling cats different ways, mind blowing stuff moonbaby! I just never knew.
    Also discovered that there is a cat that comes to visit out the back, we've not made friends yet but we will, in time.

Would want to be big for the price. Saw that govindas thing but I just wouldnt really spend more than €7 each anyway. Have got a good few of those food dealys recently, used one for foam cafe recently. Their food's not the best but the place is deadly!

milka chocolate is so amazing, used to always be given it by relations in Belgium and Switzerland. So long since I had it.
    Yup I've moved now, not too far, I'm about Phibsboro now, it's so handy for everywhere I love it. New housemates seem grand so far, hungarian, russian and spanish so we're an odd bunch :D
    Actually spent so long talking earlier about the different sounds you make to call animals in different countries :o So odd to hear them calling cats different ways, mind blowing stuff moonbaby! I just never knew.
    Also discovered that there is a cat that comes to visit out the back, we've not made friends yet but we will, in time.

Would want to be big for the price. Saw that govindas thing but I just wouldnt really spend more than €7 each anyway. Have got a good few of those food dealys recently, used one for foam cafe recently. Their food's not the best but the place is deadly!

I found a website that ships Milka. My christmas present to me, is going to be 2kg of the hard stuff. Like this.

3649.jpg

/droolllzz

If I die from sugar exhaustion.....I'll make sure what is left find you. ;)

I really Like Phibsoro.:) My friends used to live by the Berkley Rd. They just moved. Have been pottering around there for years.
    The Thai place, Camille does a really decent lunch special, noodles for 6 quid.

Your housemates sound cool :) It'll be interest to see how all the cultural quirks mix together.
    I'm gonna pm you a cat story when I finish. :pac:

Aw is the food not good in Foam? :( Another friend used to live by there.
    Manys a night, I had to be torn away from the sight of things cakey and lovely.... after hours of course.

I must look out for some of those deals. Had amazing Pizza recently, in a little place in Rathmines. Manifesto. Not cheap though, but worth it.

Gah wrote out a reeally long winded cat story and the laptop dies!
    I'm off to my leaba....but you'll have it tomorrow.

I found a website that ships Milka. My christmas present to me, is going to be 2kg of the hard stuff. Like this.

3649.jpg

/droolllzz

If I die from sugar exhaustion.....I'll make sure what is left find you. ;)

I really Like Phibsoro.:) My friends used to live by the Berkley Rd. They just moved. Have been pottering around there for years.
    The Thai place, Camille does a really decent lunch special, noodles for 6 quid.

Your housemates sound cool :) It'll be interest to see how all the cultural quirks mix together.
    I'm gonna pm you a cat story when I finish. :pac:

Aw is the food not good in Foam? :( Another friend used to live by there.
    Manys a night, I had to be torn away from the sight of things cakey and lovely.... after hours of course.

I must look out for some of those deals. Had amazing Pizza recently, in a little place in Rathmines. Manifesto. Not cheap though, but worth it.

Look at the lil river of toffee in the picture :P
    If I find some illegible etchings in half-melted slabs of chocolate by the pile of sugar that used to be you, I will only assume it is your will left to me :pac:

Im near enough to there, at the back of the joy basically, it's nicer than it sounds! Oh I've seen that Camille place, must check it out, actually the potato place in the epicurean does thai noodles now too, I had their veggie curry and noodles there for 5.50 or something, was so yummy and it's all cooked fresh there.

The food is grand in foam, nothing special for the price though, it is worth a visit though for a magpie such as yourself :P
    Gah wrote out a reeally long winded cat story and the laptop dies!
    I'm off to my leaba....but you'll have it tomorrow.

lol!
    I excited!

Look at the lil river of toffee in the picture :P

I can't stop looking at it! You'd swear you could just reach out and snaffle it off the screen. :D
    Im near enough to there, at the back of the joy basically, it's nicer than it sounds! Oh I've seen that Camille place, must check it out, actually the potato place in the epicurean does thai noodles now too, I had their veggie curry and noodles there for 5.50 or something, was so yummy and it's all cooked fresh there.

Ouh I was looking at a place myself there a couple of months ago. Really nice places behind there :)

There is a Potato emporium in Dubland? :o I never heard of that! Bumped in Potatoman and his Mam there one morning too. He never told me!

Cat story isn't remotely exciting. It is just cat nerdy babble. You might appreciate it though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Theres a thread on making chipper chips here

People wondering if chippers use lard or oil. I though maybe some veggies would have asked chippers in the past what oil they use. I expect it is a mixture but what sort of % do you reckon use animal fat?

Anybody know?

rubadub wrote: »

People wondering if chippers use lard or oil. I though maybe some veggies would have asked chippers in the past what oil they use. I expect it is a mixture but what sort of % do you reckon use animal fat?

Anybody know?

Not a massive chip fan and I would always be looking for something decent when I do go for them. So I,d be more likely to encounter the place using lard for a better quality chip.
    In my experience maybe 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

:(
    My dad painted some sort of gloss paint thingy on our stair handrail, and it takes hours to dry so it was all sticky and I noticed a tiny little flying insect stuck to it, making teeny tiny little impulses to set itself free, so I freed it very carefully but its legs were too sticky to be useful and I had to let my kitty euthanise it. I feel horrible. Someone please tell me that I'm being unreasonable. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Anybody know?
    You know...I've never asked myself that question before, and I've not asked any chip shops I've been to either. Maybe its time I started. I would reckon that it wouldnt be too high (with a bit of luck anyway).
    :(
    My dad painted some sort of gloss paint thingy on our stair handrail, and it takes hours to dry so it was all sticky and I noticed a tiny little flying insect stuck to it, making teeny tiny little impulses to set itself free, so I freed it very carefully but its legs were too sticky to be useful and I had to let my kitty euthanise it. I feel horrible. Someone please tell me that I'm being unreasonable. :(
    You made a lot of effort to free the insect in the first place, so You shouldnt feel bad about that. If it was stuck to the handrail it more than likely would have died in that position, and would have taken much longer too.

It's weighed against the quick and hopefully painless, or long, drawn out suffering. I would say You done the right thing, so dont feel bad about it.:)

Your cat likes insects anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

You know...I've never asked myself that question before, and I've not asked any chip shops I've been to either. Maybe its time I started. I would reckon that it wouldnt be too high (with a bit of luck anyway).

Yeah me neither, I always kept an eye out in case they were cooking the chips in the same oil as chicken or burgers or something, but I never considered it might not be oil at all. Though sometimes you do get a bag of chips that tastes kind of like a full Irish smells, I guess that's that mystery solved for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Anybody know?

Since I started working in a restaurant that styles itself as an upmarket twist on the standard fish and chip shop, it wasn't until I worked here for two months that I found out that the chips were cooked in lard. In future I will ask everywhere before I order chips in future. Better to be safe than sorry. I think the majority of places use lard to cook their chips to be honest. I was kicking myself because in retrospect it seemed like such an obvious question to ask, also peeved that the management or chefs didn't tell me when I was ordering my lunch.

Burdocks are always cooked in Lard. In case that helps any Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Can you request vegetable oil I wonder? I know a vegan who regularly eats from Burdocks.

Can you request vegetable oil I wonder? I know a vegan who regularly eats from Burdocks.

I seriously doubt it. I had a quite helpful lady in Burdocks one day, who explained why they used lard. She seemed sorry to send me home emptyhanded. Never made mention of being able to fry in vegetable oil.
    It can be difficult enough to get the information from people. Especially if they have poor English/less cultural respect for the concept of vegetarian or veganism.
    Might be worth mentioning to your friend, in case they have been misinformed in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Vegetarianism thread going on over in humanities if anyone fancies taking a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had a quite helpful lady in Burdocks one day, who explained why they used lard..
    What were her reasons? and are you certain it was pig lard, I was reading up on oils and they said it is rare enough to use lard and that beef dripping was more common.

What were her reasons? and are you certain it was pig lard, I was reading up on oils and they said it is rare enough to use lard and that beef dripping was more common.

Taste and traditional ethos basically, she didn't mention health benefits. Lard is my own addition, I presumed was a catch all term for animal fat. Didn't realise it refered to pigs.
    She did specify what kind of fat they used, but I can,t recall. Sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

PC Gamer scans of skyrim, good read, cant wait!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

watch this in full screen and in 1080p HD :eek:

grow a pair!

apaulogies

RAWRRR

sebastien_chabal_370368a21.jpg?w=300

nobody said anything about cannibalism :/

right......some of us have science to do

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. And the Science gets done.

I'm only thanking that for the Neanderthals spectacular abs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quick question about Quorn without startign a new thread.

Buying some quorn products, can people recomend which one taste like the meat version.
    I've had mince, and I can be deguised in a strong sauce.
    Sausages were different but still nice.

Don't want to buy packets of stuff if it ends up tasting like cardboard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement