Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Pangea wrote: »
    How come Exacta weather are getting so much news coverage?
    Have they a good record for forecasting cold winters?

They’re forecasts are very sensationalist which suits the rags quoting them.

Every winter - coldest on record.

Every summer - barbecue summer.

Tabloids don’t do average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Il take your links and raise you :D

REVEALED: WORST WINTER EVER ON WAY TO DONEGAL AS -20C TO HIT COUNTY

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/10/10/revealed-worst-winter-ever-on-way-to-donegal-as-20c-to-hit-county/

"James Madden, long-range forecaster for Exacta Weather, said: "The most frequent and heavy snowfalls will occur during November, December and January. That's the view at present."

So it's October, and none of the predicted snow (what a surprise !), so let's try for November instead. And hey, if it doesn't snow in November, well he's covered his ass by including most of the rest of the Winter months for the possibility of the heaviest snowfall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Can't wait to hear M.Ts Winter Forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

How come Exacta weather are getting so much news coverage?
    Have they a good record for forecasting cold winters?

Exacta weather did last year for the most part correct but got the start of the year wrong. They said the summer will be dull and cool while others said we will have a BBQ summer.

The rags like to blow things out of proportion. Exacta weather said October snow just in one line and the media played it as it is going to happen.

The media are taking a sensationalist approach to sell papers. Not one of these papers have actually interviewed James on why he said October just refering to his forecast.

I bet James regrets saying it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Its getting a lot colder the last few nights, hopefully a sign of things to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Snow and cold lovers wont like this, the UK Meto near normal temps Temps from Dec to Feb http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/images/prob_ensemble/20111001/3up_20111001_temp2m_months35_europe_prob_public.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Can't wait to hear M.Ts Winter Forecast.
    suppose it all depends on what type of winter people are hoping for but some will be disappointed either way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

delw wrote: »
    suppose it all depends on what type of winter people are hoping for but some will be disappointed either way

Yeah but as long as the damp lovers are disappointed all is grand ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Yeah but as long as the damp lovers are disappointed all is grand ! ;)

fingers crossed :)

Snow and cold lovers wont like this, the UK Meto near normal temps Temps from Dec to Feb http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/images/prob_ensemble/20111001/3up_20111001_temp2m_months35_europe_prob_public.png

Well the Met Office doesn't have a great record on long term forecasts. They don't give them out any more due to getting it completely wrong all the time.

• Advertisement

Lucreto wrote: »
    Well the Met Office doesn't have a great record on long term forecasts. They don't give them out any more due to getting it completely wrong all the time.

True, I would love to see snow from Nov to Feb myself, But I think one or two of our younger posters are getting their hopes up to much, and if it dosent happen there is going to be a lot of disapointed people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

well lokking at mo's track record i'd prob go with the opposite to what their forecasting, so all is still good for snowlovers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

True, I would love to see snow from Nov to Feb myself, But I think one or two of our younger posters are getting their hopes up to much, and if it dosent happen there is going to be a lot of disapointed people

your ovo talking bout me :D ye i know my hopes are set to high and am just hoping, i'll be sad if it doesnt snow but i'll get over it evenually:p

bb1234567 wrote: »
    your ovo talking bout me :D ye i know my hopes are set to high and am just hoping, i'll be sad if it doesnt snow but i'll get over it evenually:p

Not just yourself:) be very intertsting to see MT's winter outlook, and the netweather winter outlook is out this week as well, Fingers crossed for a cold one

Not just yourself:) be very intertsting to see MT's winter outlook, and the netweather winter outlook is out this week as well, Fingers crossed for a cold one

Any idea when this week they will be released?

Lucreto wrote: »
    Any idea when this week they will be released?

Not sure which day, should be close to the end of the week, looks like the evening herlad are jumping on the cold bandwagon, but its quoted from James Madded again:rolleyes: http://www.herald.ie/news/new-ice-age-on-the-way-but-its-just-a-little-one-2901083.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Scorpdoc

davidsr20 wrote: »
    U really are trying to rain on our parrade h ha it's going to be coldest ever I hope ;)

Yes I was:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Kieran Hickey, Climatologist in NUIG was just interviewed on RTE news re cold weather patterns in northern Europe. He seems to think that increased sun activity this year will bring a milder winter, although he did say it's by no means a certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Kieran Hickey, Climatologist in NUIG was just interviewed on RTE news re cold weather patterns in northern Europe. He seems to think that increased sun activity this year will bring a milder winter, although he did say it's by no means a certainty.

Bring on the mild winter :D

We got too much of a good white out last year, best to savour these winters if and when they come along.

fizzycyst wrote: »

I was told it takes a year for any increase in activity to have any effect. I don't know how many sunspots we had last year but we are still 60% down that it should be at a maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Lol, not winter related but taught we
    could use a laugh. RTE need people like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm starting to believe it's going to be milder this year,too many are expecting snowmaggedin but I think were all jinksing it!

Can anyone recall the weather pattern this time last year?was it wind and rain like now?

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I'm starting to believe it's going to be milder this year,too many are expecting snowmaggedin but I think were all jinksing it!

Can anyone recall the weather pattern this time last year?was it wind and rain like now?

Yes its is something similar and if dose happen it could well be game on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have a winter forecast basically "sketched out" from the research analysis and the plan is to include it with the daily forecast on Thursday 13th.

No sneak previews, but I promise it won't be a "mild southwesterly" all winter prediction.

Increased solar activity in recent months factors into the research model but the basic principle here is that milder long-term trends normally follow several years of higher than normal activity. Some of the coldest winters have actually come during the "ramp up" period of active solar cycles, and with the recent four year solar quiet spell, this developing cycle reminds me more of a low to moderate peak in the Dalton or the late 19th century periods. Those were epic times for cold winters whether the sun was slightly active or not.

But even 1947, one of the most prolific of cold snowy winters, came just before a very active peak that spanned roughly 1947 to 1950. Other examples of cold winters that came just before, or at, solar max include 1917, 1979 and 1838. Probably 1987 could also be considered as solar activity was beginning to "turn on" again that year. The very high peak of 1957-58 was preceded by a cold winter in 1956 when the Sun was getting towards the level of activity normally seen in less notable cycles. So all in all, the "concept" of cold winters requiring quiet sun can rather easily be disproven. It's really just the background colder averages of the Maunder and Dalton periods that led to this concept in the first place. There's something to be said for the more refined concept that cold winters seem to fall more frequiently than random during periods of increasing solar activity, while mild winters seem to cluster on the other side of the roller coaster. But these are far from inflexible rules, just tendencies that I've spotted in my data analysis.

In any case, the physical cause and effect that relates weather patterns to solar activity must be more complicated than just signal and response because different regions display different signatures relative to solar activity and yet we're all subject to the same changes in the incoming solar radiation (which tends to be somewhat greater during active solar periods -- despite the cooler nature of sunspots themselves, the Sun belts out more radiation during its active phases).

If I can find some good graphs to illustrate, I may return to this discussion with those in a day or two, at the moment my own research material is on a computer not connected to this internet computer and I would need to copy the graphs I can see in my "office" here most probably by hand as the two machines don't connect very easily (this will gradually cease to be a problem because the data base itself has been transferred).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Look forward to hearing your thoughts MT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rigador

I'm new to boards......... have been following the weather threads with great interest for the past couple of years so thought I'd join up this year and join in :) - hoping also to educate myself a little!

I'm not skilled in the art of predicting weather, however I do posess the wonderful gift of being a snow lover ;) so I am too hoping for more of what we've had the past couple of years.

Watching MT. Cranium's posts like a hawk and looking forward to his winter predicition later this week.

Based in Dublin and it's just too warm here today for my liking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Rigador wrote: »
    I'm new to boards......... have been following the weather threads with great interest for the past couple of years so thought I'd join up this year and join in :) - hoping also to educate myself a little!

I'm not skilled in the art of predicting weather, however I do posess the wonderful gift of being a snow lover ;) so I am too hoping for more of what we've had the past couple of years.

Watching MT. Cranium's posts like a hawk and looking forward to his winter predicition later this week.

Based in Dublin and it's just too warm here today for my liking :p

Welcome Rigador... glad the forum has another snowbie ****** Enjoy !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

so much fun in here when the winter kicks in cant wait

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement