Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A restoration tale (with pics)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

:(

Ah crap! This is such a shame.

I appreciate how you must be feeling, but we're all disappointed for you.

You put such effort and time into this.

Whilst completely respecting your decision, I wonder is now the wrong time of year to be selling a boat? (A bit like trying to sell a convertible in winter.)

If you don't sell it, might it be worth a re-appraisal in spring?

Best of luck!

PS Boards will be a poorer place without this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

DNME I can understand the sentiments and your reasons for giving up at this point. Its been a long road and it seems nothing has gone easily for you. I have faced similar burnout myself with previous boats I have owned and have reached the end of my patience/energy/ability and sold them(and been happy when i did). As they say the two happiest days you have with your boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Thanks for taking the time to post all this.

My thumbs up in your post above are a general thanks for this rather than a reaction to the post itself.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Dmne...... can't have been and easy decision, sorry to see it end.

Wouldn't it be great if a boardsie bought it, hijacked your thread and finished it.

Anyway, hope it's not the last we hear from you... best of luck

Harry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's such a shame to see the thread end this way, but I'm going to make it a sticky for a few months to keep information available and hopefully inspire others to take up this or a similar challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Completely understand the decision, ya gotta know when to cut your losses and its better the boat goes than your sanity. That said its good to see it for sale as a boat and not "various sized fiberglass panels, roughly cut to various patterns"

If your not happy with the prices your getting offered drag the boat and trailer over to a corner of the garden, put the trailer on blocks and cover it in a tarp until next year. What you have now is a hull, it floats and its a good platform for an outboard. When the sun comes out next spring you might get a new burst of enthuasism yourself or at least someone else will be prepared to pay more for it then than now.

Dont let this put you off boats completely, nobody can dispute that you have the patience and skills to do the job right on the right boat, you just need a canvas that is a little bit more forgiving. Jesus, just look back at the photos and see all the work you have done and if all the other jobs you did to that boat were even only half as difficult and frustrating as that trailer yesterday I dont know how you coped.

If you do get her sold then now is a good time of the year to buy a boat, get back in the saddle and all that. If only amazon sold boats......:rolleyes:

PS, I thought I wasnt meant to be in those photos

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

harry21 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if a boardsie bought it, hijacked your thread and finished it.
    It should be a condition of sale that the buyer has to sign up here and continue the thread. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Pity about the boat dnme, but I understand your decision - even reading this topic took a while, I can't imagine how long you spent writing the posts, nevermind carrying out he actual work itself!
    Whilst completely respecting your decision, I wonder is now the wrong time of year to be selling a boat? (A bit like trying to sell a convertible in winter.)
    At the moment there isn't really a good time to be selling a boat. Also, considering this is a restoration project and not a fully functioning boat (yet!), it would probably be the best time to buy one as you could hope to fix it up before spring/summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

Hi dnme, just new to the thread after having come in via your online ad. If someone else was to take it on - whats left to do? Seems a shame that you are giving it up. A risk for you now is that a buyer might feel that if you're throwing in the towel that the remaining work might be lot to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Dnme stick me down as well for, sorry this is finishing, you gave it a good battle. The women had the soaps to watch each evening, i could read this soap and your lean to thread which was 100 times better than any rovers return. Hope she finds a good home.;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Dnme,
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I would echo what others have said about hoping that whoever buys it will continue here.
    Thanks for many (too many?!) hours of great reading here.
    Locum-motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

dnme, please have my thanks as well for the many hours of "cyber living" with you and the boat! It must have been a tough decision at the end but it takes an equally tough person to make these decisions. You must feel very proud of what you overcame to get this far.
    Good luck with the sale and remember, at the end of the day it's only a boat!
    But we'll all miss it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Hi Dmne, congrats on getting this far, and thanks a million for letting us share the journey. Your posts were an ongoing delight, I think we all learned something wonderful about the strength of the human spirit watching you overcome challenge after challenge.

I never met you but I consider you a friend, as do many here I'm sure. Hope you are OK and please keep in touch.

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Dnme

Here's a little reminder of what you accomplished:

From this:
    177100.jpg

to this:
    1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263368c8a4425db3a35048d09016ce5279148.jpg

From this:
    177093.jpg

to this:
    1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336fc27e445c74c30fcddb1e6e12a2bba45.jpg

From this:
    177094.jpg

To this:
    1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633628d28a2012d3f7cdba2335f7729a7349.jpg

Well done lad, you achieved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

dmne hope you and honey are ok. This has been one of the best reads on boards.ie for me and many others. I'm sure something good will come your way, you take care and hope we will hear from you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It should be a condition of sale that the buyer has to sign up here and continue the thread. ;)

I totally disagree. The Boat was only part of the story. It was so much more than that. It was more about the boat builder for me. It was an epic journey and a fantastic read. A lot of people following this thread had a level of emotional involvement. I know I did. Thank you dnme for the journey. I respect your decision and thank you for sharing your journey, experiences, trials and tribulations with the rest of us.

So no, I don't believe the thread should be continued, it just wouldn't be right without dnme at the helm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'll just leave this and say no more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hi dnme,

I just came home from Germany and a weeks absence from reading the threads, I'd just like to add my thanks and regrets to all the others that posted before me.

That was 2 fantastic threads, besides being some of the most well explained work I've ever seen (any chance you'd come lecture in UCC, we might understand a few of the subjects with you at the helm) it was interesting to read about you and Honey as well.

I hope everything works out for you both, if your ever stuck for something in Cork give me a shout, i feel like I know you already.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Jasus I got some shock - I couldn't find the thread for a minute as it's now been stickied!

Just to echo the other comments, really enjoyed the time catching up on the progress throughout the summer, best wishes for your next project.

really sorry to see you make this decision but understandable given what you have been through.

All the best in your future endevours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks everyone for the posts. "Runt" is gone!!!! Thanks be to god. It was towed out of my life about 5 minutes ago in the wet and the dark. I hope to god they (new owners) make it back to Dublin alright with her and I wish them the best of luck.

"and as the boat's reflector board beamed its red triangles back at me, I waved her off and took one final glance at the paddock where she stood and battled me for one summer of my life. The same paddock now dark, wet and cold with the promise of an oncoming winter. Pallets and chocs sodden and rotting, suggesting that something once stood there.

..................a Restoration Tale..............The End"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Congratulations on the sale and hard work.
    Can't wait for your first project for the lean to. Post here so we're all aware of it :)

some of us are boat people and follow it to help and for interesting boat tales as well as following your amazing writing and others were never boaty people, either way I think we all want to know about the next project :)

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Thanks for the thread Sir.

dnme wrote: »
    I hope to god they (new owners) make it back to Dublin alright with her and I wish them the best of luck.

Who's the one member that's been suspiciously quiet the last while, hey Fergal, got anything to confess?! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

No not me I have enough on my plate with 3 boats on the go :D

PS. I love that "Good run" video I post it on my facebook every year on my Dads anniversary and I'm sure it's the same story for a lot of us boaters,The circle of life through boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

So who is the mysterious buyer??

Anyone wanna own up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Well done! It was a great project and in addition to the hard work on the boat itself, the effort you put into writing it up and photographing it is much appreciated. Not only did you bring a wreck very far along the road to a new life, you educated and entertained a lot of people. Looking forward to the next project!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

I'm sorry you couldn't finish the project. I have no doubt you had the skills to do it, but I appreciate everything else was against you.

Thank you for taking us on a most enjoyable journey, and showing all of us a thing or too.

SD13

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

It's well known in boating circles that the two happiest days of your life are:

1. The day you buy your first boat.

and

2. The day you sell it.

Congratulations DNME and thanks for a wonderful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Gerard93

Best of luck dnme for the future, who knows you might take on another project, we'de love to follow it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Thank you for all the entertainment and as my grandfather (a traditional wooden boat builder) used to say "If you don't like someone, buy him a boat":)

Advertisement