Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drive - Ryan Gosling & Carey Mulligan [** SPOILERS FROM POST 219 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This one seems to have almost slipped underneath my radar entirely. It's getting rave reviews on RT and the trailer makes it look rather awesome. It's directed by Nicolas Winding Refn who made "Bronson". Since I only heard about it today, it's nice to know that there's only a 2 week wait rather than another 12 months. :D We get to see Bryan Cranston on the big screen too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hope it's better than Vahalla Rising! Still not got around to watching Pusher or Bronson yet. THis looks like a surprisingly conventional film considering the director.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Saw it at the dublin movie fest and thought it was one of the best movies so far this year. I loved 'Bronson' and it's way better than the horribly pretentious 'Vahalla Rising'.

The first five to ten minutes of this film alone blew me away. It's exactly what I'd expect a film version of GTA to be like, but I'll say no more.

Can't wait to see it again, but some people will hate it. There were a few walk outs at the movie fest screening.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw it at the dublin movie fest and thought it was one of the best movies so far this year. I loved 'Bronson' and it's way better than the horribly pretentious 'Vahalla Rising'.

The first five to ten minutes of this film alone blew me away. It's exactly what I'd expect a film version of GTA to be like, but I'll say no more.

Can't wait to see it again, but some people will hate it. There were a few walk outs at the movie fest screening.

Walk outs? Right I get the impression the trailer is probably a bit misleading? Should have known :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm really looking forward to this. Probably going to go out and buy Driver: San Francisco straight after it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

I saw it at Movie Fest too and thought it was incredible. Had heard nothing about it before I went which was a good thing as I think the trailer gives away al lot of the film. I've been telling everyone to avoid reading or watching anything about it before they see it.

It's definitely in the running for my favourite film of the year so far. Tied with Senna at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

walter from breaking bad is in this should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Walk outs? Right I get the impression the trailer is probably a bit misleading? Should have known :P

That trailer hints at two of the most gruesome moments of the film, think of the moment in 'Wild at Heart' when Willem Dafoe dies and you're close, but the overall tone of the film is off-kilter, for example, the credits which open the film have a very 80's John Hughes/electric pink thing going on! The 80's synth heavy score won't be everyones cuppa either. Personally I loved it.

That trailer hints at two of the most gruesome moments of the film, think of the moment in 'Wild at Heart' when Willem Dafoe dies and you're close, but the overall tone of the film is off-kilter, for example, the credits which open the film have a very 80's John Hughes/electric pink thing going on! The 80's synth heavy score won't be everyones cuppa either. Personally I loved it.

Right, I'm intrigued :D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

This looks class. Will check it out on Sat..

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    We get to see Bryan Cranston on the big screen too.

He is also in Contagion, which is out here soon. Its only a bit part but its nice that the film industry is recognising his work on Breaking Bad. I'd say we wont be long in seeing him in a leading role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ive heard from a guy on another forum I use and whose judgement I trust implicitly that its a fantastic movie so very much looking forward to it.

I wasnt hugely gone on Bronson but Bleeder (written by Refn) and The Pusher Trilogy (written and directed by him) are some of the finest European movies Ive ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It really has an 80s feel to it with the music and opening credits and also Gosling's character's clothes. Ryan is excellent in it but I felt he had little chemistry with Carey and there was long silent pauses between them that were awkward because of the lack of chemistry imo. Was Brooks and Perlman's characters business/crime partners or life partners? :p

Overall quite enjoyable but it is defo a dude flick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    a dick flick

I think we need to contact the admins and add this combination of words to the swear filter. *shudder*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let me preface the following criticisms with the assertion that, in general, I rather enjoyed Drive. It's stylish, beautifully retro (the soundtrack is electrifying, and used sparingly) and excellently directed (the fantastic prologue, the great tracking shots / long takes, and a director who knows how to show rather than tell with long sequences of silence).

However, I also think it's extremely hollow. And that's sort of the point. This is a distinctively style over substance film. But the plot, however little there is, and however predictable what there is is, just goes through the motions. So while the sense were hypnotised, it for me sort of went beyond merely being shallow to the point when some bits were just dumb. Stopping and thinking here is a really bad idea.

That said, for many this will be what sets the film apart. And as an experience it's extremely distinctive. I just wouldn't go as far as some of the critical hyperbole out there. There's a great cast, even if some of Gosling's considered pauses dragged on a few seconds too long, and Refn has a unique and engaging sense of pace. Yet the formulaic, overstretched story is the one thing that, IMO, stops it from being truly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

some people will hate it. There were a few walk outs at the movie fest screening.

Sold. If theres walkouts then I know Im gonna love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I'd imagine this film will have seriously diverse opinions, I loved it, its slow and brooding but extremely stylish and well shot. The missus fell asleep.... women :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I adore this movie. Saw it at 10 in the morning yesterday and almost had the urge to immediately go watch it again. Most of the audience appeared to like it too.

The complete opposite to the disappointment that was Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

probably go and see this one as theres not much else out that interests me.

that said all the stuff in the media about it makes me think its just an arty version of "the transporter"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed it a million times more than TTSS.
    I'll be buying the soundtrack too.

• Advertisement

its just an arty version of "the transporter"
    Not sure what this means. Like any good film it strikes the right balance between art and entertainment.

Beyond the amazing opening sequence there was actually more action than I was expecting.

I honestly thought the narrative had about as much depth as your average Statham film, although is in contrast somewhat aware of that fact. But really the only bits of the film i didn't enjoy were the bits that tried to progress the plot. Few surprises. I've heard a few reviewers call it an existential thriller. While the driver is a beautiful enigma, I do think such a statement lends the story more credit than its due. Not to say there aren't some inspired moments. Brooks and cranstons chat in the garage is brilliant, and the opening sequence is contender for scene of the year.

Noting significantly distracts from all the pretty cinematography and bitchin soundtrack though. Plus one of the most unique atmospheres, tone and pace of recent years. I preferred TTSS but TBH I don't think they're worthy of comparison.

I preferred TTSS but TBH I don't think they're worthy of comparison.
    Yeah the only reason I brought TTSS up was because these were both films I was anticipating for quite a while, that have near universal acclaim by critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same here. I was looking forward to both, both were critically acclaimed, and I hated one and loved the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Very atmospheric film that just oozes of 80's (with a hint of 70's in there, too) which ain't a complaint from me :pac:

If you've seen Bronson then you'll definitely see some similarities in terms of style and long pauses. I really enjoyed the tracking shots and the scenes involving cars. Nothing sells a car sequence more to me than having no music, just the roar of high-powered engines and the squeal of tyres
    Though I did notice something odd when Gosling was being chased by the other car. When he was reversing, his engine was making noises of shifting gears.
    :pac: It's nice to see a car chase once again with the camera strapped down and not going mental with parkinsons.

Story-wise, it isn't anything special and is cliched. I thought the chemistry between Gosling and Mulligan was dull and almost non-existent. The long pauses between them made it feel unnatural and awkward. One of the few scenes I had a problem with was
    the extended kiss in the elevator, all I kept thinking of was the crazy amount of time that hitman had to put a bullet in both of their heads. I thought it would have made a better impact if it was a shorter kiss or he had just attacked the hitman after he pulled Mulligan to the corner of the lift.

Overall, there are some good surprises in here and the style and soundtrack raise this film beyond most others of 2011. It's pretty damn violent, too, and some of those scenes completely catch you out of surprise.

Definitely one of the (few) better films I've seen this year.

I see a dvd screener was leaked this morning on the web, this film deserves to be seen in the cinema.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was surprised and a little disappointed by Driver. It started well - the opening sequence was an excellent scene and introduction to the character. Unfortunately most of the characters were hollow (if you can't give Christina Hendricks or Ron Perlman anything interesting to do with their characters, you're doing it wrong) which meant that the Driver's reclusiveness and mystery was diluted because, well, you don't really get to know any of them very much. The so-called chemistry between Mulligan and Gosling was atrocious, it played like a parody of similar films.

Visually there are some great sequences, and the soundtrack is good where it's not overpoweringly loud. I think my favourite part of the whole film was the job with Standard & Blanche and the subsequent chase.

The violence was surprisingly brutal, but it felt insincere somehow (that's the wrong word but I can't think of how else to put it). There's a certain atmosphere that films like Oldboy or No Country For Old Men have and Drive was lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think it was trying too hard to be a moody film and just went the wrong side of the road
    I just didn't get the nameless protagonists raison d'etre and what he was about
    as said the over use of pauses was uncomfortable and made me fidgety
    The look of the film was as if he was trying to out-Mann Michael Mann with the green tinted L.A that we saw in Collateral
    Carey Mulligan always has that beat down look where it looks like someone has just reversed over her kitten
    Loved Bronson which it wasn't up there with but a hell of a lot better than Valhalla Rising

Fysh wrote: »
    if you can't give Christina Hendricks or Ron Perlman anything interesting to do with their characters, you're doing it wrong

I liked Hendrick's casting - the unglamorous polar opposite to her Mad Men role
    although she does have a fondness for roles where she gets slapped around
    . Sure, she may only have like five lines of dialogue, but I think she showed a bit of range in her limited screen time.

Perlman I agree on - his character was the weak link in all of this. I'm a Perlman fan, but his role here was a caricature, and not a very funny one. Maybe that's just because Brooks acted him off the screen.

Also, surprised so many people are mentioning the violence. Maybe it's just because I watched the far bloodier Kill List a few weeks, and have become officially desensitised :P

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

saw it last night, and I loved it! (I'm a girl, so not a dude flick!).

found the relationship between ryan and carey to be interesting but with little actual romance!

amazing soundtrack! would recommend it to everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

How in the feck did it get 8.7 on imdb???

It's not a bad film, but it's totally overrated. The guy is the most boring character I've ever actually seen in a movie... and the story could have been told in 45 minutes, but the director decided to pad it out to 90mins with artsy fartsy shyte. And how did yer wan actually fancy him when he never actually spoke a word? She actually fell in love with him. Totally unrealistic and bollox.

Meh out of 10. Some great violence in it though.

Advertisement