Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ah Martin McGuinness is grumpy, with a face only a mother could love, so how Gerry Adams (not necessarily the man of more substance) gets all the kudos.

Yes, he is disliked, hated, well we shall see. Its no small wonder that the parties are terrified of at least the threat McGuinness can cause. Mitchell was very quite lately, but this will spring him to life now

There is word of allegations, not necessarily well founded raised by Mitchell (no surprise there) that a recent roll was high jacked by Shinner's that was very positive about MMG (you see VD this is why I don't give polls the time of day and neither should other people). Whether its true or not, don't go making allegations that you can't prove.

Ah, good old Presidential Elections, they really bring out the worse in some Irish People.

Although as a legislator I am opposed to Mitchell's euro-weenyism (as Michael Graham would put it) but as a representative of Ireland in a figurehead diplomatic factol position I, personally, am broadly supportive. Some people say he is too old. Perhaps, although he at least looks the part. I might vote for Mary Davis in the hope of a Mary hat-trick. :D

crucamim wrote: »

"He killed many people either directly or indirectly."

Can you prove that?

"he has hated three governments: Stormont, Westminster and Dublin."

What could be wrong with that?

"He has not exactly been the greatest bridge-builder with the Protestant community"

Hear, hear. I hope that you are not passing judgement on an Northern Ireland Catholic's behaviour towards his oppressors.

1. Yup
    2. Everything. Even you as a Northern Ireland nationalist should take exception at someone who hates your state - you have problems with him abandoning his office to run for the presidency in another country so that's small potatoes compared to his long-standing feelings about the existence of NI in the first place.
    3. Not in this context, patently. I was talking about diplomacy (or lack thereof), and specifically how it would relate to his hypothetical performance in the arras. Your peddling of partisan politics, sectarianism and bigotry is your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Gregory Campbell was spot on with what he said. He has left that behind and move on. He doesn't need congratulated for it. And the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland have two different systems of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

No, you refused to respond to any of the posters that called you out on your general comments and failed to back any of them up with evidence.

You are clearly on some sort of mission to connect MMG with every atrocity the IRA committed yet the man himself condemned a lot of wrongs the organisation committed.

Don't let that get in the way of your little crusade though Liam, you had plenty of time to respond to mine and others requests for evidence of your accusations.

You also have a habit of accusing posters of hyperbole and deflection, I chuckled because you and another well known British poster are the biggest culprits of them.

Please, why get annoyed? What does it matter what Liam Byrne thinks or says about Martin McGuinness. There is a Scottish Gaelic proverb which translates into English as "The moon is none the worse for the cat cursing it."

If this person who posts under the name "Liam Byrne" were to suddenly change his mind and write "Martin McGuinness is the greatest thing since sliced pan and the Pope should declare him the first living saint", it would not solve all or any of the problems of the oppressed Catholics of Northern Ireland or of our great leader, Martin McGuinness. What the people of Eire think of us is largely irrelevant. What they say about us is a little bit more relevant as being insulted by Eirefolk is an excellent way of becoming popular among other Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Please, why get annoyed? What does it matter what Liam Byrne thinks or says about Martin McGuinness. There is a Scottish Gaelic proverb which translates into English as "The moon is none the worse for the cat cursing it."

If this person who posts under the name "Liam Byrne" were to suddenly change his mind and write "Martin McGuinness is the greatest thing since sliced pan and the Pope should declare him the first living saint", it would not solve all or any of the problems of the oppressed Catholics of Northern Ireland or of our great leader, Martin McGuinness. What the people of Eire think of us is largely irrelevant. What they say about us is a little bit more relevant as being insulted by Eirefolk is an excellent way of becoming popular among other Catholics.

Wha?

• Advertisement

Your peddling of partisan politics, sectarianism and bigotry is your own business.

Thank you. If only all other natives of Eire were as well mannered as you. Perhaps, they will follow your example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Liam is so enamoured with what he himself has to say that he isn't even reading all the arguments, he puts people on ignore and pretends to understand what is going on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Someone has time-travelled from the 1700s.

Catholic Emancipation happened a long time ago. We have the great Daniel O'Connell to thank for that, oh, and he didn't need violence to achieve it.

A question for you, how does the great leader Martin McGuinness compared to the dear leader Kim Jong Il or the great leader Kim Il Sung. Surely they must be further up the pantheon of greatness as they are responsible for more deaths than Mr. McGuinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There is a Scottish Gaelic proverb which translates into English as "The moon is none the worse for the cat cursing it."

Crap, now I have a mental image of McGuinness mooning us! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

McGuinness is good for you, and he will win the elections.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »

He's contesting more than one election? :rolleyes:

I suppose 'vote early vote often' will benefit him in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

This, in my opinion, is probably the most astonishing development in Irish politics since the Good Friday Agreement. The media have gone totally ape-sh*t about this.
    Great publicity for Sinn Fein and the Republican Movement. All the dubious fund raising and financial transactions could not buy this. Use of phrases like "West Brit" will do him no good, however, he has been solely politically active for the past 30 years and has been a major contributor to Peace in the North.
    He will be certainly getting my vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

KeithAFC wrote: »
    And the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland have two different systems of government.

Perhaps you mean Ireland and the Occupied Gerrymandered Six County Settler-Colonial Statelet?

it would not solve all or any of the problems of the oppressed Catholics of Northern Ireland or of our great leader, Martin McGuinness. What the people of Eire think of us is largely irrelevant. What they say about us is a little bit more relevant as being insulted by Eirefolk is an excellent way of becoming popular among other Catholics.

One word. Five letters. First letter 't', last letter "l'....:rolleyes:

Anybody who refers to the 26 county state as Éire when speaking English can only be British, and invariably of the most zealous anti-Irish sort.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Perhaps you mean Ireland and the Occupied Gerrymandered Six County Settler-Colonial Statelet?
    No. I mean the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. Martin isn't running to be the president of Northern Ireland. So that is why people in the Irish Republic will have much more interest in the actual result and care about the actual result of the vote. People in N.I are always going to be interested in the discussion when it comes to Sinn Fein.

No. I mean the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. Martin isn't running to be the president of Northern Ireland. So that is why people in the Irish Republic will have much more interest in the actual result and care about the actual result of the vote. People in N.I are always going to be interested in the discussion when it comes to Sinn Fein.

Ah, so you do mean the state named Ireland, and recognised internationally as Ireland. But of course you know this, and that the 'Irish Republic' was a unilaterally declared Irish state which was declared in Easter 1916 and which remains unfilled at present. But never mind your avoidance of the correct name of the state, you're so petty that you deliberately avoid using the correct description of the state - Republic of Ireland - because your purpose in using "Irish Republic" is to insult.

Ah, so you do mean the state named Ireland, and recognised internationally as Ireland. But of course you know this, and that the 'Irish Republic' was a unilaterally declared Irish state which was declared in Easter 1916 and which remains unfilled at present. But never mind your avoidance of the correct name of the state, you're so petty that you deliberately avoid using the correct description of the state - Republic of Ireland - because your purpose in using "Irish Republic" is to insult.
    Nope. I think this argument is silly and don't want to get involved in it. I name it the Irish Republic in a loving term. I also name it as Ireland or sometimes the Republic of Ireland. I actually do name that state by its legal name. Unlike some when it comes to Northern Ireland who never name it by its proper title.

But this going completely off topic. Lets agree to disagree.

He does it all the time. You should see the rubbish he comes out with on Politics.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He does it all the time. You should see the rubbish he comes out with on Politics.ie
    What his name over there?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I don't post on politics ie.

Anyway, has Martin Mcguinness done any radio interviews today. Would be interesting to hear his answers to some of these accusations.

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

KeithM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I don't post on politics ie.

Anyway, has Martin Mcguinness done any radio interviews today. Would be interesting to hear his answers to some of these accusations.
    What accusations? Stuff which he hasnt addressed a 100 times before?

Out on interest what mural is that in your sig, its too small to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 myself69

myself69 wrote: »
    I don't have an account on politics ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

dlofnep wrote: »
    But there will be a terrible stink about the place the morning after. :pac:

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Liam is so enamoured with what he himself has to say that he isn't even reading all the arguments, he puts people on ignore and pretends to understand what is going on :)

That is his business. At least he does not interfere in the internal politics of Northern Ireland. He is merely opposing Martin McGuinness interfering in the internal politics of Eire.

P.S. I prefer another poster to ignore me rather than insult me.

Godge wrote: »

Catholic Emancipation happened a long time ago.

Not in Northern Ireland - and still not completed in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

That is his business. At least he does not interfere in the internal politics of Northern Ireland. He is merely opposing Martin McGuinness interfering in the internal politics of Eire.

P.S. I prefer another poster to ignore me rather than insult me.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Eire.

You seem to enjoy using the Irish language here. Please feel free to use the dictionary link which will allow you use the English version here in future.

One word. Five letters. First letter 't', last letter "l'....:rolleyes:

Anybody who refers to the 26 county state as Éire when speaking English can only be British, and invariably of the most zealous anti-Irish sort.

What is wrong with being British? Yes, I am British. I was born into a tribe which had been expelled from the Irish nation in 1921. I have accepted the verdict of history.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

What is wrong with being British? Yes, I am British. I was born into a tribe which had been expelled from the Irish nation in 1921. I have accepted the verdict of history.

Now I know you area at it.

Advertisement