Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chain Gang Sportives 2011

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

More worried about rain showers!!! Thanks to the chain gangs offer in the Brandon hotel I should have plenty of water for afterwards!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

You always just air dry:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Did this today and had a great day out. Pity the weather couldn't have been a small bit kinder. There were some savage winds at times. Very well organised so well done to the chain gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thanks to the Gang.
    Very well organised as usual.
    The cream cakes and hot showers were just what the doc ordered.
    Spent half the day out of the saddle due to an issue with my sit bones/saddle sore. Agony.
    Pity about the weather but it could have been held anytime from May till now and the weather would have been no different.
    Met Lescol and CheGuedara and that's it of boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Did the 150km route and the route was tough with Conors Pass being so early in the day. Weather wasn't too bad as there was only some showers, the wind was strong in places but nothing too bad. Got a stitch about half way so lost the main group and was on my own for the rest of the route, upset stomach then for final 30km so like ROK ON finished that section out of the saddle, although the final climb suited that!

Few minor complaints - Lead car was going in/out of hard shoulder which was dangerous getting a group of cyclist to unnecessarily cross the roadlines and cat eye's, I imagine this was to assist traffic flow but could've caused an accident. Also no toilet facilities at the second / third stop. Second time doing the event and will go be back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

A well organised event, thank you to all involved.

Did the 110km due to feeling under the weather. Enjoyed the sunshine, hated the showers. Punctured front tube at 55kph coming down the Conor Pass which was a scary moment.

The Dingle to Tralee ride turned out to be a solo effort and I was looking forward to a nice freewheel down into Tralee, turned the bend at the top and was nearly blown backwards!

@ROK ON, hope your problem resolves quickly, you looked really uncomfortable.

All in all, a great event, will be back again for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Did the 110 and it was fun but tough, the wind was a pain, especially climbing the Conor pass, my first time climbing that beast. Will have another crack at that for sure.
    Hospitality was great so thanks to all of the organisers and volunteers, grub was top notch and warm showers rounded off an enjoyable day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

First time on the Chain gang sportives, did the 150K, Wexford Wheelers gear. Great event, well organised , good showers afterwards, good food. My first time down around the connor pass and slea head.

Bit of a race broke out on the return from Slea head, a few miles before the Leathaoibh hill. A group of us hung on as much as we could !.

Bit of confusion back in dingle on the returm whether to go back to the original feed station or go right at the roundabout.

Had a head cam on board so will post up links here and to the chain gang people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Michael196. I was wondering was that you, I should have come over to say hi.
    I think we met at a race earlier this year in Co Limerick. Would be good to see clips of climb and descent of Conor Pass as well as the section of Slea Head from the ford to the statue by the coast road.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Michael196. I was wondering was that you, I should have come over to say hi.
    I think we met at a race earlier this year in Co Limerick. Would be good to see clips of climb and descent of Conor Pass as well as the section of Slea Head from the ford to the statue by the coast road.

yep, I can never tell the boardsies in a group !!! I only Know Captain Havoc !! now without his boards gear . Looking over the footage this morning, camera angle was pointing down a bit too much, footage of the connor pass has alot of my hanldebars !!, and rain drops on the lens obscured a fair amount, anyhow a proper review next few days and see what I can get off the card. Should be good enough. Hopefully Slea head is there, otherwise i will have to do it again !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Hi all,

Just a post to extend a huge thanks on behalf of the Chain Gang to everyone who joined us on the road yesterday - the rain before the off was atrocious and it would have been a very easy choice looking out at it and the wind driving it to say 'nuts to that!' and stay in bed. Instead there was some major HTFU-ing done and riders took on what is unanimously agreed to be the hardest spin put down on the peninsula this year.

We were amazed at how many riders travelled distances to stay in Tralee and ride the event and hope everyone enjoyed the day in spite of the 'inclementness' and your feedback as always is greatly appreciated - sometimes it's difficult to see the rock when you're working right at the coalface so rider reviews are the some of the most useful things for us to see what's being done well and what may be considered for improvement in the future.

I must thank:
    • All those that volunteered their day to marshal the event, standing out on junctions, roundabouts, manning sign-on, food and waterstops,
    • The Gardai and the Irish Red Cross for their support,
    • Kerins O'Rahillys and Pobal Scoil Corca Dhuibhne for the use of their facilities and
    • Club Patrons and supporters, the Blasket Bar & Restaurant, Costello Contractors, O'Halloran Cycles, Poff Motors, the Brandon Hotel and Kerry Spring Water
    Lastly - keep an eye out on the event website and club facebook page over the coming week; there was a good few of photographers out on the course and while it'll take a little bit of time to collect all the photos up once we have them we'll begin uploading them.

Thanks again everyone and we look forward to seeing on the road in 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Unfortunately I will be busy watching the Dubs lift Sam that weekend.

Told yiz!

Hope you enjoyed saturday as much as I enjoyed sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Unfortunately I will be busy watching the Dubs lift Sam that weekend.

Told yiz!

Yeh, just goes to show even with a good Gooch you can't beat a bad ref. We're looking forward to setting the record straight when ye get an opportunity to meet us again in an All Ireland in thirty odd years.

Told yiz!

swords for you next sunday then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

michael196 wrote: »
    swords for you next sunday then ?

That's the plan alright. See you there?

That's the plan alright. See you there?

yep sir

water on the lens and the camera angled too low compromised the picture quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMoC42fyKg

Advertisement