Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Documentaries

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Beyond the Mat is probably the high water mark when it comes to wrestling documentaries ... wasn't a big fan of Wrestling with Shadows, found it a bit boring for the most part, the montreal screw job saved it.

I don't think anybody has mentioned Lipstick & Dynamite ... a documentary about women's wrestling in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's. Features people like the fabulous Moolah, Mae Young, and Penny Banner.

Found it to be very interesting, and it's an aspect of pro wrestling that is often ignored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1biEpinrhY

Yeah probably a documentary that people on here would probably learn the most from. Colm ever read Dave Meltzer's Moolah obituary? That's a friggin eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

rovert wrote: »
    Yeah probably a documentary that people on here would probably learn the most from. Colm ever read Dave Meltzer's Moolah obituary? That's a friggin eye opener.

Haven't read that .... did a quick google for it, but couldn't find it.

But yeah, a pretty educational documentary. I'd rate it above Wrestling With Shadows. Most of the WWE ones I'd enjoy, but they tend to be more about nostalgia than anything else, which is grand, but rarely is there anything of substance.

Haven't read that .... did a quick google for it, but couldn't find it.

You wouldnt have forgot it if you did - white slavery, forced lesbanism the whole nine yards.
    The documentary "Memphis Heat: The True Story of Memphis Wrasslin," a four-hour collection will be released on DVD on 10/1. You can preorder it at http://www.memphis-heat.com

Yippee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. Just watched it as its on sale for a couple of quid (never going to pay the ten they wanted previously) and I must say it was very well made, so well played to the guys who made it. An iPhone App for this went up this week, anybody checked that out? (**** iPhones) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlB4C0jdgK8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jaysis I got an awful fright there.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jaysis I got an awful fright there.:eek:

Jumped straight to page 2 and saw SR at the top of the page? Same here :eek:

It promised this:
    153525715_22180cc35e.jpg

And gave us this:
    TheHomer.jpg

What did it promise exactly Rovert? I remember fans hyping it up prior to it being put on their site, then being upset that it was interview heavy and not Wrestling with Shadowsesque. But when did they imply it was going to be anything other than what it is when the seven or eight trailers that preceded it implied nothing of the sort. I even remember subscribing to their blog which talked in depth about the interviews and nothing else? (EDIT: See very first post with OP saying this will be Beyond the Mat 2)

I think £10 to watch something only on my computer was a stupid move, and like I say I was never going to pay that. But I've always been interested to watch it for myself as all the press gave it great reviews and I've seen people on forums hate on it. But if you look at the strong points of this - the quality of the filming (well on par with WWE) and the novelty of that quality giving full on shoots - what is there to hate exactly apart from your own high expectations? Its a fun two hour watch.

They never promised a Boxster, they didn't deliver a Homer, its a programme

<snip>

I dont want to seem dismissive or brush offy just that it isnt what I call at least a documentary. All the interviews arent really connected and their is no real narrative.

In the age of shoot interviews and podcasts the presentation is really dated overall. I didnt learn anything really.

• Advertisement

Ah gotcha. I see what you mean now. Yeah I get what you mean with the podcasts. I do think we live in a bit of a Golden age for content - for instance some guy just put up a one hour video with Kevin Nash which is a fantastic watch. And I heard an interview with RVD (IYH Radio) a little while ago which was cool as well, and all at the end of a broadband connection instantly. But for whatever reason, I swear some people just aren't happy, and they pretty much wish death on this film which I've always found really creepy tbh. But I just get the feeling that the people who go on and on about Memoirs (all the while saying how they don't care about it) are personally involved somehow, disgruntled, or just annoyed it did get mainstream press when they feel it shouldn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thought this documentary was just awful. I just wasn't engaged and it's just a series of interviews. Nothing of note, in my opinion :o It's above 1001 reasons not to be a pro wrestler or whatever that documentary is, chatting to people in the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

^ Couldn't agree more. That song between the scenes is just the worst.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloodstained-Memoirs-DVD/dp/B005GEXAGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317681168&sr=8-1

Its now on Amazon for pre sale - it will be on DVD later this month. I guess the App was a short term thing to get people talking again??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSHEIHTDznU

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Worst Documentary ever!
    The Interviews arent connected which was mentioned above!
    The interviewer doesnt express his views at all, At least in Beyond the Mat Barry Blaustein gave us his views and why he was making a doc and why he likes wrestling in the first place!

Mick foley doesnt even talk to the camera if I remember correctly,
    Jericho just talks about his f**king band! not at all about the sport in question. (giving the title being a phrase to describe your life in the wrestling business )
    and that song.. oh god that song....

-Kenny- wrote: »
    Worst Documentary ever!
    The interviewer doesnt express his views at all, At least in Beyond the Mat Barry Blaustein gave us his views and why he was making a doc and why he likes wrestling in the first place!

But who want's to hear from film makers? I subscribe to their blog for that. As the advertising material associated with BM suggests - I want to hear from wrestlers.

Again with Beyond the Mat comparisons. I think the wrestling fans who come out with the "worst thing ever" "absolute garbage" etc etc are not basing their opinion on the merit, or lack thereof of the content itself. (There is a reason the documentary picked up all the critical acclaim it did from both wrestling and non wrestling press, it wasn't an accident)

I'm really into "documentary" as a film making type - and there are literally thousands of different documentary formats. Just because it isn't in the vain of the beloved (and dated due to countless imitations!) Beyond the Mat. As far as comparrisons go, somebody on another forum suggested it was a similar to the WWE's excellent Fab 4 documentary: http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xtnuc_realrap18_fab-4/1#videoId=x85znq Now wrestling fans loved that as it gave a great insight into the four performers. Nobody ever argues it isn't a documentary because its interview heavy. None of the interviews were related to each other. Now forward wind ten years and we have BM. Nine wrestlers, better production values, a "shoot" product where the guys (and girl) can say whatever they want yet certain circles want to constantly go out of their way to moan about it. Constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Needing Help

Bloodstained Memoirs is fantastic. Looking forward to the DVD release.

Welcome to PW boards Needing Help! :)

DVD Cover

bloodstainedmemoirscove.png

List of DVD extras: http://www.myspace.com/thebloodstainedmemoirs/blog/544493589

Cool list of extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

http://www.pinfall.co.uk/

Pretty good imo.

Sorry, I don't hang around here much anymore, so I just did a quick search for the site and no results.

What's the craic with the Bloodstained Memoirs DVD? How come it's only being released now?

• Advertisement

Bloodstained Memoirs came out today on DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloodstained-Memoirs-DVD/dp/B005GEXAGG

Great documentary with Jericho, Ultimo Dragon, Great Muta, Christian, Piper, RVD and others. Disc has a load of cool extras too.

blood_stained_poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

FreezeUp wrote: »
    Bloodstained Memoirs came out today on DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloodstained-Memoirs-DVD/dp/B005GEXAGG

Great documentary with Jericho, Ultimo Dragon, Great Muta, Christian, Piper, RVD and others. Disc has a load of cool extras too.

I've heard it was sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Yep, it sucks. Doesn't talk to anyone long enough to cover anything interesting, Jericho talks almost exclusively about Fozzy and, IIRC, Foley's bit is basically just them recording him attending an autograph signing for the Hardcore Diaries.
    Pretty much every Highspots shoot interview I've listened to has been more interesting.

It's a horrible "documentary". You seem to mention it a lot on here FreezeUp, did you have some involvement in it?

It's a horrible "documentary". You seem to mention it a lot on here FreezeUp, did you have some involvement in it?

No, just been a long time fan since the early day's of its MySpace many moons ago when they used to announce who would be in it one wrestler by one, with a little write up of the interview. So I know how much hard work went into this so its something I want to give my backing to.

I'm glad you enjoyed the doc broski, but there's another thread (Wrestling Documentaries) and the response is generally negative to it. I'm sure it was very difficult producing and editing the doc, but the consensus (including myself) agree that there are far better wrestling documentaries with better expounded themes and narrative.

edit : moved the chat to the Wrestling docs thread.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm glad you enjoed the doc broski, but there's another thread (Wrestling Documentaries) and the response is generally negative to it. I'm sure it was very difficult producing and editing the doc, but the consensus (including myself) agree that there are far better wrestling documentaries with better expounded themes and narrative.

Oh absolutely, BTM and WWS are two far better documentaries. But that doesn't make Bloodstained Memoirs any less great in my opinion, and is easily the best wrestling documentary produced in the last ten years.

Anyone heard anything about Memphis Heat yet? I think it should be out pretty soon.

1317390178-memphis-heat.jpg

Would Wrestling Road Diaries (Cabana/Bryan) count as a documentary? Made me turn the corner on Cabana, along with a great slice of what it must be like as an Indie wrestler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Memphis Heat seems to be already out, I've seen a fair few people talk about getting it today.

Wrestling Road Diaries is fantastic, considering the length and major budget constraints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Needing Help

FreezeUp wrote: »

blood_stained_poster.jpg

Got my DVD today. Just finished watching the extras as I'm too tired to watch main feature. I'm putting this in my top 5 wrestling DVDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Does anyone know what the story with "Card Subject to change" is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Does anyone know what the story with "Card Subject to change" is?

Its subject to change...

attachment.php?attachmentid=14947&d=1308157953

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Thank you, I'll be here all night. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Would Wrestling Road Diaries (Cabana/Bryan) count as a documentary? Made me turn the corner on Cabana, along with a great slice of what it must be like as an Indie wrestler.

I actually thought this was boring a fúck and I am a fan of both Danielson and Colt.

Had to stop watching the Wrestlemania documentary. Its just a horrible recap of the highlights of the manias up to when it was made. Dreadful. Do not waste your time.

Really? oh that's a shame. I quite like both of those docs. Was watching the Big Show and Jake Roberts WWE docs recently. Enjoyable; although Jake's is quite sad, it seems his demons are more well known than his early WWF popularity. Was kinda sad to hear Vince lamenting that he wished Jake was clean, he could've earned millions and been a massive star. Big Show's is quite light-hearted. Check out the extras to hear Triple H constantly recount the fat insults he'd hurl at Big Show. B a star indeed!

Big Show's is quite light-hearted. Check out the extras to hear Triple H constantly recount the fat insults he'd hurl at Big Show. B a star indeed!

Where is that, Jay?

There's some bloopers/bits cut from interviews on the extras portion; showing his wife, mates, etc. Disc 1 special features i believe. They had a lot of HHH delighting a little too much recounting fat stories about Show.

They had a lot of HHH delighting a little too much recounting fat stories about Show.

What an odd thing to put on your dvd!

This one?

wwe-big-show-dvd.png

• Advertisement

That's the one. I enjoyed seeing the WCW footage. I can't account for it's accuracy but how else would you recount the monster truck match etc! THE YET-TAY! They get a little emotional at the end talking about his weight (save Tripper cackling at his own jokes & stories). You can check out the DVD listings from silvervision as to what's on the dvd.

Oh boys you all really, really need to see Memphis Heat I am sure many of you have heard Bryan Alverez and Dave Meltzer enthuse about it in terms of a historical snap shot. I agree with all those reasons but it is also it is really, really FUN. Like the more whimsical and upbeat moments of Lipstick & Dynamite.

If you only ever seen Jimmy Hart in WWF & WCW. Oh boy.

yeah everyone's been raving about it; it's on the list. hopefully i'll get to it this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

^^^

There's a full review of it coming in the next issue of FSM for anyone interested.
    All I'll say for now is I agree completely with Rovert. The Jimmy Hart material is astounding....

Interesting posts about Bloodstained Memoirs on their Twitter / Facebook:
    The majority of the photography used on the Bloodstained Memoirs poster / DVD cover came from Fin Martin, editor of Power Slam magazine.
    One of my favourite reviews of Bloodstained Memoirs came from Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine, which is the worlds longest running wrestling magazine.
    The Mick Foley shoot was organised in under 24 hours - that's why there was no time to set up an interview. But if you go back and watch the scene, it has one of the more elaborate filming set ups. Probably 50 different POV's in ten minutes. Lot's of storyboarding went in to that.
    When the Chris Jericho trailer was put online, it was the #3 most viewed film trailer that week on YouTube. Harry Potter took the 1 and 2 spots.
    To me, the best thing about making Bloodstained Memoirs was having breakfast with a Playboy cover model. Smash! Dave
    The business card Jimmy Snuka gave me on the day of our interview had a leopard skin background.
    Currently #9 in the Amazon wrestling section. A massive thank you to everybody!
    I've often thought that the people who moan that there isn't blood in Bloodstained Memoirs are the same people who moan about a lack of trains in Trainspotting. Dave
    We were originally due to film the Keiji Muto interview in a toy museum, brandishing Japanese artefacts. The church we wound up filming in was the same church my Grandfathers funeral service was held in about a decade earlier. Dave
    Chris Jericho loved his introduction in Bloodstained Memoirs. I know that because I was sat next to him the first time he saw it. Dave
    I wanted Al Snow to wear a suit in Bloodstained Memoirs, but he wanted to wear smart / casual clothes - once he saw the set he agreed with me. Dave
    The Rob Van Dam interview almost didn't happen, due to the fact Rob's then representation was putting a stop to interviews due to the Chris Benoit double murder / suicide that summer.
    The interview with Christian was delayed as Christian realised he had lost his phone just as we were about to begin.
    Roddy Piper's daughter was sitting just out of shot during our interview. Dave
    Mick Foley said to me once in an Email that he gets asked about Bloodstained Memoirs a lot. Dave
    Ultimo Dragon interview: my English questions were proposed to Dragon by an Italian man, in Spanish, and relayed back to me in English. It was an odd system which ensured the (not completely fluent in English) Dragon understood all questions perfectly. Dave

Watched most of Orton's DVD (Evolution of a Predator) -- I'm not a fan of his these days but the DVD is very well made - it sifts between the build up to WM27 (Orton vs Punk) and a biography of his life, generally done as a shoot, which is really refreshing. Cool to see him on the road, going to radio shows, tv shows, backstage chatting, introducing his family etc. Good stuff WWE. If you're a fan at all I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

barura wrote: »
    http://www.pinfall.co.uk/

Pretty good imo.

Sorry, I don't hang around here much anymore, so I just did a quick search for the site and no results.

Enjoyed this doc..,id say it took some balls or self-delusions to get in the ring with the other guys.Might see AJ Hazard in WWE someday,jaysus!

Just finished watching a documentary I just happened to come across called "Card Subject to Change".

It's about the indie scene and focuses on several stars, such as Trent Acid, Rhett Titus and older guys like Kamala and Kevin Sullivan.

I really enjoyed it as depressing as it was at points. Sad to see the deterioration in Trent Acid as it progresses, especially knowing what was to come.

It actually features the same indie that was in the National Geographic documentary too. I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,884 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No better wrestler for a zombie thread to come back to life.

This is one of the best wrestling doc's I have seen if you get a chance to see do.

Nail in the Coffin: The Fall and Rise of Vampiro

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

No better wrestler for a zombie thread to come back to life.

This is one of the best wrestling doc's I have seen if you get a chance to see do.

Nail in the Coffin: The Fall and Rise of Vampiro

Where is it available to watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,884 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I watched it on Tubi which is a free streaming site but you need a VPN it's got loads of wrestling docs on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement