Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Documentaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

rovert wrote: »
    I hate this form of Wrestling "Documentaries" just a random collection of interview clips with zero narrative or structure.

See (actually dont): 101 Reasons Not to be a Pro Wrestler

I heard it was compared to 'Beyond the mat' and when i heard that they had
    Ultimo Dragon and Jericho i was like "awh man defiantly watching this" All jericho does is talk about his F**king Band !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

-Kenny- wrote: »
    What ever you hear . don't watch Bloodstained Memoirs ...It's muck

Lol, you just resurrected a memory I thought I had suppressed!

Christ it was god awful, Al Snow hosting and that ****ty song betweem each transition! Worst wrestling related thing I've ever seen and I watch TNA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

What ever you hear . don't watch Bloodstained Memoirs ...It's muck
    yeah agree with you there, i fell for the hype and was looking forward to that and completley left down after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

thought it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread..........

the ultimate let down.......the build for it was great, but the DVD is actually just a whimper......watch the trailer if you must, it pretty much condenses it into 90 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

:p 1 minute in...Oh Christ the Agony of this in the Doc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I heard it was compared to 'Beyond the mat' and when i heard that they had
    Ultimo Dragon and Jericho i was like "awh man defiantly watching this" All jericho does is talk about his F**king Band !!!

It had SO much hype on UKFF and places like that, I heard budget figures & stories of backers, it was delayed FOREVER etc

And it was an uninteresting collection interviews none of which had any relation to each other.

Totally forgot about Gaea Girls produced by the BBC. Anyone else see it? Any thought? It is a must watch:

This is touring theaters in the States and pray for a DVD release:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Rise and Fall Of ECW is quality, probably my favourite wrestling DVD. Multiple people have recommended Wrestlin Road Diaries..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This is touring theaters in the States and pray for a DVD release:

The DVDVR Memphis set would be a lovely acompaniment to this I'd imagine.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The DVDVR Memphis set

kayfabe
    Yes

NXT3 isnt a great accompaniment to Gaea Girls however

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is "Bloodstained" New Jacks effort?

gimmick wrote: »
    Is "Bloodstained" New Jacks effort?

No it's something else entirely, it's just a collection of random interviews with various wrestlers and a Mick Foley signing in a WH Smith if I remember correctly. Awful stuff.

I actually have New Jacks one too, New Jack:Hardcore I think it is, it's been a long while since I watched it but I remember it being ok. The Gypsy Joe incident was something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'101 reasons not to be a pro wrestler'.

Features the likes of DDP , Vampiro , New Jack, Rikishi and a drunk/high Chyna all giving shoot style interviews. It drags on a little long but is worthwhile watching in my opinion. AFAIK its still posted up on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

just finshed watching the legends of wrestling roundtable on the nwo, bit of a let down, nash as always came across as personable and likeable but they didn't ask him the hard questions the way they asked bischoff on the monday night wars one

don't know if the legends of wrestling roundtables one's really count as documentaries but they are quite good if very historically skewed at times

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

As expected Nash did just talk about money! It was nice of him to pretend to care about leaving WWF, but it sounds like he just was out to extract as much money from whoever'd pay him. Everything always came back to money, which is definitely true, but just a bit.....lame, you know?

Something that irked me is that Nash said "Goldberg's win streak was a dud, ya gotta cut that off asap, get the belt off him". Jesus Christ! In the rise and fall of WCW DVD, everyone gave out about cutting that streak short. (And the ridiculously inflated numbers). No-one challenged him with that.

Still quite enjoyed it though. Those roundtables are a good watch, even if they rare push hard questions. Except for "let me butt in, and point directly at you" Michael PS Hayes.

Well I ended up watching two documentaries over the weekend and they couldn't be any more different to each other!

Wrestling Road Diaries was the first and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have so much respect for Bryan Danielson, he seems like one of the nicest guys and he definitely has his head screwed on right.

It was interesting to see his outlook on life and how wrestling is not the be all and end all for him, which is even more surprising considering how talented he is at it.

Next up was The Backyard which looked at several backyard federations around the states. It's amazing the stuff some of them get up to, by amazing I mean absolutely retarded.

Some of the guys in it are unbelievable, there's one kid in charge of one of the feds that's like Vince McMahon, he's not even acting and it's hilarious. He even has some 8 year old kids wrestling for him. Best quote: "I don't want us to be the WCW of backyard wrestling".

It's definitely worth a watch as I haven't laughed that much in a while. I listened to the podcast rovert linked to directly after watching it too and it added to the enjoyment.

Think I'll try Wrestling with Shadows next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Few I have on DVD:

Spectacular Legacy of the AWA

Most powerful families in wrestling

The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling

Pretty interesting ones, especially the AWA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Is The Backyard available to watch online?

Is The Backyard available to watch online?

It is indeed: http://www.blinkbox.com/Free/Movie/8351/The-Backyard

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Beyond the Mat is probably the high water mark when it comes to wrestling documentaries ... wasn't a big fan of Wrestling with Shadows, found it a bit boring for the most part, the montreal screw job saved it.

I don't think anybody has mentioned Lipstick & Dynamite ... a documentary about women's wrestling in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's. Features people like the fabulous Moolah, Mae Young, and Penny Banner.

Found it to be very interesting, and it's an aspect of pro wrestling that is often ignored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1biEpinrhY

• Advertisement

Beyond the Mat is probably the high water mark when it comes to wrestling documentaries ... wasn't a big fan of Wrestling with Shadows, found it a bit boring for the most part, the montreal screw job saved it.

I don't think anybody has mentioned Lipstick & Dynamite ... a documentary about women's wrestling in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's. Features people like the fabulous Moolah, Mae Young, and Penny Banner.

Found it to be very interesting, and it's an aspect of pro wrestling that is often ignored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1biEpinrhY

Yeah probably a documentary that people on here would probably learn the most from. Colm ever read Dave Meltzer's Moolah obituary? That's a friggin eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Yeah probably a documentary that people on here would probably learn the most from. Colm ever read Dave Meltzer's Moolah obituary? That's a friggin eye opener.

Haven't read that .... did a quick google for it, but couldn't find it.

But yeah, a pretty educational documentary. I'd rate it above Wrestling With Shadows. Most of the WWE ones I'd enjoy, but they tend to be more about nostalgia than anything else, which is grand, but rarely is there anything of substance.

Haven't read that .... did a quick google for it, but couldn't find it.

You wouldnt have forgot it if you did - white slavery, forced lesbanism the whole nine yards.
    The documentary "Memphis Heat: The True Story of Memphis Wrasslin," a four-hour collection will be released on DVD on 10/1. You can preorder it at http://www.memphis-heat.com

Yippee

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. Just watched it as its on sale for a couple of quid (never going to pay the ten they wanted previously) and I must say it was very well made, so well played to the guys who made it. An iPhone App for this went up this week, anybody checked that out? (**** iPhones) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlB4C0jdgK8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jaysis I got an awful fright there.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jaysis I got an awful fright there.:eek:

Jumped straight to page 2 and saw SR at the top of the page? Same here :eek:

It promised this:
    153525715_22180cc35e.jpg

And gave us this:
    TheHomer.jpg

What did it promise exactly Rovert? I remember fans hyping it up prior to it being put on their site, then being upset that it was interview heavy and not Wrestling with Shadowsesque. But when did they imply it was going to be anything other than what it is when the seven or eight trailers that preceded it implied nothing of the sort. I even remember subscribing to their blog which talked in depth about the interviews and nothing else? (EDIT: See very first post with OP saying this will be Beyond the Mat 2)

I think £10 to watch something only on my computer was a stupid move, and like I say I was never going to pay that. But I've always been interested to watch it for myself as all the press gave it great reviews and I've seen people on forums hate on it. But if you look at the strong points of this - the quality of the filming (well on par with WWE) and the novelty of that quality giving full on shoots - what is there to hate exactly apart from your own high expectations? Its a fun two hour watch.

They never promised a Boxster, they didn't deliver a Homer, its a programme

<snip>

I dont want to seem dismissive or brush offy just that it isnt what I call at least a documentary. All the interviews arent really connected and their is no real narrative.

In the age of shoot interviews and podcasts the presentation is really dated overall. I didnt learn anything really.

• Advertisement

Ah gotcha. I see what you mean now. Yeah I get what you mean with the podcasts. I do think we live in a bit of a Golden age for content - for instance some guy just put up a one hour video with Kevin Nash which is a fantastic watch. And I heard an interview with RVD (IYH Radio) a little while ago which was cool as well, and all at the end of a broadband connection instantly. But for whatever reason, I swear some people just aren't happy, and they pretty much wish death on this film which I've always found really creepy tbh. But I just get the feeling that the people who go on and on about Memoirs (all the while saying how they don't care about it) are personally involved somehow, disgruntled, or just annoyed it did get mainstream press when they feel it shouldn't have.

Advertisement