Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - is the Galway Bypass necessary? (thread split)

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

dubhthach wrote: »
    Personally I don't see it as an "either or" situation, I'm fully in support of both the GCOB, improved cycle facilities and bus lanes

There may be some people implacably opposed to either the GCOB or its chosen route, because of environmental considerations.

But has anyone in this forum framed it as either/or in the manner you suggest above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

antoobrien wrote: »
    Yes, but you as usual haven't addressed the question I asked - how are these good for motorists?

"As usual"? Please desist.

I'm still mulling over my response to your re-submitted list -- another perspective is gradually suggesting itself.

Btw, I have asked you this question at least twice and you have not responded: can you name a single solitary one-way street in all of Galway City that exempts cyclists?

While you're at it, can you identify a single solitary banned right turn in all of Galway City that also exempts cyclists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

antoobrien wrote: »
    For the record, I'm waiting to see if Tremelo (or any of the other mods) will come back to me about anything I've said on here because I'm aware that there are a few things I've said are borderline (despite trying to stay on the right side of the posting rules), but I'm willing to take the risk because I believe that they need to be said.

No infraction for you or anyone else.

More generally, having just spent the past three hours reading through the last 300 posts, I think that this is an incredibly circular thread, with the same points being raised again and again and again. And again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

15 minutes to cross the quin at 11am due to some quite minor works. Can't imagine what it was like at 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

MYOB wrote: »
    15 minutes to cross the quin at 11am due to some quite minor works. Can't imagine what it was like at 8am

I presume they are doing these works at non peak times?

See the following: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/260811_02.html

Here is what is planned for next week at this junction.
    N6/Newcastle Road (N59) Junction

Works at the N6/Newcastle Road (N59) Junction will continue next week and remain in place until October 1, 2011. To facilitate these works, members of the public should note that it will be necessary to close the Newcastle Road (N59) at the N6 junction to vehicular traffic wishing to access or cross the N6 over the period Tuesday September 27 to Saturday October 1, 2011. To minimise disruption to traffic, the road will remain open at peak times and a significant portion of works will be undertaken at night-time. Road users should be aware that the Newcastle Road (N59) through the junction will be closed from 10:00 to 16:00 and from 19:00 to 07:00. Alternative routes for traffic will be via signposted diversion routes.

Diversion Routes

Traffic approaching the junction from the University Road side of the junction are requested to divert at the Newcastle Road/Old Seamus Quirke Road junction and travel via the Browne Roundabout (to the rear of University College Hospital). Traffic approaching the junction from the Moycullen Road are requested to divert onto the Thomas Hynes Road at the junction adjacent to the Westwood Hotel and travel via the Browne Roundabout (at the rear of University College Hospital). The Newcastle Road approaching the junction from both sides will be open to local traffic but through traffic will not be permitted (except emergency vehicles). A map of these diversion routes is available below.
    Download Drawing: Temporary Closing of Roads - N6/Newcastle Road Junction (PDF, 2,401 kb)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

they're closing at non peak times. Its down to one lane or otherwise delayed at all times.

My journey was, as usual, required and mode unshiftable.

Bumping this as the topic is now relevant again with the project now moving forward

Bumping this as the topic is now relevant again with the project now moving forward

Will need a thread title change so - no longer a bypass or a motorway.

N6 City Ring Road necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

What is the difference between a thread titled "M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]" and a thread titled "M6 - is the Galway City Ring Road necessary"?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It is a motorway. Ballymoneen Road to Coolagh at least anyway. The non motorway remainder is effectively a Barna bypass.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    It is a motorway. Ballymoneen Road to Coolagh at least anyway. The non motorway remainder is effectively a Barna bypass.

Nope it is not. It will be the N6 not M6. Will be M6 from Oranmore junction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nope it is not. It will be the N6 not M6. Will be M6 from Oranmore junction.

It's motorway from the existing M6 to west of the N59 junction. This is made absolutely clear in all documentation published recently

Check the newspaper notice on the website and it shows you a map of what's motorway and what's not

Advertisement