Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 plug_in_baby

I've a couple of friends who did it, and two that did history and G&R for first year, and they all chose G&R for second year.
    There is a lot of reading from what I remember, but they all loved the course and the lecturers. They referred to every lecture as story time :p
    Sorry, I don't know much about the actual course work.

Thanks a mill for the info tootyflooty:) That's great to hear they loved the course, that's exactly what I wanted to find out. There's some info on the coursework on the website but I just wanted to see if people actually liked doing the course. I can see now that a good few do :) I think iv'e settled on G&R now so;) Thanks again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Hi everyone, could anyone give me any info on what Greek and Roman Civ. is like?
    I'm thinking of doing it as my third subject (Along with English and Music) instead of history. I really think i'd like G&R but i'd just like a student's perspective.
    Did anyone do both G&R and history? If so which did you perfer?

Thanks a mil in advance :)
    I enjoyed Greek & Roman so much I wish I could've done it as a Single Honours degree. My other subjects felt like work, G&R was pure pleasure most of the time. Obviously some modules are better/more enjoyable than others, but it depends on your personal interests. It's also a great course because there's a wide mixture of straight history, politics, epic poetry, drama, even a couple of novels and some anthropology and a little philosophy. No matter what you're into there's bound to be a part of the course you'll love to bits. And the department are incredibly helpful and friendly.

My experience was that if you turn up to the lectures, take notes (and actually read them once in a while) you can certainly get by without reading very much. If you want to do well, just like any other subject, you have to do the reading, a good chunk of it at least. If you want to get a first... takes a little luck, maybe a little love for the subject, lots of reading, and an ability to link things together, see the big picture... just like in many other subjects.

It's pure escapism for me... really hoping to do an MA in it.

Don't forget you'll have a couple of weeks to check out a bunch of different subjects. My first two weeks in first year I was attending classes for five different subjects before I decided on the three I wanted. What you pick at registration is not necessarily what you're stuck with for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 plug_in_baby

mickstupp wrote: »
    I enjoyed Greek & Roman so much I wish I could've done it as a Single Honours degree. My other subjects felt like work, G&R was pure pleasure most of the time. Obviously some modules are better/more enjoyable than others, but it depends on your personal interests. It's also a great course because there's a wide mixture of straight history, politics, epic poetry, drama, even a couple of novels and some anthropology and a little philosophy. No matter what you're into there's bound to be a part of the course you'll love to bits. And the department are incredibly helpful and friendly.

My experience was that if you turn up to the lectures, take notes (and actually read them once in a while) you can certainly get by without reading very much. If you want to do well, just like any other subject, you have to do the reading, a good chunk of it at least. If you want to get a first... takes a little luck, maybe a little love for the subject, lots of reading, and an ability to link things together, see the big picture... just like in many other subjects.

It's pure escapism for me... really hoping to do an MA in it.

Don't forget you'll have a couple of weeks to check out a bunch of different subjects. My first two weeks in first year I was attending classes for five different subjects before I decided on the three I wanted. What you pick at registration is not necessarily what you're stuck with for the year.

Thanks so much for the info mickstupp, really appreciate it :)!! I think i'll really like doing G&R now, sounds like it'd suit me to a T :p And it's encouraging to hear that some of the students love it that much. I'll try out history and maybe Anthropology for the first while too I think.
    Thanks again and hope you get to do tour MA in it :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Hey can anyone help me out with this one...

I'm going into first year biological&biomedical science, obviously you have to take maths in first year... But I want to drop it ASAP, am I able to do an Arts subject as my extra module, and still drop it after first year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Don't think you can carry an Arts subject into second year with that course. Be careful because you'll end up having to do maths in second year if you make the wrong choice. There's a maths support centre on campus that provides free walk in help with maths so make sure to make good use of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

lalee17 wrote: »
    Hey can anyone help me out with this one...

I'm going into first year biological&biomedical science, obviously you have to take maths in first year... But I want to drop it ASAP, am I able to do an Arts subject as my extra module, and still drop it after first year?

Nope you have to do Maths in second year if you take an Arts subject, if you pick a Science subject you can drop either that subject or Maths in second year.

Also, if you only pass the other Science subject by compensation then you will have to take maths in second year. So pick something you won't struggle at if you're really intent on not doing maths in second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Did anyone go to Frobel here? Or should I ask in the TCD forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maynoo41

Hi, I am a mature student returning into Second year English and Sociology after many years. Because I am going into 2nd year I won't be registering until the 23rd. Therein lies my dilemma. I have no access to moodle etc. so don't really know what happens on the first week. I have managed to get a broad outline of my lectures etc. However I see from the timetable that some of the optional modules from Sociology conflict with my english lectures. What is the story with this? Also anyone doing English, I believe I have to go online and choose certain seminars / tutorials. When is this supposed to happen. Am I going to be too late doing this the second week. If anyone can advise me on this I would appreciate it. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

maynoo41 wrote: »
    Hi, I am a mature student returning into Second year English and Sociology after many years. Because I am going into 2nd year I won't be registering until the 23rd. Therein lies my dilemma. I have no access to moodle etc. so don't really know what happens on the first week. I have managed to get a broad outline of my lectures etc. However I see from the timetable that some of the optional modules from Sociology conflict with my english lectures. What is the story with this? Also anyone doing English, I believe I have to go online and choose certain seminars / tutorials. When is this supposed to happen. Am I going to be too late doing this the second week. If anyone can advise me on this I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hiya :) I was in a somewhat similar situation last year, so hopefully I'll be able to help you out!

Having no access to moodle for the first week won't really be a huge problem. The lectures that week will only really be introductions anyway. However, if you do want access to the moodle pages beforehand, you should email the lecturers of the modules you plan on doing and ask them for the password to the moodle course pages.

With regards Sociology options clashing with English, you're just going to have to pick one of the ones that doesn't clash. There should be a good few that don't seeing as Sociology & English are a popular combo (I did them myself) :) There's no need to worry about signing up for an English seminar, as you don't have to sign up until a few weeks into the semester. So at that stage you will have everything sorted out!

If you have any problems with these, I suggest getting in touch with the department offices. They will be able to point you in the right direction :)

Thanks for that. At the moment 2 out of the 6 modules conflict and 1/2 of another one conflicts. The others unfortunately are all evening lectures which of course being a mother of 3 doesn't suit me either. I guess I will have to do what I can. and also the ones that conflict would be the modules I would be more interested in pursuing. didn't realise that there would be any conflicts at all. I suppose what I have to do is contact each department in the first week and seek out help and direction. No-one said it was going to be easy....

Why wait til the first week to contact the departments? Why don't you contact them now and explain your issues and worries?

Yeah was going to try to contact Sociology but on website it says that the admins are only contactable during term time! Was really hoping that the soc timetable would change, but I guess it won't be changing. I will have to contact them if not before the 19th, during the first week so that I can pin down my timetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

maynoo41 wrote: »
    Yeah was going to try to contact Sociology but on website it says that the admins are only contactable during term time! Was really hoping that the soc timetable would change, but I guess it won't be changing. I will have to contact them if not before the 19th, during the first week so that I can pin down my timetable.
    I'm pretty certain that there is at least one of the secretaries in the Sociology office outside term-time, so you should be able to get it sorted out early enough. Give them a ring next Monday morning and see :) The reason a few of the modules clash is because some of the modules are for Politics students, and they are generally held at the same time as English modules because Politics & English can't be studied together. This isn't always the case though, especially in 3rd year.

Yeh, that's rubbish, dunno why they have that on the site tbh, contact them Monday like the previous poster said. There's always someone manning the office no matter the time of year.

• Advertisement

Thanks to both of you. I will do that. However, now I am beginning to get really nervous about it all. It turns out I will have a lot on in the evenings which I was hoping was not going to be the case. I have a lot to think about now as regards organising for someone to mind the kids so I can get to my lectures.

Hey, don't stress about it until you find out what the story is. You're worrying about something you're not quite sure of at the moment :) Check with the dept, maybe it's possible to work around it. Maybe it's not and you'll have to choose other modules. But there are loads of people in Maynooth who have kids and money is tight with regards to child minding, all the departments understand this! Maynooth is the most mature student friendly university there is. So don't panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tzer

Does anyone here do computer science through arts? If so would you be able to give an idea of the average amount of lab hours for 2nd year? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Maybe I am a bit stupid but can anyone track down the Community and Youth timetable on the NUIM website? I can't even find the course never mind a timetable! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AJJ2010

Maybe I am a bit stupid but can anyone track down the Community and Youth timetable on the NUIM website? I can't even find the course never mind a timetable! Thanks

Well this is your course.
    It has a list of the modules for year one etc. Usually when you click into an individual module it lists the timetable for it at the bottom and what semester its on. This doesn't happen here for some reason. :rolleyes:

Try ringing the department office on Monday or send off an email now and ask for the first lecture time at the very least - you will get the full timetable then so dont worry! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 toby92

Might seem like a ridiculous question to ask, and probably the wrong topic as well, but does anyone have any idea when 2nd years are meant to register?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

toby92 wrote: »
    Might seem like a ridiculous question to ask, and probably the wrong topic as well, but does anyone have any idea when 2nd years are meant to register?

9th September. You'll do it online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I was told yesterday by the woman in the registrar's office to wait till the 10th, as it'll be clogged up with History and Geography students for some reason?

I was told yesterday by the woman in the registrar's office to wait till the 10th, as it'll be clogged up with History and Geography students for some reason?

They have to pick electives so will always be on as soon as it opens to get the good ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

We have competitive entry for modules, most classes capped at about 100, and is given on a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hey guys im doing a major/minor in i economics, and i'm heading to 2nd year.

I was about to registar and I noticed that i have to do economics as my compulsory subject and business studies as non compulsory subject.

I'm kinda disgusted at this as I want to ficus more on my economics.

Can i change from that Major/minor to a major itself in economics ?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

hey guys im doing a major/minor in i economics, and i'm heading to 2nd year.

I was about to registar and I noticed that i have to do economics as my compulsory subject and business studies as non compulsory subject.

I'm kinda disgusted at this as I want to ficus more on my economics.

Can i change from that Major/minor to a major itself in economics ?

thanks

Don't think you can unless you did maths in 1st year as that's what people did instead of business instead of doing a major/minor they did the normal finance and eci degree you can see the difference if you search it on courses @ nuim.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Don't think you can unless you did maths in 1st year as that's what people did instead of business instead of doing a major/minor they did the normal finance and eci degree you can see the difference if you search it on courses @ nuim.

FFs i'm getting one useless pile of ** degree.

I thought we were dropping business in 2nd year.

Those ****** deceived me.

FFs i'm getting one usekess pile of **** degree.

I thought we were dropping business in 2nd year.

Those ***** deceived me.

You could try talk to the department nicely and they might let you change.

This is directed at you but to people in general: Do your research BEFORE you get into a degree. Know what you do and don't need to do in advance so you don't find out at the last minute when it's too late

You could try talk to the department nicely and they might let you change.

This is directed at you but to people in general: Do your research BEFORE you get into a degree. Know what you do and don't need to do in advance so you don't find out at the last minute when it's too late

I pretty sure I saw it on the nuim website that the 3rd subject was for a year only.

I'll talk to them and see what happens.

• Advertisement

I pretty sure I saw it on the nuim website that the 3rd subject was for a year only.

I'll talk to them and see what happens.

It's a major/minor right? Then you only have two subjects. So your third subject is only for 1st year. What was your other subject? and what's the degree?

It's a major/minor right? Then you only have two subjects. So your third subject is only for 1st year. What was your other subject? and what's the degree?

the degree is Finance. course codeMH401

1st year I did Finance economics and business.

2nd year its giving me economics as my major which has 40credits then business as my minor for 20 credits.

the degree is Finance. course codeMH401

1st year I did Finance economics and business.

2nd year its giving me economics as my major which has 40credits then business as my minor for 20 credits.

According to the below...
    Students wishing to take B.A. Finance Joint Honours route must select Mathematics (MTF100) as Third Subject in 1st Year.

Student taking the B.A.Finance Major Minor route (see FINMM for details) take an Arts Subject as their Third Subject in 1st Year.

heffo was right by the looks of it!

I see. I knew maths would Stab me in the back some day, i didnt expect it soon.

Thanks for the help.

I see. I knew maths would Stab me in the back some day, i didnt expect it soon.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to had to have been the bearer of bad news!

Try talk to the dept anyway and see what you can do.
    Be nice and they might be too! :)

(that was not meant to rhyme...)

Sorry to had to have been the bearer of bad news!

Try talk to the dept anyway and see what you can do.
    Be nice and they might be too! :)

(that was not meant to rhyme...)

I sure will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dobbydarko

if you got good marks in your first year economics modules you might be able to switch into single honours economics, if that interests you. you have to be pretty into economics not to get sick of it doing that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Anyone got info on Second Year Maths? It's looking like the option if I get onto Biomed for 2nd Year repeat.

What do you want to know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Just how much more complicated it gets, how much more are you expected to remember for the exams, does it relate to first year stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I sure will.

Ifyou got a 2/1 average for economics in first year, ie 60 or more, you will be able to switch to single honours economics. That what I'm doing, heading into second year now, and I did English and sociology with my economics for first year

J.D.R wrote: »
    Ifyou got a 2/1 average for economics in first year, ie 60 or more, you will be able to switch to single honours economics. That what I'm doing, heading into second year now, and I did English and sociology with my economics for first year

feck I didnt,

missed out by 20 points

I am not worried about it anymore as my dad said the business stuff is as important as the rest.

I cant have them all.:D

DB21 wrote: »
    Just how much more complicated it gets, how much more are you expected to remember for the exams, does it relate to first year stuff?

Well I'm not sure why you'd be remembering stuff off for exams but yes, it gets harder obviously and it follows on from what you done last year. Remember to go to the MSC if you get into difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Computer science as part of the science degree, what's it like?

Any skills needed?

How do absolute beginners find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Computer science as part of the science degree, what's it like?

Any skills needed?

How do absolute beginners find it?

Depends what you mean by absolute beginners.
    If you've never seen a computer before and your afraid of them, it isn't for you.

If your interested in computers and how they work and some of the why's then it might be for you.

First year usually is a module on Programming, a module on Computers in general and a module on Computer Science (the logical machines and models which make all this stuff work).

Turn up to lectures and pay attention, turn up to labs and get your hands on the material and take it all home and play with it on your own machine and see where your not understanding it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm taking it now and really liking it.

Anyone any experience with first yeat Maths physics or Exp. physics?

I don't know which to pick and the former seems very formula based and confusing. I've only had one lecture aswell :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Thanks, I'm taking it now and really liking it.

Anyone any experience with first yeat Maths physics or Exp. physics?

I don't know which to pick and the former seems very formula based and confusing. I've only had one lecture aswell :confused:

Exp Physics is much much easier!! Neil Trappe is brilliant and the Astronomy Stuff is just learing off..

\few of my mates failed maths physics so up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

If you can regurgitate material then both MP and EP are easy enough to pass in first year. EP have their hand forced to start form a much lower level in first year than MP, so the material is easier maths wise. They move much faster than MP, but this isn't much of a problem in first year.

In subsequent years, EP jumps massively in difficulty and keeps the pace up. I never lost much sleep over MP, but EP was quite often a different story.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that whereas in first year EP might be the easier option, that is turned on it's head once you reach second year, so unless you're planning on dropping whichever of them you choose, you should think carefully about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

In English do you need to study Shakespeare for first year?

I bought the bundle and was shocked to see there was no Shakespearean drama in it.

lemansky wrote: »
    If you can regurgitate material then both MP and EP are easy enough to pass in first year. EP have their hand forced to start form a much lower level in first year than MP, so the material is easier maths wise. They move much faster than MP, but this isn't much of a problem in first year.

In subsequent years, EP jumps massively in difficulty and keeps the pace up. I never lost much sleep over MP, but EP was quite often a different story.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that whereas in first year EP might be the easier option, that is turned on it's head once you reach second year, so unless you're planning on dropping whichever of them you choose, you should think carefully about that.

I'll definitely be dropping whichever one I pick.... so, Maths physics it is. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement