Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maynoo41

Thanks for that. At the moment 2 out of the 6 modules conflict and 1/2 of another one conflicts. The others unfortunately are all evening lectures which of course being a mother of 3 doesn't suit me either. I guess I will have to do what I can. and also the ones that conflict would be the modules I would be more interested in pursuing. didn't realise that there would be any conflicts at all. I suppose what I have to do is contact each department in the first week and seek out help and direction. No-one said it was going to be easy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Why wait til the first week to contact the departments? Why don't you contact them now and explain your issues and worries?

Yeah was going to try to contact Sociology but on website it says that the admins are only contactable during term time! Was really hoping that the soc timetable would change, but I guess it won't be changing. I will have to contact them if not before the 19th, during the first week so that I can pin down my timetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

maynoo41 wrote: »
    Yeah was going to try to contact Sociology but on website it says that the admins are only contactable during term time! Was really hoping that the soc timetable would change, but I guess it won't be changing. I will have to contact them if not before the 19th, during the first week so that I can pin down my timetable.
    I'm pretty certain that there is at least one of the secretaries in the Sociology office outside term-time, so you should be able to get it sorted out early enough. Give them a ring next Monday morning and see :) The reason a few of the modules clash is because some of the modules are for Politics students, and they are generally held at the same time as English modules because Politics & English can't be studied together. This isn't always the case though, especially in 3rd year.

Yeh, that's rubbish, dunno why they have that on the site tbh, contact them Monday like the previous poster said. There's always someone manning the office no matter the time of year.

• Advertisement

Thanks to both of you. I will do that. However, now I am beginning to get really nervous about it all. It turns out I will have a lot on in the evenings which I was hoping was not going to be the case. I have a lot to think about now as regards organising for someone to mind the kids so I can get to my lectures.

Hey, don't stress about it until you find out what the story is. You're worrying about something you're not quite sure of at the moment :) Check with the dept, maybe it's possible to work around it. Maybe it's not and you'll have to choose other modules. But there are loads of people in Maynooth who have kids and money is tight with regards to child minding, all the departments understand this! Maynooth is the most mature student friendly university there is. So don't panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tzer

Does anyone here do computer science through arts? If so would you be able to give an idea of the average amount of lab hours for 2nd year? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Maybe I am a bit stupid but can anyone track down the Community and Youth timetable on the NUIM website? I can't even find the course never mind a timetable! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AJJ2010

Maybe I am a bit stupid but can anyone track down the Community and Youth timetable on the NUIM website? I can't even find the course never mind a timetable! Thanks

Well this is your course.
    It has a list of the modules for year one etc. Usually when you click into an individual module it lists the timetable for it at the bottom and what semester its on. This doesn't happen here for some reason. :rolleyes:

Try ringing the department office on Monday or send off an email now and ask for the first lecture time at the very least - you will get the full timetable then so dont worry! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 toby92

Might seem like a ridiculous question to ask, and probably the wrong topic as well, but does anyone have any idea when 2nd years are meant to register?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

toby92 wrote: »
    Might seem like a ridiculous question to ask, and probably the wrong topic as well, but does anyone have any idea when 2nd years are meant to register?

9th September. You'll do it online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I was told yesterday by the woman in the registrar's office to wait till the 10th, as it'll be clogged up with History and Geography students for some reason?

I was told yesterday by the woman in the registrar's office to wait till the 10th, as it'll be clogged up with History and Geography students for some reason?

They have to pick electives so will always be on as soon as it opens to get the good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

We have competitive entry for modules, most classes capped at about 100, and is given on a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hey guys im doing a major/minor in i economics, and i'm heading to 2nd year.

I was about to registar and I noticed that i have to do economics as my compulsory subject and business studies as non compulsory subject.

I'm kinda disgusted at this as I want to ficus more on my economics.

Can i change from that Major/minor to a major itself in economics ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

hey guys im doing a major/minor in i economics, and i'm heading to 2nd year.

I was about to registar and I noticed that i have to do economics as my compulsory subject and business studies as non compulsory subject.

I'm kinda disgusted at this as I want to ficus more on my economics.

Can i change from that Major/minor to a major itself in economics ?

thanks

Don't think you can unless you did maths in 1st year as that's what people did instead of business instead of doing a major/minor they did the normal finance and eci degree you can see the difference if you search it on courses @ nuim.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Don't think you can unless you did maths in 1st year as that's what people did instead of business instead of doing a major/minor they did the normal finance and eci degree you can see the difference if you search it on courses @ nuim.

FFs i'm getting one useless pile of ** degree.

I thought we were dropping business in 2nd year.

Those ****** deceived me.

FFs i'm getting one usekess pile of **** degree.

I thought we were dropping business in 2nd year.

Those ***** deceived me.

You could try talk to the department nicely and they might let you change.

This is directed at you but to people in general: Do your research BEFORE you get into a degree. Know what you do and don't need to do in advance so you don't find out at the last minute when it's too late

You could try talk to the department nicely and they might let you change.

This is directed at you but to people in general: Do your research BEFORE you get into a degree. Know what you do and don't need to do in advance so you don't find out at the last minute when it's too late

I pretty sure I saw it on the nuim website that the 3rd subject was for a year only.

I'll talk to them and see what happens.

• Advertisement

I pretty sure I saw it on the nuim website that the 3rd subject was for a year only.

I'll talk to them and see what happens.

It's a major/minor right? Then you only have two subjects. So your third subject is only for 1st year. What was your other subject? and what's the degree?

It's a major/minor right? Then you only have two subjects. So your third subject is only for 1st year. What was your other subject? and what's the degree?

the degree is Finance. course codeMH401

1st year I did Finance economics and business.

2nd year its giving me economics as my major which has 40credits then business as my minor for 20 credits.

the degree is Finance. course codeMH401

1st year I did Finance economics and business.

2nd year its giving me economics as my major which has 40credits then business as my minor for 20 credits.

According to the below...
    Students wishing to take B.A. Finance Joint Honours route must select Mathematics (MTF100) as Third Subject in 1st Year.

Student taking the B.A.Finance Major Minor route (see FINMM for details) take an Arts Subject as their Third Subject in 1st Year.

heffo was right by the looks of it!

I see. I knew maths would Stab me in the back some day, i didnt expect it soon.

Thanks for the help.

I see. I knew maths would Stab me in the back some day, i didnt expect it soon.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to had to have been the bearer of bad news!

Try talk to the dept anyway and see what you can do.
    Be nice and they might be too! :)

(that was not meant to rhyme...)

Sorry to had to have been the bearer of bad news!

Try talk to the dept anyway and see what you can do.
    Be nice and they might be too! :)

(that was not meant to rhyme...)

I sure will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dobbydarko

if you got good marks in your first year economics modules you might be able to switch into single honours economics, if that interests you. you have to be pretty into economics not to get sick of it doing that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Anyone got info on Second Year Maths? It's looking like the option if I get onto Biomed for 2nd Year repeat.

What do you want to know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Just how much more complicated it gets, how much more are you expected to remember for the exams, does it relate to first year stuff?

Advertisement