Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Spraying

Options
  • 13-09-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I'm interested in buying a spray gun to respray my car. It has to be a good one which is big to do the whole car ( it needs to be totally resprayed not just a touch up). Could anyone recommend a website or a place to buy one Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is it your main driver and a good car? Have you ever done this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXCivicMadXx

I havnt done it before but have a project car to practice on

I would suggest you do a LOT of practice before going near your daily driver if that's the one you're doing.

There's a lot of techniques you can use to get a proper finish. You should read up on them before starting and while in the process.

Also, don't be fooled, getting a proper finish takes a lot of work and a lot of time. Hence why bodyshops are expensive. The majority of the price they charge is for labour (prepping, sanding etc.)

i have studied alot about it and i know what is involved all i need is the gun and im ready

Have you checked your local motor factors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

http://www.vinnybyrnestore.com/ These guys do one day training also, I was considering doing it sometime! Just do some homework on products and prices, these spray guns can get very expensive, I guess its a case of getting what you pay for, as with most things in the auto trade!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

Dont go too mad on price if you're only going to use it for one car. Most of the guns you can get in a motor factors or online should be ok for amateur use. Theres also a few other issues, like have you got a compressor, what capacity is it, have you got a decent water trap, what type of paint are you going to use, do you have the correct protective equipment, have you got a garage or will you be doing it outdoors. It'll soon be too cold to spray a car in an unheated environment. You will need a lot of practice. Its easy enough to get an 80% decent result, its very difficult to get a 100% finish first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

is the car metalic or not. i would suggest a sealey gold suction feed with a 1.8 nozzle and use 2k paint if not metalic. gun should about 40 euro

is the car metalic or not. i would suggest a sealey gold suction feed with a 1.8 nozzle and use 2k paint if not metalic. gun should about 40 euro

Cheers but do you know where to buy the equipment

and would a 50Litre Compressor do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

any good motor factors. 50l will do but it may take a bit longer stopping to let pressure build up. with that set up and first time i would take off doors wings bonnet lie them flat and spray one at a time

Hi im wanting to start spraying my project cars. i have studied and know how to do it but i need equipment. i need to know what liter compressor i will need i was thinking of getting a 50liter one. it that ok ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

PM Owen that posts here. He is a expert in all that.

Where would i find Owen in a big place like this

Thanks man i really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You got an answer in the other thread. Why 2 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Where would i find Owen in a big place like this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=38076

mickdw wrote: »
    You got an answer in the other thread. Why 2 thread?

more i have the more ill get answers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Okay, lots of mis information in this post. 2 pack paint is not available to the public these days except in certain circumstances. You'll end up buying water based paint, and using 2 pack lacquer. As in my PM to you (And repeated here for the benefit of anyone else thinking of doing this), you'll need a minimum of 2 guys. One with a 1.3mm setup for base coat (Water based, or metallic, doesn't make a diff these days), and a 1.5mm setup for lacquer. If you're using a high build polyester primer you'll most likely need a third separate gun for that with a 1.5mm setup too.

I shudder to think of the gun you'd buy for 40 Euro. Each of mine were nearly 15 times the price of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

more i have the more ill get answers

Please don't - threads merged

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the info owen i really appiciate it. Where do you buy ur paint ... in a shop or online ???

I have my own mixing system, but any good motorfactors should be able to mix paint for you.

Cheers man

Owen wrote: »
    I have my own mixing system, but any good motorfactors should be able to mix paint for you.

How much does paint cost

Generally about 100 a litre for mixed colours.

Generally about 100 a litre for mixed colours.

Would a liter do much on a car

Not a whole lot. You'd realistically need about 3 litres do properly do a car IMHO. And that's just base coat. You'd need a lot of primer, and a lot of lacquer too.

Not a whole lot. You'd realistically need about 3 litres do properly do a car IMHO. And that's just base coat. You'd need a lot of primer, and a lot of lacquer too.

Wow starting off is going to be Expensive

Sure is. Before you start, on paints alone you're going to be looking close to 300 ish, and you're also going to need a feck load of other stuff too, panel wipe - there's another 60 quid, thinners, about 30 quid, polish, machine polisher, lots of masking tape - 50 ish, plastic sheeting - 50 euro too, roll of scotchbrite - 40 euro, a mountain of sandpaper in different grades, and somewhere warm and dry to paint everything.

That's before you buy guns too, or a sanders, or heat guns/heat lamps. I can't see you getting out of it for less than 1k by the time you're done TBH. That's normally why people just give it to a body shop and pay 2k.

• Advertisement

Sure is. Before you start, on paints alone you're going to be looking close to 300 ish, and you're also going to need a feck load of other stuff too, panel wipe - there's another 60 quid, thinners, about 30 quid, polish, machine polisher, lots of masking tape - 50 ish, plastic sheeting - 50 euro too, roll of scotchbrite - 40 euro, a mountain of sandpaper in different grades, and somewhere warm and dry to paint everything.

That's before you buy guns too, or a sanders, or heat guns/heat lamps. I can't see you getting out of it for less than 1k by the time you're done TBH. That's normally why people just give it to a body shop and pay 2k.

:eek: Wow em i dont know what to do now ... wasnt expecting that ... i might just do wheels and save up the money i make off of that to pay for the rest since all me mates are boy racers ...

Advertisement