Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD

Options
  • 12-09-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭

Eurogamer re-review

Digital Foundry tech analysis

Sadly can't buy this on release day, so here's hoping discs are still available come Christmas time :pac:

And I never realised just how bad the framerate in SotC was while playing it (variable 14-30fps :eek:). It seems that the 1080p & 3D modes aren't well done for SotC HD, either (but run perfect for Ico HD)

Anyone else excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

can't wait myself ! shame they couldn't do a decent job of the Splinter Cell reboots also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ondafly wrote: »
    can't wait myself ! shame they couldn't do a decent job of the Splinter Cell reboots also :(
    In fairness, that was Ubisoft screwing up, not Bluepoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've never actually played either of these games. I remember there being a big stink kicked up about Shadow Of The Colossus, and how it was the best thing since sliced bread, but I simply never got around to playing it. I reckon I'll give them a shot this time around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No no, they got it completely wrong.

Shadow of the Colossus is BETTER than sliced bread, perhaps even better than cake....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be buying it simply because... I don't own a copy of Ico :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Some say the comment "You're not a real retro gamer until you own n" where n is any given retro game calculated to embarrass and infuriate the non-owner of n.
    Some say this type of comment is juvenile, unhelpful and deserving of a ban, a warning at least as it is as annoying as trolling.
    Some say these things and feel they are belonging to a higher order of game aficionado, a true connoisseur of videogame culture.

I am not one of those people!
    I can't believe you don't own Ico Retr0!
    We'll have to rename you "Mostly Retr0gamer" or "Almost Retr0gamer"!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Some say the comment "You're not a real retro gamer until you own n" where n is any given retro game calculated to embarrass and infuriate the non-owner of n.
    Some say this type of comment is juvenile, unhelpful and deserving of a ban, a warning at least as it is as annoying as trolling.
    Some say these things and feel they are belonging to a higher order of game aficionado, a true connoisseur of videogame culture.

I am not one of those people!
    I can't believe you don't own Ico Retr0!
    We'll have to rename you "Mostly Retr0gamer" or "Almost Retr0gamer"!

Retr0gamer lite?
    The free version of the Retr0gamer. It has most of the full version but is lacking in any real content once you scratch the surface.

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A real retrogamer wouldn't call the PS2 retro :P Anyway I own a copy on a disc that has 80 mins on it. I think it's a promo... cough.

A real retrogamer wouldn't call the PS2 retro :P

Touché sir, touché :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He has a Virtual Boy, & thus immune to any hardware slagging unfortunately :( I also miss when he had no NES too.

• Advertisement

Well, here is the old chestnut,
    Retro Vs Cult

A console can be retro.

A game can be retro too.

A console can be a cult machine, this is not conditional on being retro.

A game can be cult, see the last point.

Hence the Dreamcast is not retro but a cult machine.
    Games on the DC range from cult, Space Channel 5, Rez, to fairly current, Border Down.
    The PS2 is/was far too well accepted to be cult and far too recent to be retro but, still, cult games have appeared, Ico, SOTC being two, the aforementioned DC games also appeared on the PS2, did they cease to be cult once they appeared on the more popular console?

We are on a continuum here people.
    A continuously moving line of the present.
    This line denotes current gaming tech and defines future gaming expectations, yes.
    But it also is moving across the face of the history of games and consoles, defining classics, retro and cult as it moves.
    So, the 16 bit machines are most certainly all retro at this stage, with content both cult and classic.
    The likes of the Saturn is also considered retro but it had a long career as a cult machine, seeing as mostly 2D fighting game aficionados played it.
    The PSone/1 is arguably the lastest machine to achieve retro status, this is damaged somewhat by the ability of all PS3 consoles to play PS games natively. The console was never ever cult though, but many games on it were, the likes of Incredible Crisis, Kurushi, Kula World all qualify.
    The DC? Is it cult, certainly. Is it retro? A good question, not sure yet.
    And the PS2 living in the same frame as the DC must make it knocking on the door of retro-hood, although that could be another number of years yet.

You will feel almost certainly old when the person you are discussing games with had the 360 as their first console, very old indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really really hate when things are considered 'cult'. It's the biggest load of pretentious ****.

'hey look, I'm really really into something you've never heard of. I have in jokes you won't understand. I have to go now, my clique is waiting'.

If you ever go to a screening or something and there are people who would consider themselves cult fans (and know you're not), they'll really it is ramp it up, being more pretentious and circle jerky just to show you how awesome they are.

'Look at me, I know every bloody thing about this 'cult' film and I'm going to prove it. For this moment in time, that makes them better than you.'

I had one girl sitting in front of me at The Life of Brian pretty much saying every line word for word. As if her whole life had lead up to this moment and she was going to let everyone know. A few swift kicks to the back of her chair sorted that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'll be buying it too... but I'm also now going to go and stroke my original copy with the art cards...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How much are slim PS3s going for these days? Are they still half a million euro or are they a reasonable price?

I really do love these two games...very tempted to pick one up to give them another run through. Would that be mental?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had one girl sitting in front of me at The Life of Brian pretty much saying every line word for word. As if her whole life had lead up to this moment and she was going to let everyone know. A few swift kicks to the back of her chair sorted that out.

Ah now dont be doin that. You kick the back of the head not the chair

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

How much are slim PS3s going for these days? Are they still half a million euro or are they a reasonable price?

I really do love these two games...very tempted to pick one up to give them another run through. Would that be mental?

Buy a PS3 Slim just to play games you already own?? Your real name is Chester isn't it? :P

Solid_Gold_House.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

There is a thread in bargain alerts that says HMV are doing them for €199

I had a quick look in Gamestop there the other day as I wandered home and their pre-Owned PS3's were €250+

I wouldn't consider it mental, if I had the spare cash I would gladly pay it to get my hands on Ico again, I never owned it but played it loads in a mates, never got to play SoC either and would like to rectify it

Will have to win the lotto tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You could always wait for one of these - http://www.tomsguide.com/us/White-PS3-Release-date-Europe-Australia-north-america,news-12493.html

Price is a bit nuts though, given you already own the game :)

Buy two :D

Or is that just my thing :o

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Buy a PS3 Slim just to play games you already own?? Your real name is Chester isn't it? :P

Solid_Gold_House.jpg

Wanna go celebrate? I feel like Liver and Onions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I got this Ico\Shadow of Colossus in the door today from Sony. Ive never played either of them. what sort of games are they?

keithgeo wrote: »
    I got this Ico\Shadow of Colossus in the door today from Sony. Ive never played either of them. what sort of games are they?

Climbing simulators mostly. Although that's a great injustice to the emotional depth of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

masterpieces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Epic!!
    DinoRex wrote: »
    Climbing simulators mostly. Although that's a great injustice to the emotional depth of the games.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

DO NOT LOOK UP GUIDES!

You will be spoilered to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Have to admit I looked up guide for 1 or 2 colossi, just had a sh1t time trying to deal with them

So this bundle, out and all now? if it is im getting it in the morning

Have to admit I looked up guide for 1 or 2 colossi, just had a sh1t time trying to deal with them

So this bundle, out and all now? if it is im getting it in the morning

Sept' 30th I think. Really thinking about getting a PS3 and trading in my XBOX but Gears 3 is coming out in a few days, so many decisions to make:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I have both so im all set :P yeah gears 3 is out in a few days isnt it, forgot about that, Love when that happens

I had totally forgotten about it also, until last night when I had a dream I was playing gears 3 and drinking mercury, yes mercury the liquid metal, tasted horrible in the dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I owned both, didn't finish either of them. :(
    I'll be fixing that glitch in my gaming CV at the end of the month.

Advertisement