Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aidan's tip of the week

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

another thing on 2007 on vans , I had a real pain-in-the-h0le withone the other week... there's a screw on the plastic shield on the underside of the bonnet . Oh , such an innocent looking little thing......

kamorestuff074.jpg

kamorestuff073-1.jpg

guess what happens when this screw loosens... and falls out? It falls straight into the bonnet catch! and wedges it , so the bonnet pull doesn't work....:eek:

I had to remove the headlight , with the bonnet closed , which is almost impossible , and had to make a special bar to reach across the front and bully the bonnet catch open . What a mother-trucking horrible job....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I had to remove the headlight , with the bonnet closed , which is almost impossible

Did you use a hammer?

at one stage I was tempted...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

ya see if ya were a decent mechanic, ya wouldnt loose the screw :D

Bet the Fiat boys wouldnt loose it

OK now going to hide

Funny man! lol .. accusing me of being a good mechanic? How dare you! haha

Oh I didn't take it out! A customer just reported that the bonnet pull wasn't working , simple sez I , probably just the cable off of the pull handle... huh. As if I'd be so lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

simple sez I , probably just the cable off of the pull handle...

Lol, famous last words right there. :D

simple one today , any time you take a screw out of the body of the camper , to replace something or to fit an extra , always use Stainless steel screws . Ordinary ones , even galvanised ones , will rust , rot , and let in water .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

simple one today , any time you take a screw out of the body of the camper , to replace something or to fit an extra , always use Stainless steel screws . Ordinary ones , even galvanised ones , will rust , rot , and let in water .

Always put in some mastic into the hole before you put in the stainless screw. Do not use silacone !!!!!!!!!!!

I use Wurth Bond 'n Seal , it's never failed me . Or if I'm out of it , Sikalex 221 or 710 , dependant on application .

Just to let everyone know that i was chatting to Aidan_M_M earlier and be asked me to pass on that he's a bit over worked and under the weather at the moment. To top it all his broadband is giving him gip , so he's not getting online at the moment. he said if anyone needs anything just to ring the garage. ttfn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

How about a Finger's tip of the week so
    :D

Ummm *blush* let me think.... ok.

When it comes to wiring, please never ever use regular insulating tape to tape up joints. It will perish and fail over time, and the adhesive tends to leave from the back of the tape.

If at all, you should solder the joint and use heat shrink sleeving over them
    sleeving.jpg

or at the very least use scotchlocks.
    OJRE.jpg

Howzat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Aidan is out of a job:D

Hardly.....

Any info I have is from a build perspective and maybe a little mechanical maintenance.

General maintenance isn't my bag as of yet. Not had a working camper for long enough to have to maintain it yet.....

yet......

Ummm *blush* let me think.... ok.

When it comes to wiring, please never ever use regular insulating tape to tape up joints. It will perish and fail over time, and the adhesive tends to leave from the back of the tape.

If at all, you should solder the joint and use heat shrink sleeving over them
    sleeving.jpg

or at the very least use scotchlocks.
    OJRE.jpg

Howzat!

Only use Scotch loks as a Last Resort , auto electricians and mechanics detest them! They are a low amperage unit . And NEVER use them where they are exposed to the elements..

Re the insulating tape , good point that , I try use Self Amalgamating tape where possible . Or crimp connectors with heat shrink on them .
    stapeler wrote: »
    Aidan is out of a job:D

Sound!! I'm overdue a Holiday! :D
    Hardly.....

Any info I have is from a build perspective and maybe a little mechanical maintenance.

General maintenance isn't my bag as of yet. Not had a working camper for long enough to have to maintain it yet.....

yet......

Hey , no need for modesty , you've done yourself proud so far! :)

Fiat have released a re-call on some of the new and nearly Ducatos , the Bell Housing bolts apparently aren't all torqued up correctly . Now I don't mean to be a scare-mongerer , but if you have a Ducato from late 2009 on , might be no harm to have a check of them . They're all 19mm , regular head bolts , top ones a bit awkward tbh , lower ones quite easy . I checked one the other day , and it was wound out to the point of falling out!

Most of you have Awnings on your 'vans? I usually seal them to the side of the camper body , with ordinary cheapo Silicone Mastic . NOTE : This is only along the top edge, you MUST use proper sealer e.g. Sikaflex/Wurth etc on the actual Awning brackets!!

There are proprietary awning seals, which are a strip of rubber , I prefer to use the mastic as it gives a little extra strength to the Awning mount to the body , which helps prevent the awning getting bent in windy conditions.

The main reason for sealing however , is that the water off the roof won't flow down between the awning and the 'van sidewall , making it easier to keep the area under the Awning clean.

Everyone serious about camping , and who likes to do a bit of maintenance ,needs one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/SkyTronic-Compact-Digital-Multitester-Display/dp/B000L0OHIK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307571121&sr=8-2

helps you check if your battery is charging or has a drain , power points are working , and if fuses or bulbs are blown . I use mine every single working day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

aiden whats your take on hooking up extra leisure batteries my moviletta driver had 3 the were fitted when i got it the worked well. my latest camper is a aderia coral it has one with an inverter with the weather i cant test it to full . i have a 15 in flat tv and free to air box . most places i stay have hook up this year due to down turn in my work i have lots of time to use camper and hope to stop in some safe nights stopover and wild camping that wont have hook up . i hope to get a small solar panel to help top up when we have sun .not looking extra long drain time as i move every two days or so. thanks noel

You don't need 2 leisure batteries if you're moving that often . Unless you're powering stuff off of a high power inverter .Re Solar panels , anything less than 60 watt is a waste of time .

batteries are one thing , but people forget that the charging system is put under a lot of pressure . Take when the batteries are down low , that's a whole lot of amps going through a single fuse holder , and moderate sized cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

thanks for the tip i have a small jenny not suitable some places it can be noisy and needs fuel fairly often . thanks aidan for the advise will stick my with my leisure battery should get by keep the tips coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Everyone serious about camping , and who likes to do a bit of maintenance ,needs one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/SkyTronic-Compact-Digital-Multitester-Display/dp/B000L0OHIK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307571121&sr=8-2

helps you check if your battery is charging or has a drain , power points are working , and if fuses or bulbs are blown . I use mine every single working day .

Hi Aidan, I tried to order this and was told they don't deliver to Ireland.

Anyone else manage to get one or am i doing something wrong,

There's some stuff there that they won't deliver to Ireland for some reason.

Use ebay and it'll dispense with that nonsense.

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=multi+meter

My one is an ex-eircom one, made by RS. Class job. Never let me down yet and it can also measure amps. Would have been good if it had capacitance on it though.... Still.....

sorry lads , I only posted that as a reference , You'd get them from any good motorfactors or Maplins etc .

Thanks Lads, Got the small one Aidan recommeded on Ebay same price.

Delivery no prob.:):):)

cipro 55 wrote: »
    Thanks Lads, Got the small one Aidan recommeded on Ebay same price.

Delivery on prob.:):):)

All you need now is to learn how to use it.....;)

Never to old to learn Fingers :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

All you ever need 99% of the time is the 20v DC setting , the 500v AC setting , and the Continuity check , and the very odd time , the 10amp dc setting.

The water pipes around your camper , they normally all run into a manifold or a bunch of tee pieces near the Boiler . After a few years of use , the pipes sometimes have softened a bit , especially the Hot pipes . You'd have a small leak the odd time that you wouldn't barely notice. It's good practise to give the Hose clips a squeeze if you can get into them. If they're turned so that you can't get a screwdriver to them , 99.% of the time you can tighten them with either a 6mm or 7mm spanner.

• Advertisement

most of ye have Truma heaters in your motorhomes , right? They generally have one of these
    1710.jpg
    remote room temperature sensors fitted , often in the furniture over the door or beside the switch panel . The centre of it pops off , and you should wipe it out with a fine cloth or a wee blast of air . Keeps the thermostat more "honest" .

Fridge vents... I see a good few people with the vents covered up with the white plastic piece shown in the picture DRM9102(1).jpg

That is a winter/extreme cold use only item , used if your fridge ices up even at lower settings . If you use it in "normal" circumstances , it overworks the cooling unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Fridge vents... I see a good few people with the vents covered up with the white plastic piece shown in the picture DRM9102(1).jpg

That is a winter/extreme cold use only item , used if your fridge ices up even at lower settings . If you use it in "normal" circumstances , it overworks the cooling unit.

Are you an official Dometic agent again so ;) (seriously, joking)

question................why do people drive with the fridge running on gas? that's what the 12v is for!! Driving with the gas burning causes the chimney of the fridge to soot up . However , the Truma combi heater is designed to run even while driving .

Personally I don't recommend it , not for the sake of the heater but from the point of the view of safety , I don't like having the gas bottle on while driving .

question................why do people drive with the fridge running on gas?

I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

question................why do people drive with the fridge running on gas? that's what the 12v is for!! Driving with the gas burning causes the chimney of the fridge to soot up . However , the Truma combi heater is designed to run even while driving .

Personally I don't recommend it , not for the sake of the heater but from the point of the view of safety , I don't like having the gas bottle on while driving .
    I don't.

Some people do.

Strangely, Stena from Dublin to Holyhead recently and the check-in staff said nothing.

Stena from Holyhead to Dublin and they asked at check-in if the gas was off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

dfbemt wrote: »
    Some people do.

Strangely, Stena from Dublin to Holyhead recently and the check-in staff said nothing.

Stena from Holyhead to Dublin and they asked at check-in if the gas was off.

Stena at Harwich, when I was heading to Hook of Holland on two weeks ago, asked me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I am sure I read in the instructions for our fridge that it shouldn't be used on gas while driving.

On the subject of the vent you definitely notice that the fridge is colder with the cover off, especially on a hot day (not normally experienced in Ireland!!)

Fridges... continued . Had to service a good few fridges on MHs we didn't originally sell , and have noticed an awful lot of them are loose! In the typical dometic/Electrolux fridge most people have ,there are 4 white plastic caps , just inside the door seal , they pop off with a knife or small flat screwdriver . Inside those are usually Philips headed screws , no harm to give them a check . Remember , every 3 way fridge has a rigid gas pipe attached to it , and thats not something you want shaking in and out all the time .

sorry all , been neglecting this . I took the week off as I was simply burnt out . Lots of walking on beaches , motorbike road racing , rallying etc and feeling charged up again!

Worth having a look at your tires folks , seen a few lately that on first glance looked ok , loads of tread etc , but they had lots of perished sections all around on closer examination . You forget that they can be 10 years old and have so little mileage!

sorry all , been neglecting this . I took the week off as I was simply burnt out . Lots of walking on beaches , motorbike road racing , rallying etc and feeling charged up again!

Worth having a look at your tires folks , seen a few lately that on first glance looked ok , loads of tread etc , but they had lots of perished sections all around on closer examination . You forget that they can be 10 years old and have so little mileage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Hope you enjoyed the break!

What should one look for on the tires? My mechanic says mine are fine but I'd say they are pretty old (with low mileage though) so I just want to be sure. Thanks.

The walls will generally perish with age and look something like below. The walls will start to crack and separate over time, albeit for it to be dangerous it will need to be more advanced than what you see here:

Picture002-4.jpg

Brakes on MHs in general seem to be terribly neglected. If you can safely do it , remove all the wheels , one at a time , and flush the brake fluid through til clear clean fluid comes through . Also with the bleed nipples open , push the pistons back in the brake calipers and ensure they are sliding freely .

If you aren't happy to tackle that , insist your mechanic does , even if he reckons they look ok . It'll only take 30 mins to an hour and helps prevent long term brake problems .

Holy god... just noticed , this is a 13 page thread!!
    A lot of the slightly older Ducatos and VWs , and indeed Mercedes have a fairly large black plastic bumper.... Which by now is probably getting well faded . Also the mirrors and door handles . There are various oils/gels/sprays to shine them up , but a heat-gun or good hairdryer gently passed over them , keeping steady movements will bring the oils back to the surface . Leaving the black plastic looking new and shiney for a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trupinelis

Cool! Thanks!

If you have the camper parked up for a few days on account of the weather... Arm yourself with the Vapona or similar and go out and open the doors and windows . I see from ours in the sales yard that the feckin flies are starting to nest in the rubbers. dirty feckers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Seals in my roof vent/light need loosening, im afraid to open them in case I tear the rubber, how would you recommend sorting this out please Aidan...............
    Charles

Gently! Is it a Heki? If so , spray with Silicone Spray , and gently tweak them laterally with your finger .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

No idea what make it is Aidan, ill have a look for a can of that spray, suppose car accessory shops stock it....appreciate

try Son of a Gun either .

• Advertisement
Advertisement