Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aidan's tip of the week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Fridge vents... I see a good few people with the vents covered up with the white plastic piece shown in the picture DRM9102(1).jpg

That is a winter/extreme cold use only item , used if your fridge ices up even at lower settings . If you use it in "normal" circumstances , it overworks the cooling unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Fridge vents... I see a good few people with the vents covered up with the white plastic piece shown in the picture DRM9102(1).jpg

That is a winter/extreme cold use only item , used if your fridge ices up even at lower settings . If you use it in "normal" circumstances , it overworks the cooling unit.

Are you an official Dometic agent again so ;) (seriously, joking)

question................why do people drive with the fridge running on gas? that's what the 12v is for!! Driving with the gas burning causes the chimney of the fridge to soot up . However , the Truma combi heater is designed to run even while driving .

Personally I don't recommend it , not for the sake of the heater but from the point of the view of safety , I don't like having the gas bottle on while driving .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

question................why do people drive with the fridge running on gas?

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

question................why do people drive with the fridge running on gas? that's what the 12v is for!! Driving with the gas burning causes the chimney of the fridge to soot up . However , the Truma combi heater is designed to run even while driving .

Personally I don't recommend it , not for the sake of the heater but from the point of the view of safety , I don't like having the gas bottle on while driving .
    I don't.

Some people do.

Strangely, Stena from Dublin to Holyhead recently and the check-in staff said nothing.

Stena from Holyhead to Dublin and they asked at check-in if the gas was off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

dfbemt wrote: »
    Some people do.

Strangely, Stena from Dublin to Holyhead recently and the check-in staff said nothing.

Stena from Holyhead to Dublin and they asked at check-in if the gas was off.

Stena at Harwich, when I was heading to Hook of Holland on two weeks ago, asked me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I am sure I read in the instructions for our fridge that it shouldn't be used on gas while driving.

On the subject of the vent you definitely notice that the fridge is colder with the cover off, especially on a hot day (not normally experienced in Ireland!!)

Fridges... continued . Had to service a good few fridges on MHs we didn't originally sell , and have noticed an awful lot of them are loose! In the typical dometic/Electrolux fridge most people have ,there are 4 white plastic caps , just inside the door seal , they pop off with a knife or small flat screwdriver . Inside those are usually Philips headed screws , no harm to give them a check . Remember , every 3 way fridge has a rigid gas pipe attached to it , and thats not something you want shaking in and out all the time .

sorry all , been neglecting this . I took the week off as I was simply burnt out . Lots of walking on beaches , motorbike road racing , rallying etc and feeling charged up again!

Worth having a look at your tires folks , seen a few lately that on first glance looked ok , loads of tread etc , but they had lots of perished sections all around on closer examination . You forget that they can be 10 years old and have so little mileage!

sorry all , been neglecting this . I took the week off as I was simply burnt out . Lots of walking on beaches , motorbike road racing , rallying etc and feeling charged up again!

Worth having a look at your tires folks , seen a few lately that on first glance looked ok , loads of tread etc , but they had lots of perished sections all around on closer examination . You forget that they can be 10 years old and have so little mileage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Hope you enjoyed the break!

What should one look for on the tires? My mechanic says mine are fine but I'd say they are pretty old (with low mileage though) so I just want to be sure. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The walls will generally perish with age and look something like below. The walls will start to crack and separate over time, albeit for it to be dangerous it will need to be more advanced than what you see here:

Picture002-4.jpg

Brakes on MHs in general seem to be terribly neglected. If you can safely do it , remove all the wheels , one at a time , and flush the brake fluid through til clear clean fluid comes through . Also with the bleed nipples open , push the pistons back in the brake calipers and ensure they are sliding freely .

If you aren't happy to tackle that , insist your mechanic does , even if he reckons they look ok . It'll only take 30 mins to an hour and helps prevent long term brake problems .

Holy god... just noticed , this is a 13 page thread!!
    A lot of the slightly older Ducatos and VWs , and indeed Mercedes have a fairly large black plastic bumper.... Which by now is probably getting well faded . Also the mirrors and door handles . There are various oils/gels/sprays to shine them up , but a heat-gun or good hairdryer gently passed over them , keeping steady movements will bring the oils back to the surface . Leaving the black plastic looking new and shiney for a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trupinelis

Cool! Thanks!

If you have the camper parked up for a few days on account of the weather... Arm yourself with the Vapona or similar and go out and open the doors and windows . I see from ours in the sales yard that the feckin flies are starting to nest in the rubbers. dirty feckers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Seals in my roof vent/light need loosening, im afraid to open them in case I tear the rubber, how would you recommend sorting this out please Aidan...............
    Charles

Gently! Is it a Heki? If so , spray with Silicone Spray , and gently tweak them laterally with your finger .

No idea what make it is Aidan, ill have a look for a can of that spray, suppose car accessory shops stock it....appreciate

try Son of a Gun either .

• Advertisement

Good man Aidan , have some of that in the shed, will let u know how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Boss Croker

Hi, can you help with this electrical problem? I'm no expert but I think this problem would confuse anyone. Basically my leisure battery fails after after a day or two of use or after several days being laid up. I already replaced it with a new one and I am afraid to go back to the people who installed it as I think the they are likely to argue that I have neglected the battery again. I have'nt. I charge it regularly as in fact I did with the first one. And when I reconnect to 240 or charge it up it powers up again

As i say I am no expert but I traced what was happening from switching on the electric step on entry and then monitoring the power. It seems to me that the air-con seems to be taking power even from the 12v system. I presume that is a no-no but if its true as I think it is it would explain why the battery runs down so quickly. the van is compact but i need air con for travelling abroad with the kids (at least I did before the recession!)

Anyway, I'd be grateful for your view on this. It may well be an intermittent fault so maybe it will require someone to keep it on battery and check what is happening over a period of time?

Sorry for going on a such length but this problem has me growling at the van everytime I pass it and I need help

thanks

Hi, can you help with this electrical problem? I'm no expert but I think this problem would confuse anyone. Basically my leisure battery fails after after a day or two of use or after several days being laid up. I already replaced it with a new one and I am afraid to go back to the people who installed it as I think the they are likely to argue that I have neglected the battery again. I have'nt. I charge it regularly as in fact I did with the first one. And when I reconnect to 240 or charge it up it powers up again

As i say I am no expert but I traced what was happening from switching on the electric step on entry and then monitoring the power. It seems to me that the air-con seems to be taking power even from the 12v system. I presume that is a no-no but if its true as I think it is it would explain why the battery runs down so quickly. the van is compact but i need air con for travelling abroad with the kids (at least I did before the recession!)

Anyway, I'd be grateful for your view on this. It may well be an intermittent fault so maybe it will require someone to keep it on battery and check what is happening over a period of time?

Sorry for going on a such length but this problem has me growling at the van everytime I pass it and I need help

thanks

hi , probably best to ask this in a new thread. :)

Sun of a gun worked, a bit of patience, tlc and a very sharp thin knife, all cleaned up and working well, is it ok to use Vaseline to prevent this happening again or would it perish the rubber seal, maybe Silicone Spray instead, have silicone oil spray in the shed, is that the same thing, thanks again...Charles..

@Charles... you can't put a price on patience!

Folks , very few of us/you use your onboard tanks as drinking water , I assume? Well , I've recently started using this product from Truma , http://www.truma.com/uk/en/water-comfort/truma-aquastar.php , whom as you know supply most MH factories with the boilers and water fittings in our campers . And I have to say it really , truly works!

The rep from Truma sold me a good sales pitch , so we ordered some as a trial , I used it in some 15 yr old (ish) campers , and it did exactly what it said on the tin .

It's a gas , gas gas......

ahem. I see a good few people who travel abroad are using screw on fittings to the gas bottles , instead of the old Irish Clip on type . 2 things to note... if you have a pipe that is a goes-on-to , ie has a nut with threads inside , make sure to check the rubber seal inside the end is ok , I see a lot either cracked and perished , or missing altogether! The other thing is these fittings aren't supposed to be spanner-tight! Hand tight , plus a little more is plenty good enough , I use a pliers or a plastic spanner to nip them up .

If you have a pipe that is a goes-in-to , ie has external threads , and usual a cone shaped end that fits into the fitting on the gas bottle , these types SHOULD be spanner tight , as there is no rubber seal .

In both types , a quick spray of Windolene or similar around the joints will soon show a leak . If you see constant bubbles , that's Gas leaking!

WARNING WARNING WARNING!

The frost is upon us , go out and drain the water system of your MH!

Open the tank drain , boiler drain(s) , and the pipe drain if one is fitted , let all the water out and then turn on all taps , and turn on the pump til no more water spits out . Then pump off , and leave all taps open a bit.

Also remember to drain the toilet tank if one is fitted , this is often forgotten!

I know we've covered this before , but every year it's forgotten about by some of us.

Any of ye parking the MH for the winter , best to leave the fuel tank full to the neck , prevents condensation building up in the fuel , and tbh , juice will no doubt be dearer when you take the 'van out of hibernation...

If ye have itchy feet after the Christmas and Stephen's Day folks , we'd be delighted to see ye here , get to poke around a few MHs free of charge and no pressure , and see how much different I am in the "offline" world to your impressions of me! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

aidan i need a bit of imfo my reversing camera has stopped working it had gone on the gear stick along time i switched it on manual it worked fine .. would you have fitted a fuse in the line to it...i will try that first if that fails i will call down , thanks noel

Advertisement