Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Katia heading for Ireland!

Options
  • 10-09-2011 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Hurricane Katia is heading for Ireland. Landfall expected Sunday/Monday.
    Irish Examiner:

Ireland braces for impact of Katia winds

Saturday, September 10th 2011

IRELAND will feel the effects of the remains of Hurricane Katia from tomorrow night — as forecasters warned of 160km/h winds causing building damage, coastal flooding, uprooted trees and transport chaos.
    Met Éireann was last night considering weather warnings after Britain’s Met Office issued a rare extreme weather alert covering all of Ireland, warning of 128km/h winds on Monday causing sea flooding and "phenomenal" ocean conditions.

Irish forecasters predicted winds of up to 160km/h, with the North seeing the worst winds and sea flooding possible in Donegal Bay as well as in the west — in Galway Bay, the Shannon estuary and other harbours — caused by 15-metre waves out in the Atlantic.

Winds are expected to hit 128km/h in Dublin and 100km/h in Cork, adding that driving could be "very dangerous", especially in the west. Tornados are also a possibility.

Katia, which has been downgraded to a tropical storm, is causing seven-metre waves on the US coast and will spin across the Atlantic this weekend.

The giant storm, with a 160km wide centre and tropical storm force winds across an 800km wide area, is expected to only ease slightly before crashing into the north of Ireland tomorrow night.

Hurricanes can cause huge damage after crossing the Atlantic, as was seen in August 1986, when Hurricane Charley battered Ireland, causing the worst flooding in a century and smashing rainfall records.

Irish Weather Online forecaster Peter O’Donnell said: "This forecast represents the most probable outcome, although there is a one-in-three chance the storm will be less or more intense."

Met Éireann forecaster David Rogers said: "Katia will not technically be a hurricane by the time it reaches us, as it will have made the transition to a very vigorous depression.

"But extreme wind speeds are entirely possible.

"It’s not possible to say if 100mph winds will happen, as there are many variables, but the strongest winds will be on the southern flank of the depression, meaning the north and north-west are most prone to damaging winds.

"Tuesday will still be fairly windy, with Wednesday less so but with unsettled weather continuing."

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/ireland-braces-for-impact-of-katia-winds-167070.html#ixzz1XVUEkNIk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

.......and there was a time September used to be a very pleasant month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Just sold my kite, FECK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Its fairly windy out right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Katrina can suck my balls
    I've been listening to this bs since I was in school in the hope of a bit of drama, there'll be nothing.
    Maybe a neighbour might ask to borrow my ladder cos he thinks there may be a slate loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

If we could just harness all the hot air coming from our politicians over the past few years.....I reckon we could beat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jumps in the car to get supplies from 24 Tesco

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Katrina can suck my balls

Different chick dude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tis gonna be bad all right, stock up now on the food and beers and candles tomorrow would be my advice.

See MT Craniums posts over at weather thread for real information..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just sold my kite, FECK!

Thanks for that by the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Great!!!! i'm off to by myself a Surf board:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yerraya

I've been following Katrina on stormpulse and in my very uneducated opinion MET Éireann should definitely be issuing severe warnings....cant understand why they havent already:confused: but as I said only my opinion and I'm no weather man!!! I dont think we should be rushing the shops for supplies but be somewhat prepared all the same. I'm oddly hoping we do see spawning Tornadoes find all that kinda stuff fascinating..though on saying that I may not be as enthusiastic when I'm caught in the midst of one! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I live about 15 meters from the sea,to say i am concerned is a understatement :(
    it was really warm and humid today aswell which would only feed the storm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Maybe a neighbour might ask to borrow my ladder cos he thinks there may be a slate loose

*makes note that S.McG has a ladder and enjoys loaning it out*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

I live about 15 meters from the sea,to say i am concerned is a understatement :(
    it was really warm and humid today aswell which would only feed the storm
    15 meters? Are you a seal?

yerraya wrote: »
    I've been following Katrina on stormpulse

Katrina??? Jeez,she must be some windy bitch.

Hurricane Katia?

Is there anyone in Ireland called Katia, what about hurricane Mary or Siobhan.

Hurricane Katia?

There is a Sean in the name list for this year and an Erin in 2013

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

......and come Monday,15 metres under the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

You're all a bunch of big girl's blouses. Nothing's going to happen. I'm right about this one.

If not, may we all be blown away by some sort of freakish gust of wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Hurricane Katia?

it's obviously an eastern european hurricane..damn attractive winds

Nothing's going to happen. I'm right about this one.

If not, may we all be blown away by some sort of freakish gust of wind.

I hope you're wrong!!! I'm looking forward to be blown away! Isnt a change better than a break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Jake1 wrote: »
    See MT Craniums posts over at weather thread for real information..:D

He was in the OP's post.

Yahew wrote: »
    He was in the OP's post.
    Where?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Eddie the Eagle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

cuterob wrote: »
    Hurricane Katia?

it's obviously an eastern european hurricane..damn attractive winds
    as long as she eh..blows s'all good if theres no bite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Saw the sea gulls flying over this morning, sure sign they a bit weather on the way. Who needs a weatherman... ;)

k.p.h wrote: »
    Saw the sea gulls flying over this morning, sure sign they a bit weather on the way. Who needs a weatherman... ;)

That postman in Donegal would be the man to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Hurricane Katia?

Yes there is. I dated a girl called Katia. I'm not going to say anymore than that. She was a nice girl. Even though she dumped me and was a stupid cun :-)

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »

Seagulls flying.Now that is unusual.Do you live in Athlone?

Advertisement