Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A restoration tale (with pics)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

DMNE , i'm an avid follow and slack poster, do us all a favour and keep going. We'll all help if we can ...either by info or some other means..
    Just try and remeember the feeling of what it was like at the start of the project, there were/was and always will be obstacles to overcome and you have just listed all the big ones so take them one at a time and you'll find a way, even getting the lean two done will be a big asset to you. As they say " if it was easy everyne would be doing it" :P

I'm redoing my gelcoat at the moment and am going through my own little lull cause after 9 days of sanding for an hour or 2 each day I still can't see the end of it and i'm fairly peed off now beacuse of it.

Well cause i'm doing a new coat I'm also going to put polycarbonate rollers on the trailer so the new shiny white gel won't have black marks. You are more than welcome to 3 keel rollers , 1 keel stop and 2 round rollers just PM me at some stage and I'll find a way of getting them to you even if you are 160 miles , 4 hr drive away.

Also list the size of the troublesome window and I'll see if I can help also in that area.

Keep the faith and you'll get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

dnme

you have really done a great job so far and we all want you to keep going to complete your project but it is your project time and money thats going into it ... Im pretty sure you will regret it if you stop now maybe take a break and get some "me time" away from the boat winter is comeing so you will have limited time to work on her anyways maybe mothball the boat till spring this will give you time to build up some cash and plans for season 2 of a restoration tale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Jasus, I leave the interweb for a couple of days and you go from launching the boat to abandoning the project completely.

1/ I can organise a tranny van and probably a boat trailer for the day if your stuck.
    If we are going for a spin on the water I would reccomend lough Key over Lough Arrow but if you are just dropping it in the water then there is a grand slip just down the road, I'll even squeeze into the wetsuit for the occasion just in case.

2/ We bought a very good second hand trailer for our boat when we got it. Paid 1k sterling for a lovely galvanised road trailer rated for over the weight of the boat, brakes, new bearings and high pressure tyres, good winch, the whole works. Long story short the wheel fell off on the main road luckily not doing any damage or causing any serious injury.

Keep working on the trailer, you can always flog it to a fisherman for a lake boat if things dont work out, shouldnt be too difficult. As you know I sold my jeep a couple of weeks ago and have no way to bring our own boat anywhere, but we still have the boat if we do get a new vehicle in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Slig,

This soap opera airs twice nightly, you should know that by now. It stands still for no man.:D Ok so you seem to have solved the boat in the water test. I can put it into L.Key at Doon Shore (East bros) or at Cootehall if you prefer, I have a backroad all the way to the village. Or if you prefer shallow water, L.Arrow right beside me. I have a wet suit also and would like to stand in the water beside the boat and mark the waterline perhaps with you sitting in the enginewell to make up the weight. Does that sound like a plan...? If so then any day that suits you. I am very grateful to you, I'll cover costs, petrol, diesel, food etc.

In the mean time, I was in with john and Mary today to ask permission to build the lean to. It's a goer (Timmy, if you're watching, it'll be done right). I went into local builders providers and priced the job. I'm over engineering it with 6x2's, 3x2's, 4x4's and good brackets etc. The pvc sheets are expensive, coming in at €250 for eight of them (12 x 2 ft). Total materials cost around €430. Fergal - am I in the park?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

€430 :eek: you get half a trailer for that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Fair play to ya slig, we can all breathe a sigh of relief now! Panic over.

Dnme your obviously planning on renting that house for a while if your spending that kind of money. I think your right to over engineer, it will look the business. Are you going to get the whole boat covered for that money or are you only covering the open deck?

You wouldn't consider galvanised sheeting as an alternative for the roof sheeting, not sure how much it would cost (it's a while since I bought any). You do see the galvanised sheeting coming up second hand quite a bit on done deal in the building materials section. (Just to keep costs down), obviously you wouldn't have the same light with the galvanised. Treated wood would be best for the uprights or else a tin of protim wood preserver.

Anyway great to see you back at it. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Now get that boat in the water a.s.a.p. !

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Jack_regan wrote: »
    Now get that boat in the water a.s.a.p. !

But for gods sakes don't forget to put the bung in!!!

fergal.b wrote: »
    €430 :eek: you get half a trailer for that :D

Thats just the initial costing from local BP. Doesn't mean thats what I'm gonna pay, plus I can do the job bit by bit spreading the cost over a few weeks. I'm on the lookout for s/h pvc sheet, that's the bit that's hiking it. I can always build the frame in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Does it all have to be PVC sheeting. If you were to make every second sheet galvanised would it make it any cheaper. Also any salvage yards nearby ? You might be able to save a few bob there.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Does it all have to be PVC sheeting. If you were to make every second sheet galvanised would it make it any cheaper. Also any salvage yards nearby ? You might be able to save a few bob there.

Kat, it needs to look well. It's not my house, it's a cottage in a scenic rural setting. Appearence is very important. I'll get pvc sheet somewhere, even if I have to get em one at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi dnme

Might be of some help hopefully.

http://www.leantoshed.com/ or http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Lean-To-Onto-a-Shed

Stay positive, as hard as it seems now.
    But for gods sakes don't forget to put the bung in!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hi dnme

Might be of some help hopefully.

http://www.leantoshed.com/ or http://www.wikihow.com/Add-a-Lean-To-Onto-a-Shed

Stay positive, as hard as it seems now.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Great links vic. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hopskipandjump

Don't lose faith dnme...Rome wasn't built in a day! You are under no time constraints so if you need to take a well deserved break, take it. Throw 20 or 50 quid or whatever the budget allows in to a jar each week and come March / April, get stuck in again. I personally would always aim to do a job properly if I'm doing it at all so don't cut corners for the sake of getting the job done. You could post on the Wanted section of Adverts looking for any parts you need, you never know who has things lying around that they don't need.

Fair play to all the wonderful posts of encouragement you've been getting. Alex Lyons took the words out of my mouth a few posts back. I don't have thumbs up option, but it's there in spirit!

By the way, if you are looking to make templates, mask a large piece of greaseproof paper over the area...it's much easier to trace that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi dnme,

Was in Tesco this a.m. they had some excellent tools, sandpapers, protective glasses etc etc for dirt cheap (top price for any of them was around 3.49 I think), If Tesco close to you might be worth taking a nose in to see, I think the brand was Roston or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If we get a decent day without gale force winds and torrential rain I'll pick up the trailer and we'll try fit the boat on it (might be some adjusting of brackets but nothing too difficult). Cant get myself motivated to get in the water right now for some reason:D.
    All you need is a permanent market, some insulating tape and a square of aeroboard. As you know I'm only around during the week but I'm never really busy during that time so we'll get something sorted soon. Keep an eye on the weather.

Slig wrote: »
    If we get a decent day without gale force winds and torrential rain I'll pick up the trailer and we'll try fit the boat on it (might be some adjusting of brackets but nothing too difficult). Cant get myself motivated to get in the water right now for some reason:D.
    All you need is a permanent market, some insulating tape and a square of aeroboard. As you know I'm only around during the week but I'm never really busy during that time so we'll get something sorted soon. Keep an eye on the weather.

What are ya?

I'll hop in the water no problems. Perhaps if we took it down to L.Arrow just here below me. There a small pier where I reckon she'd go in happily. It's shallow there as in 3-4ft so great for measuring etc. Would you mind bringing your small outboard? I'd love to test run those keels, se if they steer straight.

I'm extremely grateful to you both and owe you for this. If you ever need help or anything you can think of, gimmie a shout.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hi dnme,

Was in Tesco this a.m. they had some excellent tools, sandpapers, protective glasses etc etc for dirt cheap (top price for any of them was around 3.49 I think), If Tesco close to you might be worth taking a nose in to see, I think the brand was Roston or the likes.

Thanks vic, I get all that stuff from Amazon, good quality, very cheap and free delivery.
    Beware Tesco!!:eek: They are destroying every small retail business in their wake which is growing ever larger. Not to mention the heart of all our towns.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I got the fisherman's waders in lidl and find them very handy when the water is a bit chilly might be handy for doing your water line..:)http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-EF112E24-23B4D2EA/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=19184&ar2=4&id=595&country=GB&zipcode=GL52+2SA&city=Cheltenham&district=+&street=Grosvenor+Terrace&ar=4&nf=True

Fergal, where did you get the pvc sheets for the leanto? What spec is it and how much was it?

dnme wrote: »
    Fergal, where did you get the pvc sheets for the leanto? What spec is it and how much was it?

B&Q they are 10ft x 2ft but I can't remember how much, Don't forget to get these to screw them down.

78225_P?$p$&wid=281&hei=281&op_sharpen=1

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    B&Q they are 10ft x 2ft but I can't remember how much, Don't forget to get these to screw them down.

78225_P?$p$&wid=281&hei=281&op_sharpen=1

Yea Homebase in Sligo have them for €20. The screws you mention above are €5.69 for 10 !!!!:eek: My local BP have 12ft sheets of pvc for €35 but it's thicker and heavier. I've already decided to over engineer because I am exposed to weather extremes here.

I am using
    4x4 uprights on outside, and 4x2 uprights inside (along wall)
    6x2 Rafters
    3x2 runners

So I'm wondering which way to go with the sheets, light & cheap or heavey and expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

???
    You've lost me

sorry dnme it was just your request to thank the posts and you were saying
    I'll tell ya why, as far as I can tell, just two people read my Day 48 update cos that's all that hit the button. I'm sure more read it but the fact that people don't consider the post worthy of a thanks, makes me feel like I'm "talkling to no one there", or at worst - I worry that people didn't feel the post was worth a mouse click.
    :)

I was going for kind of creepy but in an amusing way. :o

honestly it seemed funny at the time :) I possibly need to get out more

sheesh wrote: »
    sorry dnme it was just your request to thank the posts and you were saying

:)

I was going for kind of creepy but in an amusing way. :o

honestly it seemed funny at the time :) I possibly need to get out more

Don't worry about it sheesh, it was amusing, no idea why that one went over his head, he must have been very stressed at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Hi DNME,
    6x2 rafters are way over the top and with regard to the wall along the house a length of 3x2 fixed to facia board should do for the "lean" part of the lean to from that out,
    I bought 6` by 2`2" sheets yesterday for €10 inc vat i know thats too short but i belive its priced at 13 for 9`16 for 12`etc.hope this helps ill double check in the am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I know you're building the lean-to and all but I just saw this thread over in BA. It's a 3mx3m gazebo. You most likely have no ned, but would rather you said "no its grand" than "you should have posted"!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056380786

The leanto needs to be robust. Very robust. You have no idea of the storms we get here in the winter (and the summer). The back of my house is overlooking the lake on a hill so it takes the full brunt of anything northerly. Also I have a span of 10ft so 6x2's will never sag.

Then, there are complexities with the building. Its a very old stone cottage that was restored. The exterior is old stone walls now covered in pebble dash. So I can't drill them too heavy. For that reason, I won't rawlbolt a beam into them. Instead I'll need to use uprights strapped to the back wall and let them take the weight. Drilling and screwing in the strapping is much lighter and easier on the wall and the uprights then bear the load.

The back wall is not straight. There's an extension that jutts out about 2ft. It also extends the roof profile downwards so it's complex to surround with pvc sheet. There's also a boiler attached to this extension.

I took a lot of measurements and put it together in google sketchup. This is a free drawing and 3D modelling tool. It's stunning, very quick and easy to learn, they have tons of video tutorials and tons more on youtube. Highly recommend this to anyone who is considering anything that may need a bit of design or planning.

Here's a few images from the sketch. I modelled the back of the house pretty much exactly as it actually is. This sketch allowed me to see all the issues and problems I'm gonna face before hand, especially wrt the extenstion, boiler etc. I now have a cutlist, angles worked out etc.

1. The backyard in reality
    Img_7706.jpg

2. Complicated by this extension which brings the roof down
    Img_7681.jpg

3. I modelled the house, then built the leanto, finding all the problems and issues along the way virtually.
    house6.png

house6b.png

house6c.png

house6d.png

house6e.png

house6f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the DIY forum now?:D

Yea Homebase in Sligo have them for €20. The screws you mention above are €5.69 for 10 !!!!:eek: My local BP have 12ft sheets of pvc for €35 but it's thicker and heavier. I've already decidedd trop over engineer because I am exposed to weather extremes here.

I am using
    4x4 uprights on outside, and 4x2 uprights inside (along wall)
    6x2 Rafters
    3x2 runners

So I'm wondering which way to go with the sheets, light & cheap or heavey and expensive

Most builders merchants have bags of Wood screws with hex head with rubber washers on them. There is a picture of the type I mean on this website.
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/324760092/Wood_Screw_Hex_Flange_Head_with.html

Just be careful not to over tighten them when screwing them in to avoid cracking the plastic sheeting. Obviously the price varies depending on size but they're a lot cheaper than those other ones and stronger too. You need to buy the special hex adapter to screw them in. You could add bigger washers to the screws to spread the weight further across the sheet.

As far as the sheets go, well you get what you pay for. The more expensive ones are stronger of course. I presume your going to take this shelter with you if by chance you ever decide to move house. I'm sure the cheaper variety would do the job you want them too. It really comes down to what the budget allows. The more expensive ones would probably look better appearance wise but they'll both keep the rain off the boat.

Just with regards to the timber, you should try and get the timber in roughly the lengths you need, you don't want to end up with a load of off cuts that you can't use for anything except expensive firewood. Do the local builders merchants stock 4 by 4 or are they ordering it in for you? (Not available in my local bm)

Just after typing all this and noticed you've just posted a sketch, it looks great! The plan looks good to me, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Hi dnme,

That looks great, must play with Sketchup sometime.

Just a thought re the oil boiler - would it be worth looking into extending the flue above the lean-to to avoid any odours etc when working and remove any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning etc.

Hope you get the boat in the water soon, will be a great feeling I'm sure.

Pete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

This just gets better and better. Where does your talent end.

Advertisement