Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Probably going to sit the HPAT next year. Medicine isn't my first choice, but it'll probably be choices 2, 3 and 4 on my CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

What's everyone doing to prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

What's everyone doing to prepare?

IOE Prep Course and I'll consider getting the two official ACER practice booklets.

Anyone else doing the IOE Course in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Sorry about asking this but could someone post a link or something about the whole bonus points in med?

I get thy there are bonus points, but is it definite that the max for having HL maths along with 5 other subjects is now 565 over the usual 560?

I know it's logical but a friend of mine told me it wasn't working like that and as a prospective repeat I would love to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Kind of like if you get 600 points you only get 565+ whatever your HPAT is.

:confused::confused: wut?

Sorry I really don't explain myself properly :/ if you get 600 points and are applying for med I think you count it as 565 points?? :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Sorry I really don't explain myself properly :/ if you get 600 points and are applying for med I think you count it as 565 points?? :/

I think they meant if you got 625 in the leaving cert. It's the new 600 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I think they meant if you got 625 in the leaving cert. It's the new 600 :cool:

Yeah these bonus points are really confusing! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

I'm considering going for medicine...though the giant point increases are very disheartening..

I haven't even considered HPAT prep yet...perhaps I should buy a book or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

hey repeating did hpat and got 179 redoing it and doing the med---entry prep course anyone want to go in with me 4 group discount? got 430 this year in leaving but didnt put in the work hopefully go up to 550. honours maths should help. I got 64 section one 60 section 2 56 section 3.

IOE Prep Course and I'll consider getting the two official ACER practice booklets.

Anyone else doing the IOE Course in October?

i heard ioe course bad med---entry better defo get acer booklets thats all i used and got 8oth percentile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jamie-obraonain

Did any of you see this? Apparently, results are bring issued in April? It says on the HPAT-IRELAND website under results!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Did any of you see this? Apparently, results are bring issued in April? It says on the HPAT-IRELAND website under results!

that must be over the blip with the cao. Great though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm looking into Queens University in Belfast myself. Apparently they take Junior Cert results over Leaving Cert?! Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Novella wrote: »
    I'm looking into Queens University in Belfast myself. Apparently they take Junior Cert results over Leaving Cert?! Crazy!
    No, your JC results are only considered if they're gonna give you a conditional offer. So they are important in that sense (as in, if you've a bad JC you mightn't get an offer).

They'll still want a hefty LC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anthonybeta

anyone have any recommendation on a course i could take to
    prepare. im repeating and got 67th percentile

so far im getting vibes for going through the UMAT sample papers
    and possibly taking M***ntry course (why do people hide the full name?)

thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

and possibly taking M***ntry course (why do people hide the full name?)
    Because about a year ago there were so many new-reg. shills and spammers talking them up to the heavens that the admins got fed up with it and added the name to the swear filter.

This site has zero tolerance for spamming / shilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 swimstar

I'm ready to register for a preparation course for HPAT - noticed that there is a significant discount if I register with one other person.

Anyone interested in registering together?

No obligation to do the course at the same time or even in the same centre.

tcd down to 739
    nuig still 729
    ucd now 735
    rcsi now 732
    ucc still 734

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Must be because of the CAO's idiotic mistake and cover up this year.

has anyone heard anything about additional fees that have to be paid if your doing medicine? i know theres the 2000 + vaccination and screening fees but sum1 said theres 10,000 in fees if there is il not be repeating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

has anyone heard anything about additional fees that have to be paid if your doing medicine? i know theres the 2000 + vaccination and screening fees but sum1 said theres 10,000 in fees if there is il not be repeating

Theres no additional fees unless you've already done a year in college already or something in which case you'd have to pay the fees for the first year of any course.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Absolutely correct -no additional fees unless you have done a year of college and then you pay first year fees only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ADP11

Hi everyone,
    I'm also thinking about registering for the me...try prep course! Does anyone want to sign up together to get the discount?
    Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

So does anyone think HPAT scores will keep rising in 2012 or have they peaked already. I really wanna do medicine and at the rate these scores are going up its getting scary for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

The best advice I gleaned from the 2011 class is don't go around telling everyone you're going to do medicine. It's horribly embarrassing if you don't get it. Conversations in my school went like "What are you aiming for?" "I'm doing medicine in Trinity"..

I'll be looking it for this year.. Good luck guys

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Partyatmygaff...the survey would be interesting but I don't know how you would go about proving that they are valid results. Everyone I know that repeated the HPAT went up in their 2nd year of doing it, most of them didn't do a prep course, some did. I think that due to circumstances the 2nd time around, like not having the LC to worry about (as a lot are in college already), having experience of the timing and procedures for the day, as well as possibly being a little bit less stressed out about it than first timers, all contribute to the scores.

I think its a good idea, but there would be no way to tell if people who did a prep course would not have had a high score without it. Chances are that a lot of people would use the survey as evidence that they NEED a course to do well, simply because people went up after doing one, but they may well have been able to do it on their own.

i didnt do a course and got 179 in hpat 80th percentile. general trend so far seems to be u need 2 be in the 80th percentile and get 550 for galway. repeating this year hoping to go up in hpat not sure about med entry course may do it. hard 2 tell wat way points may go with extra maths points hoping not many do honors.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Have the results for the HPAT 2011 been released publicly yet? Like the country as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

Hey, repeating unfortunately and redoing the hpat too.
    i did the med----entry course last year and say i'll prob do it again this year.
    just wondering yno the way you get a discount for repeating? this may be abit optimistic but just wondering if anyone knows if you can avail of both the group discount and repeating discount? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

jenny18 wrote: »
    i know theres the 2000 + vaccination and screening fees

Its like €225 in Cork, unless someone's not telling me something I should already know... :rolleyes:

Advertisement