Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tefl or tesol in china

Options
  • 26-11-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

hi all,
    Im headingto china next year hoping to secure a job teaching english. Can anyone give me advice. Ive got an offer from i to i which is €200 per month with free accommodation and food. with €250 bonus at the end. is that good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

george27 wrote: »
    hi all,
    Im headingto china next year hoping to secure a job teaching english. Can anyone give me advice. Ive got an offer from i to i which is €200 per month with free accommodation and food. with €250 bonus at the end. is that good?

Which city?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 george27

hi caoty,
    Thinking og Beijing but to be honest im happy to go any where there which is a nice are to live other city i was thinking of was Hangzhou it seems to be a nice city. Were you there yourself in china?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

hi all,

Hey,
    I just saw this thread, hope its not too late. So how many hours would the i-to-i set-up be? 200 euro seems very small (even with accommodation included) especially for Beijing or Hangzhou which are both expensive cities. I lived in China (Dalian & Beijing) for 3 years, and found i was spending, in beijing, about 1000 euro a month. that's including accomodation. In dalian, which is a much smaller city, but still not cheap, just a little less than that.

I'd recommend looking elsewhere as you could get much better deals i think. It depends what you want to do over there, but if its teaching kids or young adults english, try the many private schools such as future, rockies, webenglish, and others i cant think of right now.

if you need any more info let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 martin09

Hi,
    The sum of money you will earn seems very small - even by Chinese standards. If I can give you an example. Think of the price of a cup of coffee in Ireland. A similar cup in Starbucks etc in China will cost you 20 RMB (2 Euros). The cost of living in Chinese cities is very high.

Also, ensure you see a copy of your contract before travelling. Be aware also that while you might be obliged 'only' to work 5 hours per day - this might be over an eight or ten hour day.

Medical insurance will also be a necessity. Sorry for sounding so negative but forewarned is forearmed. Best of luck with whatever you decide. Martin

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the info. i think what we decided to do is to go there and see what we can get ourselves. The money does seem pretty small even with accoomodation. I think it best to see what its like ourselves and then we dont have any contract either to keep us in one place.
    Thanks for all yuor help and Happy New Year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Heading over myself in about a month. I'm going to be working in a company in a translation role but I hope to end up teaching in a University. Anyone have any experience of that ? Hows the money etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I live in Dalian and €200 a month just isn't enough tbh, even with food and accomodation as was mentioned below. You may want to look around a bit more before taking the leap (unless you already have?!). China is cheap, but its not that cheap. I'd be spending about €700-800 a month not including accomodation, although a lot of that is on non-essential purchases (beer, restaurants etc.).

Btw any of you still living in Dalian? I'm in Ireland for Christmas but back out in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I live in Dalian and €200 a month just isn't enough tbh, even with food and accomodation as was mentioned below. You may want to look around a bit more before taking the leap (unless you already have?!). China is cheap, but its not that cheap. I'd be spending about €700-800 a month not including accomodation, although a lot of that is on non-essential purchases (beer, restaurants etc.).

Btw any of you still living in Dalian? I'm in Ireland for Christmas but back out in a week or two.

By local standard, 2000RMB after accomodation for a single person is enough for living expenses. If you want to go luxury, China has places where you can squander €2000 in a couple of minutes.

caoty wrote: »
    By local standard, 2000RMB after accomodation for a single person is enough for living expenses. If you want to go luxury, China has places where you can squander €2000 in a couple of minutes.

The problem with "local standards" is this belief that we can live like the Chinese. Well, unless you want to live like a student again, you can't. They have a whole network of support from family and the community which allows their money to go further. Throw in their ability to haggle, and we're (foreigners) are at an immediate disadvantage.

2000 is not enough for a foreign single person in China unless you're living in the sticks where you have nothing to spend your money on. On just about every front, as a foreigner (and non-Chinese speaker), you will pay more than the Chinese themselves do. You'll pay more to eat, to drink, in food shops, for clothes, etc etc. And it all adds up. Even if you remove the ability to go to the club/bar for drinks, and remove all foreign dinners (I get cravings for Italian or Indian food occasionally) it would be difficult to live for 2000. Its likely that the majority of bills would be paid by your school, but depending on where you are you could easily spend €200 on heating/electricity especially during the winter.

I lived a year in Xi'an which is a 2nd tier city of about 6mill people. Working in language school (or language mill) I earned 5k & accommodation although I worked roughly 30 hours a week. I'm back in Xi'an in February for a university position where I earn 4500 & accommodation but have a max of 18 hours a week.

The thing is that there is plenty of work out there for 4500 - 5000. Its the norm. Any place offering less is out to rip you off, and even if they're not, you can be guaranteed you'll have zero support from them in teaching materials. (another drain on your income..)

It really depends on what you bring to the table. IF you have a 4 year degree, you should be asking for 5k. Forget Tesol. Its useful but isn't particularly important in terms of salary. Celta can bring in extra but consider that in many schools a Masters just adds 500 to a salary. Experience in addition to the BA or Masters is what counts and thats where the main money is.

Dalian is a pretty expensive city due to the numbers of foreign business there. Throw in the Russians, and everyone gets charged more. The major cities like BJ, Shanghai, Shenzhen, etc. cost more to live in, especially if you want any amount of social life (beyond sitting in the park trying to make out the sun through the smog:D)

When I was last in Xi'an I averaged about 4500 a month, but I liked to go out clubbing a few nights a week, and didn't mind paying extra for "good" chinese food. But I must admit a lot of that is due to dating. It is expensive in its own way.

China is indeed cheap, but as Funglegunk says, its not that cheap.

• Advertisement

The problem with "local standards" is this belief that we can live like the Chinese. Well, unless you want to live like a student again, you can't. They have a whole network of support from family and the community which allows their money to go further. Throw in their ability to haggle, and we're (foreigners) are at an immediate disadvantage.

2000 is not enough for a foreign single person in China unless you're living in the sticks where you have nothing to spend your money on. On just about every front, as a foreigner (and non-Chinese speaker), you will pay more than the Chinese themselves do. You'll pay more to eat, to drink, in food shops, for clothes, etc etc. And it all adds up. Even if you remove the ability to go to the club/bar for drinks, and remove all foreign dinners (I get cravings for Italian or Indian food occasionally) it would be difficult to live for 2000.

Completely agree with this, there is a massive gap between E200 a month and 'luxury'. And in that gap lies nightlife, good food, fun activities...you know...the stuff you tend to want to do in a new country. :P I'd hardly call that 'squandering'!
    When I was last in Xi'an I averaged about 4500 a month, but I liked to go out clubbing a few nights a week, and didn't mind paying extra for "good" chinese food. But I must admit a lot of that is due to dating. It is expensive in its own way.

You mean in that you're expected to pay for pretty much everything! That's my experience with dating Chinese girls anyway. :P

Completely agree with this, there is a massive gap between E200 a month and 'luxury'. And in that gap lies nightlife, good food, fun activities...you know...the stuff you tend to want to do in a new country. :P I'd hardly call that 'squandering'!

I wouldn't call it squandering either. I'd call it a requirement. For those of you that haven't stayed in China for a long period, you should understand that China is extremely different to most countries in the world. The culture is vastly different, and while that is one of the main reasons for going there (repeatedly), its also something that starts to bug you after a while. So you will need those fun activities or foreign influences just to keep you sane. And they cost money. Not a huge amount (by Irish standards), mind, but enough to make a dent in your salary (especially if you only have 2k to spend a month and no savings to dip into)
    You mean in that you're expected to pay for pretty much everything! That's my experience with dating Chinese girls anyway. :P

Aye, there are certain "traditional" values remaining there, especially since most consider foreigners to be rich despite protestations that you're not. So to retain a certain amount of face (and believe me, you'll get roped into the whole "face" thing) you can't be too cheap with your dates. It doesn't mean going nuts buying expensive presents or expensive dinners, but not being stingy. Which costs money.

But its worth it. I love Chinese women. :D

In regards to teaching in China, be careful. There are a lot of sharks out there with the clear intention of taking complete advantage of you. My first school was one of these. They lied on the initial contract, had me sign a different contract when i arrived in China, deducted a probationary period month whereby i got less pay, gave extra classes, tried to force me to do classes for other schools (farming out) etc. All of these can and do happen to people teaching in China. And you should expect to see some of them. The one consolation is your salary and apartment. You should make sure that you're getting a decent wage and have a "nice" (more than just livable) apartment close to work.

Do some real research on teaching in China, seriously check out the school, and make sure that your contract stipulates the definite minimum you require from working there. Also check return airfare amounts.

Teaching in China, and moreso living in China can a wonderful experience, but you need to do some work beforehand and go with the right frame of mind.

Lastly, if you're the type to look at everything and compare it to Ireland/the west, thinking ours is so much better... I wouldn't recommend China (Korea might be better for you). [Think of the fact that in most Chinese apartments, clubs, bars etc the toilet is a hole in the ground. Think about how you would deal with it. I know quite a few people who left China because they couldn't.] You'll be going nuts in 3 months. You really do need an open mind, and a willingness to see the good in most situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

200 a month?
    You'll be taken for a ride my friend.

Hope its not too late now but I wouldn't have anything to do with an employer who even suggests that amount if I were you.

In Beijing? no 2000 rmb is not enough, not even close.

thanks lainier
    didnt go yet after some thought and i need to save more money because from what all ye tell me i need it :p

thanks lainier
    didnt go yet after some thought and i need to save more money because from what all ye tell me i need it :p

I'm flying out tomorrow morning. Flights cost a total of €1k to get to Xi'an. I have another €1k spending money to last me for a month & a half. (I should get paid after a month, but these things can be delayed)

You don't need loads of money to get started if you're willing to watch your spending, and eat Chinese food. Just ensure that you're getting paid a decent wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What's the best way to go about this? Do you go through agencies? Do a Tesol / Tefl course?
    I hope to have my degree next year to bypass that but I don't know where to start really. Is it easy to get private work and also did you take Chinese classes while there?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I would reccomend doing a CELTA course, it's by far the best English Language Teaching course IMO. And would get you a job in the better schools around the world.

I wont go into the ins and outs of it, it would take a while, google it and check it out.

WindSock wrote: »
    What's the best way to go about this? Do you go through agencies? Do a Tesol / Tefl course?
    I hope to have my degree next year to bypass that but I don't know where to start really. Is it easy to get private work and also did you take Chinese classes while there?

In 2003 I did a weekend TEFL, organized an interview in a very rural part of China and just kind of went for it.

Where are you planning on going?

Hmmm. E1500 for CELTA, and 120hrs training. Not really what I was expecting.

Well I haven't even thought about where to go yet in China, just beginning to get my thought in my head into a bit of reality now. No idea where to start so came here first :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

The main difference between CELTA and a TEFL course is who your cert is issued by; a CELTA certificate is issued by Cambridge University, is worldwide recognised and has a very high standard of training. A 'TEFL' course can be from anywhere, and you could find that it's not recognised in a lot of places.
    I guess what you have to think about it if you are looking to travel for a couple of years and have something to fall back on, or are you re-skilling for a lifetime career.

There are some schools abroad which will hire any native speaker, with or without a certificate, but the rate of pay will be significantly lower than other schools, British Council schools for example will only accept CELTA. Also, you may find that while you may have a job for a year or so, afterwards if you decide to move on, your experience in the 'lower standard' school (for want of a better word) will be irrelevant, and in some cases detrimental to your future career. I have actually seen CVs completely disregarded because the person worked for certain schools.

The standard of the training on a CELTA course is highly monitored by Cambridge Uni. I know a centre in Dublin which runs the course, and I know from some inside information, that every student that took the course this year was employed within 2wks of finishing the course. Reputable language schools around the world actually seek CELTA trained teachers through the main centre in the UK, and the jobs opportunities are then passed on to centres.

If you want any more info please feel free to PM me.

I myself have the TEFL course, a 100 hour course, which I did 5 years ago, and looking at the difference in the syllabus, they are very different courses. I plan to take the CELTA cert in the future; the initial outlay is definitely worth it in the long run.

I also know people who have received partial funding by FAS or social welfare, up to 50% of the course fee;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I am currently living in Beijing. My girlfriend is an English teacher.

Current situation:

Beginner teachers should expect to get 12000 - 15000 RMB per month for 25 hours work a week.
    Do not accept their accommodation; get your own in case things go bad and they kick you out!
    You do not need a TEFL qualification. Officially you do but no one cares.

Just come here and look for a job. You will be offered every job you interview for. They cannot get enough English teachers here.

The biggest negative about teaching English here (according to people I know) is the other teachers. Most are absolute freaks who would be total social outcasts in Europe or the US.

The biggest negative about teaching English here (according to people I know) is the other teachers. Most are absolute freaks who would be total social outcasts in Europe or the US.

Funny, pretty much everyone says that..... yet they don't view themselves as freaks.
    I guess all the people I've met with that opinion are the exceptions. :pac:

Lanaier wrote: »
    Funny, pretty much everyone says that..... yet they don't view themselves as freaks.
    I guess all the people I've met with that opinion are the exceptions. :pac:

We're definitely not freaks. :) (And I'm not even a teacher!)

Seriously the weirdos here. I reckon half of them must come here because they can't make friends or meet women at home. They are that strange.

I have a lot of teacher friends from Dalian, and 90% of them are just lovely people.

There are 10% that are total 'freaks' I guess.

That's great Shelli2, thanks. I had a look at the site and it seems they only run 3 classes a year. One this month too.

Unsociable sad loser freaks eh? I'll fit right in! :pac:

Is it easy to get private work? I have heard of people being live in teachers before and get paid and treated quite well, or would you recommend just teaching in schools instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 warofthebutton

I'm thinking of going to China to do the whole teaching thing, I already have my TEFL course in the bag. I was wondering if any1 here has had any experience with the English First company? they seem to have 90% of the job postings..
    Im looking at Dalian and Hangzhou,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated you heroes

I'm thinking of going to China to do the whole teaching thing, I already have my TEFL course in the bag. I was wondering if any1 here has had any experience with the English First company? they seem to have 90% of the job postings..
    Im looking at Dalian and Hangzhou,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated you heroes

EF?

They pay low wages in comparison to other companies.

I'm not an English teacher myself but I've heard bad things about certain branches of EF, good things about others.
    I haven't checked the site in years but Dave's ESL Cafe used to have reviews of schools so check that out.
    Do your research before committing to anything.

Haven't been there in a while but the last time I was in Hangzhou it was boiling in summer, over 40 degrees C for the few days I was there so I hope you're ready for that.
    I was new to China at the time and the heat is all I remember of that place now.

Of course most places in Southern China will have similar weather but it seemed especially rough in HZ for some reason.
    I lived in a 40+C town for 2 years yet I still recall HZ for it's heat.

Anyway, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 warofthebutton

thanks a million both of ye
    Daves cafe is a bit of a jungle but im getting used to it. Did any1 here go through a recruiter or do people tend more to do it themselves when it comes to TEFL in China?

Advertisement