Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tefl or tesol in china

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Thanks a million for that. It's put my mind at ease.

My permit and letter and all are on their way in the post some where so im hoping to have them by next week.

Is any one here in Hangzhou?

I've been doing some research and i can't find any information on expat groups and stuff. I don't get the weekend off but 2 days mid-week. When i was in Seoul, it was easy to get together with other people through meetup.com and stuff. There was always something going on.
    I'm going over with my boyfriend and we'll be living together but i don't want to be joined at the hip with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

Thanks a million for that. It's put my mind at ease.

My permit and letter and all are on their way in the post some where so im hoping to have them by next week.

Is any one here in Hangzhou?

I've been doing some research and i can't find any information on expat groups and stuff. I don't get the weekend off but 2 days mid-week. When i was in Seoul, it was easy to get together with other people through meetup.com and stuff. There was always something going on.
    I'm going over with my boyfriend and we'll be living together but i don't want to be joined at the hip with him!!

Well like I said, ring the embassy to make sure. I know I was fretting about that before I left, and when I rang them they never mentioned any health check.

I know foreigners that live all over China, but none in Hangzhou unfortunately. Hangzhou is a big place, so you're sure to meet some other foreign teachers at some point. You'd be surprised how many are living in a city like Hangzhou.

There are a large group of us going to Hainan Island during Chinese new year (people from America, England, New Zealand etc), so if you guys are looking to go somewhere during that period give me a shout. Will be good craic :)

Hi all!

i'm finally in China after a long wait! ha!

just for any one who is reading this and wondering about the health check: you don't need it for the embassy in Dublin.

So i need help with one more thing: i didn't get a vpn before coming over. how do i go about getting one now that i'm here? i'm not super smart about computers so if any one could give me the 'for dummies' version i would really appreciate it!

Also, if any one is in Hangzhou, i'd love to meet up!

There are a large group of us going to Hainan Island during Chinese new year (people from America, England, New Zealand etc), so if you guys are looking to go somewhere during that period give me a shout. Will be good craic :)

Thanks for the offer but i think that we will still be fairly broke by then. we don't get paid until the middle of jan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Hi all!

i'm finally in China after a long wait! ha!

just for any one who is reading this and wondering about the health check: you don't need it for the embassy in Dublin.

So i need help with one more thing: i didn't get a vpn before coming over. how do i go about getting one now that i'm here? i'm not super smart about computers so if any one could give me the 'for dummies' version i would really appreciate it!

Also, if any one is in Hangzhou, i'd love to meet up!

Astrill.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

Astrill.com

This ^^

You have to pay for it though. Not expensive, think I paid about 30 euro. There are free ones but in my experience there's absolutely comparison, Astrill is miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I'm currently on a course that includes a 3 month work placement in Shanghai. I'll be heading off in the summer and to the best of my knowledge, after my housing expenses and some of the bills are accounted for, I'll have just under 200e per week to use of our own accord. I realise it's probably plenty to survive but I'm hoping to enjoy myself there. Hopefully a couple of nights out, see the sights and maybe travel to Beijing. Would I be able to do that or should I spend my money conservatively? I'd imagine my biggest day to day outlays will probably be food and travel, are they expensive there relative to say, Dublin? Thanks in advance

EUR 200 per week is loads, assuming you don't go too mad at Western restaurants and in Western bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I'm currently on a course that includes a 3 month work placement in Shanghai. I'll be heading off in the summer and to the best of my knowledge, after my housing expenses and some of the bills are accounted for, I'll have just under 200e per week to use of our own accord. I realise it's probably plenty to survive but I'm hoping to enjoy myself there. Hopefully a couple of nights out, see the sights and maybe travel to Beijing. Would I be able to do that or should I spend my money conservatively? I'd imagine my biggest day to day outlays will probably be food and travel, are they expensive there relative to say, Dublin? Thanks in advance

McDonalds 24hr online delivery
    Sherpa's food online delivery
    Yongkang Road bar street

Done

fluffer wrote: »
    McDonalds 24hr online delivery
    Sherpa's food online delivery
    Yongkang Road bar street

Done

You make it sound so simple!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I spent about 2000 a month in Xi'an and lived well (ate out everyday, nightclubs every couple of weeks), all the tourist stuff. I actually avoided expensive western stuff (Starbucks, Pizza Hut etc).

I was on 6000 plus overtime of 100 an hour and free premium accommodation (100 square meter apartment) for a 20 hour, 3 day week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 i chop your dollar

Hi Guys,

Im heading to Shenzhen in two weeks seeking a teaching position. Anyone know the best sites to use?

Thanks in advance

I got offered a job offer this morning. 14000 rmb a month. is that good for china? i have no experience. what are the chances of me paying tax on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I got offered a job offer this morning. 14000 rmb a month. is that good for china? i have no experience. what are the chances of me paying tax on that?

Which city? Yes, you'll probably be taxed. Should be 20-25% if memory serves. You should also be getting housing allowance, air fare, insurance, etc.

Edit: ah, Shenzhen. I'm in sz too. 14,000 isn't bad, but it's not great, and you'll find it can disappear very quickly if you're not careful. You can pick up extra work very easily, at about 250/hr, more if you're teaching ielts or TOEFL.

Can anyone recommend a good VPN that'll work in Shanghai? I see astrill.com mentioned above, and I'd be happy enough to get it but I'd be a bit worried that it might have been blocked since or might be likely to be blocked in the near future.

Also, will my BoI visa debit card work in Shanghai? I've applied for a credit card but I don't expect to have it before I head off.

Astrill.

I've never used my visa debit card in China. However my visa credit card works fine.

pauldla wrote: »
    Which city? Yes, you'll probably be taxed. Should be 20-25% if memory serves. You should also be getting housing allowance, air fare, insurance, etc.

Edit: ah, Shenzhen. I'm in sz too. 14,000 isn't bad, but it's not great, and you'll find it can disappear very quickly if you're not careful. You can pick up extra work very easily, at about 250/hr, more if you're teaching ielts or TOEFL.

How do you find it there? Does your money go far compared to back home and how much is your apartment costing you? It looks pretty cool and it is so close to Hong Kong as well which must have its attractions?? And how about beaches and weather?

Sorry about the questions but I'm so excited!

I don't like Shenzhen. Too much sleaze. But being close to HK is fantastic! They subways are connected.

I don't like Shenzhen. Too much sleaze. But being close to HK is fantastic! They subways are connected.

How do you mean sleaze? Sleaze as in Bangkok sleaze?

How do you mean sleaze? Sleaze as in Bangkok sleaze?

Being approached by prostitutes all the time. And I'm not talking about hot Bangkok girls, I'm talking grim older ladies and men, people you wouldn't have sex with for free. It's not my type of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

How do you find it there? Does your money go far compared to back home and how much is your apartment costing you? It looks pretty cool and it is so close to Hong Kong as well which must have its attractions?? And how about beaches and weather?

Sorry about the questions but I'm so excited!

Questions are grand, I'll tell you what I can.

I've been here almost ten years now. It's pretty westernised, with lots of retail outlets from home that you know and love. They can be quite expensive, though. We’re not renting, so cant give much useful advice about rents, but I think depending on area you may be paying anywhere from 3-5000. Which area of the city will you be in?

Overall I'm happy enough here, although you will find saving money to be hard. I don't go out much, so I can't really advise on the night scene, though I have noticed a lot more venues and big names coming this way. SZ is definitely a city that is still on the up, and it has a lot of buzz about it, but one of the downsides of that is as Mr. Loverman (somewhat incongruously, given his name :pac:) says, it does have a seedy side to it, a consequence I suppose of lots of money sloshing around.

Being close to HK is a definite plus, but going over to HK is not what it used to be. Be ready for long waits at the checkpoints (there is an app you can get for your iphone called HK ImmD that shows you how long the queues are. Get the Metroman app for the metro, too). For beaches, you can head to the east of the city, to Dameisha and Xiaomeisha, which can be fun, but very crowded. If you can get further east, to Huizhou, it’s a lot quieter, with cleaner beaches, but it’s far (a three hour drive, easily). The weather is usually good, hot but not unbearable in the summer and usually mild in the winter (it’s been about 16-20 here this week).

Some useful websites:
    www.thenanfang.com Specifically about the PRD and Shenzhen.
    shanghaiist.com As the name would suggest, mostly about SH, but they do have stories about SZ from time to time, and it’s an entertaining read in its own right.
    www.shenzhenparty.com Has classified ads, ents announcements, etc

Good luck with your stay in SZ, and let me know if you have any more questions. Where will you be working?

Just a quick question for those who have been here longer!

So I moved to Hangzhou almost 3 months or so ago. I chose Hangzhou because i had heard the pollution wasn't so bad here.

Well, so far it's been pretty awful. I would like to complete my next 10months here because the job isn't so bad and i want to get more experience teaching to qualify for a MA TESOL.

My question is, does it get any better? Will the summer be any better than now?

I was talking to a guy who lives in Bejing recently and he says it's always bad there which is no surprise to me! But what chance do I have of things improving down here?

I know i was probably very naive in choosing to come here but hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I never realised how much pollution can change your quality of life. That and it's so damn expensive to drink here!!!! :o

The pollution is always bad, but winter is much worse than summer.

You will adapt though. Your body gets used to it...

I just left Beijing and moved to Xiamen. Fresh air...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 agraydon1990

Hello all,

I know there has not been much activity on this forum as of late.

I'm heading to China to teach next month.

This may seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if there was any social media sites I could join before I leave?

I'm not really trying to make friends before i leave, but I'd like to get my name and profile out there so I can be ready to hit the ground running once i arrive.

Really looking forward to (slowly and probably horribly) learning Mandarin!

Thanks,
    AG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hello all,

I know there has not been much activity on this forum as of late.

I'm heading to China to teach next month.

This may seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if there was any social media sites I could join before I leave?

I'm not really trying to make friends before i leave, but I'd like to get my name and profile out there so I can be ready to hit the ground running once i arrive.

Really looking forward to (slowly and probably horribly) learning Mandarin!

Thanks,
    AG
    WeChat (微信) is a social network/messaging app that you will just not be able to get by without in China because everyone uses it. Theres others such as Weibo but wouldn't be used by foreigners really

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

What cities in china are the least polluted and have the cleanest air/most scenic? Am willing to go off the beaten track

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Hi guys.

It's looking like I will be moving to China next week ( it was a bit if a whirlwind from application to job offer). I will be based at a school in Jurong, about an hour outside of Nanjing. I have a coule of questions about moving over:

Should I buy a smartphone here before leaving, or should I wait til I get to China? Would an Irish phone work there no problem? Also, can anyone give any tips ona good company to go with for medical insurance? Can anyone recommend a VPN to get to get around the internet censorship?

If any of these questions could be answered, it wouod be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Hi guys.

It's looking like I will be moving to China next week ( it was a bit if a whirlwind from application to job offer). I will be based at a school in Jurong, about an hour outside of Nanjing. I have a coule of questions about moving over:

Should I buy a smartphone here before leaving, or should I wait til I get to China? Would an Irish phone work there no problem? Also, can anyone give any tips ona good company to go with for medical insurance? Can anyone recommend a VPN to get to get around the internet censorship?

If any of these questions could be answered, it wouod be much appreciated!

OH working in China Past four years so asked him some questions.. He recommends Astril VPN , also he says get your phone at home and get it set up you can get a Chinese sim when you arrive, prices are more or less similar to what you pay at home anyway for known brands..
    His medical is taken care of my his work.. But I can ask him what others use if someone does not get back to you before you leave,
    When are you departing?
    Wishing you safe travels, and an adventure filled with Joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    OH working in China Past four years so asked him some questions.. He recommends Astril VPN , also he says get your phone at home and get it set up you can get a Chinese sim when you arrive, prices are more or less similar to what you pay at home anyway for known brands..
    His medical is taken care of my his work.. But I can ask him what others use if someone does not get back to you before you leave,
    When are you departing?
    Wishing you safe travels, and an adventure filled with Joy.

Thanks so much for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

thanks so much for the advice!
    Are you finding your feet Okay, I am in Shanghai the past few weeks heading to Guilin/Yangshou for a few days, then back to Shanghai again until the end of the month.. So I will
    Need to find somewhere to watch the All Ireland football final..lol
    So hope your enjoying China Life,

Advertisement