Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

SAnx wrote: »
    Think cognitive behavioural therapy would be good have you tried it? Cant recomment it highly enough!

Yeah, I think you're right.
    Might try and find a cbt therapist tomorrow.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SAnx

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Been on effexor for almost 12 years now- It works very well for me. I have had 2/3 very tough periods of time but always came out of it.
    I'm interested to know has anyone else been taking effexor this long? What are their experiences of it?

I have been on the dreaded seroxat and zyprexa they work great but weight gain was a issue in the start so hade to do more training to counter that, first few weeks were ruff but now its fine, at this stage i could come off them but i want a really good full year where i am in full controll of over-anxiety and get used to normal anxiety first so im in no rush.

Hows the effexor going?

Yeah, I think you're right.
    Might try and find a cbt therapist tomorrow.
    Thanks.

Do it in the Matter its FREE! :)
    Honestly you wont be sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

My BF has split up with me because he's depressed. He's been depressed before and gone to his GP for meds, but not this time. I'm worried about him, but not sure what to do. Do I take him at his word and leave him alone or do I keep in touch and let him know that I love him and care for him. When he's ok he is the loveliest, kindest, gentlest man in the world, but when he gets depressed, he just completely withdraws and rejects any kind of contact. I'm finding this very difficult, I want to be with him to support him and be there for him, but if someone tells you that its over when they're depressed should I just accept that and move on? Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I have been on the dreaded seroxat and zyprexa they work great but weight gain was a issue in the start so hade to do more training to counter that, first few weeks were ruff but now its fine, at this stage i could come off them but i want a really good full year where i am in full controll of over-anxiety and get used to normal anxiety first so im in no rush.

Hows the effexor going?
    It may sound weird but having been on effexor for 12 years I can't really remember what it was like before I took it! Even now I don't even know if it has any side effects for me! It works very well for me and If i have to take it for the rest of my life then I'm very ok with that.
    Under supervision from my gp I tried to wean off it once or twice over the last couple of years but the physical withdrawal was horrendous-I'm now more than happy to keep taking it as it makes me feel 'normal'

Things have been exeptionally good over the last few years & still now but I know what its like to be in that dark place and I'd like to say to all here that are not feeling well at the moment that you will get out of it even though it feels that you never will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Printemps93

and even in here no one wants to know

Cabra wrote: »
    My BF has split up with me because he's depressed. He's been depressed before and gone to his GP for meds, but not this time. I'm worried about him, but not sure what to do. Do I take him at his word and leave him alone or do I keep in touch and let him know that I love him and care for him. When he's ok he is the loveliest, kindest, gentlest man in the world, but when he gets depressed, he just completely withdraws and rejects any kind of contact. I'm finding this very difficult, I want to be with him to support him and be there for him, but if someone tells you that its over when they're depressed should I just accept that and move on? Any advice would be appreciated

Hi im Noel, just my advice would be first off he really needs to see the gp if he goes into such lows like that, its really not healty for him. And it is treatable i think alot of people with depression and anxiety give up on treatment, every single person is different so it a matter of finding out what works for you. Does he break up with you often when he is down?
    For me when depression was at its worst i felf almost a burden to everyone so i put distance between everyone i could but when i felt ok the londlyness kicked in so it was a vicious circle. My advice would be if you want to stay with him and are in it for the long haul to seek treatment when he is ok to as in not on a down, for now i would make sure he sees his gp even if you have to do it through his family. hope this helps.

and even in here no one wants to know

I do Hi whats up??

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

the worst thing about my depression is ive lost the real me.theres days that i just seem to be in no mans land,trying to escape from something that i cant see or explain

I do Hi whats up??

I posted 2 pages back

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Noel - I do text him just to see that he's ok & I have continued to urge him to go to his GP, but I cant make him - he has to make that decision for himself - I want to be in it for the long haul, but I cant make it work on my own - I dont even need him to meet me half way - some indication that he wanted to work on this would be enough. This is the first time he's broken up with me, saying that he's a waste of space and that I deserve to be with someone who can give me the time and affection I need. We've been together for 3 years - when he's been depressed before he has at least tried to get help and talked to me about it

Having spent the last week wondering about my life
    I really do feel as though I'd be better off dead . Strike that I wish I were dead , everything would be a lot easier if I were dead . There isnt any pills that block out memories and I cannot help thinking back over mine .
    I want to just disappear

Dont give up i was abused when i was 5 by my teacher she tought me at that age not to trust anyone and made me feel as if i done something wrong, thats where my anxiety came from, But you can heal your past, you can cut the link of your past so it does not come to you each minute of the day. I worked at it for years but now if i knew what i know now it would not have taken so long, Now when i think of my past i pity the person and i have changed that from hate and anger. Hope this helps Noel

Thanks for the advice Noel - I do text him just to see that he's ok & I have continued to urge him to go to his GP, but I cant make him - he has to make that decision for himself - I want to be in it for the long haul, but I cant make it work on my own - I dont even need him to meet me half way - some indication that he wanted to work on this would be enough. This is the first time he's broken up with me, saying that he's a waste of space and that I deserve to be with someone who can give me the time and affection I need. We've been together for 3 years - when he's been depressed before he has at least tried to get help and talked to me about it

You obviously care a great deal for him, and your right all the help in the world is no good if he is not willing to take it, He really sounds down, It so hard to give advice to this situation ,i feel so bad for him because he does sound down and even tho he broke up with you he is (in a round about way) looking out for you wanting you to have the best, But decisions need to be made for your well being also their is no point in being with some one that is self destructing and does not ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Having spent the last week wondering about my life
    I really do feel as though I'd be better off dead . Strike that I wish I were dead , everything would be a lot easier if I were dead . There isnt any pills that block out memories and I cannot help thinking back over mine .
    I want to just disappear

That's true about memories.
    But you can definitely learn to accept them.
    I've done this before.
    Some though I have blocked out and refuse to even begin thinking of them until I can handle them.
    I don't know, I guess you get yourself to a good metaphorical place, and then try and work through them.
    If you are feeling like you might actually kill yourself though, I hope you will tell this to a medical professional.

It's all sh1t.
    Especially when no one around you 'gets' it.
    Go away stoopid illness, ugh.

the worst thing about my depression is ive lost the real me.theres days that i just seem to be in no mans land,trying to escape from something that i cant see or explain

I know what you mean, have you tryed talking to anyone?

Wow alot of typing sorry if i am bugging anyone let me know k

Dont give up i was abused when i was 5 by my teacher she tought me at that age not to trust anyone and made me feel as if i done something wrong, thats where my anxiety came from, But you can heal your past, you can cut the link of your past so it does not come to you each minute of the day. I worked at it for years but now if i knew what i know now it would not have taken so long, Now when i think of my past i pity the person and i have changed that from hate and anger.

Having been assaulted by my teacher when it was illegal I know what It was like . There are plenty of memories that I just know if I died ill be burying with me and all I can think of is pro's
    I've made 2 lists pro's and cons of how everything would be so much better without me
    i have 37 pros and 3 cons that are not sufficient enough to outweigh the pro's .
    been feeling like this since the start of this year and pro list just keeps building

That's true about memories.
    But you can definitely learn to accept them.
    I've done this before.
    Some though I have blocked out and refuse to even begin thinking of them until I can handle them.
    I don't know, I guess you get yourself to a good metaphorical place, and then try and work through them.
    If you are feeling like you might actually kill yourself though, I hope you will tell this to a medical professional.

It's all sh1t.
    Especially when no one around you 'gets' it.
    Go away stoopid illness, ugh.

how do you get there Ive tried for years

as for killing myself my Doctor knows im hardly hanging on

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

hey SAnx,i have ive done it all,im off my meds now as for me i taught the meds were just surpressing my taughts puting them locked up for a few hours so i made the move to fight it on my own.im doing ok but to b honest i find life hard at the moment:mad:,im only 36 but like a lot here ive been through enough and jesus can i take any more i dont think i can.and then u talk to the nurse that calls and i look into his eyes and just for a moment i think ,what does he really think does he think im mad/angry/ or is he thinking about geting home to his dinner.ah his good to b fair im very deep so i think he finds it hard to get me to tell him whats going on:(

Having been assaulted by my teacher when it was illegal I know what It was like . There are plenty of memories that I just know if I died ill be burying with me and all I can think of is pro's
    I've made 2 lists pro's and cons of how everything would be so much better without me
    i have 37 pros and 3 cons that are not sufficient enough to outweigh the pro's .
    been feeling like this since the start of this year and pro list just keeps building

These are really dangerious exercises to be doing (pro&cons) And is only strengining negative thoughts, Put the negitive page in the bin and hang the positive one on the wall that says all your good and add to it every day, The way you are feeling now you need to visit your GP as all the advice here is not professional. They know whats the best way to get you back on your feet

• Advertisement

You obviously care a great deal for him, and your right all the help in the world is no good if he is not willing to take it, He really sounds down, It so hard to give advice to this situation ,i feel so bad for him because he does sound down and even tho he broke up with you he is (in a round about way) looking out for you wanting you to have the best, But decisions need to be made for your well being also their is no point in being with some one that is self destructing and does not ask for help.

Yes I do care alot for him, he's a good man - but i'm beginning to think I have to respect his wishes and leave him be - its been a month now since I've seen him and he was just so wrecked and exhausted from it all - but he made it clear he doesnt want to see me and now I feel that even my texts are an intrusion in his hopelessness, even though he says he still loves me.

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Been on effexor for almost 12 years now- It works very well for me. I have had 2/3 very tough periods of time but always came out of it.
    I'm interested to know has anyone else been taking effexor this long? What are their experiences of it?

I was taking it for about 6 months but found it really rough on me, was making me quite sick at times. I didn't keep up with it, mostly because I never realistically wanted to medicate.

These are really dangerious exercises to be doing (pro&cons) And is only strengining negative thoughts, Put the negitive page in the bin and hang the positive one on the wall that says all your good and add to it every day, The way you are feeling now you need to visit your GP as all the advice here is not professional. They know whats the best way to get you back on your feet

I'm not in any immediate danger I've been feeling like this the past week nothing my gp can do for me , trying to change shrinks couldnt be more impossible tho so that doesnt help and im no longer in counselling for some reason unknown

hey SAnx,i have ive done it all,im off my meds now as for me i taught the meds were just surpressing my taughts puting them locked up for a few hours so i made the move to fight it on my own.im doing ok but to b honest i find life hard at the moment:mad:,im only 36 but like a lot here ive been through enough and jesus can i take any more i dont think i can.and then u talk to the nurse that calls and i look into his eyes and just for a moment i think ,what does he really think does he think im mad/angry/ or is he thinking about geting home to his dinner.ah his good to b fair im very deep so i think he finds it hard to get me to tell him whats going on:(

Good for you you are of the tablets, but never forget their is no shame in going back on them or trying different ones at any time if you need help. Hey all the greats are deep thinkers :) more then likely he is thinking about the morgage his wife holidays , A big thing i had and still have to work on is waiting rooms im at the stage of putting on a show as in i will be sure to great people that come in, smile and flick through a mag pretending to read it, i can read but i am really trying not to think. . .jes its hard work but its good for me to relax,It may sound strange but i imagened what the advarage guy my age does in a waiting room and copy him ha :) and i have been practicing ever sence! I dont know am i getting my point across but with depression and anxiety i forgot what i was ment to be . . .and after thinking long and hard about lots of situations i would be in i got a image back of who i wanted to be .A average good guy with lots to offer and a really good understanding of myself. Im not their yet but thats half the fun :) Think positive!

Good for you you are of the tablets, but never forget their is no shame in going back on them or trying different ones at any time if you need help. Hey all the greats are deep thinkers :) more then likely he is thinking about the morgage his wife holidays , A big thing i had and still have to work on is waiting rooms im at the stage of putting on a show as in i will be sure to great people that come in, smile and flick through a mag pretending to read it, i can read but i am really trying not to think. . .jes its hard work but its good for me to relax,It may sound strange but i imagened what the advarage guy my age does in a waiting room and copy him ha :) and i have been practicing ever sence! I dont know am i getting my point across but with depression and anxiety i forgot what i was ment to be . . .and after thinking long and hard about lots of situations i would be in i got a image back of who i wanted to be .A average good guy with lots to offer and a really good understanding of myself. Im not their yet but thats half the fun :) Think positive!

Should of put a comma between wife and holidays ha bad joke :)

I'm not in any immediate danger I've been feeling like this the past week nothing my gp can do for me , trying to change shrinks couldnt be more impossible tho so that doesnt help and im no longer in counselling for some reason unknown

You mind me asking what side of the country you are from?

You mind me asking what side of the country you are from?

yes very much so

Yes I do care alot for him, he's a good man - but i'm beginning to think I have to respect his wishes and leave him be - its been a month now since I've seen him and he was just so wrecked and exhausted from it all - but he made it clear he doesnt want to see me and now I feel that even my texts are an intrusion in his hopelessness, even though he says he still loves me.

Im not being really mean here but you cant do that to sombody push them away with one hand and tell you they love you with the other im sorry but thats wrong

yes very much so

sorry just trying to help you find treatment, Ment no harm by it

• Advertisement

sorry just trying to help you find treatment, Ment no harm by it

ive tried most routes myself and other routes id need a doc for but trying to change docs is hard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement