Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ElBarco wrote: »
    robinph wrote: »
    I thought they would be supplying you with a new one once they are out of warranty?

I think you need to get approval from the HSE for this - it's not automatic. Mine is out of warranty later this year and I've started the process with my clinic. Well, I've said it to them and they tell me they've started the process...

I'll have to get back in touch with them now. But I was never informed about any of this tbh. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes really. My temporary pump will be arriving today so hopefully that will give me enough time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'll have to get back in touch with them now. But I was never informed about any of this tbh. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes really. My temporary pump will be arriving today so hopefully that will give me enough time.

Whats the difference between the temporary and the actual pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

It could be different in your clinic but that's how mine operates. They didn't volunteer the information by the way. Long bitter experience in IT makes me paranoid about warranties.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Whats the difference between the temporary and the actual pump?

As in, my pump is out of warranty, so they sent me out a loan of a pump for 3 months to give me some chance to get a replacement.

Only trouble is that they sent out the wrong one...god damn it....

EDIT: Turns out the one they sent me will actually work with the supplies i have...phew

I have a minimed 512, and they sent a larger 712 which i just figured would need larger reservoirs...turns out the small ones fit just fine.

As in, my pump is out of warranty, so they sent me out a loan of a pump for 3 months to give me some chance to get a replacement.

Only trouble is that they sent out the wrong one...god damn it....

EDIT: Turns out the one they sent me will actually work with the supplies i have...phew

I have a minimed 512, and they sent a larger 712 which i just figured would need larger reservoirs...turns out the small ones fit just fine.

Ah, the way you said temp, I thought it was one that would not last. Can they not just leave you with that one if it is the same or close enough and just replenish their stocks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I seem to be alternating between being hypo aware and hypo unaware, which is getting pretty annoying tbh.

I've had 3 in the past day. One an hour before going to bed which I caught because I felt hypo, another that happened while I was asleep that I actually woke up for (that almost never happens) but the one that I had just now involved me going all the way down to 3.1 and only noticing because my screen was kind of hard to read.

My endo calls this significant alteration in vision as being hypo unaware because apparently I'm waiting for neurological effects to begin before I can know that something's up.

Has anyone ever become hypo unaware and then returned to awareness again? Does it take long?

Has anyone ever become hypo unaware and then returned to awareness again? Does it take long?

I imagine it is different for each person and depends on how tight your control is for awhile/how long its been gone, as well as just variations from person to person. When I lost mine it returned in a few weeks (3 to 4) (could have been earlier but I was just that good :cool: ). The nurses at the time told me it could take anywhere from a fortnight to 6 months, I was surprised mine returned so quickly as I could get down below 2 with no noticeable symptoms (IMO everyone else disagreed and said it was really obvious) before hand and then could pick it up anywhere below 3.5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I never oick mine up unless I am 2 or less and then I would tend to start fitting at about 1 which is not a big difference! I still keep my control very tight but am starting to loosen it a bit. A few years ago a blood sugar of 4.5 would have made me feel low.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

CramCycle wrote: »
    ...everyone else disagreed and said it was really obvious) before hand and then could pick it up anywhere below 3.5.

That really annoys me, but only when it's the mother doing so. I appreciate people pointing out that things might not quite be right and prompting me to take some Lucozade, but then "certain people" try and accuse me of being hypo just when I happen to disagree with them about something. :D

I'm tending to be hypo aware at about 3.5-4 at the moment, but it depends a bit on which meter I'm using at the time.

That really annoys me, but only when it's the mother doing so. I appreciate people pointing out that things might not quite be right and prompting me to take some Lucozade, but then "certain people" try and accuse me of being hypo just when I happen to disagree with them about something. :D

Used to have an issue with an ex (many moons ago) in the same vein, we would be having a discussion and we would disagree, then I would have a hypo, she would point it out and while getting in some sugar she would say that I can't be talked too when I am having a hypo (she is right but I shut up when I see the glucometer reading), but for the rest of the discussion/day/week the tone would be "your wrong, your still recovering, your still having a hypo, your an ass why can't you admit when your wrong". After awhile it turned into "HAVE A LUCOZADE" during every discussion and "YOU SAID YOURSELF THAT THEY CAN BE mildly INACCURATE" if a meter reading was taken to show I was OK!

I finally did admit I was wrong and left her for greener pastures :pac:

TMI as kids today say, TMI

• Advertisement

So the process has begun for me to get a new pump. An application has been sent to the HSE for an Animas pump. I wonder how long its going to take, as of now my consultant doesn't know and is saying it could be weeks. Who knows really. I suppose when you realise that these things cost 7000+ dollars it's understandable enough!

So the process has begun for me to get a new pump. An application has been sent to the HSE for an Animas pump. I wonder how long its going to take, as of now my consultant doesn't know and is saying it could be weeks. Who knows really. I suppose when you realise that these things cost 7000+ dollars it's understandable enough!

At least the ball is rolling on it. I'll let you know if/when I hear anything myself.

Reading about it has reminded me to write down my basal rates somewhere though. I'd be in trouble if I had to come up with them off the top of my head if the pump gave up.

I'm actually very curious to find out how long this would take. I could never work out how much was my consultant delaying it vs. how much the HSE were delaying it. (I have a new doctor now, didn't get on terribly well with the old one towards the end).

Rang about my HbA1c today (after over a month of waiting for them to post it or phone me with it). Turns out that I correctly predicted the junior doc had taken the sample improperly and was informed by the secretary that the lab just said it wasn't usable. I'll get it done myself and phone them with it.

I had another hypo earlier today (bringing me to four in about 24 hours). I've had about 2 hours sleep because I was actually a little afraid of chancing sleeping. Think I might be a little under the weather so I'm guessing that's what's throwing me completely recently.

Anyone want to come manage my life for a while? :pac:

I have several hypos a day, I think that it is harder when you are keeping tigtht control.

That's the thing that annoys me though;

I don't regard my control as being particularly good. I'm trying to make it better but I'm not getting to where I want to be. I've been up as high as 14.5 today (and I probably went higher than that again, just didn't test it at that level). I occasionally hit 20s. I just oscillate way too much.

I know it's a constant thing but it's annoying that I never seem to be happy that I'm consistently going in the right direction with it. When I first got my pump, I actually almost went mad with power that I could now approach something resembling control (I lowered my HbA1c by 3% in about 3 months, my nurse was more than a little concerned and pretty much told me not to be quite so trigger happy). And then for ages I was frustratingly high a lot and recently I'm everywhere.

That sleeping thing is my main problem. There are a lot of nights when I'm so scared of going hypo in my sleep that I just raise my sugars for the sake of what I incorrectly perceive to be an easy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I'm near sure it's €3500, it was on TV the other day about the cost price vs the insurance price in England but I just didn't fully catch it.

I'm near sure the figures were £3000 to buy and £5000 to insure. Bloody currencies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was told to get mine covered for £3120 on the contents insurance.

That's the thing that annoys me though;

I don't regard my control as being particularly good. I'm trying to make it better but I'm not getting to where I want to be. I've been up as high as 14.5 today (and I probably went higher than that again, just didn't test it at that level). I occasionally hit 20s. I just oscillate way too much.

I know it's a constant thing but it's annoying that I never seem to be happy that I'm consistently going in the right direction with it. When I first got my pump, I actually almost went mad with power that I could now approach something resembling control (I lowered my HbA1c by 3% in about 3 months, my nurse was more than a little concerned and pretty much told me not to be quite so trigger happy). And then for ages I was frustratingly high a lot and recently I'm everywhere.

That sleeping thing is my main problem. There are a lot of nights when I'm so scared of going hypo in my sleep that I just raise my sugars for the sake of what I incorrectly perceive to be an easy life.
    I can relate to the sleep thing, my blood sugars are higher at night because I am scared of not waking up.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I have several hypos a day, I think that it is harder when you are keeping tigtht control.

Agreed. I had a very nasty low the other day when I had my son with me at the shops. It came on very quickly and was quite bad (1.9). He's 18 months old and a handful at the best of times. It was bloody terrifying - I couldn't think and when I did manage to get it back up I was shaking at how easily he could have gotten away from me and into traffic.

The good news was that he got quite a few chocolate fingers as I was trying to sort myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys.....

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the following. I am assuming this is the right thread as it concerns diabetes but apologies mods if it isnt!!

So, eight months ago (Jan) I got a job as a Weekend Manager in retail. Now it is safe to say that the company is THE leading retailer in the country at the moment. I initially applied for the position as it was Weekends as I know with retail the hours were scarily long so therefore opted to for the weekend position so that I would be able to control my diabetes accordingly. I am Type 1 diabetic for the last 13 years and have (had!!!) excellent control with my HBA1C always in or around the 7 mark. From the begining it became clear that this job was anything but weekend with me averaging about 45hours a week. These hours came at a cost to my diabetes and over the last few months my diabetes control has expectedly began to worsen with my numbers ever increasing!

Basically enough was enough last week and I decided I can no longer go on like this that my long term health is more important than their short term gains. I verbally requested that they reduce my hours with no being the response. I then put it in writing with them again stonewalling me. So for a finish I handed in my notice and my last day was yesterday.

I was considering writing a letter to head office about the whole situation as while store level senior management were horrible, head office I feel would be horrified to know of such antics. Am I being a total an utter whinge bag or have I been wronged in some way??!! Because while I myself dont like to classify diabetes as a serious condition there is no doubt it does impact your life and how you have to live it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Hi guys,

My doctor had put me on dovobet for psoriasis (classic autoimmune comorbidity :()
    anyways one of the side affects is blood sugar swings in diabetes, Im not sure if this affects type 1's or just 2's. Has anyone ever used this?!??!
    cheers guys, i posted the same question in the psoriasis thread as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Mrs P wrote: »
    Hey guys.....

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the following. I am assuming this is the right thread as it concerns diabetes but apologies mods if it isnt!!

So, eight months ago (Jan) I got a job as a Weekend Manager in retail. Now it is safe to say that the company is THE leading retailer in the country at the moment. I initially applied for the position as it was Weekends as I know with retail the hours were scarily long so therefore opted to for the weekend position so that I would be able to control my diabetes accordingly. I am Type 1 diabetic for the last 13 years and have (had!!!) excellent control with my HBA1C always in or around the 7 mark. From the begining it became clear that this job was anything but weekend with me averaging about 45hours a week. These hours came at a cost to my diabetes and over the last few months my diabetes control has expectedly began to worsen with my numbers ever increasing!

Basically enough was enough last week and I decided I can no longer go on like this that my long term health is more important than their short term gains. I verbally requested that they reduce my hours with no being the response. I then put it in writing with them again stonewalling me. So for a finish I handed in my notice and my last day was yesterday.

I was considering writing a letter to head office about the whole situation as while store level senior management were horrible, head office I feel would be horrified to know of such antics. Am I being a total an utter whinge bag or have I been wronged in some way??!! Because while I myself dont like to classify diabetes as a serious condition there is no doubt it does impact your life and how you have to live it!!

Two questions come to my mind about your situation.
    1) Did you talk to your diabetes team about a plan to deal with your new schedule?

2) What exactly did your contract say inrelation to your hours? If you do have a situation of unfair treatment it might be worth getting advise from the Citizen's Information office.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Im going to sound a bit harsh here but in fairness if you cannot control your diabetes while working a 45 hour week then you should not work those hours.
    It is not your employers fault you are unable to balance diabetes and work.
    They obviously need a person capable of working a 45 hour week and you are unable to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

eilo1 wrote: »
    Im going to sound a bit harsh here but in fairness if you cannot control your diabetes while working a 45 hour week then you should not work those hours.
    It is not your employers fault you are unable to balance diabetes and work.
    They obviously need a person capable of working a 45 hour week and you are unable to do so.

have to say - I agree. and I'm diabetic myself!

tbh wrote: »
    have to say - I agree. and I'm diabetic myself!

Me three.

But, there may be something in them changing the terms of your employment and not making reasonable allowances for you.

I did "survive" a few years of working night shifts a while back, but the company knew all about the diabetes and luckily I happened to get away with never having had any actual real issues during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

http://www.startribune.com/business/128427593.html

I have heard a lot of stories about how their customer service is terrible and apparently this bad business practice starts at the top.

The HSE awarded Medtronic the contract of supplying all of the insulin pumps for it's patients. So most people who get pumps in the future will have Medtronic pumps, so we should be aware of what we are in for.

graflynn wrote: »

The HSE awarded Medtronic the contract of supplying all of the insulin pumps for it's patients. So most people who get pumps in the future will have Medtronic pumps, so we should be aware of what we are in for.

I hadn't heard this. Was there an official announcement?

Pretty poor response from Meditronic by the sounds of it from a PR point of view, as all the stories were already of the scare mongering variety, and they are now going to add that Meditronic are an "evil" company that doesn't care about it's patients.

The device was hacked, but there isn't really any genuine risk. Unless you are the president of some dictatorship then nobody is going to care enough or be close enough to you for long enough to have any effect. Even if someone did give you an extra bolus or two, you'd soon know enough and just have some more glucose and the problem would be passed.

It would be an issue if an non-diabetic was given insulin unexpectedly, along the lines of the recent incidents at the hospital in the UK. But other than getting an unexplained hypo at an inopportune moment I can't really see it being much of a risk for an already insulin dependant diabetic as they will know what is happening and fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

...But other than getting an unexplained hypo at an inopportune moment I can't really see it being much of a risk for an already insulin dependant diabetic as they will know what is happening and fix it.
    Thats if they are hypo aware. If not...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

ElBarco wrote: »
    I hadn't heard this. Was there an official announcement?

I'll be strange and reply to my own question. I was speaking with my clinic this morning. Apparently the HSE have set up a contract with Medtronic and that anyone getting a pump for the next year will get a medtronic one. Hopefully this means they've managed to get a preferential rate for for the devices and supplies.

Advertisement