Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap prepay android phone(samsung europa) 39€

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Mines 2.2. bought it online on wednesday

Great - thanks. It sounds like they are shipping ver 2.2.

Can anyone confirm if WIFI tethering is enabled on this phone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

patrickpc wrote: »
    Great - thanks. It sounds like they are shipping ver 2.2.

Can anyone confirm if WIFI tethering is enabled on this phone ?

It is indeed, I had my ipad connected with no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

I bought one of these for my wife a few months ago. She's happy enough with it, few niggles with the size of the on screen keyboard for typing, but in general she likes the phone.
    The version she got came with 2.1 eclair but I upgraded it to 2.2 for her.(seems to be shipping with 2.2 as standard now, but is easy to flash the rom if required).
    For anyone wanting to unlock their I5500 Europa - I used this crowd

http://www.mobile2mobile.net/unlock/RemoteunlockingSamsung.htm

I Opted for the software unlock - cheaper at £9.99 than the code unlock which costs £19.99
    They email you the code, you need to download some software from their site, connect your phone via usb to your pc and input the code and Roberts your Fathers brother!
    All worked without a hitch for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,178 ✭✭✭✭noodler

iPhone. wrote: »
    I bought one of these for my wife a few months ago. She's happy enough with it, few niggles with the size of the on screen keyboard for typing, but in general she likes the phone.
    The version she got came with 2.1 eclair but I upgraded it to 2.2 for her.(seems to be shipping with 2.2 as standard now, but is easy to flash the rom if required).
    For anyone wanting to unlock their I5500 Europa - I used this crowd

http://www.mobile2mobile.net/unlock/RemoteunlockingSamsung.htm

I Opted for the software unlock - cheaper at £9.99 than the code unlock which costs £19.99
    They email you the code, you need to download some software from their site, connect your phone via usb to your pc and input the code and Roberts your Fathers brother!
    All worked without a hitch for me anyway.

Thanks for that dude - kind of want to stay with Meteor to use this (don't ask me why, have no idea why Meteor would be preferable to 3!) and your post just reassured me that I can get it unlocked if I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i used kies there and upgraded to 2.2. also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I've been nagging my dad to get let me get this for a few days now, just for flash so I can stream F1 and other sports. It's the additional Micro usb cable and charger that sold it to him :D We both have LG Optimus 7's (brother has one too) and we never have enough cables/chargers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    I know in browser flash isn't supported, but isn't there SkyFire or an app like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It isn't just the clock speed that is a hurdle, the ARM6 processor means it is quite likely there will never be official Flash support. There is hacking\bodging taking place, by a group on XDA and various other forums, but that may take a while, if ever..

One of the browsers (I forget which one, sorry), does allow you to play YouTube, on the full YouTube site page, if you get me.. but that's quite probably just streaming .mp4

The stand alone YouTube application works fine otherwise.

• Advertisement

But skyfire should still work shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

mtb_kng wrote: »
    But skyfire should still work shouldn't it?

Taken from a support forum.
    Android phones with qVGA resolution, such as the GT-i5500, are not supported in the current release of Skyfire. Support for qVGA devices is planned for a future release.

You can probably sideload it.. but I wouldn't chance paying for the video plugin until you're sure it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I've been nagging my dad to get let me get this for a few days now, just for flash so I can stream F1 and other sports. It's the additional Micro usb cable and charger that sold it to him :D We both have LG Optimus 7's (brother has one too) and we never have enough cables/chargers :)

Loads of micro usb cables on ebay for 99p delivered. Got one myself and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

How long does it take for the phone to arrive? The order status is "Dispatched" on the website since 3pm yesterday. Just wondering if I should be expecting it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    How long does it take for the phone to arrive? The order status is "Dispatched" on the website since 3pm yesterday. Just wondering if I should be expecting it today?

If ordered b4 four then it should be delivered the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Ordered mine over the weekend, was dispatched yesterday and courier arrived with it this morning

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anyone else having trouble with delivery?

I'm not at home, but there is someone at home to accept delivery.

Couriers won't release the package to anyone but the named person which means I've to go to the depot on Saturday morning. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭wait4me

Jonathan wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with delivery?

I'm not at home, but there is someone at home to accept delivery.

Couriers won't release the package to anyone but the named person which means I've to go to the depot on Saturday morning. :mad:
    I was worried about this as I got the following in my confirmation:
    "Your mobile can only be delivered to you in person and you will need to show the courier the payment card you used to place your order as proof of identity. "

Anybody know which courier firm is delivering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Had mine yesterday, flashed it, unlocked it. Is a steal at €39, a very nice phone. One of my best BA purchases.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Had mine yesterday, flashed it, unlocked it. Is a steal at €39, a very nice phone. One of my best BA purchases.

I assume you had to pay as well to get it unlocked?

I really want to make it an even better BA by unlocking it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

wait4me wrote: »
    Nightline Delivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

noodler wrote: »
    I assume you had to pay as well to get it unlocked?

I really want to make it an even better BA by unlocking it for free.

It is possible to unlock for free but I wouldn't bother. Basically you have to flash the entire thing twice with specific roms. Double the chance of bricking it. I used the Odin method to remove all the branding, get 2.2 on there etc then paid €7 odd to get an unlock code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Mine just arrived. Very nifty wee phone. The onscreen keyboard will take a bit of getting used to with my massive thumbs.

It is possible to unlock for free but I wouldn't bother. Basically you have to flash the entire thing twice with specific roms. Double the chance of bricking it. I used the Odin method to remove all the branding, get 2.2 on there etc then paid €7 odd to get an unlock code.

Cheers.

Is there any tangible reason to remove the branding?

I am happy enough for a simple unlock.

EDIT:

By the way, why to these third-party sites have the unlock codes but 3 and Samsung do not? Seems like they are kind of missing a trick here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

wait4me wrote: »
    I was worried about this as I got the following in my confirmation:
    "Your mobile can only be delivered to you in person and you will need to show the courier the payment card you used to place your order as proof of identity. "

I didn't have to do any of that, no ID, no payment card, no nothing. Just signed for the package and that was it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys if you want to spend an extra €10 you can get this in CarphoneWarehouse - no delivery worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I didn't have to do any of that, no ID, no payment card, no nothing. Just signed for the package and that was it.

Me too.

Thanks BA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pigck29

Can I ask where did you lock the phone please? the cheapest I can find online is €16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

pigck29 wrote: »
    Can I ask where did you lock the phone please? the cheapest I can find online is €16.

https://www.fastgsm.com/en/samsung/samsung/galaxy-europa/unlock-code/network-unlocker

~7euro. You're not going to find any cheaper than that. Just used it to unlock one there. Straight forward and instant. There's even a step by step youtube video to guide you through it.

• Advertisement

I'm new to all this. Can you provide a link to this "Odin method" and maybe even explain what it is please?
    pigck29 wrote: »

This post says you can unlock it for only $10 so I'm going with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement