Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Animas one has a pretty sturdy metal clip that itself locks into the body of the pump. It all stayed in place fine when I got tripped up in a race last week and I went rolling down the road. You'll have to wait a bit before I can verify how secure it is during other daft activities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hate to be the one to ask it but whats it like during more "intimate" occasions (trying not to get myself banned with the language)? or is this something I should just bring up with the diabetes team at my next appointment when I demand my pump.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hate to be the one to ask it but whats it like during more "intimate" occasions (trying not to get myself banned with the language)? or is this something I should just bring up with the diabetes team at my next appointment when I demand my pump.
    Ahem, I was thinking the same thing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just unplug for the duration so you don't get all tangled up.

Remember to plug back in again afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

robinph wrote: »
    Just unplug for the duration so you don't get all tangled up.

Remember to plug back in again afterwards.

plug in after you've plugged i....eh....../nvm:pac:

• Advertisement

Damn, I missed that one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Ahem, I was thinking the same thing!

Fairly minimal impact. Just disconnect and reconnect when ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Can a type 1 diabetic work as cabin crew for an airline?

xxshebeexx wrote: »

No reason why not, AFAIK the armed forces/services is the only job description we can be excluded from, some employers demand a letter from your doctor confirming you have had good control/no mishaps for a long stretch, e-mailing the likes of Aer Lingus would be your best bet but as I have done for all my jobs before, I hid the fact I was a diabetic until I had established myself as a competent worker, not that I am saying you should have to, just found it to make life easier.

Should be OK I think.

Would be next to impossible to get a job in the front seats flying it though, although I'm sure I've heard of some pilot who managed to keep his ratings after diagnosis. But they were already in the job then. Getting some jobs once you're already diagnosed will be tough, or just plain banned.

Mostly along the lines of situations where having a hypo is an incredibly bad idea, you are responsible for other peoples lives and the job doesn't really allow for you to take a couple of minutes off to drink some Lucozade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Should be OK I think.

Would be next to impossible to get a job in the front seats flying it though, although I'm sure I've heard of some pilot who managed to keep his ratings after diagnosis. But they were already in the job then. Getting some jobs once you're already diagnosed will be tough, or just plain banned.

Mostly along the lines of situations where having a hypo is an incredibly bad idea, you are responsible for other peoples lives and the job doesn't really allow for you to take a couple of minutes off to drink some Lucozade.
    No reason why not, AFAIK the armed forces/services is the only job description we can be excluded from, some employers demand a letter from your doctor confirming you have had good control/no mishaps for a long stretch, e-mailing the likes of Aer Lingus would be your best bet but as I have done for all my jobs before, I hid the fact I was a diabetic until I had established myself as a competent worker, not that I am saying you should have to, just found it to make life easier.

Thanks, guys, what you're saying makes sense. I did some googling before and some British websites include it in the category of airline pilots and say you can't, but I wasn't really sure. It's something I've been thinking about maybe doing (urgh, trying to find a job these days as a graduate...!) but not sure if it's even worth investigating and getting excited about if I can't on account of the diabetes. Short of ringing the airlines and asking, how would I find out for sure?

Thanks, guys, what you're saying makes sense. I did some googling before and some British websites include it in the category of airline pilots and say you can't, but I wasn't really sure. It's something I've been thinking about maybe doing (urgh, trying to find a job these days as a graduate...!) but not sure if it's even worth investigating and getting excited about if I can't on account of the diabetes. Short of ringing the airlines and asking, how would I find out for sure?

unfortunately most airlines won't hire type 1's as cabin crew. This is due to the potential problems of hypos mid-shift. sorry shebee. On the plus side tho, being a stewardess would make managing your diabetes a nightmare - think of all the time-zone changes!

http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/leaflets/employment.asp?thesection=employment&thetitle=Employment&thetype=leaflet

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I wonder what the actual anti discrimination law says about not hiring people with Type 1 Diabetes. Maybe these blanket bans need to be challenged? Because with the Continuous Glucose Monitoring Devices available today there would be no reason for hypos mid shift.

I mean if a man can fly an aircraft around the world with Type 1 diabetes, why can't there be cabin crew members with Type 1?

graflynn wrote: »
    I wonder what the actual anti discrimination law says about not hiring people with Type 1 Diabetes. Maybe these blanket bans need to be challenged? Because with the Continuous Glucose Monitoring Devices available today there would be no reason for hypos mid shift.

I mean if a man can fly an aircraft around the world with Type 1 diabetes, why can't there be cabin crew members with Type 1?

hopefully it won't be something thats in place for too much longer - but I think at the moment even if you were able to do it, it'd be a bit of a nightmare - I do a fair amount of work in South America and Asia and it's a bit of a grueller adjusting insulin to take account of the different timezones.

If that is the same guy I've heard of before I think he still had to fly around a few countries on his route. Not because of US no fly zones due to bombing places, but he had to get special permission from each country to use their airspace as a diabetic.

In Ireland we are alot less strict on it than other countries. The armed forces ban is due to the obvious issues of being placed abroad and being left in a situation were access to Insulin is untenable.

The other stories about a blanket ban on other jobs such as the Gardai are in fact incorrect, a letter and examination from a doctor stating you are fit for purpose is all that is needed. This was brought up in the oireachtas a few years ago only for the senator to find that no such ban existed, despite everyone's belief to the contrary.

Anyone know what the story of working at sea is, that was under the EU directive but I never heard if it was repealed or not?

I suspect that a certain amount of the confusion in what is "banned" or not will come from UK regulations getting heard by Chinese whispers, and I apologize if I'm guilty of that at all. :D

The UK do have more restrictive driving licenses, but I actually feel better about having to renew mine every three years and that there appears to be some kind of check in my suitability to keep a license each time. I was uncomfortable when I was just given an Irish license so easily years ago, it felt wrong. They took the extra large van categories off my UK license, and it would be a bit of a palaver to get a PSV category, but I have no problem with that.

Most of the things that there are restrictions for outside of Ireland make sense though I think. I would be quite happy to have a go at piloting a plane myself, but I would not want to be a passenger in a plane being driven by a diabetic, or someone with any number of other medical conditions or dodgy eyesight.

LOL, if I knew this is what I was doing wrong all these years I would have been cured by now:

http://www.watercure2.org/diabetes_a_simple_fix.htm

:pac::pac::pac:

LOL

UCD ITT wrote:
    Are you overweight?
    Would you like to improve your health?

UCD and ITT are conducting a research study involving a walking exercise programme. Middle aged male volunteers, with or without type 2 diabetes are needed.

Please see this link for contact details or PM CramCycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LOL, if I knew this is what I was doing wrong all these years I would have been cured by now:

WTF:eek::eek:. Madness. Absolute madness. I mean, any kind of beans at night is definately going to cause problems from diabetics partners kicking them out of bed from methane toxicity:D:D:D

Just had a hypo in Tesco. :(

Was just at the till when I finally copped what was going on. Luckily I'd picked up a couple of packs of Lucozade so was stood by the till, sweating buckets, looking a bit off colour and downing a bottle that I'd not yet paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I had to quit my plans at becoming a pilot thanks to T1D, got diagnosed after I did my first set of IAA exams. At least I didn't develop it later after I had sunk tens of thousands more into the training. Did piss me off at the time though.

Did enjoy blowing my savings though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just had a hypo in Tesco. :(

Was just at the till when I finally copped what was going on. Luckily I'd picked up a couple of packs of Lucozade so was stood by the till, sweating buckets, looking a bit off colour and downing a bottle that I'd not yet paid for.
    I hate that. It happens occasionally when im away from home and my routine out of kilter. I always think of trainspotting while i am waiting for a 'fix' in the shop and am paranoid enough that they are going to think i am going to rob the lucozade or chocolate while i get out my belt and wrap it around my arm:rolleyes:

And then inject into my stomach:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just had an eye test today. Apparently todays prescription says my eyes are not as bad as last time, neither of us were overly convinced by that though, so he's having me back again in a few weeks for the contact lens check and will see what he comes up with then. Eye tests for diabetics can never be that accurate as there is too much else going on that can effect it and will test differently from one month to the next or even at different times of the day depending on BG levels. He'll see what I can see next time and then split the difference I think.

Did still see some retinopathy spot on the back of one of my eyes though. :(
    Was in a different place to the ones that were seen before so he wasn't concerned about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Just had an eye test today. Apparently todays prescription says my eyes are not as bad as last time, neither of us were overly convinced by that though, so he's having me back again in a few weeks for the contact lens check and will see what he comes up with then. Eye tests for diabetics can never be that accurate as there is too much else going on that can effect it and will test differently from one month to the next or even at different times of the day depending on BG levels. He'll see what I can see next time and then split the difference I think.

Did still see some retinopathy spot on the back of one of my eyes though. :(
    Was in a different place to the ones that were seen before so he wasn't concerned about it. :)
    I've an eye test coming up on the 9th August myself - dying to get them looked at now, as seemingly, I've a touch of Glaucoma in one. The other ones not great either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Heading into the clinic tomorrow morning, wish me luck!

I have that guilty feeling that nothing will be better:(

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hey guys, is cranberry juice suitable for a diabetic? I'm not sure which type this person has in case that's relevant info.

Advertisement