Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardstyle in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

krd wrote: »
    I think I've heard of nights running in Galway. But I'm not sure.

It is one style of music that is passionately hated by many people. I've heard someone describe it as like music to repeatedly punch someone in the face to. As music I don't think it's that bad. It's own thing.

It could be music that very young and very aggressive and very excitable people are into.

im not stereo typing young people plainly because im only 20 myself.but there does be a lot of aggresion at hardstyle events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Dbstf wrote: »
    Yes, I do get where you're coming from and you just proved my point.

What point is that? Look everyone here is a dog **** fetishist to different degrees. We all in the main have interest in underground music that sounds like utter muck to most people. If you don't like what I listen to it's no skin off my nose. You have every right to listen to hardstyle just as I have every right to think it's poo. If I taste something I don't like I don't eat a whole meal of it to prove whether I like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

What point is that? Look everyone here is a dog **** fetishist to different degrees. We all in the main have interest in underground music that sounds like utter muck to most people. If you don't like what I listen to it's no skin off my nose. You have every right to listen to hardstyle just as I have every right to think it's poo. If I taste something I don't like I don't eat a whole meal of it to prove whether I like it or not.

Why do you have to create complexions for yourself? Just listen to whatever you like. It doesn't mean that it's **** just because some people don't like it. It's a matter of opinion which everyone is entitled to. I don't go around telling other people that their music taste is **** just because I don't like it. It's completely immature and shows ignorance.

P.S Nobody is forcing you to listen to anything or to even comment on this thread for that matter. All I wanted to know when I made this thread was if people here enjoyed Hardstyle like I do, not if they think is ****. I know that it is hated here in Ireland by the majority of people but that doesn't bother me. You have to be able to get out of your box. I like many styles and I would listen to anything which is produced good and sounds nice no matter what genre it is. Classifying a style as **** is definitely not what I believe in because every style has it's own uniqueness and advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Why do you have to create complexions for yourself? Just listen to whatever you like. It doesn't mean that it's **** just because some people don't like it. It's a matter of opinion which everyone is entitled to. I don't go around telling other people that their music taste is **** just because I don't like it. It's completely immature and shows ignorance.

P.S Nobody is forcing you to listen to anything or to even comment on this thread for that matter. All I wanted to know when I made this thread was if people here enjoyed Hardstyle like I do, not if they think is ****. I know that it is hated here in Ireland by the majority of people but that doesn't bother me. You have to be able to get out of your box. I like many styles and I would listen to anything which is produced good and sounds nice no matter what genre it is. Classifying a style as **** is definitely not what I believe in because every style has it's own uniqueness and advantages.

ah but the thing your forgetting is some people round these parts know what every1 should like, or at least they think they know ;)

es-cee wrote: »
    ah but the thing your forgetting is some people round these parts know what every1 should like, or at least they think they know ;)

Ah but what you're actually forgetting is this is an open forum where people are able to express their opinions on any type of music that is discussed. Just like your opinion here es-cee:
    no they're not.

hardstyle

hardcore

both genres suck,

You've admitted you don't like it. Why are you trying to make it out to be a snobbery thing if somebody else doesn't like it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭francois

Why do you have to create complexions for yourself?

he's not good at getting a tan, that's why

francois wrote: »
    he's not good at getting a tan, that's why

Aye, it's this pasty, Celtic skin of mine. T'is a heavy cross to shoulder…

Ah but what you're actually forgetting is this is an open forum where people are able to express their opinions on any type of music that is discussed. Just like your opinion here es-cee:

You've admitted you don't like it. Why are you trying to make it out to be a snobbery thing if somebody else doesn't like it?

i don't like it, but i don't feel the need to put the chap down by refering to his particular musical choice as dog or cat sh1t.

i don't like it, but i don't feel the need to put the chap down by refering to his particular musical choice as dog or cat sh1t.

Which was an analogy along the lines of 'one man's rubbish is another man's treasure'. I wasn't putting the chap down I was just replying to his comment that 'most of the people who posted don't even know what Hardstyle is and calling something "****e" without even knowing what it is shows clear ignorance.'

I must admit to being pretty blissfully unaware of Hardstyle but after listening to the tunes posted up here I felt I learnt enough about it to know it wasn't for me. I do think it's sh¡t but remember that's just my opinion on it. I never insulted the OP for his taste in music and I never told him this is what he should be listening to instead.

Which was an analogy along the lines of 'one man's rubbish is another man's treasure'. I wasn't putting the chap down I was just replying to his comment that 'most of the people who posted don't even know what Hardstyle is and calling something "****e" without even knowing what it is shows clear ignorance.'

I must admit to being pretty blissfully unaware of Hardstyle but after listening to the tunes posted up here I felt I learnt enough about it to know it wasn't for me. I do think it's sh¡t but remember that's just my opinion on it. I never insulted the OP for his taste in music and I never told him this is what he should be listening to instead.

fair shout.

i haven't had the luxury of being blissfully unaware myself, as i'm a member of a few different uk based music sites and vids get posted every other day with the "shuffle" dance thats linked to hardstyle, seems to be a bit of a craze atm up north even with these dance offs for want of a better phrase.

• Advertisement

fair shout.

i haven't had the luxury of being blissfully unaware myself, as i'm a member of a few different uk based music sites and vids get posted every other day with the "shuffle" dance thats linked to hardstyle, seems to be a bit of a craze atm up north even with these dance offs for want of a better phrase.

I've actually seen some of those videos before. To my eyes that's woeful stuff altogether. That jumpstyle looks like a spastic trying to do Irish dancing.

I've actually seen some of those videos before. To my eyes that's woeful stuff altogether. That jumpstyle looks like a spastic trying to do Irish dancing.

yes, its terrible stuff imo too, but the younger generation seem to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

was big into hard house when i was a young lad, seen all the big names and played it myself too.

all my brothers mates were big into sasha, emmerson, underworld, orbital etc at the time, they used to tell me i would outgrow the hard house, i didnt believe it.

then i turned about 19 / 20, got into going redbox instead of the closed temple theatre and realised that all hard dance is pure sh1te.

my personal opinion / story, if you ike listening to it more power to you. not for me though

Ok. I get it now. What you don't seem to understand is that I don't like that old hardstyle or the intros and the banging with noises. I HATE that part as well. I like the NEW MELODIC part of hardstyle. Artists like D-Block & S-te-Fan, Davide Sonar, Noisecontrollers, Brennan Heart etc. I will post a few examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCtB0yEQtlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr3grVe31LU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glh8bCmu9qM

To be honest when I first heard hardstyle I was so sceptical. I liked house and techno and I hated it but then I let myself listen to some more and I heard the melodic good part of it and fell in love with it. The older hardstyle generation love the banging and the intros but most people that have started listening in the past 2-3 years love the melodic part of it. There was a lot of argument that those melodies really shouldn't be there because it's not really hardstyle with them so they started calling it "Nu-Style".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Tinie wrote: »
    Eastern europe is probably your best place to go to listen to that, as I dont think anywhere in Ireland would play that shíte to be brutally honest.

An example of why this forum is going down the pan.

I don't like hardstyle either. But live and let live.

Go through Members Mixes and look at how many of you guys play the same music.

Someone comes on here looking for info on something he's into, and he's made feel embarrassed.

Childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The Hoovers in Hardstyle are made by a different manufacturer than hardcore?
    Those hoovers are originally from the Roland Juno synth of which I am a proud owner. First used in Belgian techno tunes in the early '90s. Years before hardcore and hardstyle (which are different to each other).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

To be honest when I first heard hardstyle I was so sceptical. I liked house and techno and I hated it but then I let myself listen to some more and I heard the melodic good part of it and fell in love with it.

I think you're right. I think the music is better and cleverer than people give it credit for.

But it would be my idea of absolute hell to be in a crowd of 16 years olds, out of their minds on Red Bull, with this stuff banging.

People can really turn strongly against what they liked listening to as a teenager. It's a bit like they might listen to shouty metal when they're 13, and then be really embarrassed by it by the time they're 22 - they might be listening to Cold Play instead.

If a lot of people don't like it, it doesn't make it sh1te. If you're tastes change it doesn't make it sh1te either. You're tastes can change at any time too.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    An example of why this forum is going down the pan.

I don't like hardstyle either. But live and let live.

Go through Members Mixes and look at how many of you guys play the same music.

Someone comes on here looking for info on something he's into, and he's made feel embarrassed.

Childish.

On the last couple of pages of the Member's Mixes there's drum and bass, old skool, electro, bass and uk funky, house and techno... I'm not really sure what your point is there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

@ Dbstf- I like techno, some of it very hard indeed. Some jackin hardtechno/ghetto techno, the likes of Paul Langley or BamBam would be borderline hardstyle, although hardstyle as i understand it is rebadged HardHouse which never really did much for me. I even listen to the odd bit of Breakcore whenever I need a shock to the system. Back in the 90s I was partial to Lenny Dee, Neophyte,The Prophet, SimStim and the like. Stuff that could be classified as Hardcore or Gabber, depending on how precise you want to be about it.

H O W E V E R.......

I can't fúcking stand that Jumpstyle/NuStyle stuff with the big "Melodic" synthy choruses.

That said, if you enjoy it good luck to you. The scene is very much belgian/ dutch/ australian. Keep your eyes open for "Sensation Black". I think its actually on around now, usually the middle of july.
    There was also "Escape" festival in Fairyhouse, but I doubt that'll be going on again due to the main promoter being associated with some "fat" finglas scumbags and getting shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Lilith Cool Worm

Daroxtar wrote: »
    H O W E V E R.......

I can't fúcking stand that Jumpstyle/NuStyle stuff with the big "Melodic" synthy choruses.

I agree 100%. That synthy bollocks really drives me up the wall. The likes of Angerfist makes me wanna jump off a cliff. Come to think of it, he played the Odyssey in Belfast last year, which means there must be some kind of a scene up North - also given they have Radium & Teknoist have recently played Belfast too.

• Advertisement

I think you're right. I think the music is better and cleverer than people give it credit for.

But it would be my idea of absolute hell to be in a crowd of 16 years olds, out of their minds on Red Bull, with this stuff banging.

People can really turn strongly against what they liked listening to as a teenager. It's a bit like they might listen to shouty metal when they're 13, and then be really embarrassed by it by the time they're 22 - they might be listening to Cold Play instead.

If a lot of people don't like it, it doesn't make it sh1te. If you're tastes change it doesn't make it sh1te either. You're tastes can change at any time too.

Actually the big Hardstyle events such as Qlimax or Defqon 1 are strictly over 18's and they are massive. A LOT of people attend them and there is no 16 year olds.

[PHP][/PHP]http://www.planetdamage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/qlimax.jpg[PHP][/PHP]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Actually the big Hardstyle events such as Qlimax or Defqon 1 are strictly over 18's and they are massive. A LOT of people attend them and there is no 16 year olds.

[PHP][/PHP]http://www.planetdamage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/qlimax.jpg[PHP][/PHP]

+1.first hand experience trying to get into a showtek gig when I was 3 weeks from turning 18.very strict security at these events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

On the last couple of pages of the Member's Mixes there's drum and bass, old skool, electro, bass and uk funky, house and techno... I'm not really sure what your point is there...

Go back through the other 67 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

go onto any electronic music site and see amount of tech house releases as oposed to other genres and you will see why its popular here. its probably the most popular genre of electronic music at the moment, of course its gonna have a big following here.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Some people. Baaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

In fairness , id rather listen to Hardstyle than Tech House if given the choice of the 2. i only have to listen to 16 bars of that crap and you know its going straight to the recycle bin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

That's Holland and those are well run Dutch events.

And this not something about Ireland or Holland, or the music played at events.

If you don't run something well, if you don't have proper security, it's like putting up a big neon flashing sign saying "Come on all you nuttahs" And they will come.

That's Holland and those are well run Dutch events.

And this not something about Ireland or Holland, or the music played at events.

If you don't run something well, if you don't have proper security, it's like putting up a big neon flashing sign saying "Come on all you nuttahs" And they will come.

I agree. I was just pointing out the fact that most of the Hardstyle events are over 18's and I have a friend who attended qlimax and defqon a couple of times and he said that it is very well organised, and it you don't have to worry about:
    " a crowd of 16 years olds, out of their minds on Red Bull, with this stuff banging."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Lilith Cool Worm

In fairness, these days this forum is almost entirely tech-house and dubstep crossover, save for bits of D&B and old skool (which has always been limited to the one thread).

Prior to the 'proper techno thread' a few weeks back, I cant remember the last time that techno figured on this forum.

If someone posted a breakcore thread, im sure he'd he get the piss taken out of him just like the hardstyle lad did.

• Advertisement

In fairness, these days this forum is almost entirely tech-house and dubstep crossover, save for bits of D&B and old skool (which has always been limited to the one thread).

Prior to the 'proper techno thread' a few weeks back, I cant remember the last time that techno figured on this forum.

If someone posted a breakcore thread, im sure he'd he get the piss taken out of him just like the hardstyle lad did.

thats because ireland is and always has been limited to a small number of genres compared to uk and other places, its been predominantly house, trance & techno for the better part of 22 years now. i for one got well pissed off with all three years ago and would love the irish public to open their minds to a bit more variation in musical taste, could only be good for the stale scene her atm. apart from dubstep, i can't even remember the last time a totally diffierent style from the three i mentioned above came to the forefront of the scene.

variety is the spice of life after all ;)

Advertisement