Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

maudgonner wrote: »
    Did the episosode of Studio 60 where Allison Janney guest starred bother anyone? She played herself, talking about The West Wing to a character (Cal) played by Timothy Busfield, who played Danny in the West Wing. It made my brain hurt!

Those kind of post modern self references are always dangerous IMO. Sometimes (and this is all just a matter of personal taste) they can be quite amsuing - for example in Castle where Nathan Fillions wants to attend the fancy dress party as a "space cowboy". Othertimes, for example in Ocean's 12 or the one you mentioned above, I find them almost unbearably smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

Another thing I loved about the West Wing was the host of wonderful supporting characters.

Mrs. Landigham
    Mrs. Bartlet (adored their relationship)
    Ainsley Hayes
    Marbury (mostly a caricature but forgive him a lot for the "magnificent breasts" comment)
    Hoynes.
    Andrea Wyatt ("no hands off girls, I saw him first..")
    Donna Moss ( one word - "inflation")
    Bruno Gianelli
    and my own personal favourite Joey Lucas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Ellian wrote: »
    Another thing I loved about the West Wing was the host of wonderful supporting characters.

"No, you idiot - I'M JOEY LUCAS...............
    I've got a very delicate system!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Did the episosode of Studio 60 where Allison Janney guest starred bother anyone? She played herself, talking about The West Wing to a character (Cal) played by Timothy Busfield, who played Danny in the West Wing. It made my brain hurt!

Didnt mind it that much tbh, what i did mind was the show being canceled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Mrs. Landigham
    Ainsley Hayes
    Marbury (mostly a caricature but forgive him a lot for the "magnificent breasts" comment)
    Hoynes.
    Bruno Gianelli

I miss them all. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Mrs. Landigham
    Ainsley Hayes
    Hoynes.
    Bruno Gianelli

And Margaret, don't forget Margaret!
    "We've got separation of powers, checks and balances, and Margaret vetoing things and sending them back to the Hill"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im so happy, im on episode 20 of season 2 and planning on watching at least 4 today(unemployed student)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Mrs. Landigham
    Ainsley Hayes
    Hoynes.
    Bruno Gianelli

Marbury was a legend!

Marbury was a legend!
    He was a great character which I would have loved to see more of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Aren't we forgetting Leo's daughter, Mallory... :pac:

Fitz and Dr. Nancy McNally, too.

Re Toby, mega spoilers ahead for the later years.
    the leak storyline, sigh...awful. Here's a question Richard Schiff took on it.

What were your thoughts on the direction the WW writers took with Toby? Would Sorkin's Toby have done the same thing?

RS: Never in ten billion years. Aaron actually wrote me an email when he heard what was being done to Toby and it pretty much broke his heart, as it did my spirit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Aren't we forgetting Leo's daughter, Mallory... :pac:

Fitz and Dr. Nancy McNally, too.

Re Toby, mega spoilers ahead for the later years.
    the leak storyline, sigh...awful. Here's a question Richard Schiff took on it.

What were your thoughts on the direction the WW writers took with Toby? Would Sorkin's Toby have done the same thing?

RS: Never in ten billion years. Aaron actually wrote me an email when he heard what was being done to Toby and it pretty much broke his heart, as it did my spirit...

Ye they took such a great character in Toby and
    p!ssed all over him with that storyline.
    If I remember correctly he
    wasn't even in the final episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My favourite ever supporting character - Lionel Tribbey! The cricket bat scene in Season 2 is fantastic.

Such a shame he only got to appear in one episode. As far as I know, he was supposed to reappear in Season 3 but John Larroquette had other commitments so they had to introduce Oliver Babish as Tribbey's replacement.....oh and spoiler tags added just in case new people to TWW wouldn't wanna know that he's only in one episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

My earliest memory of The West Wing was seeing an ad for the season 2 finale on Channel 4 that involved that famous President guy in a soaking wet suit being asked at a press conference whether he was going to run for re-election.

I scoffed at it.

I scoffed partly because of how ridiculous it looked to have the US President appear at a press conference with water droplets running down his face, but I mainly scoffed at the very idea that they weren't going to have the main character run for re-election, as that would mean the end of the show. It came across as yet another cheesy American "drama" that was popular because it had some famous guy in it.

A couple of years later, I decided to give the show a chance (towards the end of season 4) and I enjoyed it so I got the first few seasons on DVD to see what I missed. Now, that scene at the end of Two Cathedrals is my favourite television scene of all time. I would even go so far as to call that scene transcendental. It's one of those moments where the writing, the directing, the acting, the lighting, the editing, and especially the music... everything is as close to perfect as can be. There are very few moments of television that can match it. (And a few of those are also in The West Wing. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

TheGodBen wrote: »
    My earliest memory of The West Wing was seeing an ad for the season 2 finale on Channel 4 that involved that famous President guy in a soaking wet suit being asked at a press conference whether he was going to run for re-election.

I scoffed at it.

I scoffed partly because of how ridiculous it looked to have the US President appear at a press conference with water droplets running down his face, but I mainly scoffed at the very idea that they weren't going to have the main character run for re-election, as that would mean the end of the show. It came across as yet another cheesy American "drama" that was popular because it had some famous guy in it.

A couple of years later, I decided to give the show a chance (towards the end of season 4) and I enjoyed it so I got the first few seasons on DVD to see what I missed. Now, that scene at the end of Two Cathedrals is my favourite television scene of all time. I would even go so far as to call that scene transcendental. It's one of those moments where the writing, the directing, the acting, the lighting, the editing, and especially the music... everything is as close to perfect as can be. There are very few moments of television that can match it. (And a few of those are also in The West Wing. ;))

It really is all about the build-up and the context. It works because they didn't rush things like a lot of other shows seem to do. I've seen whole storylines packed into a couple of episodes and it rarely works, I find.

I think that's what I like about The Wire as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

TheGodBen wrote: »

I scoffed at it.

My favourite TV scene of all time too. Gripping stuff with probably the perfect song playing too.

Think it might be time for another rerun through the DVDs while there isnt much on during the Summer. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm eight or nine episodes into Season Four now, and I think Joey Lucas may be the greatest supporting character in all of television. She needs more screentime!

I'm a bit bored of Leo. They should make Joey Chief of Staff :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Fantastic series, great dialogue and one big (if somewhat dysfunctional) family of memorable characters. Politics as you would like it to be.

Then there is the way we do it here. Lets see how many funerals we can get in this weekend before phoning in to that reality TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm going to see the president on Sunday:
    http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/programme.php?ct=special-events&cid=13&t=an-afternoon-with-martin-sheen&id=61

Bet he's better craic than Obama too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm going to see the president on Sunday:
    http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/programme.php?ct=special-events&cid=13&t=an-afternoon-with-martin-sheen&id=61

Bet he's better craic than Obama too!

Bring this sign!

bartlet4america.jpg?w=480

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

no no, you should bring this one:

166034.JPG

:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I could never understand the appeal of this show. I forced myself to watch 4 episodes but it was dire. The dialogue is terribly fake and the show just seems to love itself so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I could never understand the appeal of this show. I forced myself to watch 4 episodes but it was dire. The dialogue is terribly fake and the show just seems to love itself so much.

Watch the first season. If you are not hooked by the end, I will be shocked.

Fair enough, people have differing opinions. But the quality of the writing and acting should remove any doubt that the show is 'fake'.

I'll probably not bother. I can't see myself ever warming to it.

I'll probably not bother. I can't see myself ever warming to it.
    Thats fair enough - not everyone likes the same thing.
    To be fair to it though, the writing gets exceptionally good more and more as lonf as Sorkin was at the helm.
    ...And I know your a fan of good writing. So for that alone, maybe you could concentrate on a few later episodes and see how sentence structure, dialogue and other aspects are brought into being and carried out. :)
    (The show won a load of awards including for its writing)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Having an interest in American politics and good television I both the box set without seeing an episode...think I watched about 8 episodes and never bothered to watch anymore.

I find the dialogue incredibly fake and contrived...its like everything everybody says to each other is witty in a putdown sort of way and it just gets old. I never forgot I was watching a television show. At best the writing is unrealistic at worst it is reminiscent of a cheap daytime television show.

I realise Im going against the grain on this one but just could not see the appeal (and thats not even mentioning the over blown sentimentality, ridiculous idealism and annoying one sidedness of the show).

Martin Sheen is fantastic in it Ill say that but find the rest of the characters annoying.

I find the dialogue incredibly fake and contrived...its like everything everybody says to each other is witty in a putdown sort of way and it just gets old. I never forgot I was watching a television show.

Exactly. Studio 60 was the same but at least you could reconcile that with the fact the characters were supposed to be TV comedians and writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

It should be noted that when the series began it was considered something of a dramedy and the comedic angle was given more emphasis, probably because Aaron Sorkin's only other TV show was the comedy series Sports Night. Over the course of the first season the show transitioned into being more of a drama series and, though it was still present, the comedic element wasn't as intrusive.

I began rewatching the series earlier this year and I must admit that I found some of the early episodes obnoxious as they were trying too hard to be funny, the most noticeable of which was the scene where Bartlet was high on painkillers, which I found myself cringing through. But somewhere around the middle of the season it stopped being noticable, by the end of the season I was hooked again, and by the second season it really is something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As I understand when it started Rob Lowe (Sam Seabourn) was supposed to be the main character, the show was meant to be about the staffers.

The President was only supposed to be a cameo actor, always in the background but rarely appearing.

That all changed.
    Though Rob Lowe remained the highest paid actor due to his contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

cjmcork wrote: »
    "No, you idiot - I'M JOEY LUCAS...............
    I've got a very delicate system!!!"

aw man - started back watching this a few weeks back................Take this, the Sabbath day just came on..........oh happy day!

Advertisement