Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick-On-Suir

• 05-12-2005 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Why is it that all people from here are regarded as knacks? I have first-hand experience of many knacks from here, and I was just wondering is it just me or is there something about that town...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Carrick-on-Suir has the highest unemployment rate for a town in Ireland, 900 of the town's 4500 population is unemployed or 20% of the population so maybe thats why there are so many scumbags there. But I'd say its like anywhere else, some bad people and some good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's my personal hell on earth always disliked the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Has a lots of scobes all right...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Thread_Crap_Wont_Die_RE_mega_zombie_forum-s300x371-97014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Full of crew cut, tracksuit wearing , socks rolled up over pants, chain wearing, spliff smoking scumbags :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

So not much has changed in 6 years then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

So not much has changed in 6 years then?

not much has changed in 60 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I have the misfortune of having to pass through the place a few times per week. I rarely see a 15 yo+ girl who isn't pushing a buggy or preggers. I dont accept that unemployed crap.
    I was unemployed for a yr or so after finishing college and i didnt feel compelled to drink dutch gold, inject junk, rob pensioners, stab people with syringes or roar abuse at others.
    Simple unfortunate fact is that most of the population there are just of poor character. It's about a lack of dicipline and manners.
    When you get within 5 miles of the place, the smell of piss is quite evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

I have the misfortune of having to pass through the place a few times per week. I rarely see a 15 yo+ girl who isn't pushing a buggy or preggers. I dont accept that unemployed crap.
    I was unemployed for a yr or so after finishing college and i didnt feel compelled to drink dutch gold, inject junk, rob pensioners, stab people with syringes or roar abuse at others.
    Simple unfortunate fact is that most of the population there are just of poor character. It's about a lack of dicipline and manners.

on first reading of this i thought this poster has had a problem with the youth in general and on further reading of your other posts i was right.
    dont know why you feel the need to include carrick in your rants unless it was carrick yobs that shouldered you or carrick yobs that shouted hey you and then chased you.
    you dont seem to have anything positive to say about anything i would suggest taking the chip off your shoulder(or let some yob do it for ya).
    every town/city has its problems just as every estate either council or private has and yes even the posh youth can be f##kers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

tsoparno wrote: »
    on first reading of this i thought this poster has had a problem with the youth in general and on further reading of your other posts i was right.
    dont know why you feel the need to include carrick in your rants unless it was carrick yobs that shouldered you or carrick yobs that shouted hey you and then chased you.
    you dont seem to have anything positive to say about anything i would suggest taking the chip off your shoulder(or let some yob do it for ya).
    every town/city has its problems just as every estate either council or
    private has and yes even the posh youth can be f##kers to.

Yeah but Carrick is a sh1t hole and there is a lot of knacks there

• Advertisement

daddydick wrote: »
    Yeah but Carrick is a sh1t hole and there is a lot of knacks there

ha you must of bullied by some carrick youths man up would ya,wtf **** is a knack never heard it before

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Just laughing at this...

I grew up in Carrick, moved to Waterford years ago and both parents were originally from Waterford anyway so my links to Carrick are not as influenced as most people's links to their own hometown that are currently ranting about Carrick in this thread.

I like to think that I can easily enough see the good and bad in most people, I work in a psychiatric hospital and used to DJ in a pub in Carrick so got to see a lot of them out while I was totally sober.

There is somewhere between 20 and 50 true scumbags there, the rest are the same as most others - they look out for their friends up until they think they are totally wrong. They are generally out for a good night, very rarely would any of them consider that to mean at the cost of someone else's fun. Most of them are the most down to earth people you'll likely meet.

This could easily be said about anywhere though.

I've seen first hand and have had to deal with a lot of the problems in Waterford City, all I can say is I'm a lot more shocked here than I was in Carrick on Suir.

You'll meet good and bad everywhere, but generally - if you look for trouble; you'll find it.

yeah!Too bad that "looking out for their friends" means when one of them imposes on you in some way and if you were to defend yourself, you'd then have to deal with about 50 or 60 neighbours and brothers and cousins and uncles and aunties and fathers and so on who would are all only too willing to put a stanley across someones face.
    I like carrick as a town, its very pretty but i still would not feel safe walking there at night (or day). I'd always be looking over my shoulder and be very suspicious of the youths there.
    I know theres plenty normal people, but there are also a lot of nasties and scumbags. I don't know why that is. Its only a small town and has plenty of facilities and things to do.

From my experience the "down to earthness" they have means having no ambition in life, only to have 3 children by age 20 and make a living from "choil benefih", or children's allowance as it's know in the civilised world. (I would regard Carrick as semi-civilised)

as said earlier, i drive through carrick every day almost and the amount of teen/young mothers with more than one "choild" is extraordinary. The young men you see hanging around by the park and along that road are quite unsavoury looking. I'm from cahir and you just don't see that type of thing around here.

If you read the nationalist, on the courts page almost every case (3 out of 4) that is written about that is drugs/violence/drink driving related happened in carrick. Read it yourselves and see!
    Now of course there are ocasional fights after nights out in cahir, but its usually just a "good natured" punch up between a few lads, and then everyone goes home.- no knives or anything. I'm speaking from what i see on a daily basis, thats all.

@fatb(willie)
    your wasting yer time explaining anything to m&c he clearly knows everything about carrick from passing through and reading newspapers.clearly something happened to him in carrick that he never quite got over.
    master time is a great healericon12.gif

If you read the nationalist, on the courts page almost every case (3 out of 4) that is written about that is drugs/violence/drink driving related happened in carrick. Read it yourselves and see!
    Now of course there are ocasional fights after nights out in cahir, but its usually just a "good natured" punch up between a few lads, and then everyone goes home.- no knives or anything. I'm speaking from what i see on a daily basis, thats all.

For a start, The Nationalist is a Clonmel newspaper. Are you honestly trying to tell me that more court cases are heard in Carrick than in Clonmel? Ever wondered why you've not heard of the Clonmel cases?

I feel quite a lot of your negativity is uncalled for. If your driving through Carrick from Cahir, then your heading to Waterford and your driving past 2 Primary Schools, 3 Seconday Schools and a few play grounds/green areas... Perhaps they have been blessed by the fountain of youth, are minding their nephews and nieces or you happen to see the same young pregnant teenager again and again because you would most likely be heading through there at the same time each day.

I would prefer if when quoting me, you used it in context... I did say "they look out for their friends up until they think they are totally wrong".

I'm more than sure if you got a hiding in the past, you probably deserved it. Just judging on your attitude here anyway.

Perhaps instead of pointing the finger, you should write to your local TD and ask that they try help place's like Carrick and Tipp Town. People get caught in a trap that seems to be a never ending cycle.

Also, fair dues to you for cycling from Cahir to Waterford everyday. You must have pretty good raingear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 katiebent

Get the f*ck off your high horse & shove your stereotypes up your hole please! What was even the need for the teen pregnancy comment? Does it even concern you if a teenager gets knocked up? Times have changed, it's pretty normal these days in case you didn't know. & No, before you stereotype me, I'm not a teen mother.
    & Do you realise that our country's f*cked & lots of people are unemployed, including myself, we don't all inject ourselves & stab people just cos we don't have jobs.
    You'll find bad people in every single town in Ireland, & in the world for that matter, so don't even stereotype Carrick, surely you have better things to do with your time seeing as you're employed, unlike us 'gear injecting dutch gold drinking wasters'.

.........What was even the need for the teen pregnancy comment? Does it even concern you if a teenager gets knocked up? Times have changed, it's pretty normal these days in case you didn't know........

I know it is quite normal these days, but i think it shouldn't be so. Having kids in the teens (or scool and college years) does the mother no good. Think of the effect it will have on education and such, it is quite likely to be severly hampered. Education cut short is likely to lead to difficulty gaining employment and employment found will be lower paid in most cases, compared to if they had finished third level.
    Ask yourself this - Is it just a co-incidence that the girls in school who got ahead, good grades, university, career(vet, doctor etc) are the ones who did not have babies in school, and the ones who did have babies as teens can now be seen pushing prams around and most have crap low paid jobs with little opportunity for advancement, or no job. If I walked around Cahir today, I could certainly point out examples of both categories to you.

These factors could lead to a higher dependancy on the state in the form of dole and choild benefih. Now i know some manage to continue through and finish education and get a good career and fair play to them, but it is made much more difficult compared to if they were to have kids (planned) later in life.

A little example:
    One girl (cousin) 2 yrs behind me in school: had baby, dropped out, didn't do leaving, now hanging around the town with no job
    Girl in my class : model student, award for best leaving that yr i think, university, now a vet. Guess what?? no baby during teens.
    There is a relationship between teen pregnancy and low educational and career attainment.

Also when a girl who has potential sees all her peers gettin knocked up around her, it can be a contagious phenomenon, she will be more inclined to do so. I suspect this is a contributing factor to the large number of teen mothers in Carrick on Suir.

Listen, I don't sugar coat things, I'm not in the PC brigade - I just tell it like i see it, and i will make no apology for it. Thats all. I know many will agree with me.

By the way, I aint on any high horse. And i'm not a conservative old git as you are suspecting. I'm 25.

..........fountain of youth, are minding their nephews and nieces or you happen to see the same young p..........

A little off topic, but this phenomenon of families in some areas getting extended families over involed in the activities of the immediate family is quite strange to me.
    I know some people who can't do anything without getting countless uncles and auties and cousins and 2nd cousins involved, and who practically live in each others houses.
    Around our area, this is not so common, people tend to keep their activities within the immediate family, its much simpler that way. My family doesn't bother with the extended family thing at all, we generally don't mix with the extended crowd unless there is a wedding or funeral. You may find it strange, but most of our relatives, particularly on dads side, are regarded as a pain in the arse, and are at best tolerated and certainly not encouraged.
    I've never really known any cousins or that, only their names, and sometimes not even names, and i couldn't really care less. I think we are the better for it as most of them have shown themselves to be useless - 2 generations of teen mothers (cousin had a baby at 15 and then that baby had another baby at 14 :eek:) , and all of them are education drop outs, and either have no job or crap jobs. Uncle is sound (good carpenter) but married to a no-good c*nt.
    Mothers side are'nt as bad but we generally don't bother with them either, they are kept at arms length.
    IT's better that way as conflicts can't occur, and you don't have to deal with relatives and all their f*cking issues.

My usage of Nieces and Nephews was purely for "what if".

Like you, I have very little to do with my extended family, but I do regret it. Living in a town with no extended family did that to me. I can't even say I would know all of my cousins if I met them in the street anymore. In fact, the only reason why I might would be because of Facebook if anything.

You on the other hand, have no excuse. Ever thought of helping your family? Ever thought of helping others instead of just putting them down?

You can clearly see the problems that create this modern day early child trap, however, you seem to forget that it was always a common case - the only difference today is that kids are not simply put into a religious institution for the entirety of their life. There is a lot more support structure around and I for one am quite proud of Ireland not forgetting people.

I could easily emigrate, much like around 50 of my friends (I'm only 28, not too much older than you), but I went for a more stable job while those around me were heading for trades that were being oversubscribed and overpaid for years. The main problem in Carrick is lack of jobs, if people could earn a decent wage, 99% of them would gladly do it.

I would like to use the 99% figure for young mothers also. I would imagine that 99% of young mothers did not do it intentionally. However, there's nothing like strong goals to keep you alert on contraception and being careful about it.

However, who is to say we are right to even try and keep people from having kids early. Are you telling me you can put your hand on your heart and say that your life is so much better than your early child giving cousin? Perhaps it's the best thing ever happened to them. In fact, you probably don't know.

Just for reference sake, I have 3 brothers and a sister - one of the boys is 16, the rest are over 22, none of us have kids. We all grew up in Carrick and most have met Carrick people while dating etc.

Looking over my leaving cert class from 10 years ago, only 6 of them have had kids already. That is men and women, it was a mixed school with 32 in the class. Only 1 of them was pregnant when leaving, we had no early drop outs or anything else along the way.

Your observations are certainly too much in the minority for you to be labeling the town as bad. There is very strong river rescue, Civil Defence, Red Cross and St. Vincent De Paul volunteering among my age and younger, along with many other activities of course, we have 2 very strong drama groups with one of them being the longest running in the country and the other putting on highly acclaimed productions every year. We have 2 of the best GAA clubs in Tipperary, with both of them aiming for high heights each year. Carrick is by no means as bad as your Trolling makes out and I feel that you are being far too high and mighty when labeling the town to be sooooooo much worse than your own.

I'm done with this conversation, I feel highly offended for anyone from the town, especially those trying to stay there to make it a better place in this current economic crisis.

I'm done with this conversation....

Good, so am I.

• Advertisement

Can't we just agree that Carrick is a dump?

*opens can of worms :P

In fairness M&C is only saying what he sees and it's what I see as well anytime I unfortunately have to travel through the awful place!
    There youth soccer team is full little Scumbags and do nothing but abuse the referee and kick the sh!t out of the opposition and I can't help but think it's what most the teens are like in the town.
    And I also see in the local papers that the majority of court cases are at Carrick Court for drugs and other scumbag activities.

Ps I'm not an old man

Ps I'm not an old man

just a troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I know it is quite normal these days, but i think it shouldn't be so. Having kids in the teens (or scool and college years) does the mother no good. Think of the effect it will have on education and such, it is quite likely to be severly hampered. Education cut short is likely to lead to difficulty gaining employment and employment found will be lower paid in most cases, compared to if they had finished third level.
    Ask yourself this - Is it just a co-incidence that the girls in school who got ahead, good grades, university, career(vet, doctor etc) are the ones who did not have babies in school, and the ones who did have babies as teens can now be seen pushing prams around and most have crap low paid jobs with little opportunity for advancement, or no job. If I walked around Cahir today, I could certainly point out examples of both categories to you.

These factors could lead to a higher dependancy on the state in the form of dole and choild benefih. Now i know some manage to continue through and finish education and get a good career and fair play to them, but it is made much more difficult compared to if they were to have kids (planned) later in life.

A little example:
    One girl (cousin) 2 yrs behind me in school: had baby, dropped out, didn't do leaving, now hanging around the town with no job
    Girl in my class : model student, award for best leaving that yr i think, university, now a vet. Guess what?? no baby during teens.
    There is a relationship between teen pregnancy and low educational and career attainment.

Also when a girl who has potential sees all her peers gettin knocked up around her, it can be a contagious phenomenon, she will be more inclined to do so. I suspect this is a contributing factor to the large number of teen mothers in Carrick on Suir.

Listen, I don't sugar coat things, I'm not in the PC brigade - I just tell it like i see it, and i will make no apology for it. Thats all. I know many will agree with me.

By the way, I aint on any high horse. And i'm not a conservative old git as you are suspecting. I'm 25.

But everyone can not get college educated! If they did who will serve you in a shop or cook your food?

just a troll

Since when is expressing my opinion being a troll? If anything your reply was trollish as you made no reference to the title of the thread or any of it's content!
    As any mods will say if you don't like it then report it!

Choi

Since when is expressing my opinion being a troll? If anything your reply was trollish as you made no reference to the title of the thread or any of it's content!
    As any mods will say if you don't like it then report it!

Choi

the problem is what your opinion is based on, is it on M and C's comments from just passing through cause he'd really know what a town is like from passing through;) or is it formed opinion of a whole town from one youths football game and the local rags court pages that only have carrick court cases get real man.
    as already said ere in the thread EVERY town has problems so look around your own town first.

the problem is what your opinion is based on, is it on M and C's comments from just passing through cause he'd really know what a town is like from passing through;) or is it formed opinion of a whole town from one youths football game and the local rags court pages that only have carrick court cases get real man.
    as already said ere in the thread EVERY town has problems so look around your own town first.

Fair enough and I agree with most what you said

I was only just pointing out my own experiences of carrick and it would be foolish of me to think that everyone in carrick must be a scumbag

and my own village is a bit of a dump as well, maybe I should just lower my expectations and join in with the inbreeding and get a degree in unemployment in my local village like the rest of em rather than moaning about it......oops I think that gives away what village I'm living in. :)

my own village is a bit of a dump as well, maybe I should just lower my expectations and join in with the inbreeding and get a degree in unemployment in my local village like the rest of em rather than moaning about it......oops I think that gives away what village I'm living in. :)

those degree's seem to be working for the whole country at the mo so why not:D and nope dunno wot village your from cause their all the same:p

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Can't we just agree that Carrick is a dump?

*opens can of worms :P

In fairness M&C is only saying what he sees and it's what I see as well anytime I unfortunately have to travel through the awful place!
    There youth soccer team is full little Scumbags and do nothing but abuse the referee and kick the sh!t out of the opposition and I can't help but think it's what most the teens are like in the town.
    And I also see in the local papers that the majority of court cases are at Carrick Court for drugs and other scumbag activities

theres nothing wrong with carrick everywhere have scumbags

proud carrick man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Worked there for years my family had a business there but were not from there.

Full of knackers and scumbags but also a lot of very decent people too.

I would never live there because of the trouble though. Often had to clean blood off the shop windows on a Sunday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Went to carrick for secondary school. A lot of rough people but lovely people too.

Advertisement